Winter weather thread 2017/2018

Met weather warning.

Ice and freezing temps to hit Britain. colder than Moscow.

Grim news folks, wrap up warm and keep safe.

Keep an eye on your elderly neighbours.

Stock up on essentials.

But most of all don't panic

We can survive.

Met weather warning.

Ice and freezing temps to hit Britain. colder than Moscow.

Grim news folks, wrap up warm and keep safe.

Keep an eye on your elderly neighbours.

Stock up on essentials.

But most of all don't panic

We can survive.

Where does all this rubbish come from, Met office for sheffield for the next 7 days doesn't give a temp below 1 degree although there is a warning of icy conditions overnight saturday and sunday. Moscow forcast is for -3 to -4. It's November sounds like typical conditions to me.

Careful on the newly surfaced paths when icy,was really bad this morning and hard to see where ice was.

Where does all this rubbish come from, Met office for sheffield for the next 7 days doesn't give a temp below 1 degree although there is a warning of icy conditions overnight saturday and sunday. Moscow forcast is for -3 to -4. It's November sounds like typical conditions to me.

I think that deep down many of us yearn for at least a little bit of 'proper' winter, so tend to look for signs it's about to happen even when it isn't!

Many also don't appreciate that there is a big difference between 'town and city' overnight lows and those you might find in the countryside (here in Norton Lees the air temperature has barely dropped below zero at any point so far this year.)

Echo what fudbeer is saying. Newly surfaced paths were a nightmare this morning. Careful everyone.

Got myself on the round walk trail instead and ran on there and then over to burbage edge. Crunchy covering of snow up there, and it was still snowing as well.

Lovely and bracing on the east coast today

Wow fancy expecting snow , ice and freezing temperatures anyone would think its winter

Wrong. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2638077 (-1C on Wednesday night).

Yep, and if you check now lowest is 0C, it's forcasting so really it's an educated guess and will change several times a day, but my observation was that you don't need to panic, it's just november and it's cold but it's not sub-arctic.

Echo what fudbeer is saying. Newly surfaced paths were a nightmare this morning. Careful everyone.

Got myself on the round walk trail instead and ran on there and then over to burbage edge. Crunchy covering of snow up there, and it was still snowing as well.

Great run done it many times myself, up limb valley and straight up to the high trig point then burbage, who's views never get old.

A covering of snow up at Herdings. Hopefully it won't settle on the roads.