Council tree felling...

I didn't accuse you of being loyal to a political party.

You must be aware of existing party policies though?

If in this instance you are voting anyone that has a realistic chance of getting in - could this be a representative of the Conservatives? Do you agree with most of their policies? Or Liberal Democrat - do you agree with theirs?

Well, it's not going to be Conservative is it? I would have a dilemma on my hand if they were the main opposition - fortunately they're not. Realistically, it's Greens or Liberal.

As I said before though - it doesn't matter that I may or may not agree with all their policies in this voting instance. It's wanting a change.

Nationally, it's different. Locally, I'm one of the many people who could never vote Labour again.

Guest makapaka
Well, it's not going to be Conservative is it? I would have a dilemma on my hand if they were the main opposition - fortunately they're not. Realistically, it's Greens or Liberal.

As I said before though - it doesn't matter that I may or may not agree with all their policies in this voting instance. It's wanting a change.

Nationally, it's different. Locally, I'm one of the many people who could never vote Labour again.

So you would vote for someone who’s policies you may not agree with to replace labour - do you disagree with labour policies at local level?

Would you vote Lib Dem or greens?

So you would vote for someone who’s policies you may not agree with to replace labour - do you disagree with labour policies at local level?

Must we endlessly go over the same ground?

I've said - yes I would.

Page 26 of todays London Times , the headline reads , Shame of Sheffield's pig headed councilors .

Page 26 of todays London Times , the headline reads , Shame of Sheffield's pig headed councilors .

Is the London Times what we may know as simply The Times?

Good point - the protesters are very unrepresentative of the area yet claim wide spread support - most people don't give a hoot.

Once again the protesters are damned if they do (protest anywhere other than outside their own house) and damned if they don't (because they're nimbies and only care about their own neighbourhoods).

Page 26, eh?

Must been important then :hihi:

---------- Post added 29-03-2018 at 18:33 ----------

I've said - yes I would.

paula4sheff, I’d probably still vote Labour in the next local election (and not just ‘cos I fancy Julie Dore) but I’m prepared to vote tactically for the Greens if you join me in doing so.

Deal ?

Is it Quiz night ?

Guest makapaka

I've said - yes I would.

But how could you vote Lib Dem after they developed the streets ahead pfi - I thought you were dead against a private company profiteering from this work?

---------- Post added 29-03-2018 at 19:58 ----------

Is it Quiz night ?

Yes why not - who will you vote for?

But how could you vote Lib Dem after they developed the streets ahead pfi - I thought you were dead against a private company profiteering from this work?

---------- Post added 29-03-2018 at 19:58 ----------

Yes why not - who will you vote for?

Not sure yet but you can bet your life it wont be the present incumbents

Nether Edge.. white middle class?....

nearly spat my tea out....

surely somebody needs to go have a look... it was far from that last time I was there.. it's a good cosmopolitan multi cultural melting pot of ever I saw one.

and isn't the whole of Sheffield one big leafy suburb? I think THAT is kinda the point.

LOL yes the attempts at stereotyping people have been laughable.

I particularly enjoyed the Chief Constable on Toby Foster show on Radio Sheffield when he was trotting out all the tired phrases in an attempt to defend the way SYP has humiliated itself. He managed "why don't they get a job" and "they are mostly retired people" during the same interview. It shouldn't take a detective's skills to work that one out....

---------- Post added 29-03-2018 at 21:20 ----------

As a regular pushchair pusher up Sheldon Road good riddance I say. I'm all for trees per say but not when they turn pavements into something akin to moon landing.

That's actually an argument for retaining those mature trees on Sheldon Road rather than chopping them down and planting saplings. Here's why.

The humps in the pavement have occurred over the decades since the pavement was last resurfaced. The roots get thicker, this pushes the ground up a little and you get a small crack and it gets wider over time as it weathers. Then the council patch it by putting a layer of tarmac on the top, which raises the level. Then repeat that process a few times over the decades. The council should have resurfaced the pavement sooner, but we know how they neglected resurfacing for many years and patched instead.

The roots are below the level of the pavement. So it's easy enough to scrap off the humped surface, relay it as perfectly flat.

They proved this on Western Road, Crookes, where they did exactly that as a trial run for one tree to examine its roots. Go marvel at how they relaid the pavement so flat!

So when they claim that they must fell because of a humped pavement, most times they are just making that up in order to try and get to their target of felling half of the street trees in the city.

And what if they were to fell a tree and plant a sapling? It will grow at a faster rate than a mature tree. Its roots will expand more quickly than the roots of mature trees and therefore it will cause more pavement upheave than leaving the old tree would have done.

Edited by Flexo