How to obtain a council house?

It seems that young couples can no longer hope to get a Council house? Is it as difficult as people say it is and what exactly is the procedure nowadays?

It seems that young couples can no longer hope to get a Council house? Is it as difficult as people say it is and what exactly is the procedure nowadays?

young couples dont hit the criteria of need:roll:

Guest makapaka

There aren't any - the tories sold them all.

It's not just about getting one, it's also the available choice when you are allowed one. I was offered a 1 bedroom flat on the 14th floor of Claywood flats. That's when i realise the only way was to buy.

How old is 'young' anyway?

You should now be in Education or training up till the age of 18, parents also have responsibility for you till then.

I don't think many want to leave home until 20ish anyway.

Young people should aspire to getting a decent job and buying their own house plus there are plenty of private and housing association properties available.

There aren't any - the tories sold them all.

Or you could say the tenants (all Tories?) bought them. It's now their children and grandchildren who wonder why they can't have the same deal.

There are immediately available council properties, in different parts of the city. No waiting time needed. The Lettings band is 'First come first served'. https://www.sheffieldpropertyshop.org.uk/PropertySearch/Results/1?Sender=ResultsPage&AttemptedLocationName=S62PH&PreviousAttemptedLocationName=S62PH&AttemptedLocationLongitude=0&AttemptedLocationLatitude=0&SearchRadius=10&Location.Latitude=53.4006057149&Location.Longitude=-1.5021966193&Location.Name=S62PH&SortOrder=2&PreviousSortOrder=2&PropertyID=&AllocationScheme=556&AdvertTypes=1&AccommodationTypes=2,3&AdvertisedDates=&_=1507238372875

Edited by Ms Macbeth

If you work, don't claim benefits and don't have 10 kids you haven't got a chance!

They are better off going the private rent route

If you work, don't claim benefits and don't have 10 kids you haven't got a chance!

I got one, 3 1/2 years ago. Single dad with one daughter, I was on the list 4/5 years.

Got housing association house 2.5 years ago, couple, 2 kids, both working. Think they wanted working families.

Didn't get a sniff of council property though

I registered with the council when I was 16 but never bid for a property until 4 years ago - I was private renting until then. The price of the rent increased to way more than I could afford so having 10 years waiting time, I started to bid on houses.

I bid on my current house in May 2013 - I was 17th in the queue.

Carried on unsuccessfully bidding until November, coming 5th, 6th, 10th in the queue, but then was suddenly offered the house I bid on back in May.

All the 16 people in front of me in the queue had refused the house! No idea why, yes it needed decorating, but nothing I wasn't expecting.

They are better off going the private rent route

You forgot to add "foreigner" to the list, a load of new houses have been build on the council estate near me, half of them cannot speak English.

good luck to you