Wadsley village

circa 1960's, I lived there until 68/69 when we had to leave the village, move onto the wisewood estate.

We lived in the cottages at the top of stour lane, adjoining the top house pub (rose n crown). We had to move out because the brewery wanted to extend the pub through the neighbouring 3 cottages.

My grandad Bill Fox lived next door to pub, then the cartwrights then we lived in the far end cottage.

The Trickett family had the pub in the 60's then later on Ted Catlin took it over.

Other things I can remember...

Nellie Betneys shop

Conroys shop

co-op next to hairdressers

Doctor Lamb

Jews pitch(football) on the common

Anyone got anymore memories?

Hi Slip - I well remember Wadsley in the 1950s/60s; going up Stour Lane on to the Common and, on hot summer days, perhaps returning via Luke Lane to buy a bottle of Tizer from Nellie Bettney's shop. My mother was born in Wadsley as was her father John Whittles (born in 1898, he was one of many Wadsley worthies who over the years have been known by the sobriquet "Wadsley Jack", following the pattern set by Reuben Hallam). I remember my mother telling me that she had a part-time job at the Co-Op shop in the 1940s. As late as the 1950s the shop sold loose sugar, butter, flour etc.

You may recognise some familiar names on these scans from the 1965 Kelly's Directory for Stour Lane, and the Rural lane shops etc.

Mrs hillsbro and I still have a "holiday home" in Wadsley. :)

Hi Slip - I well remember Wadsley in the 1950s/60s; going up Stour Lane on to the Common and, on hot summer days, perhaps returning via Luke Lane to buy a bottle of Tizer from Nellie Bettney's shop. My mother was born in Wadsley as was her father John Whittles (born in 1898, he was one of many Wadsley worthies who over the years have been known by the sobriquet "Wadsley Jack", following the pattern set by Reuben Hallam). I remember my mother telling me that she had a part-time job at the Co-Op shop in the 1940s. As late as the 1950s the shop sold loose sugar, butter, flour etc.

You may recognise some familiar names on these scans from the 1965 Kelly's Directory for Stour Lane, and the Rural lane shops etc.

Mrs hillsbro and I still have a "holiday home" in Wadsley. :)

A few names i know on that list...

stour lane 9, 11,13 , 15 my dad, 17, 19 my grandad 21, 63 & 65

I can remember also fred hursts barbershop when it was next to the star pub, b4 he moved onto the shops (on at t'pond)....im presuming there was once a pond near wisewood school and gowers etc.

was 9 Vic Harrison the cobblers shop who always had a whippet dog,

Thanks for the memories

Hi slip I knew your grandad from going in the top house at dinner times when Ted had it and was running it on a shoe string, he would ask me to call at the brewery to get a barrel to see him through till next delivery,I had to pay by cash, as for your Grandad was he a brewer

Edited by cuttingedge

Hi slip I knew your grandad from going in the top house at dinner times when Ted had it and was running it on a shoe string, he would ask me to call at the brewery to get a barrel to see him through till next delivery,I had to pay by cash, as for your Grandad was he a brewer

Yes he worked at a brewery under the arches near the canal basin, was there an old railway station 'victoria' above the arches at one time. Not sure what his job title was tho, he seamt to be telling folk what to do when i visited once.

Hi Slip, I think he was in charge at some point of the brewing.

Hi Slip, I think he was in charge at some point of the brewing.

Think he was also in charge of suppin it all....:D

he used to send me round to the pub sunday afternoon after the 2 oclock closing, complete with a jug to be filled with Tetleys (rabbit gravy ) so he could have a sup with his sunday dinner.

Remember his little black terrier Beth, it use to lay under the seating when he went in the pub and not move until he left the pub.

Do you still live local cuttedge

Hi Slip I live in S5, I used to clean the windows around there then go in top house for dinner and spend what we earned.We used to charge half a crown for terraced house on Marcliff Rd (SP) for back and the front, one and six for front only. That's why I'm still poor now.

How did the bridge at Penistone Rd /Halifax Rd get to be Wadsley Bridge?

The bridge near to where Penistone Road North becomes Halifax Road wasn't actually the original Wadsley Bridge, but ever since the Wadsley Bridge railway station opened in 1845, people have tended to regard the adjacent bridge as Wadsley Bridge. In fact the name is much older than this. The first bridge to be known as Wadsley Bridge was on the site of the one that now carries the A61 over the River Don beside the Sheffield Wednesday ground. There has been a bridge over the river here for 400 years or more, originally carrying the track/wagonway that linked the villages of Ecclesfield and Wadsley. People approaching Wadsley from the east referred to the bridge as the Wadsley Bridge, and in time the area around it also became known as Wadsley Bridge. See for example Wikipedia here. This map of 1850 shows the bridge over the Don as Wadsley Bridge, as well as the small hamlet just to the north and the area generally. Note the "stepping stones" just upstream of the bridge. These were known to local people as the leaping or "lepping stones" - hence Leppings Lane.

Edited by hillsbro

The bridge near to where Penistone Road North becomes Halifax Road wasn't actually the original Wadsley Bridge, but ever since the Wadsley Bridge railway station opened in 1845, people have tended to regard the adjacent bridge as Wadsley Bridge. In fact the name is much older than this. The first bridge to be known as Wadsley Bridge was on the site of the one that now carries the A61 over the River Don beside the Sheffield Wednesday ground. There has been a bridge over the river here for 400 years or more, originally carrying the track/wagonway that linked the villages of Ecclesfield and Wadsley. People approaching Wadsley from the east referred to the bridge as the Wadsley Bridge, and in time the area around it also became known as Wadsley Bridge. See for example Wikipedia here. This map of 1850 shows the bridge over the Don as Wadsley Bridge, as well as the small hamlet just to the north and the area generally. Note the "stepping stones" just upstream of the bridge. These were known to local people as the leaping or "lepping stones" - hence Leppings Lane.

Thanks for the info Hillsbro, I guess the bridge over the Don down Owlerton way is a bridge,while the one that carried the train is a via-duct.

The banks of the Don down by the Wedmesday ground were our playground in the late 40's early 50's

My Dad James Talbott was born in Wadsley in 1921 to George and Edith Talbott he has two sisters Edith and Florence and My Nans maiden name was Bradshaw she was also born in Wadsley. My Grandad was a shot firer / miner on Wadsley Common I think in the Ginster mine I believe he was Wadsley born as well. My Dads friends were Bill and Kate Parkin nee Firth and when they married they lived in Luke Lane when my uncle Bill died Aunt Kate still went for her daily drink in the top House. I know my Dad had an Aunt Rosila who has quite a few children and they had lots of off spring so I think I still have relations in the Wadsley area. We used to holiday in Aunt Kate’s house when she was on holiday.

Edited by Maisie Aries
The mine was a gangster mine