Errors in the Bible

Nonsense, Nazism was all too compatible with Xianity and its centuries old history of viscous anti-semitism.

Not really.

I think: Poor understanding of scripture, perhaps; deluded perhaps; deliberate manipulation of scripture, perhaps; but compatible, no.

Missing out on the "love thy neighbour" part of christianity takes the rampant and heinous ideology of Nazism about as far from christianity as I can possibly imagine.

Now it's clear that you aren't a student of ideology Harleyman but what about British history? Have you ever heard of the Diggers?

Like the early Christians they were 'communists' long before Marx and just about as religious as it's possible to be.

Not really.

I think: Poor understanding of scripture, perhaps; deluded perhaps; deliberate manipulation of scripture, perhaps; but compatible, no.

Missing out on the "love thy neighbour" part of christianity takes the rampant and heinous ideology of Nazism about as far from christianity as I can possibly imagine.

Contrary to what you seem to think Christianity is not limited to the narrow version of it you follow.

Contrary to what you seem to think Christianity is not limited to the narrow version of it you follow.

It may be a narrow version in your opinion, but "love thy neighbour" seems quite simple to me, and the parable of the good samaritan has layers of depth.

It may be a narrow version in your opinion, but "love thy neighbour" seems quite simple to me, and the parable of the good samaritan has layers of depth.

Christianity is defined by a belief that Jesus Christ was the one true god not by 'loving your neighbour' (and just who is your neighbour anyway?).

The Southern Baptist Convention (which of course initially split from the national baptists due Northern Baptists opposition to slavery and white supremacy) for example hardly has a history of loving non-white neighbours, are you going to claim that isn't a Xian group now? If it isn't Xian then what is and was it?

Christianity is defined by a belief that Jesus Christ was the one true god not by 'loving your neighbour'.

The Southern Baptist Convention (which of course initially split from the national baptists due Northern Baptists opposition to slavery and white supremacy) for example hardly has a history of loving non-white neighbours, are you going to claim that isn't a Xian group now? If it isn't Xian then what is and was it?

I think there are some christian sects that have some very questionable ideas. I'm not familiar with the southern baptist convention, but from what you say, they seemingly had another agenda, I don't know. Perhaps they too overlooked the "love thy neighbour" bit too.

Maybe they should read the bible more often.

I think there are some christian sects that have some very questionable ideas. I'm not familiar with the southern baptist convention, but from what you say, they seemingly had another agenda, I don't know. Perhaps they too overlooked the "love thy neighbour" bit too.

Maybe they should read the bible more often.

To quote wikipedia:

"The Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) is a United States-based, Christian denomination. It is the world's largest Baptist denomination and the largest Protestant body in the US with over 16 million members and more than 42,000 churches.[2]

The word Southern in Southern Baptist Convention stems from its having been founded and rooted in the Southern United States. The SBC became a separate denomination in 1845 in Augusta, Georgia, following a regional split with northern Baptists over the issues of slavery and missions. Since the 1940s, the SBC has lost some of its regional identity.[3] While still heavily concentrated in the US South, the SBC has member churches across America and has 42 state conventions.[4]

Southern Baptists put a heavy emphasis on the individual conversion experience including a public immersion in water for baptism and a corresponding rejection of infant baptism.[4] SBC churches are evangelical in doctrine and practice. Specific beliefs based on biblical interpretation can vary somewhat due to the congregational governance system that gives autonomy to individual local Baptist churches."

They're one of the most influential religious grouping in the US and being fundamentalists read their bibles a hell of a lot.

The point is though that this is a evangelical Xian organisation founded to defend the institution of race slavery (something which is of course all too easy to defend with scripture). Now whether this was because they ignored the bit about 'love your neighbour" (because all Xians ignore sizeable chunks of the bible), or if they didn't consider non-whites to be their neighbour or if they considered 'looking after' blacks by enslaving them (in the way Grahame attempts to characterise biblical slavery) to be 'loving them' I don't exactly know. But you have to concede that they were Christian and if they could be why not Nazis?

Now it's clear that you aren't a student of ideology Harleyman but what about British history? Have you ever heard of the Diggers?

Like the early Christians they were 'communists' long before Marx and just about as religious as it's possible to be.

They didn't call themselves Communists though did they? Their leaders probably weren't corrupt and self serving as the Soviet type and they didn't pack their fellow Diggers off to the Gulags.

Like B. Trautmann you are trying to avoid the issue of whether Soviet Communists were theist or atheist by bringing up long forgotten societies that believed in the basic concept of sharing and communal property.

Once more to refresh. My argument is that the Communists who ruled Russia and the the rest of eastern Europe were atheists according to their doctrines.

They could not have tolerated religion as religion was a threat to their existence as you even mentioned in an earlier post

Once more to refresh. My argument is that the Communists who ruled Russia and the the rest of eastern Europe were atheists according to their doctrines.

That has never been your argument until now. You've constantly tried to claim that no communist at all can ever be anything other than an atheist. Invoking this restriction all of a sudden, suggests very strongly that you've lost the argument to Plekhanov.

To quote wikipedia:

"The Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) is a United States-based, Christian denomination. It is the world's largest Baptist denomination and the largest Protestant body in the US with over 16 million members and more than 42,000 churches.[2]

The word Southern in Southern Baptist Convention stems from its having been founded and rooted in the Southern United States. The SBC became a separate denomination in 1845 in Augusta, Georgia, following a regional split with northern Baptists over the issues of slavery and missions. Since the 1940s, the SBC has lost some of its regional identity.[3] While still heavily concentrated in the US South, the SBC has member churches across America and has 42 state conventions.[4]

Southern Baptists put a heavy emphasis on the individual conversion experience including a public immersion in water for baptism and a corresponding rejection of infant baptism.[4] SBC churches are evangelical in doctrine and practice. Specific beliefs based on biblical interpretation can vary somewhat due to the congregational governance system that gives autonomy to individual local Baptist churches."

I know how to google Plekanov, and I'd already taken your word for it.

They're one of the most influential religious grouping in the US and being fundamentalists read their bibles a hell of a lot.
OK.

The point is though that this is a evangelical Xian organisation founded to defend the institution of race slavery (something which is of course all too easy to defend with scripture). Now whether this was because they ignored the bit about 'love your neighbour" (because all Xians ignore sizeable chunks of the bible), or if they didn't consider non-whites to be their neighbour or if they considered 'looking after' blacks by enslaving them <snip> to be 'loving them' I don't exactly know. But you have to concede that they were Christian and if they could be why not Nazis?

Plenty more to learn then.

I would concede that they called themselves Christian. But for all I know, they may have been goose-stepping around the altar, rather than reading the bible.

They didn't call themselves Communists though did they? Their leaders probably weren't corrupt and self serving as the Soviet type and they didn't pack their fellow Diggers off to the Gulags.

Like B. Trautmann you are trying to avoid the issue of whether Soviet Communists were theist or atheist by bringing up long forgotten societies that believed in the basic concept of sharing and communal property.

No I'm not, why would I try to 'avoid' something which in no way impinges upon my position?

I have denied is your claim that "A true Communist could never believe in god so therefore he was an atheist" a claim that you have maintained until this most recent post.

To consistently point out to you that not all communists are or were Marxist-Leninists, as Trautman and I have done is in no way to deny that Lenin and so forth were atheists and it is most dishonest of you to pretend otherwise.

They could not have tolerated religion as religion was a threat to their existence as you even mentioned in an earlier post

This simply isn't true, how can you seriously expect to get away with such blatant dishonesty when your earlier posts are there for all to see and quote?

Until now this has been your argument "A true Communist could never believe in god so therefore he was an atheist" and that is what I have argued against.

Plenty more to learn then.

I would concede that they called themselves Christian. But for all I know, they may have been goose-stepping around the altar, rather than reading the bible.

If you want to see what a baptists service is like there are lots on line. In my experience there's preaching from the pulpit, bible readings, singing and no goose-stepping.

"Goose-stepping" is neither here nor there though what matters is that this is an explicitly Xian organisation founded upon a belief in the bible (which in fact has a good deal to say about how far from the bible your church has strayed) and that Jesus is the saviour of mankind which conspicuously failed to "love your neighbour" in anyway you'd understand it. As such doesn't this rather destroy your claim that Nazism was incompatible with Christianity because:

"Missing out on the "love thy neighbour" part of christianity takes the rampant and heinous ideology of Nazism about as far from christianity as I can possibly imagine."

Now maybe Nazi Christians thought that only fellow Aryans/Germans were their neighbours. Maybe Nazi Christians discounted the 'love your neighbour' bit in the manner practically all Christians (including I suspect you) discount everything Jesus said about Camels passing through the eyes of needles and how you should sell all you own and give the proceeds to the poor. I don't know exactly but the fact is that Christianity is clearly flexible enough to countenance all manner of thoughts and deeds you don't like to be associated with and being a Nazi was and is one of them.