View Full Version : Parkhill Public Houses

old cossack
30-03-2012, 21:16
Hi All. Been up to Parkhill flats today to photo the two closed pubs which are The Link which has still got its sign up showing chain links on both sides nice sign and the Parkway Tavern which a while back I got permission to photo the inside well what was left inside anyway. Does any have any tales about them did you go in what were customers like been told that Parkway was a tough pub and does anyone have any photos of the inside and outside the pubs when in use and would like to hear anything about the other two pubs Scottish Queen and the Earl George and any photos of them. Noticed that the New Inn has been boarded up and sold in that area. Thanks

Jim Hardie
30-03-2012, 22:01
Used to go in the Link prior to the tanner rush in the community centre next door. I think it was Wednesday nights.

alan p
30-03-2012, 22:08
I think you are thinking of the Earl George which was on the Pavement shopping area, The Link was further up.

old cossack
30-03-2012, 22:29
Its a real shame that The Link pub sign not been put in a muesum.There is very few pubs called Link and there signs are of golf links unlike the one at Parkhill which show chain links a link to Sheffields steelworks and rare nodoubt end up in a landfill site makes a great photo.

Jim Hardie
30-03-2012, 23:16
I think you are thinking of the Earl George which was on the Pavement shopping area, The Link was further up.

Yes I think you're right about where it was. You'll have to cut me a bit of slack as I'm going back to 1966. It was definitely the Link I used to go in though.

charliewag
31-03-2012, 11:28
some friends of mine, malcolm and rita smith took over the scottish queen in about 1983. they stayed for a couple of years before moving to another pub at brampton nr. chesterfield.

alan p
01-04-2012, 12:05
Hello old cossack, If you want any info on the Link next time you are in town see the Man selling fishing tackle outside Castle Market,he is called Chris Hardy his dad ran the link in the 60's they used to have the Sun Inn on South St before Parkhill was built, tell Chris that Alan
Bettys cousin told you about him. Good Luck.

playman
01-04-2012, 22:04
there were 3 pubs on the corners of the triangle where the trades & labour club is now, my auntie worked in the oddfellows which was where the traffic lights are opposite the new inn, cannot remember what the other 2 were called.

alan p
02-04-2012, 10:25
I think one was called the Stafford but not totally sure

me-and-pippo
02-04-2012, 10:42
One was the Talbot (http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;%28^|%20+%29u020 74%28$|%20+%29&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0 JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOVRhbGJvdF9Jbm4l MjglMjQlN0MrJTJCJTI5JmFjdGlvbj1zZWFyY2g=), on the corner of Duke Street and Talbot Road.

alan p
02-04-2012, 13:19
Correction the Stafford was off Long Henry Street.

old cossack
02-04-2012, 15:02
Hello Alanp when Im in the Castle Market area I will ask your relative about the Link. I managed to photo the inside of the Link pub though the steel sheeting not to bad the bars are still there and the seating only basic type of pub but recorded never the less. The Parkway Tavern inside looks like a war zone shame spent some happy times in there.

old cossack
04-04-2012, 21:45
I know I have started a thread a few days back about Parkhill pubs. Out of the four in the flats complex the Earl George pub is the least talk about and photoed of the four which were the Link, Parkway Tavern, Scottish Queen and the one Im on about the Earl George does anyone have any information on it like past landlords what was the pub like that sort of thing I have found if ture it seemed to be a music venue at one point. Thanks

jasper57
08-04-2012, 17:28
as far as i can remember the three pubs on the triangle were the oddfellows,the talbot and i think the other one was the crown(known as the top drum because it was the top of the triangle)

me-and-pippo
08-04-2012, 18:13
there were 3 pubs on the corners of the triangle where the trades & labour club is now, my auntie worked in the oddfellows which was where the traffic lights are opposite the new inn, cannot remember what the other 2 were called.

as far as i can remember the three pubs on the triangle were the oddfellows,the talbot and i think the other one was the crown(known as the top drum because it was the top of the triangle)
To the best of my knowledge there were only two PH in the triangle,
Talbot Inn, 19/21 Talbot Road.
Oddfellow's Inn, 200 Duke Street.
There was a Beer Off on the corner of Stafford Street (http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;%28^|%20+%29s198 63%28$|%20+%29&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0 JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOVRhbGJvdF9TdHJl ZXQlMjglMjQlN0MrJTJCJTI5JmFjdGlvbj1zZWFyY2gmcGFnZT 0x).

willybite
08-04-2012, 20:04
To the best of my knowledge there were only two PH in the triangle,
Talbot Inn, 19/21 Talbot Road.
Oddfellow's Inn, 200 Duke Street.
There was a Beer Off on the corner of Stafford Street (http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;%28^|%20+%29s198 63%28$|%20+%29&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0 JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOVRhbGJvdF9TdHJl ZXQlMjglMjQlN0MrJTJCJTI5JmFjdGlvbj1zZWFyY2gmcGFnZT 0x).

hiya along with the said pubs on parkhill were one on talbot st just past the norfolk pictures it was called the black horse, my wifes g/grandfather's pub many years ago, his grandson ,my father in law oncetold me that at the back of the pub were areas of chicken runs,but his grand father bred fighting cocks, and one day one got loose and set about slaughtering the other chickens, course that was a long time ago.

me-and-pippo
08-04-2012, 20:28
hiya along with the said pubs on parkhill were one on talbot st just past the norfolk pictures it was called the black horse, my wifes g/grandfather's pub many years ago, his grandson ,my father in law oncetold me that at the back of the pub were areas of chicken runs,but his grand father bred fighting cocks, and one day one got loose and set about slaughtering the other chickens, course that was a long time ago.
Yes willybite, Black Horse, 75 Talbot Street.

joiner andy
08-04-2012, 20:38
i once did a job outside the scottish queen and had a lump of concrete thrown at me! it landed about 2m away. that made me jump!

brian1941
10-04-2012, 18:54
In the 1960/70 i use to go in the Link pub, i liked the Scottish Queen pub aswell.

Do you think they'll open all the pubs again when all the work is finished.

GUZZIOWL
10-04-2012, 18:59
When i lived on Bernard Buildings in the late 70's , i spent many hours in the Earl George and Scottish Queen .. :)

graz gp
11-04-2012, 13:32
Joe Fox used to be the landlord in the George in the 70's. didn't stand for any messing about.

graz gp
11-04-2012, 14:31
Earl George, and Scottish Queen, not there anymore. Just open spaces. So will never open as pub's.

Ms Macbeth
11-04-2012, 19:17
Threads merged. Please stick to one thread on this topic, thanks.

willybite
11-04-2012, 19:56
Joe Fox used to be the landlord in the George in the 70's. didn't stand for any messing about.

hiya, was this the same ? fox who kept the bridge inn at heely.

me-and-pippo
11-04-2012, 19:58
I remember Joe in the Earl George, I also remember him being in the Red Lion on Duke Street, I do not think he was there for long, could have been doing a stand in or relieving at the time.
Don't remember what year/s it was ?

me-and-pippo
11-04-2012, 20:00
hiya, was this the same ? fox who kept the bridge inn at heely.
The Shakespeare at Heeley, Joe passed it on to his son Dave.

willybite
15-04-2012, 21:28
The Shakespeare at Heeley, Joe passed it on to his son Dave.

hiya, this is another fox as the one in the bridge only had one son name of barry, thanks anyway.

Angryandy
24-04-2012, 21:10
The Parkway was featured on Britains hardest pubs on ITV 3 a few years back, it may be on youtube.

I used them all in the 80's and 90's. Parkway was rough but always felt safe there.

brian1941
27-04-2012, 21:34
The Parkway was featured on Britains hardest pubs on ITV 3 a few years back, it may be on youtube.

I used them all in the 80's and 90's. Parkway was rough but always felt safe there.
---------------
Hi there, i noticed there isnt many buying the flats, i've only seen
at least 5 flats with lights on at nights. :suspect:

flightliner
01-05-2012, 16:49
I think it was back in the mid eighties that a lady commited suicide by jumping from one of the higher levels of the flats onto the roof of the link.
Very sad.

tazdev
17-01-2013, 20:53
remember the 4 pubs on parkhill well, used them frequently with my dad kenny clewes, colin and joan had link for a while, i worked with their son chris, who now sells fishing tackle outside market, married to cousin betty,

theimposter
04-02-2016, 14:42
FAO Old Cossack!

Hi,

I am researching a book on Sheffield pubs and I noted that you commented on the above pub on a thread on the forum. Do you have any photos/ memories of this pub that you could share with me? If I use any of your original photos I will provide a picture credit in the book.

Please pm me or contact me at sheffieldpubs@outlook.com

Thanks in advance

Jamie

crookedspire
04-02-2016, 17:39
FAO Old Cossack!

Hi,

I am researching a book on Sheffield pubs and I noted that you commented on the above pub on a thread on the forum. Do you have any photos/ memories of this pub that you could share with me? If I use any of your original photos I will provide a picture credit in the book.

Please pm me or contact me at sheffieldpubs@outlook.com

Thanks in advance

Jamie
I thought you were researching Pitsmoor pubs? Back on topic I used to go in the Parkway Tavern when Micheal and Mary Beckett had it does anyone know we're they went after leaving the Parkway?

theimposter
04-02-2016, 22:01
Doing the whole city one pub at a time crooked spire. Started with Pitsmoor but have now on to Attercliffe. I am on Radio Sheffield from 11am tomorrow talking about it- tune in!

painterman
05-02-2016, 17:17
I thought you were researching Pitsmoor pubs? Back on topic I used to go in the Parkway Tavern when Micheal and Mary Beckett had it does anyone know we're they went after leaving the Parkway?

Hi they left the pub trade unfortunately Mick died last year but Mary is still going strong

---------- Post added 05-02-2016 at 16:31 ----------

Hi they left the pub trade unfortunately Mick died last year but Mary is still going strong

just found out it was December 2014