Windows XP is Invincible

Microsoft Finds It Impossible to Kill Windows XP

Microsoft is very keen to discontinue Windows XP on April 8, 2014, so the company goes on with its efforts to encourage all users to migrate to a newer platform, hopefully Windows 8.

The problem is that recent market figures demonstrate that users aren’t quite willing to dump Windows XP in the favor of a newer operating system, so getting rid of the 11-year-old platform could be quite a serious challenge for the Redmond-based giant.

According to market researcher Net Applications, Windows XP currently holds a share of 38.73 percent, which makes it the second most popular operating system in the world after Windows 7.

Windows XP has lost only a small number of users in 2013, as its overall market share dropped from 39.51 percent in January 2013 to 38.73 percent last month, while both Windows 7 and Windows 8 have improved their figures.

The latest set of data provided by Valve’s Steam platform reveals that Windows XP still holds a 8.72 percent market share, while Windows 7 remains the dominant operating system with a total of 68.51 percent.

Microsoft, on the other hand, continues its efforts to move users to newer platforms, offering support to those who may encounter difficulties when it comes to deploying Windows 7 or Windows 8.

“We recommend that customers running computers with Windows XP take action and update or upgrade their PCs before the end-of-support date. If Windows XP is still being run in your environment and you feel that migration will not be complete by April 8, 2014, or you haven't begun migration yet, Microsoft is eager to help,” the company said in a statement released recently.

Of course, sticking to Windows XP could cause not only security issues, but also app compatibility problems, as some software solutions might not support the 11-year-old operating system.

8.72 percent market share will soon be eroded over the coming months.

Many people nowadays do not need a computer, they just need Internet access to email and use social websites so are purchasing tablets or using their smart phones instead of computers / laptops.

The latest set of data provided by Valve’s Steam platform reveals that Windows XP still holds a 8.72 percent market share, while Windows 7 remains the dominant operating system with a total of 68.51 percent.

Steam is a gaming platform, isn't it?

Gamers want the newest computers, so they'll always have the newest operating system.

I'd like to see similar statistics for business and corporate customers, which might tell a different story. Would businesses upgrade tens of thousands of computers to a new OS, then have to purchase all their applications again because the old ones don't run under the new OS, just so Steve Ballmer can pay himself $1million to sit on his backside while Microsoft loses market share to Apple [computers], Samsung [phones] and Linux [operating systems]?

Under Steve Ballmer (CEO) Microsoft have stagnated. Tell me one killer application / device that Microsoft have brought out since he took charge?

Microsoft have rested on their laurels for several years, doing little more than locking their corporate customers into their products, then gouging them for revenue with their expensive expensive 'upgrade insurance' ponzi-style schemes

It's time the board were replaced.

(sorry, going off topic here) :blush:

Well you could argue that they have a killer app in the form of UEFI (Secure Boot) - for example, if you try and install GNU/Linux on a Samsung Notebook, even after trying to circumvent UEFI, it will brick it! (kill it dead).

So if you want to change the mother 'board' :hihi: you are better going for those that have GNU/Linux embedded:

1. Lemote hardware

2. Beagle boards

At least then you will have the fun of building your own computer and know that everthing will work with GNU/Linux!:hihi:

Well you could argue that they have a killer app in the form of UEFI (Secure Boot) - for example, if you try and install GNU/Linux on a Samsung Notebook, even after trying to circumvent UEFI, it will brick it! (kill it dead).

What does UEFI do? Apart from getting in the way of technical users, that is?

I had a Dell laptop that was installed with Windows 8; I had to deactivate UEFI in the BIOS so that I could boot from the optical drive and install Windows 7. (Yeah, really secure boot that was :roll: )

What is it?

Why is it there?

Who had this bright idea?

How does it work?

Where do you want to go today?

Where do you want to go tomorrow?

:huh:

Edited by The Joker

What does UEFI do? Apart from getting in the way of technical users, that is?

I had a Dell laptop that was installed with Windows 8; I had to deactivate UEFI in the BIOS so that I could boot from the optical drive and install Windows 7. (Yeah, really secure boot that was :roll: )

What is it?

Why is it there?

Who had this bright idea?

How does it work?

Where do you want to go today?

Where do you want to go tomorrow?

:huh:

http://www.uefi.org/about/

Basically, firmware has a 'signing key' that will only allow certain software with the same key to be installed. Fedora and Ubuntu have been trying to create 'shims' to circumvent it but felt the wrath of the Free Software Foundation as they were attempting to drop GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader) in the process.

Samsung article:

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/UEFI-on-Samsung-notebooks-Half-full-is-almost-broken-1827493.html

http://techrights.org/2013/01/31/bricked-by-uefi/

"Yes you do have a choice, so long as it is Windows" to paraphrase Mr Ford on the colours available for the Model-T - "You can have any colour you want, so long as it is black!"

I am sure Google have picked up on this as well!:hihi:

Edited by swarfendor43

What does UEFI do?

What is it?

Why is it there?

How does it work?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/22/protecting-the-pre-os-environment-with-uefi.aspx

In most PCs today, the pre-operating system environment is vulnerable to attacks by redirecting the boot loader handoff to possible malicious loaders. These loaders would remain undetected to operating system security measures and antimalware software.

The feature would be transparent to the consumer purchasing a PC. The benefit is that their system has an added measure of reliability from bootkit and rootkit attacks that target system vulnerabilities before the operating system itself even loads, as described above.

Under Steve Ballmer (CEO) Microsoft have stagnated. Tell me one killer application / device that Microsoft have brought out since he took charge?

Surface & windows phone 8 :suspect:

Ps Xp is rubbish and outdated like its users.

Surface & windows phone 8 :suspect:

I don't think 'killer application' is meant to refer to one that kills the company that produced it. ;)

I don't think 'killer application' is meant to refer to one that kills the company that produced it. ;)

I think you will find the (company) killer app is coming just before Xmas and will bomb hard. :|