Memories of Fox Hill

I lived in the maisonettes on Fox Hill Avenue, what i remember most is playing out on the 'back edge' we played for hours and hours rolly pollying down the banks, wandering about the fields, picking blackberries. You could see the batchelors foods factory but we never dared go that far. I also rember Burgins food shop and going in the beer off for a pennies worth of sherbert. I believe the maisonetees no longer exist. They were very unusual in layout situated over 4 floors. Did anyone else live in these maisonettes? It would be great to read other peoples memories of living on Foxhill, good or bad. :)

I lived in the maisonettes on Fox Hill Avenue, what i remember most is playing out on the 'back edge' we played for hours and hours rolly pollying down the banks, wandering about the fields, picking blackberries. You could see the batchelors foods factory but we never dared go that far. I also rember Burgins food shop and going in the beer off for a pennies worth of sherbert. I believe the maisonetees no longer exist. They were very unusual in layout situated over 4 floors. Did anyone else live in these maisonettes? It would be great to read other peoples memories of living on Foxhill, good or bad. :)

Loui 212, did you get my private message?

I used to live on fox hill avenue, had some good time there .Where abouts did you live,? I lived near the farm .

hi, I lived at 40 Fox Hill Ave, the third block down, I remember the farm and going there for a bottle of milk when the shops were shut. Did you live in the maisonettes? I left fox hill in 1971, i went to fox hill junior school on keats rd, Mr parkin was the head teacher, how strict was he!, did you go to this school? Would love to hear any stories you have.

thanks for your reply, did you also live in the maisonettes, if so what block?looking back times were good, families were very friendly, and everyone knew each other,I left in 1971 but still visited old friends until the late seventies, it all seemed to be getting a bit rough by then, glad i was there when it was a nice place to live, thanks for you reply.

Hi there, i used to live in the flats,169 Fox Hill Ave I left there in 1986.Also went to foxhill school had some good times there as well.Nice to know someone who lived there.I now live at Wadsley Bridge which is not far went up there a few months ago all flat now what a shame .Thanks for youre reply . What is your name and how old are you i might know you ?It will be good to talk about the good old days .

Hi there, i used to live in the flats,169 Fox Hill Ave I left there in 1986.Also went to foxhill school had some good times there as well.Nice to know someone who lived there.I now live at Wadsley Bridge which is not far went up there a few months ago all flat now what a shame .Thanks for youre reply . What is your name and how old are you i might know you ?It will be good to talk about the good old days .

Hi Wardy, same question to you. I'm Mark Simmonite, lived on Foxhill Road, opposite the old cottages, I'm 53, went to Foxhill Junior and then to Chaucer Comp.

Hi Wardy, My name was Sharon Gaffney before I got married, I am 46 and I went to Fox Hill juniors till 1971 when the family moved to Chapeltown. My sister Bev was in the year above me at school she is now 48. The teachers I remember are Mr youle, Mrs Parkin [had very fat legs], Mrs Moorecroft, Mrs Pashley, Mr mawson. Do you remember going to the new school in 1970, a bit different to the old prefabs we were taught in.The zig zag path, classes seperated by the blackboards, quiet rooms.Some of the families who I remember from the maisonettes are the Womacks, very big family, had seven kids, the Cusworths, Macdonalds. What memories do you have of Fox hill school? Some names I remember from my class, Ian Worth, Elaine Bottom,Chris Done, Pamela Bennet, Elaine Holmes, kevin Hutchinson,Michelle Bownes, Debra Bowley, Peter Angus to name but a few. Thanks for your reply, Sharon

Hi Wardy, same question to you. I'm Mark Simmonite, lived on Foxhill Road, opposite the old cottages, I'm 53, went to Foxhill Junior and then to Chaucer Comp.

Hi Kensimmo, i am Carol Gray am 47, did you live at te top of foxhill road ?. i think you would have left fox hill school when i started.

Hi Sharon, i am Carol Gray am 47 ,i remember your name but cant put a face to you ,but i remember your sister i think she was in my class at Foxhill school.In my class was Karen Lees,Debra pickering,Josephine Gibson .Did you go to Yewlands school ?.

hiya carol,

Do you have sister called Angela, if so she was in my class, I also know the names debbie pickering and josephine gibson, proberbly because of my sister. We left in 1971 and went to ecclesfield comp, but still have fond memories of fox hill and our childhood spent there.

Hi Kensimmo, i am Carol Gray am 47, did you live at te top of foxhill road ?. i think you would have left fox hill school when i started.

You would be right Carol; but I recall most of the teachers mentioned in this thread. Does anybody recall Mr Hawksworth; he was a real soft touch.