Any care home available?

Gent, early 90's, severe dementia. Sheffield 2 area.

Can dress self but otherwise incapable of doing anything. Can't be left on his own.

Wife, also in 90's, in hospital since Saturday.

Ordinarily, she's his only carer. No existing care package with "authorities".

GP closed. Recorded message advised ring 111.

111 suggested we contact GP. No other info/advice available from them.

Bank holiday weekend, consequently everything unobtainable.

Social services/respite care helpful, but unable to provide assistance.

Alternative suggestions, please...now urgent as back to work tomorrow.

Has he no family to take him in until something can be arranged? The emergency numbers are here. Adult social care number is 0114 273 4908. They have a duty to provide assistance so it’s surprising that they can’t help. You might have to be firm with them. You could telephone a few homes but they might expect a commitment to payment until there is Social Services approval. A care agency might be able to provide carers in the home.

Carers of vulnerable people should consider registering with Social Services. A carer assessment will be completed in order to have on record details of illness, disability, doctor, medication, who has keys and is to be contacted in an emergency. Social Services will then be able to act if the carer becomes ill or dies. The carer is given a card to carry which has the emergency telephone number.

Edited by Jomie

Has he no family to take him in until something can be arranged? The emergency numbers are here. Adult social care number is 0114 273 4908. They have a duty to provide assistance so it’s surprising that they can’t help. You might have to be firm with them. You could telephone a few homes but they might expect a commitment to payment until there is Social Services approval. A care agency might be able to provide carers in the home.

Carers of vulnerable people should consider registering with Social Services. A carer assessment will be completed in order to have on record details of illness, disability, doctor, medication, who has keys and is to be contacted in an emergency. Social Services will then be able to act if the carer becomes ill or dies. The carer is given a card to carry which has the emergency telephone number.

Yes, have spoken to various personnel on 4908, both teams - 'out of hours' and 'in'.

Extremely helpful, but regretably no room anywhere, no carers available and difficult what with it being holiday. Even the original paramedic tried them on Saturday with same result.

Appreciate/understand your comment about payment. Not all homes willing to 'cope' with dementia patients, hence the question to try and shortcut ringing around.

Not in Sheffield and am not certain but Layden Court in Maltby might be able to help - link.

Speak to the hospital staff who are looking after his wife.

If you state that you believe her husband is at risk being on his own at home they will have to action this.

Good luck.

Speak to the hospital staff who are looking after his wife.

If you state that you believe her husband is at risk being on his own at home they will have to action this.

Good luck.

Tried that, but no joy. Usual advice, 111 or social services... Or GP when next open.

Have you tried Age Concern?

Neighbours?

An agency?

Just for 24 hours until Social Services etc are back on line?

---------- Post added 07-05-2018 at 19:21 ----------

Just phoned a friend who works in this field. He suggests you

Phone Access 0114 2734908

.follow nstructions for out of hours emmergency social worker.

Tell them that buck stops with them and they will be held legally responsible if anything happens to him.

Edited by Anna B

Have you tried Age Concern?

Neighbours?

An agency?

Just for 24 hours until Social Services etc are back on line?

---------- Post added 07-05-2018 at 19:21 ----------

Just phoned a friend who works in this field. He suggests you

Phone Access 0114 2734908

.follow nstructions for out of hours emmergency social worker.

Tell them that buck stops with them and they will be held legally responsible if anything happens to him.

Been on to the Access number a few times, Anna....but if they're "full", they're full.

My wife just preparing for 3rd night on my father-in-law's settee, and missing her own bed! Last night's episode featured the old lad wandering around until 2 a.m. and then up again at 4.30 asking if he should put his gloves on in case the temperature was going to drop....

I'm so sorry RiffRaff. I noticed after I'd posted that it's the same number you'd tried.

This is such a rotton position to be in. It really is disgraceful in this day and age that help is so hard to find. I know it from personal experience. And yet more and more people are going to find out for themselves.

I do hope you're able to sort something out.

Edited by Anna B

I'm so sorry RiffRaff. I noticed after I'd posted that it's the same number you'd tried.

This is such a rotton position to be in. It really is disgraceful in this day and age that help is so hard to find. I know it from personal experience. And yet more and more people are going to find out for themselves.

I do hope you're able to sort something out.

Thanks, Anna.

I hope so too!

This is a really difficult situation and there are no quick or easy solutions.

If your father in law is not physically ill then the NHS is not required to help.

Social Services will assume that as his daughter is looking after him, then he is safe and there is no emergency.

Start with his GP who should help in arranging with area Social Services team to help you find support and explain assessment and funding for appropriate care at home or elsewhere.

Agencies can provide some cover at short notice.

Search carehome.co.uk

There are emergency places provided by referral.

This is a really difficult situation and there are no quick or easy solutions.

If your father in law is not physically ill then the NHS is not required to help.

Social Services will assume that as his daughter is looking after him, then he is safe and there is no emergency.

Start with his GP who should help in arranging with area Social Services team to help you find support and explain assessment and funding for appropriate care at home or elsewhere.

Agencies can provide some cover at short notice.

Search carehome.co.uk

There are emergency places provided by referral.

Seems to be an awful lot of confusion.

Thankfully everyone back open after the bank holiday, but all the GP has suggested - bearing in mind both inlaws are registered at the same surgery and they are therefore well aware of the personal circumstances - is contacting the Adult Care unit, which is who we've been talking to since Saturday!

They're constantly engaged, but have managed to leave a voicemail about an hour ago, reminding them of the situation and requesting a return call. As yet, nothing.

Bearing mind that the lady in question - 91, and with broken hip - is presumably also going to require some respite care when discharged from hospital - in a week's time, maybe? - this situation is already worse than before.