[RELEASED] Windows 10 - NEW THREAD

You can run setup from the ISO on a live system to perform the upgrade.

You can even copy the ISO contents to another partition and run it from there, its how I upgraded from 7.

---------- Post added 14-08-2015 at 17:24 ----------

I take risks buying RAM one stick at a time, or using completely different sticks in dual-channel, or getting them from CEX :hihi: but NEVER buying from Hong Kong.

I did risk getting a Chinese brand mSATA SSD for my router, but only because its pretty hard to get hold of small mSATA SSDs at all and being a router it wouldn't get heavy use beyond booting and a few logs.

Well, the risk was well worth it, 12$ for 8Gb DDR2 240 pins 1066 mhz including postage ;) Works like a charm and turns out to be Samsung gear (or a VERY good copy).

Unfortunately though it wouldn't accept my product key, so I am now running an unactivated Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Anybody got any 'tips' on that, please PM me!

Have to say that the performance is quite a bit smoother now, but the whole box is still limited by my ancient GPU/CPU so I will have to do a full upgrade not too far in the future.

Unfortunately though it wouldn't accept my product key, so I am now running an unactivated Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Anybody got any 'tips' on that, please PM me!

Sorry, did you upgrade over an existing Windows 7 or 8.1 installation, or was this a clean install?

I tried a clean install, and it would not accept my Windows 7 / 8 key therefore would not activate. I had to run the Windows 10 installer from within an existing Windows 7 or 8 OS for activation to complete successfully.

And make sure you're using the correct upgrade media too, depending on whether you're currently running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows, Home or Professional edition

Its not supposed to accept 7/8 keys for clean installs, as it has to use the currently running 7/8 with the activation server to create an upgrade license.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-quietly-rewrites-its-activation-rules-for-windows-10/

---------- Post added 15-08-2015 at 21:25 ----------

Well, the risk was well worth it, 12$ for 8Gb DDR2 240 pins 1066 mhz including postage ;) Works like a charm and turns out to be Samsung gear (or a VERY good copy).

Have to say that the performance is quite a bit smoother now, but the whole box is still limited by my ancient GPU/CPU so I will have to do a full upgrade not too far in the future.

At that price I can certainly agree.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Sorry, did you upgrade over an existing Windows 7 or 8.1 installation, or was this a clean install?

I tried a clean install, and it would not accept my Windows 7 / 8 key therefore would not activate. I had to run the Windows 10 installer from within an existing Windows 7 or 8 OS for activation to complete successfully.

And make sure you're using the correct upgrade media too, depending on whether you're currently running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows, Home or Professional edition

Yeah that is the issue, to go from 32 to 64 you need to do a clean install and that killed the key. I am sure I will find some way around it!

Yeah that is the issue, to go from 32 to 64 you need to do a clean install and that killed the key. I am sure I will find some way around it!

You need to put the 64 Bit version of your original 7/8 whatever it is and upgrade to 10 64 Bit. Your 7/8 key will work on both so wont have to buy another key.

If you have the win7 key then you could download the win7 x64 iso, install and enter your key as it should accept it and then update it.

Then you could then either wait for the windows 10 icon to pop up to tell you that win 10 is available or you could force it to download straight away.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/72714/20150729/cant-wait-for-windows-10-heres-how-to-force-your-system-to-update.htm

Or

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-install-windows-10-now-upgrade-gwx-flashing-update-3575135/

When downloaded be sure to select upgrade now.

Edited by apelike

Its not supposed to accept 7/8 keys for clean installs, as it has to use the currently running 7/8 with the activation server to create an upgrade license.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-quietly-rewrites-its-activation-rules-for-windows-10/

---------- Post added 15-08-2015 at 21:25 ----------

At that price I can certainly agree.

Great find Alex - I am running out of backup storage space so I was thinking about doing a CloneZilla to another drive and trying an update that way!

I have also noticed that I recently had to activate Windows 7 again after installing a new printer (or I've been hacked! :hihi:) And the drive with the insider preview is having "issues" and having EasyBCD on two drives may also be an issue!

Just to add, I thought I would try the NVidia 'autorecognise your GPU' in the drivers section - needed Java installing - installed java tried again then not working - why? Edge does not support Java!:gag:

Oh and now I know what the pricing is for Win10Pro if you don't have a valid key £189.99!!!

Edited by swarfendor43

Third cumulative update to leave my laptop unbootable. On this occasion the laptop gets as far as the login screen and that is it. There is no wireless connection and no num lock and mouse and touch pad are rendered inoperable.

Back to my previous image and I have now deferred all updates until I can establish why I am getting this continual loop of updates breaking the OS

In the meantime I have been looking to breakaway from MS and have been impressed with Linux Mint 17 on an old laptop... :)

Well my 'dalliance' with 10 is over, period. For the past few days, my Windows 7 drive has been wanting to run chkdsk at boot on 'D' (Windows 10 - the failing drive that had 7 on in the first place) - the mbr added a new entry - Windows 10 Pro (recovered). Using both the Official Windows 7 disc to repair and the repair disk separately proved to no avail - which means I can no longer access my Zorin partition that had 9 Ultimate 64-bit on (I write this on a live version of Zorin 9 32-bit - blazingly fast Firefox in Live mode!) The othe weird occurrence booting into Windows 10 drive to see if I could access the Windows 7 drive - it won't - totally unmountable and I have tried rescuing wtih TestDisk - even more annoying is that my upgrades to CyberMedia's Power2Go software is no longer present but I have about 4 .chk files where most stuff used to be - Downloads folder is virtually empty - which I managed to 'view' from Acronis Disk Director. I am currently backing up what I can from my Zorin partition to the external Buffalo drive before reinstalling minus Windows 10. I usually backup downloaded software - I didn't - so my advice is download your software to an external device before installing to your main machine! Just to add bizarrely on the last Windows 10 boot (it has occurred before) I have experienced a black screen during boot and hearing Windows 7 boot tune! :hihi::suspect::gag:

Just to add bizarrely on the last Windows 10 boot (it has occurred before) I have experienced a black screen during boot and hearing Windows 7 boot tune! :hihi::suspect::gag:

Make sure Windows isn't sending video output to the wrong monitor, and that it isn't running at too high a resolution for your monitor to cope with.

Yes, been there, many times. . . :blush:

Make sure Windows isn't sending video output to the wrong monitor, and that it isn't running at too high a resolution for your monitor to cope with

This is one thing is does **** me off with, most of the time it seems to think just because I'm in the UK it wants to set most of my displays* to 50HZ.

*I use tvs and projectors.