Talk Talk hacked

Got an e-mail saying my data was compromised. The big issue is that my personal details, including bank-account number are now in a dark web database somewhere, not a pleasant idea, but without knowing which data were compromised it is difficult to assess. At work now but will try and get on to TT to find out exactly which details they suspect have been compromised.

Have you considered switching to a new bank account?

I think this will be a huge wake up call for many big company's and they will start giving security a much higher priority and spending more money on it.

Someone (on this forum, check my post history) told me that 32 bit encryption etc was impossible to crack, and the "dark net" was impregnable...

Well we all know how that story panned out...

I only have one thing to say .....

Whilst banging about on your keyboard & thinking you are answering me, you are being monitored and recorded by at least 1000 agencies (and they are just the ones who you "think" are friendly)

And probably many more who are after information about you, to be stored & used against you at a later date.

Remember..

You only get to hear about data breaches when those who have failed you HAVE to tell you.

Have you considered switching to a new bank account?

Fortunately we have a set-up whereby a joint-account gets filled with just enough cash each month to pay bills. So even if that account is compromised they won't get a lot out of it. I will also keep track of things using the TalkTalk offer of free credit-rating through some firm which name I forgot.

I wouldn't worry about TT being hacked.... WHEN (not if) the government networks are breached...

1) The hackers will know EVERYTHING about you.

2) The government won't tell you about it.

Worried yet?

I bloody am!!

I'm fuming only just joined talk talk October 16 th for broadband and landline, I switched over, I shouldn't of bothered not happy.

Quote #23: Why would you end your contract you nutter? Every service provider is equally at risk. Out of the frying pan.....

@bensonhedges - is there any reason why you have to be so rude? You should apologise. The member is clearly worried about this as you would be if it had happened to you. As for other providers being equally at risk, you don't know that because you presumably have no knowledge of their security measures.

Let's face it - no electronic data is safe out in the ether. On the BBC today a security expert has stated that TT is just the tip of the iceberg and that there are 2,000 cyber attacks hitting businesses every day - at least TT has come out with this - which means what other companies have been attacked and not told their customers? I have been in the habit of entering the main website address and then using the forward slash followed by 'mail'. Over the last week when doig this on any platforma and any browser took me to 'memova messaging' which I did not recognise and came off the page immediately. In my search for more information I came across this on the forum of moneysavingsexpert:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5040102

I passed this information on to TT customer service this a.m. - they then told me of the free for one year (£20 normally thereafter) credit rating firm of Noddle - I said no thanks - I believe that such offerings are a legalised form of extortion - basically, those lovely people who would do you over if you did not pay them "protection money" now have legitimate businesses.

Let's face it - no electronic data is safe out in the ether. On the BBC today a security expert has stated that TT is just the tip of the iceberg and that there are 2,000 cyber attacks hitting businesses every day - at least TT has come out with this - which means what other companies have been attacked and not told their customers? I have been in the habit of entering the main website address and then using the forward slash followed by 'mail'. Over the last week when doig this on any platforma and any browser took me to 'memova messaging' which I did not recognise and came off the page immediately. In my search for more information I came across this on the forum of moneysavingsexpert:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5040102

I passed this information on to TT customer service this a.m. - they then told me of the free for one year (£20 normally thereafter) credit rating firm of Noddle - I said no thanks - I believe that such offerings are a legalised form of extortion - basically, those lovely people who would do you over if you did not pay them "protection money" now have legitimate businesses.

I see your point but then the question that follows is why haven't BT or Sky been hacked?

I've just got off the phone from TalkTalk to cancel my contract and (thankfully) they can't offer me a better deal as Sky have informed them I'm leaving. Today was the last day I could do it as TalkTalk increased my price and we are allowed 30 days to leave.

Does anyone know what the legal position is with regards to losses caused by cybercrime?

Does the customer have to take the loss, or the bank, or is it covered by the government's £75,000 insurance?

I know it's usually the customer, but rules change and test cases might have set new precedents?

Iv been trying to change my password it's impossible at the moment but I will as soon as I can and also I'm ringing them ASAP and ending my contract my daughter is with ee she left talk talk to do this and said it's a lot better service etc with this company

Thats a good idea as EE have a much betters service, are much cheaper and the contract is only for 12 months. I'm with EE and my speed has just been upped to 4.06Mbps as opposed to TT which was 2.75Mbps.

BTW also send them an email just to back up what you are wanting as that way you at least have some proof.

---------- Post added 24-10-2015 at 13:46 ----------

Does the customer have to take the loss, or the bank, or is it covered by the government's £75,000 insurance?

Can you give more information on this? as I cant find any details of the Governments £75,000 insurance.

Can you give more information on this? as I cant find any details of the Governments £75,000 insurance.

i suspect anna is consfusing this with the deposit protection scheme which provides some protection if your back goes bust.

talk talk aren't a bank and they haven't gone bust so this doesn't and never will apply.

this is probably the thing to read

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/identity-theft-and-scams-what-you-are-liable-for

however, the bank can refuse to refund your money if you have been grossly negligent, and using talk talk is probably qualifies for that :)

The FSCS deposit protection limit currently covers any losses retail customers and small businesses suffer as a result of their bank, building society, or credit union failing, up to a maximum of £85,000, per depositor, per authorised firm. <---Does not mention Internet service providers, so the probable outcome is that banks will close ranks and say it is not their responsibility or fault.