Cycle Lane past station

Has anyone else noticed the total disregard that pedestrians have for the cycle lane opposite Sheffield station. I spent some time working near there recently and was shocked at the way pedestrians blocked the lane. Apart from one idiot all cyclists approached the area around the crossing with exaggerated caution. Without this pedestrians would have been flying all over the place! On two occasions I even saw cyclists abused by the pedestrians for using the cycle lane. Seems like an accident waiting to happen.

If you mean Paternoster Row then couldn't agree more. I cycle that way each weekday evening and pedestrians stroll out gawping at their phones or looking the wrong way most days. It's also a bus and taxi lane.

Completely useless design that means both pedestrians and cyclists who want to cross to the station (opposite the tap) have to stand in the bike lane blocking the route for anyone passing through. In an attempt to make everything look "nice" the only indication that its a cycle lane is a slightly different coloured brick and a few tiny signs. Further round on Shoreham St there is a section by the workstation which constantly has cars or vans parked on it. At least that will be dealt with by the new TRO to crack down on pavement parking in the city centre

The irony of cyclists moaning about people disregarding the rules......

I'm complaining as a pedestrian and a car driver ... it's not mutually exclusive with cycling.

Pedestrians always have the right of way, phones or not.

Pedestrians always have the right of way, phones or not.

What makes you so sure about that?

---------- Post added 25-06-2018 at 19:51 ----------

Has anyone else noticed the total disregard that pedestrians have for the cycle lane opposite Sheffield station. I spent some time working near there recently and was shocked at the way pedestrians blocked the lane. Apart from one idiot all cyclists approached the area around the crossing with exaggerated caution. Without this pedestrians would have been flying all over the place! On two occasions I even saw cyclists abused by the pedestrians for using the cycle lane. Seems like an accident waiting to happen.

I've found that most pedestrians don't acknowledge cycle paths across the whole of the city centre. In a morning you often see cyclists having to ride on the footpath because there are so many pedestrians on the cycle path.

I routinely come across pedestrians in cycle lanes, most of them seem oblivious to the danger they are creating.

---------- Post added 25-06-2018 at 22:06 ----------

The irony of a motorist commenting on the irony of a cyclist moaning about people disregarding the rules.

Oh god, it's some kind of vicious cycle of irony, we're all doomed.

I routinely come across pedestrians in cycle lanes, most of them seem oblivious to the danger they are creating.

---------- Post added 25-06-2018 at 22:06 ----------

The irony of a motorist commenting on the irony of a cyclist moaning about people disregarding the rules.

Oh god, it's some kind of vicious cycle of irony, we're all doomed.

There's more iron in cars than in bikes though

How are they creating danger?

Pedestrians are made of soft stuff and are generally slow moving.

I can’t imagine how a pedestrian can constitute a danger. I guess they could be endangered by careless cyclists, but that is a different matter.

Edited by Rhyno

So slow down and pass them wide. Leaving a gap of about 1.5m. Like you expect other roads users to do for you......

I'm probably guilty of walking in a cycle lane simply because I'm sometimes unaware that a slightly different colour of pavement indicates it's for cyclists, when there are so many other patches, trenches and colours of pavement, and no obvious signage indicating cycle lane.