View Full Version : Anyone here from Attercliffe?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

DAVCAZZ
24-09-2006, 17:19
:) yo davcazz,we're neighbours lol.
where about are you willo

willo
24-09-2006, 17:34
:) scarboro

willo
24-09-2006, 17:46
:) yo shaz,the caretaker at woodbourne rd school was called barker,he had a daughter called anne,any relation.the reason i remember this is cos after we moved 2 brinsworth i was invited 2 tea with this lovely family & set of on my bike,i had my new shoes on [new shoes a rarity in them days-lol] & was cycling past tinsley wire lookin down at & admiring said new shoes,when i ran into a parked car & went ar*e over t*t,thus arriving at the barkers lookin like i'd just upset cassius clay,where upon their cat attacked me takin a nice slice outta my hand-lol.happy days.

DAVCAZZ
24-09-2006, 18:40
Here's how much I'm in my prime. I was 9 years old when we went to see Broadway Melodies of 1939 at the Pavilion on the night of December 12th 1940. The air raid siren went and like normal we all ignored it cos we'd had lots of false alarms.All of a sudden the guns opened up and bombs began falling on the city. We were directed to an underground shelter and stayed there all night while an Irish cop gave us a running commentary from the surface. Attercliffe was fairly lucky that night though some people were kiled in Brightside. hi Buck my dad was born on bowing st of rippon road down the cliff and mam came of bradford st dad brother played football for liverpool pre war and then just after the war he moved to sunderland his name was bernard ramsden dads was Albert i knwo that when Mam & da wre courting they went to the Pavilion aswell

DAVCAZZ
24-09-2006, 18:42
Here's how much I'm in my prime. I was 9 years old when we went to see Broadway Melodies of 1939 at the Pavilion on the night of December 12th 1940. The air raid siren went and like normal we all ignored it cos we'd had lots of false alarms.All of a sudden the guns opened up and bombs began falling on the city. We were directed to an underground shelter and stayed there all night while an Irish cop gave us a running commentary from the surface. Attercliffe was fairly lucky that night though some people were kiled in Brightside. hi Buck my dad was born on bowing st of rippon road down the cliff and mam came of bradford st dad brother played football for liverpool pre war and then just after the war he moved to sunderland his name was bernard ramsden dads was Albert i know that when Mam & dad were courting they went to the Pavilion aswell

DAVCAZZ
24-09-2006, 18:49
H There,
Just interested in this . My relations lived in Steadfast St. at that time by the name of Pope. My /aunt was a Usherette at the Adephi for many years
Regards Vera
my prarents was born on the cliffe Dad on Bowing St just of Rippon st and Mam on Bradford St near carbrook ,Steadfast St was,nt far from there i can remember Mam talking about Steadfast St but the name Pope doesnt come to mind ,If mom was alive or dad they would have love to have heard all these things that are being wrote about on here .I great to hear that the Cliffe still lives on

gosling
25-09-2006, 07:13
My great grand parents were licensees of the Station many , many moons ago. infact it could be at least a 100 years ago. We lived in Bodmin Street in the 1930s to 1950s and I can remember as a kid being sent to the Station around dinner time on a Sunday with a bottle to get draught beer for dad. They used to put a paper seal over the stopper so that we couldn't take a swig of the beer. Can also remember the Smiths potato crisps we used to buy there with the little blue paper twist of salt, it was a far better idea than the salted crisps we get today.
My mother's parents lived in Steadfast street in the 1930s. their name was Reith, grandma was blind and so when the war started they came to live with us.

willo
25-09-2006, 07:43
:) yo gosling,i 2 remember gettin jugs o ale from the offie[wi me ma],i remember the crisps 2 u had a great choice of flavours:- plain or nothing-lol, then they brought cheese & onion out,first taste;-urrrrrrrrgh-yuk-etc.funny innit they'r my fave now.me & our kid used 2 do odd jobs[badly mostly]& get paid with empty pop bottles which u could return 2 the shop & get money back on,early recycling eh,my how things change.

willo
25-09-2006, 10:06
:) jus revisitin the tramp story,as i said we moved 2 brinny in 63 & there used be a tramp there [sounds awful dunnit-much prefer gentleman of the road but im'e such a lazy typer-lol]oviously as children we were warned 2 stay away from such types which made them all the more interesting.any way in latish 60s me & my m8 curley were walkin thru the village with this chap marching behind us,curley 4 a laugh said watch this & dropped a ha'penny,a minute later there was a loud shout,we turned & this guy started runnin after us,this must have been a wonderful sight 2 any locals watching seeing the local skinheads complete with boots'n braces leggin it up bonnet lane with sheer fright etched on their faces,any how he caught us,held his hand out & said excuse me sir u dropped this,well as if! after that we befriended him & he used 2 tell stories about his ww2 experiences el alamine & such,we even visited him at his home which was an old air raid shelter down the 8foot lane where the british oxygen works is.when we asked his name he used 2 salute give his service number & say douglas talbot-sir,military style.wonder what happened 2 him.p.s. never did get round 2 askin if he ever lodged in our outside loo on woodbourne rd.

whiteley
25-09-2006, 10:22
I was born in Darnall and lived on cottingham st after getting married 1971 to a lad that was born on Cottingham st Gordon Davison we spilt in 1997
but we had some good years on the cliffe .
Hi Davcazz, I was born on Cottingham Street and my eldest brother used to go to school with Gordon Davison, his name is Dennis Whiteley.

willo
25-09-2006, 12:17
:( yobirty,aint found ought yet,but while lookin at stuff bout treeton pit found out that treeton was the first vllage in the country 2 b lit by electricity[kindly supplied by the pit]wow never new i'd worked in such a posh area-lol.

willo
25-09-2006, 17:01
:) yo,brooksy,do u still get dow'nt cliffe & is the dog & partridge still there,think thats the 1 across the road from banners,by that used 2 be a rough spot in the early 70s!,think mebbe chubby brown got his joke from there,the 1 where the bouncer says-got any weapons m8? no? what do u want? knife? gun?axe? & even the piano had a bandage on its leg--lol.what was the pub bout half up staniforth rd called,bronco lane the footballer had it in late 70s,that was a nice place,used 2 av a disco on 2.cheers willo.

Plain Talker
25-09-2006, 17:31
the only pub I can think of at the attercliffe end of staniforth rd would be the Staniforth Arms, which is now a buffet restaurant. (hope that's helpful?)

there are two or three pubs at the top end, (greenland Road end) whose names I cannot recall.

bluebird62
25-09-2006, 18:01
the only pub I can think of at the attercliffe end of staniforth rd would be the Staniforth Arms, which is now a buffet restaurant. (hope that's helpful?)

there are two or three pubs at the top end, (greenland Road end) whose names I cannot recall.

Hello P T,

The 3 pubs at the end of staniforth road at Attercliffe side was the Robin Hood, the Carlton , Dog and Partridge.
At the top end of Greenland Road was the the Halfway, Rose and Crown,
Wellington,

willo
25-09-2006, 18:07
:) yep think thats the 1,if u went up staniforth rd from main sheff-roth rd,u'd go over the river bridge-[across i mean lol] past the darnall green club somewhere on yer left up past some old houses & shops & i think there was a railway bridge & the pub was there on left,with a huge car park.if i'm rite i'l be amazed coz ev 1 reckons ole willo gets lost goin 2 the loo.

willo
25-09-2006, 18:11
:) yo,bluebird, do u remember the pop factory up darnall,my mum used 2 work there & when she showed me & our kid round we stood in drooling gobsmaked amazement watchin all the bottles o pop whizzin round -lol.

willo
25-09-2006, 18:16
:) also do u remember the lane that used 2 go from cliffe 2 high hazels park,think it was called piggy lane,all like mini abbottoires o.n it.

Plain Talker
25-09-2006, 18:43
Hello P T,

The 3 pubs at the end of staniforth road at Attercliffe side was the Robin Hood, the Carlton , Dog and Partridge.
At the top end of Greenland Road was the the Halfway, Rose and Crown,
Wellington,

thanks for the names of the pubs at the top end, by greenland road.

didn't think the Robin Hood was on Staniforth Road, I always thought its postal address was on Attercliffe Common...?

the carlton was the one on the opposite side of attercliffe common to the robin hood, wasn't it? a white-painted building, with black railings if i remember?

the D&P was also on attercliffe common, too...

As I say, I can only think of one pub on Staniforth Road at the attercliffe common end, and that is the one that's now the restaurant./ buffet place.

DAVCAZZ
28-09-2006, 11:21
Hi I can remember Denis aswell hope that he is ok and give him my best

tonyfiaz
03-10-2006, 12:17
does anyone remember the name of a pub which was just across the road from attercliffe baths. it was where the donvalley stadium is and was right on the corner cheers.
it was the golden ball right on the cornaer mate
:thumbsup:

pressy
03-10-2006, 13:07
:) yo,brooksy,do u still get dow'nt cliffe & is the dog & partridge still there,think thats the 1 across the road from banners,by that used 2 be a rough spot in the early 70s!,think mebbe chubby brown got his joke from there,the 1 where the bouncer says-got any weapons m8? no? what do u want? knife? gun?axe? & even the piano had a bandage on its leg--lol.what was the pub bout half up staniforth rd called,bronco lane the footballer had it in late 70s,that was a nice place,used 2 av a disco on 2.cheers willo.

Didnt he have the Cocked Hat, across from the Brittania ?????

Eleke95
03-10-2006, 13:13
Didnt he have the Cocked Hat, across from the Brittania ?????
Bronco Lane had the Staniforth Arms. I went to school with his daughter Lisa

datal
03-10-2006, 23:57
Not read many of the Attercliffe threads & I used to live at Parson Cross, but worked down there as a kid at Brook Shaws garage, who rented the old.... I think it was called the Palace Theatre..... it's a shame but we used to store new cars in the bottom level where the seats used to be, looking onto the stage which was still there.
In the upper part..... was it the balcony? There were still seats which were used as the stores & car parts were laid out all over the old seats.
I used to love exploring the old place on my own at dinner times, I used to climb up into the towers that overlooked Attercliffe Rd..... didn't see the danger at the time but they were crumbling & ready to fall down, the old place was pulled down not long after.
I often used to go into the Herbalist & play the juke box in there, I guy used to sell fruit on a stall in the alley at the side, Alfredo's barbers next door.
I used to fetch my "errands" from Shentons the bakers, used to have our Xmas do's in the Queens Head...... Banners was heaven, I used to love their record dept.
Everywhere was exciting, from Staniforth Rd to Newhall Rd & beyond, pubs, shops, cafes....I used to love the "exchange" shops..... it was magic, a lovely atmosphere, as they say "it aint the same"........ Aaaah memories. :love:

Grantham
06-10-2006, 12:25
Hello - Does anyone know a pub called the Cutlers Arms in Attercliffe? On 19th century census records we have ancestors who ran the pub, is it still there?

Ta!

Plain Talker
06-10-2006, 18:51
Hello - Does anyone know a pub called the Cutlers Arms in Attercliffe? On 19th century census records we have ancestors who ran the pub, is it still there?

Ta!

doesn't the census record give the address for it?

Grantham
06-10-2006, 19:58
Hello PlainTalker,

In the 1891 census it is 62 Worksop Road; not sure the street numbering may have changed since then - cheers

Plain Talker
06-10-2006, 20:48
if it's on worksop road, then that must be the original name for the pub that's now called Farah's.

Grantham
06-10-2006, 22:53
Hi PlainTalker - thank you SO much - we have used your lead and found this website - the street numbering must have changed or something - as it is now 74 Worksop Road!

Can't believe it is still going over 100 years later!

Thanks again for helping us out!

http://www.sheffieldpubs.fsnet.co.uk/Business/pubs/fara.htm

Plain Talker
06-10-2006, 23:22
anytime! happy to be of help.

YAMDAVE
07-10-2006, 11:50
My mothers family coincidentally were called Brookes and were born and bred in Don Place, off Newall Rd. Three brothers, Sid, Dave and John along with a sister Joan. They lived next to a transport companies' yard, and their neighbour had a daughter called Linda Sully. Had some happy times there, those skates at the skating ring were designed to go around in circles I'm sure. Any relation Brooksy ?

brooksy
08-10-2006, 11:02
Hi Yamdave.My name is Brooks without the e so maybe not.My family all came from attercliffe and were made up of the Tuckwoods,Roberts, and Brands.They all lived around the Don And A lford road area before the house demolision.:thumbsup:

Arfer Mo
09-10-2006, 12:08
thats the one pietro thanks for the photo, if you could post any photos of woodbourn rd or chelmsford st would be sound. chelmsford st was just off staniforth rd and the next rd up from woodbourn rd. if you can remember that far back there was a swap shop at the bottom of chelmsford st as it came on to staniforth rd , cheers.Hi Brooksy Did you live on woodbourne rd? I owned the first five houses next to the chapel up to them being demolished, the school yard overlooked them I remember a ball coming over the fence into the back yard when I was doing repairs, and me trying to throw it over but the lad had to come and fetch it , was it you by any chance? Cheers Arthur.PS Ibought these houses from mr Jennings ironmonger on the corner , remember him

brooksy
09-10-2006, 19:08
Hi Brooksy Did you live on woodbourne rd? I owned the first five houses next to the chapel up to them being demolished, the school yard overlooked them I remember a ball coming over the fence into the back yard when I was doing repairs, and me trying to throw it over but the lad had to come and fetch it , was it you by any chance? Cheers Arthur.PS Ibought these houses from mr Jennings ironmonger on the corner , remember him
Hi there, i actually lived on chelmsford st, no 15 to be exact.It was just up from the swap shop on the other side.On our side was the cobblers at the bottom.Iremember jennings and he had a caravan on the same site down at torksey.Had a mate of woodbourn rd,davivd twelvetrees and another one wayne carnie.Happy days eh:thumbsup:

Arfer Mo
13-10-2006, 12:12
Hi Brooksy Happy days indeed when you said that it brought back an occasion on woodbourn , I sold one of the houses 2cnd past the Chapel to an irishman by a private mortgage,but no cash came , when Iwent to see him , [COME IN] there was 3 sat on the settee all spic and span dressed as women[ they were transvestites!]ITwas the first time for me Idid not know what to say,After much pleading Ilet them stay till they moved , It was not heard of much in those days and when Itold the wife she cried with laughing and did not believe me . Cheers Arthur.

Shelagh
13-10-2006, 16:03
I think this is only about my third post on the forum but I've just read lots of the posts, (not all:hihi: ) and recongnised various place names I haven't thought about for years.
I actually grew up on Brightside Lane, just round the corner from Fell Street and parallel with Don Road. Betty Tuckwood's name just came back to me, I went to Newhall Road School, and think she must have been a play mate, I was born in 1949, my name then was Dodd with an older brother Ken and two younger sisters who were too small to remember even living there. We moved to Firth Park in 1960.

Hope you don't mind me asking a few questions.

Anybody out there remember me or more importantly my Dad Cyril Dodd.
I have been doing quite well with Family History and want to find out more about my dads parents who lived at Attercliffe from 1916 onwards.
They were Robert and Nellie Dodd, 404 Attercliffe Road. My Grandad Robert Dodd had a shop and eventually ran the business of Bespoke Tailor. There were seven children in all, Cyril, Elsie, Roy, Dennis, Kathleen, Maisie and Jim.

Anyone out there remember anything??? that might help me.

Arfer Mo
15-10-2006, 23:42
I went to school with Susan Keen - did you know her?. If I remember rightly she used to live on Clifton Street. Her family had a business on Greenland Road

Jackie ClarkeIknew Alf Keen amember of that family who ran the haulage busineson GREENLAND RD

SASHADRAIN
16-10-2006, 23:30
My Grandad was also usher at the Adelphi years ago. His name was George Henry Walsh.Do you know him ?

SASHADRAIN
16-10-2006, 23:37
HI JUST JOINED MY NAME IS STAN WAS BORN IN 1957 AND LIVED ON CARDIFF STREET . ANY BODY OUT THERE WHO LIVED IN THE SAME AREA WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU. MY SURNAME IS WARD .

Hi . I was born on Sleaford Street in 1957. The family name is Walsh. I went to Huntsmans Gardens Infants School until we moved to Parson Cross in 1964.

SASHADRAIN
16-10-2006, 23:49
Does anyone remember the Goodwins or the Carriers?

My Grandma Was Beatrice Goodwyn. She had a Brother called Matthew who was famous in Attercliffe. He was a fisherman and his face was on all the trams and buses in the 60's. She later became known as Walsh and lived in Sleaford Street.

SASHADRAIN
16-10-2006, 23:51
I used to do the same thing with the pitch on the road. I used a lollypop stick too. Ah the good old days !!

SASHADRAIN
17-10-2006, 00:19
Hi,
I'm new to this site and would like to know if anyone here is from Sleaford street opposite Banners. I was born there in 1957.
My family's name is Walsh. My Grandad, George Henry worked at the Palais and picture house as an usher years ago. I went to Huntsmans Gardens with my Brothers Steven and Henry.
My Grandma Walsh's maiden name was Goodwyn. She had a Brother, Matthew, who was a fisherman and was famous for some reason. His face was on all the trams and buses.
My Great Grandma's name was Annie Capel.
My Dad was a regular in the Queens pub in the 50s.

willo
18-10-2006, 09:02
:) yo,arthur fearn, did you know Tommy Bywaters.

frankkettell
01-11-2006, 12:38
Hi There, I find the topic on Attercliffe great. I spent a lot of my early child hood there and then went back in my teans., I lived on Westbury St. and they used to have the anual fair and merrygo rounds there. Used to go to High Hazels Park and attend the Darnall Medical /aid parade. Dancing at the Astoria and yes John Banners was a good shop, and the little pie shop outside Attercliffe Baths. My Grandparents were all born on Alfred Road I think the name was Fulwood and Pope. Great memories these

Regards vera p..s. Anyone remember Huntsmans Garden School

I lived in Colwall St. and went to Huntsman's Gardens from 1942 to 1952. Miss Breach was the Headmistress at the infant school when I started. We had some really great teachers, Mr Bramall, Mr Ward and Mr Lakin come to mind. Some of my classmates were, Ronnie Eaton, Martin Whitehead, Brian Tucket, Teddy Murat, Harry Major, Leslie Kiddy, Keith Milne, Raymond Lawson to name a few. I emigrated to Australia in 1966. It would be good to here of any news about the guys I mentionedfrankandmal@bigpond.com

frankkettell
01-11-2006, 12:52
was talking 2 a man called ron snoud the other day in the attercliff liberal club a reel gent always turned out in immaculate suits and ties. he was telling me that years ago you cudnt walk up and down attercliff and have half a beer in every pub because there were 2 many and u would have been drunk. were there that many pubs, i grew up down there but cant recall there being that many

Starting at the bottom of Staniforth Rd. The Carlton. Dog & Partridge, Horse & Jockey, Victoria, Queens Head, Kings Head, one next to the Weslian Hall I can't remember the name of, The Omnibus. Travellers, Ball Inn plus four or five along Worksop Rd. before the aqueduct. Your friend was dead right you would be well and truly Brahms and List by the time you got as far as the Globe pictures.frankandmal@bigpond.com

frankkettell
01-11-2006, 12:59
That would have been Ripon Street Rec wouldn't it.......spent quite a bit of time there myself actually.:hihi:

Sand? The Rec. was cinckers from the funaces when I lived in Attercliffe. It must have gone up-market quite a bit

brooksy
01-11-2006, 19:33
Sand? The Rec. was cinckers from the funaces when I lived in Attercliffe. It must have gone up-market quite a bit
Attercliffe reck was great, a bloke called Jess took it over in the early 70s and gave all the kids down there somwhere to hang out.:thumbsup:

gosling
02-11-2006, 04:26
Hi Frankkettell, I think the pub you meant next to the Weslyan Hall was the Station, my great grandparents were licensees there long long time ago and my grandparents were licensees of the Omnibus for a while during the war. I also went to Huntsmans Gardens from 1937 to 1944 as did my two sisters Anne and Betty and also my brother Frank. We may have crossed paths somewhere along the way

frankkettell
02-11-2006, 06:23
Is there anyone out there who lived in Colwall St. in Attercliffe. Some names I remember are the O'Brien's, who were my cousins, there were lots of them. Frank Hirst was a rag and bone man and he had two daughters Linda and Violet. Mr Mac. used to sit us on a dustbin and cut our hair for free. He also used to bring his piano out in the street and play. That must have been a big celebration like the end of the war. Old Mrs Fisher had a free ticket to the Palace Theatre as she had such a laud engaging laugh that she got everyone laughing.The comedians loved her. Thompson's, Major's, Roger's, Noughtcliffe, Mrs Noughtcliffe was a real larger than character. There are more, does anyone remember others?

frankkettell
02-11-2006, 06:33
Hi Frankkettell, I think the pub you meant next to the Weslyan Hall was the Station, my great grandparents were licensees there long long time ago and my grandparents were licensees of the Omnibus for a while during the war. I also went to Huntsmans Gardens from 1937 to 1944 as did my two sisters Anne and Betty and also my brother Frank. We may have crossed paths somewhere along the way

Judging by the dates you must be a bit older than me. I am 69 and was born in 1937. If you have any younger brothers or sisters I may know them. At school even a year made a vast difference to the contacts we had with others.

frankkettell
02-11-2006, 06:41
Hi,
I'm new to this site and would like to know if anyone here is from Sleaford street opposite Banners. I was born there in 1957.
My family's name is Walsh. My Grandad, George Henry worked at the Palais and picture house as an usher years ago. I went to Huntsmans Gardens with my Brothers Steven and Henry.
My Grandma Walsh's maiden name was Goodwyn. She had a Brother, Matthew, who was a fisherman and was famous for some reason. His face was on all the trams and buses.
My Great Grandma's name was Annie Capel.
My Dad was a regular in the Queens pub in the 50s.

I lived in Colwall St. next to Sleaford. Warburton's shop was at the bottom of the Street. Many of the people I remember would have left by 1957. My family left in 1953 to live on Shiregreen.

Vulcaneer
02-11-2006, 16:51
My mums family lived on Brompton Road at the Clay Street End. My aunt still lived there for years and I can remember staying at her house when I was little. They went to Maltby Street school.

Joanl
02-11-2006, 17:03
My mums family lived on Brompton Road at the Clay Street End. My aunt still lived there for years and I can remember staying at her house when I was little. They went to Maltby Street school. I went to Maltby Street and left in 1957. Wonder if I knew them.:)

Vulcaneer
02-11-2006, 17:07
Hi Joan

My mum was born in 1934'ish and the family name was Castle. There was quite a few of them, the youngest being born in around 1944.

Joanl
02-11-2006, 17:17
Hi Joan

My mum was born in 1934'ish and the family name was Castle. There was quite a few of them, the youngest being born in around 1944.
I think I remember a Mildred Castle?....she went to Girls Life Brigade same time as me.
Methodist Chapel on Clay street it was held.
I was born in 1942

Arfer Mo
02-11-2006, 18:29
Not quite in Attercliffe but does anyone remember a corner shop on Petre Street in the late 40's/early 50's? I seem to remember they had a big dog.
cornerof which other st Saxon?

Arfer Mo
02-11-2006, 18:36
:) yo,arthur fearn, did you know Tommy Bywaters.
can't recall the name why do you think imay know him?Arthur.

Vulcaneer
02-11-2006, 23:11
Joan - I think you may have known my Aunty Mildred, my mum's younger sister.

frankkettell
03-11-2006, 08:49
does any oldtimers remember the antcliffe family -roundel street.
or the loomes family.
I remember Tommy Antcliffe, he was related to my cousins the O'Brien's who lived in Colwall St. opposite Banners. We called him little Tommy, big Tommy was Tommy O'Brien, or Fat Tommy when he wasn't listening. I think that Tommy's mother was Mary Antcliffe but I am not sure where they lived.

frankkettell
03-11-2006, 08:54
There was Dr.Cooper just of Attercliffe Road, we would see the doctor and if we had a prescription we would walk up to Raymond Hall's the chemist on Staniforth Road. He would always chat to you while you where waiting and seemed to now everything and everybody, a lovely man.
You are right everyone trusted Raymond Hall more than they trusted the doctor. I remember going there with my Mam.

frankkettell
03-11-2006, 09:06
having grown up on attercliffe in the 60 s andearly 70 s it was sad 2 see how it declined in the late 70s. recently tho the area seems 2 be given a new lease of life, with alot off investment going in down there do folk think it mighnt take off again.
I left Attercliffe in 1953 to live in Shiregreen. As I was 15 at the time all my mates were in Attercliffe so I always used to go back to socialise. I left England in 1966 and have lived in Australia every since. I first went back to Attercliffe in the 80's and wished I never had because all my memories were shattered. What a sorry place now from the wonderful vibrant place it used to be. There were many characters, is anyone old enough to remember the Duke of Darnal?

frankkettell
03-11-2006, 09:23
Sorry Kiwi, I fprgot the only other civilised place on earth. I've been to your big obnoxious neighbour, but never to NZ. Always scared down there of falling off. That couldn't happen to Canada.

I live in Perth Western Oz and of course believe it to be the best place on Earth, as was Attercliffe when I was growing up.

frankkettell
03-11-2006, 09:32
does anyone remember the name of a pub which was just across the road from attercliffe baths. it was where the donvalley stadium is and was right on the corner cheers.

I think that it was the Ball Inn

frankkettell
03-11-2006, 09:34
Brooksy, is this the one that you remember? On the corner of Old Hall Road.

http://www.swineherd.free-online.co.uk/lostpubs/setthree/gballa.jpg

Perhaps you can help me? I seem to remember a horse trough somewhere near there, or his my memory playing tricks on me.

The horse trough was just outside the baths on Leeds Rd.

frankkettell
03-11-2006, 09:48
any oldies remember the old cliffe,washford pub..grey horse ?
mick tyrrell.albert chinn? boys brigade,scouts whitsuntide in high hazels park..petrified tree stumps now in sheffield museum........rhino whipping case attercliffe police cells......burgesses.buy a suit off the peg.....green dragon pub ?.wards house below robin hood the sportsman.cocker brothers spring manufacturers, the old trades hall......the horse meat butcher.vegetable carts at side of banners.the ladders leading out of brown baileys into the yard of the cocked hat pub ?the notorious attercliffe police station.every one fell down the stairs your hounour......the red phone box in brown baileys yard.etc.etc...etcmick tyrrell died of t b.1952.albert chinn is still with us.murders on stoke street.gang wars...cellar great gang.lost to history russian edna murdered in high hazels.sillito coming in and using the biggest coppers in town to break the moony gang/park gang.someone out there still remembers this.what a shame their memories are not recorded before its to late.wheres the sociality students ? they could write a book and make a small fortune out of sheffields history of the past 70 years.......
When I was a kid we were all scared to death at the mention of the Chinnies Mob. Do you remember the Roberts family from somewhere in the same area? Little Brian had polio as a kid and he was carried everywhere by his brothers when he was tiny. As he got older they pulled him along on a trolley. You remember the ones we made out of pram wheels and orange boxes. Brian evetually got a wheel chair and he terrorised us with a catapult. In our teens we became good friends, what a wonderful world it was then.

frankkettell
03-11-2006, 10:14
slightly off topic but does anyone no what that big old building across from banners used to be. a few years ago it sold antiques but i came past it today and it was advertised as luxury apartments for sale. if anyone nos what it originally was let us no, cheers brooksy.

The buildings across from Banners, starting from Clowall St. There was a dry cleaners called Martins, next was a chemist, then a tailors, Sim Stanklers,he was good too, Applewhites grocery, Olivers butchers, Schweps furniture, Easifit shoes, Halfords bike shop at the top of Sleaford St. I may have missed one or two as I am going back over 50 years. Hope this helps.

frankkettell
03-11-2006, 10:20
just been chatting to a mate and he reckons there was an herblest near banners. ican remember a small shop near the horse and jockey but thought it was a paper shop. anyone settle the argument.
The Herbalist was Marsdens. The old man ran it for years then his son took over. We used to buy penny drinks there or a hot oxo for threepence. It was a meeting place for all the kids. Ther was a pie shop next door too and there pies were fantastic.

frankkettell
03-11-2006, 16:15
I was at Huntsman's Gardens in the 40's and 50's and Jesse Wileys sister Pat was in our class. I would love to hear from anyone from that era, Frank

frankkettell
03-11-2006, 17:02
Are you related to Syd Grayson who lived near Huntsman's?

cleegirl
03-11-2006, 20:51
do you remember miss deakin yes i remember miss deakin on my first day at school iwas in her class and i will never forget i was so scared she let me go to the toilet and i ran home clee girl

cleegirl
03-11-2006, 21:55
i am new to this forum butit brings back many happy memories i was born 1944 and lived on bright street till igot married in 1962 and i attended carbrook c of e clee girl

marypoppins
05-11-2006, 02:49
Hi new to this forum. I was brought up on Attercliffe common born. My mum and dad had the fish and chip shop next to Carbrook School (Attercliffe common) David and Betty. I had 4 sisters our names are Caroline Penny Angela Ellaine and Dawn beresford. my gran and grandad Wilson had the little wonder fish and chip shop also on attercliffe common past the rec. anyone know us we went to carbrooke school

marypoppins
05-11-2006, 03:13
i remember miss renshaw and so did my mum as she was her teacher too. i remember her kissing mr dunlop behind the blackboard. she was also very quick to give the cane. not to me but other kids. do you remenber the nursery. they put up camp beds and made us go to sleep.

marypoppins
05-11-2006, 03:35
I use to live in the fish shop next to the sweet shop when my mum and dad had it it was called cartonville fish shop i think,up to about 1966

marypoppins
05-11-2006, 03:39
Anyone remember a Dr Botros he had several surgeries including one on the cliffe,shiregreen ,ecclesfield, pitsmoor, he was more of a business man than a doctor!

yes i use to live three doors away the other doctor was dr taylor. one of them use to have a poodle with him

atlex48
05-11-2006, 08:59
I was born just off Coleridge Road, Dont know if that constitutes being from Attercliffe coz I lived over the Bridge , which may be construde as Darnall. I spent all life down Attercliffe and Darnall doing all the pubs that were on offer then

atlex48
05-11-2006, 09:17
Sorry Plain Talker, but there was only one pub on Staniforth Road and that was the "Staniforth Arms" Apparently the Earl of Staniforth would only allow one pub on the road. The pub at the Darnall end are addressed as Main Road (The Wellington)

owdlad
05-11-2006, 09:20
Sorry Plain Talker, but there was only one pub on Staniforth Road and that was the "Staniforth Arms" Apparently the Earl of Staniforth would only allow one pub on the road. The pub at the Darnall end are addressed as Main Road (The Wellington)

I never thought about that atlex, but you are correct. The Earl probably owned the Staniforth when it was first built.

commongirl
05-11-2006, 15:55
i remember miss renshaw and so did my mum as she was her teacher too. i remember her kissing mr dunlop behind the blackboard. she was also very quick to give the cane. not to me but other kids. do you remenber the nursery. they put up camp beds and made us go to sleep.

I remember miss renshaw very scary woman I was so glad when I moved out of her class . Do you remember mr marshall I dont think he ever used the cane but he made you suffer in others ways like having to stand in the corner on one leg or holding your arms out at shoulder level but he was much better than miss renshaw.

katerina
05-11-2006, 16:39
I remember Miss Deakin, she wore big bloomers down to her knees, she terrified me. I remember the fish and chip shops, does anyone make fishcakes now? Remember asking for chips and a cake with scraps. The pubs always seemed to be full and you could see a different film almost every night of the week. Everywhere you went there was always someone who you knew:D Happy Days!!

lolbiggs
11-11-2006, 03:36
I think there were lots of them, Henry, Amos, Alfie, Gilbert, Rose, Violet, Doris, Lena, George and Elizabeth maybe a Louisa. Im doing a family tree and any knowledge of them or pictures would be kindly appreciated.

hi shaz33 my grandmother was elizabeth stewart and my mother is eileen malone
i think my grandmothers brother was amos stewart.??

commongirl
12-11-2006, 17:44
does anyone remember any of these names Jill Witham , David Hanson, Judy Marvel, Freddy Keyworth, Alan & Susan Fiddler, Womacks family, Wilden Family, Phillip Gregory most of these lived on Bright Street or Bee Street

beemerchez
13-11-2006, 08:57
Hi new to this forum. I was brought up on Attercliffe common born. My mum and dad had the fish and chip shop next to Carbrook School (Attercliffe common) David and Betty. I had 4 sisters our names are Caroline Penny Angela Ellaine and Dawn beresford. my gran and grandad Wilson had the little wonder fish and chip shop also on attercliffe common past the rec. anyone know us we went to carbrooke school

hi marypoppins.
i used to go to carbrook school and my sister who is 6yrs younger
followed me through. i remember beresford's, but dont remember which one.lol
i was then Cheryl Chaplin i was friends with Jean browes,Janet Hussain.
and my sister is Gail
i'm 51 now, i was there from 5 at the infants then juniors
till going to hatfield house lane where i left there at 15
cheryl

beemerchez
13-11-2006, 09:24
does anyone remember any of these names Jill Witham , David Hanson, Judy Marvel, Freddy Keyworth, Alan & Susan Fiddler, Womacks family, Wilden Family, Phillip Gregory most of these lived on Bright Street or Bee Street
hi commongirl
i remember F Keyworth
well mainly his sister Linda, i used to babysit for her
she lived on clifton street if its the same
cheryl

Gemini2
13-11-2006, 14:58
I believe my Gt Gt Grandmother run a fruit shop opposite some steel works on Birch Road Attercliffe and the coal merchants was either next door or close by near Stevenson Road.
HI. I've been talking to my mum, and she thinks Amos Stuert' mum had a fruit shop on the corner of Birch Rd. and Harriet Street, she was to young to remember correctly, only the snatches of conversation of her older siblings, (now all deceased). The steel works near there was Jonas & Colvers. The house my mum lived in was destroyed by an incedary bomb. Soorry I can't help you more.

sharkw
13-11-2006, 15:34
Hiya Commongirl. I remember Fred, malcolm and Linda keyworth. Malcom was in my class at coleridge road school. We split up when it closed down and all those that went tp Carbrook, went too Hatfield House lane and the others went to Park House ( I was one of the others ) I spent most of my time down the "cliffe" I usue to hang around with Dennis gervis, Geoff Peacock. pete Walker.Tony Smith, flower twins.Freddy gregg Ann Chapman, Susan Gervis Sharon Kendall Any of those names ring a bell ??

lolbiggs
14-11-2006, 00:58
hi utah i dont have enough posts to reply in privat yet but should havee soon

lolbiggs
14-11-2006, 01:09
utah as far as i no my grandad was malone and he and elizabeth was not wed but im not to sure i will try and speak to my mother soon and find out more.some of my mothers sisters was dorris pat mona pam ivy mary.and ther was a brother joe.

P RODGERS
14-11-2006, 19:17
I remember freddy keyworth used to hang around with him

P RODGERS
14-11-2006, 19:20
i remember freddy used to hang around with him

pollyann
14-11-2006, 21:51
Is There Anybody From Attercliffe Who Remembers The Brothers Raymond And Duggie Hall Used To See Them In The 60sand 70s.they Used To Go To The Royal Pub In Woodhouse On Sunday Nights.

Gemini2
15-11-2006, 13:01
Hi Utah, I have replied to your PM. It is the first one I have sent soplease let me know if you recieved it

commongirl
15-11-2006, 21:05
Hiya Commongirl. I remember Fred, malcolm and Linda keyworth. Malcom was in my class at coleridge road school. We split up when it closed down and all those that went tp Carbrook, went too Hatfield House lane and the others went to Park House ( I was one of the others ) I spent most of my time down the "cliffe" I usue to hang around with Dennis gervis, Geoff Peacock. pete Walker.Tony Smith, flower twins.Freddy gregg Ann Chapman, Susan Gervis Sharon Kendall Any of those names ring a bell ??
Hi sharkw
I went to carbrook school then on to firth Park Geoff Peacock rings a bell I am not sure about the flower twins where did they live.

marypoppins
16-11-2006, 23:01
hi marypoppins.
i used to go to carbrook school and my sister who is 6yrs younger
followed me through. i remember beresford's, but dont remember which one.lol
i was then Cheryl Chaplin i was friends with Jean browes,Janet Hussain.
and my sister is Gail
i'm 51 now, i was there from 5 at the infants then juniors
till going to hatfield house lane where i left there at 15
cheryl
Iam also 51 and l was at carbrook from 5 then hatfield house lane but was only there for 1 year and went to middlewood road where we had a news agent shop. We lived in the fish and chip shop next to carbrook school. I am caroline and my sister is a year older called penny (penelope). do you remember pat jubb? and a boy called alex my memory is a bit vague now.

boldieheed
17-11-2006, 01:59
the graysons are sue, melvyn, steven ,paul ,marilyn, shirley, gareth and christopher and they came from britnall street

boldieheed
17-11-2006, 02:13
the pub was called either the ball or i think the golden ball

WaltGrayson
17-11-2006, 16:27
what number on beall st did you live, my husbands parents and grandparent lived in numbers 10 and 12.

my husbands grandad was called george wilson-leary, and he had 2 sons and 3 daughters.

do you remember mrs cooke, browns who owned a shop, the grayson family.

How funny how you mention the grayson family. ;D

My name is Wallis, I'm Paul Graysons daughter.
I don't know if any of you remember that particular brother? The little one in big shorts? LOL

My uncles Steve (May he RIP )
Melvin
Gags
and Chris~
And my Aunts
Sue, Shirley and Marilyn

^______________^

WaltGrayson
17-11-2006, 19:41
Yes, it is also true that my dad and steve were at Bradwell electrical before Steve went onto BT :]

Edited for accuracy. -.-;

brooksy
17-11-2006, 19:48
Yes, it is also true that my dad and steve started the engineer company before Steve went onto BT :]
You got any family off the manor pal.Iknow a lee grayson.:thumbsup:

WaltGrayson
17-11-2006, 19:50
Not sure, though my dad has joined this site, so hell be able to answer that for me when he figures out how to validate his email........ :hihi:

Billy_Casper
18-11-2006, 12:00
the graysons are sue, melvyn, steven ,paul ,marilyn, shirley, gareth and christopher and they came from britnall street
Yes but i think Paul was the goodlooking one and the best footballer.

Billy_Casper
18-11-2006, 12:02
I think that it was the Ball Inn
Theat was the golden ball or the golden Knacker to some users

Billy_Casper
18-11-2006, 12:03
The horse trough was just outside the baths on Leeds Rd.
We used to wash our hands in the trough before we went in the library altho it was full of tabends and fag packets.

Billy_Casper
18-11-2006, 12:06
Can anyone remember fat jack who used to sell green uns outside the baths he worked for a bloke who talked like tweety pie called Jewwy i mean Jerry.

cleegirl
18-11-2006, 12:14
Can anyone remember fat jack who used to sell green uns outside the baths he worked for a bloke who talked like tweety pie called Jewwy i mean Jerry.
hi billy yes i remember jerry he was my father in law so i think jack would have worked for my father in law as did my husband pete who had red hair and also used to sell the star on the baths corner many years ago now but happy memories

Billy_Casper
18-11-2006, 12:19
Small world eh? I liked Jerry i used to deliver a few greenuns and stars for him.

Billy_Casper
18-11-2006, 13:00
what number on beall st did you live, my husbands parents and grandparent lived in numbers 10 and 12.

my husbands grandad was called george wilson-leary, and he had 2 sons and 3 daughters.

do you remember mrs cooke, browns who owned a shop, the grayson family.
HI THERE WOULD GARRY LEARY BE YOUR HUSBAND?? Paul Grayson perth wa

tonytrav
18-11-2006, 19:00

do you remember mrs cooke, browns who owned a shop, the grayson family. i am mrs cookes daughter sue we lived with my nan and grandad cooke in the 50s they moved late 50s and we stayed till 64 my mum and dad were rose & peter cooke we lived at 145 chippingham street the winters lived next door to us and mr steer the other side if i remember rightly the graysons lived at the top of our yard. I remember mrs brown she had 2 dogs called bob & bruce i also remember paddy twins across road from us a irish family.I recall a girl called elaine cant recall her surname was it wilson leary?

brooksy
18-11-2006, 20:17
i am mrs cookes daughter sue we lived with my nan and grandad cooke in the 50s they moved late 50s and we stayed till 64 my mum and dad were rose & peter cooke we lived at 145 chippingham street the winters lived next door to us and mr steer the other side if i remember rightly the graysons lived at the top of our yard. I remember mrs brown she had 2 dogs called bob & bruce i also remember paddy twins across road from us a irish family.I recall a girl called elaine cant recall her surname was it wilson leary?Is your dad Pete cooke who lived on maine rd darnall.If it is i worked with him for ten years at chantry on effingham rd.Iwas the charge hand there bob.:|

Billy_Casper
19-11-2006, 00:32

Ta!
Hi There yes it was the Cutlers Arms , Our Local where i,d done my time behind the bar in my younger days.

beemerchez
19-11-2006, 08:34
Iam also 51 and l was at carbrook from 5 then hatfield house lane but was only there for 1 year and went to middlewood road where we had a news agent shop. We lived in the fish and chip shop next to carbrook school. I am caroline and my sister is a year older called penny (penelope). do you remember pat jubb? and a boy called alex my memory is a bit vague now.

hi marypoppins
yes i do remember Pat Jubb,i was her friend in school.
was alex the same alex.? he was a twin alex and eric wraith.?but not
identical..if memory serves me well...
they left sheffield in there last year at carbrook i think !!
so they never went to hatfield house.
there was jean browes my friend she lived up the road
at the back of the pavillion., june lawson she lived on broughton lane in the cottages.. janet hussain i used to hang around with janet
at weekends,her mum had mirians cafe..gary jones.
all in my class. any ring a bell. lol
my nan used to come to the school railings at playtime
and bring me a bar of chocolate on her way from banners no wonder i was fat.lol.i used to love playing marbles in the grate in the school yard.
at playtimes.
cheryl

cleegirl
20-11-2006, 12:56
Hi There yes it was the Cutlers Arms , Our Local where i,d done my time behind the bar in my younger days.
hi do you remember peggy who worked behind the bar

Billy_Casper
20-11-2006, 16:05
Did she have glasses and frizzy hair??

tonytrav
20-11-2006, 16:54
Is your dad Pete cooke who lived on maine rd darnall.If it is i worked with him for ten years at chantry on effingham rd.Iwas the charge hand there bob.:|
yes pete was my dad I dont know if u know but sadly he passed away oct 1999 sue xx

atlex48
20-11-2006, 17:16
awoollen. wasn't the Pheasant on attercliffe your last darts team ?

brooksy
20-11-2006, 19:12
yes pete was my dad I dont know if u know but sadly he passed away oct 1999 sue xx
Sorry to hear that, hadnt seen or spoke to him since the company closed.Very nice man and he knocked about with my dad in the 50s and 60s.They used to go cycling to the coast .x

cleegirl
20-11-2006, 19:18
Did she have glasses and frizzy hair??
yes she was my mum sadly she has long since passed

Grantham
20-11-2006, 23:40
CUTLERS ARMS

Hi Billy Caspar! - thanks for the feedback - according to the census our family ran the pub for most of the census years to 1901 (Naylors).

You were great in Kes!

V best to you!

brooksy
21-11-2006, 00:08
Sorry to hear that, hadnt seen or spoke to him since the company closed.Very nice man and he knocked about with my dad in the 50s and 60s.They used to go cycling to the coast .x
Also your dad pete knew my mom Fay brand,and my uncles bill and brian brand.He also knew my uncles harry tucwood and norman roberts of the cliff.He had some great stories about nights on attercliffe.Il share them with you sometime.Take care,Brooksy

cleegirl
21-11-2006, 21:08
thanks for your post greybeard. you are right my dad ken brooks lived on woodbine rd and then moved 2 chelmsford st where we grew up. he worked all is working life in various steelworks in sheffield. my moms family came of don rd and were called brand, also i have family of atercliffe called tuckwood and roberts.
hi would gerry roberts be part of your family i don tknow if he came from don road area but i know he lived on chippingham and then on frances street he had a few brothers one i think was norman but i am not sure as he was my father in law he had two sons i tink one is still around the other one peter i married but he died in 84 gerry wife was annie and the other son micheal

brooksy
21-11-2006, 21:34
hi would gerry roberts be part of your family i don tknow if he came from don road area but i know he lived on chippingham and then on frances street he had a few brothers one i think was norman but i am not sure as he was my father in law he had two sons i tink one is still around the other one peter i married but he died in 84 gerry wife was annie and the other son micheal
Norman Roberts was my mums cousin , the roberts came off attercliffe donkeys years ago but scattered widely.Alot of them moved on to the wybourn including Norman.He had two kids joanne and ian.:thumbsup:

marypoppins
21-11-2006, 22:47
hi marypoppins
yes i do remember Pat Jubb,i was her friend in school.
was alex the same alex.? he was a twin alex and eric wraith.?but not
identical..if memory serves me well...
they left sheffield in there last year at carbrook i think !!
so they never went to hatfield house.
there was jean browes my friend she lived up the road
at the back of the pavillion., june lawson she lived on broughton lane in the cottages.. janet hussain i used to hang around with janet
at weekends,her mum had mirians cafe..gary jones.
all in my class. any ring a bell. lol
my nan used to come to the school railings at playtime
and bring me a bar of chocolate on her way from banners no wonder i was fat.lol.i used to love playing marbles in the grate in the school yard.
at playtimes.
cheryl

:loopy: HI cheryl sorry iam going loopy in my old age. yes alex was a twin but i had forgotten. my sister penny said she rememberd she is 52 and i (caroline) am 51 i also remember your name and i think janet but not her surname. i also recall a girl called rita. did you know carol and tony i think thier surname was tompson or something like that. My fondest memory at carbrooke was having to go to the clinic with my cold sores. they use to put this purple violet all over my lips and chin then send me back to school. remember the boys use to try and kiss eveyone. one day they turned me around and saw my purple lips and quickly went running the other way. I also remember the NITS and the nit nurse.
caroline

brooksy
28-11-2006, 20:32
In the star tonight, a chap called Peter Wood has recently passed away aged 72.He apparently was landlord in the greyhound on attercliffe at some stage.Ipersonally cant remember him.The current landlord"just gone" was called mark and the one previous to that was called Ernie.Anyone remember this guy.Brooksy

whitewitch
28-11-2006, 22:43
I was brought up in attercliffe, i lived on Palmer st and Frances St, we moved out of frances st in about 1974. I went to Huntmens gardens school. My sister was in the brownies in the church just behind the royal bank of scotland (i think). I think they used to be a bingo hall on the corner of one of the shops near the crossroads on bottom of staniforth. Didnt the littlewoods shop used to be called Hitchens??? I remember going in there and banners, was hussle and bussle then. I remember the next door neighbours kid once reaching for the sparklers behind the tea pot and knocked the scolding hot pot over my foot, going to hospital and having the tea leaves picked off with tweazers (ouch) then spending bonfire night sat outside in an armchair with my foot on a stool. Amy pierripoint i believe used to run a fruit shop down attercliffe, opposite side of road to banners, also the wooden carts on the street corners, Amy's remaining years was spent in a residential home on manchester road. I may be wrong about some of the things above, as i left attercliffe when i was about 4 as they were knocking down our house, which was just off worksop road i think

warrp
29-11-2006, 15:38
Hiya Rosiebear,
In one of your posts you mentioned the Grayson family,do you remeber any christian names?My maiden name is Grayson & I know my dad was born down there?

Hi

My great grandparents were May & Sidney Grayson they had a pie and pea shop on attercliffe common. They had two daughters Norma (now Norma Hardy) & Betty (now Betty Robertson). Mays maiden name was Oldham i do know both the Oldham & Graysons had big families around Attercliffe/Darnall. It would be good to hear from anyone whos related or knows both families.

beemerchez
29-11-2006, 21:57
Hi

My great grandparents were May & Sidney Grayson they had a pie and pea shop on attercliffe common. They had two daughters Norma (now Norma Hardy) & Betty (now Betty Robertson). Mays maiden name was Oldham i do know both the Oldham & Graysons had big families around Attercliffe/Darnall. It would be good to hear from anyone whos related or knows both families.
hi warrp
would this be Laura's pea and pie shop oppersite st barts church.?
i know its not the same name...
it was on the row of shops where lants chippy was and peacocks, and the newsagents wagstaffs,shaws, butchers boldocks, booking office,not forgetting the little sweet shop,with the penny and two penny sweet trays..lol

warrp
30-11-2006, 17:08
hi warrp
would this be Laura's pea and pie shop oppersite st barts church.?
i know its not the same name...
it was on the row of shops where lants chippy was and peacocks, and the newsagents wagstaffs,shaws, butchers boldocks, booking office,not forgetting the little sweet shop,with the penny and two penny sweet trays..lol

hi beemerchez

The Pie & Pea shop was near the Pavilion on the same row as a sasparella & other shops. Somewhere between the Nat West bank on the end of Coleridge Road & where the police station are today.

beemerchez
01-12-2006, 08:35
hi beemerchez

The Pie & Pea shop was near the Pavilion on the same row as a sasparella & other shops. Somewhere between the Nat West bank on the end of Coleridge Road & where the police station are today.

ah .. thank you Warrp.
i dont remember that one! but they were that many shop
from weedon street up to banners that stretch,both sides.
i dont think we went to town much, no need.lol
or my mum proberbly run out of money,
before we got there,:rolleyes:
it was great, you could walk up one side and down the other
window shopping all day.

beemerchez
02-12-2006, 08:39
hi i know this is a very LONG shot but does anyone have any
photos from way back when say 50's-70's of st bartholomes church
top of carbrook street.
i lived over the wall a yard with just 5 houses in it. Newton terrace.
and would love a pic of our house which was at the side of the church over the wall.i only have one of my family in the yard itself so have no photos of the houses.
and even when you try and find it on road/street search it doesan't come up. like it never existed.just wondered if anyone had any pictures of the church, and maybe our house was in the shot...
thanks.

whitewitch
02-12-2006, 13:05
hi i know this is a very LONG shot but does anyone have any
photos from way back when say 50's-70's of st bartholomes church
top of carbrook street.
i lived over the wall a yard with just 5 houses in it. Newton terrace.
and would love a pic of our house which was at the side of the church over the wall.i only have one of my family in the yard itself so have no photos of the houses.
and even when you try and find it on road/street search it doesan't come up. like it never existed.just wondered if anyone had any pictures of the church, and maybe our house was in the shot...
thanks.

try this sight www.picturesheffield.com even if you dont find what you are looking for theres some very old photos dating back to 1800's kaz xx

beemerchez
02-12-2006, 16:42
try this sight www.picturesheffield.com even if you dont find what you are looking for theres some very old photos dating back to 1800's kaz xx
thank you whitewitch
off down memory lane:)

ozfan
15-12-2006, 13:39
I was born on Ripon Street, just around the corner from Woodbourn Road School (born in 1961).
Do you remember a few of the teachers there e.g.
Miss Hodgson, Mr Woodcock, Mrs. Ring and the Headmaster Mr. Sims.

tonytrav
15-12-2006, 16:09
yes remember mr woodcock mrs wadasworth went to live on manor in 1968
went in robinhood and dog from 1976

shaz123
15-12-2006, 23:16
hi does anyone remember the herbilist shop i think thats what you called it it was a sweet shop, with some steps going up to it it was on the same side as banners, i remember an old man with a cap on used to stand behind the counter, the white chapel opposite banners well my grandma lived on that road, shortridge street i think, me and my brothers used to play on the chapel steps on a sunday morning, after coming back from high hazels park with grandad those were the days.

Eleke95
15-12-2006, 23:22
I was born on Ripon Street, just around the corner from Woodbourn Road School (born in 1961).
I'm younger than you but also went to Woodbourn School (I was born on Jessell St 1969) Here's some more, do you remember any of these? Mrs. Monahan, Mrs Anyon(scary!), Miss Barnes, Mrs Tracy,Mr. Burns, Mrs Whitehouse, Mr Powell, I remember Mrs Ring and Mr Simms was still head teacher when I was there. :thumbsup: Did they have the school song when you were there? something like,

We go to Woodbourn School just up the road
Oh yes, just up the road
It's terribly grimy and terribly old
Oh yes, terrbily old
Etc etc etc.......

whiteley
16-12-2006, 22:11

I was born on Cottingham Street and also went to Woodbourn Road Schhol, but I'm a bit older than you, I'm 52. Where abouts on Ripon Street did you live, I had relatives that lived on Ripon Street, name of Whiteley.

PAT THE CHEF
18-12-2006, 02:27
Hi there,
recently found this site and have really enjoyed reading the various pages and posts ,especially the Attercliffe thread on the History and Expat page.
Dont know if anyone remembers my parents Roy and Ellen Hannan,they kept the Fox House pub on Shirland Lane from about
1967/68 till approx'76 when they moved to The Queens Head on Atterliffe Road which they had 'till about 1981/82.
.At that time Attercliffe must have had more pubs per square mile than any other place on the planet.
It was a great place to grow up,and I still enjoy going down the 'cliffe whenever I get back home to visit

whiteley
18-12-2006, 09:34
Hi there,
recently found this site and have really enjoyed reading the various pages and posts ,especially the Attercliffe thread on the History and Expat page.
Dont know if anyone remembers my parents Roy and Ellen Hannan,they kept the Fox House pub on Shirland Lane from about
1967/68 till approx'76 when they moved to The Queens Head on Atterliffe Road which they had 'till about 1981/82.
.At that time Attercliffe must have had more pubs per square mile than any other place on the planet.
It was a great place to grow up,and I still enjoy going down the 'cliffe whenever I get back home to visit

Had my 21st birthday in Queens head in 1975, in the room upstairs. Pity it's closed now, Attercliffe seem very popular for a night out.

Enfield
19-12-2006, 01:11
Hi there,

Hi Pat, I remember your Mum and Dad at the Fox House , pictures of Celtic FC
behind the bar, most of the locals playing crib on a Sunday lunchtime when I sometimes went in there with Jack G,Dave C and Stuart F.
I remember you even more Pat,especially our sessions usually starting in the Staniforth Arms,then up town, usually finishing off in the Crazy Daisy.
I havn't seen you since about 1978, are you still in Jersey?I moved to London
in 79 got married and been here eversince.Like you I enjoy reading these threads,some great memories,and your spot on,what a great place to grow up in.I havn't been back for over a year now,but hopefully I'll be up for the
Owls v Hull City match in the new year. Dave B.

JClarke
19-12-2006, 15:44
do you remember miss deakin yes i remember miss deakin on my first day at school iwas in her class and i will never forget i was so scared she let me go to the toilet and i ran home clee girl
Hi Clee Girl

You won't know me as I wasn't born until 1951 but my brother david rogerson was born in 1943 and went to carbrook school. He, my other brother Keith and me all were unfortunate enough to be in miss deakins class. I got a smack on my first day for missing a letter out of my name. I wouldn't have minded but there are many people even now, have trouble spelling Jacqueline!! She was horrid and it's such a shame as every time I go through Attercliffe and see the school, all I remember is getting smacked. My older brother Keith escaped out of a window once while in her class. She had locked him in there for leaving a tap running in the toilets!!! I wonder what the authorities would make of that now. Miss Carr and Miss Middleton were lovely though.

steve1953
19-12-2006, 23:39
behind the bar, most of the locals playing crib on a Sunday lunchtime when I sometimes went in there with Jack G,Dave C and Stuart F.
I remember you even more Pat,especially our sessions usually starting in the Staniforth Arms,then up town, usually finishing off in the Crazy Daisy.
in 79 got married and been here eversince.Like you I enjoy reading these threads,some great memories,and your spot on,what a great place to grow up in.I havn't been back for over a year now,but hopefully I'll be up for the
hi enfield i think i can recall you and pat playing football behind the staniforth arms pub you was a decent goalie and pat a very skillfull player good old days

cleegirl
20-12-2006, 19:49
Hi Clee Girl

You won't know me as I wasn't born until 1951 but my brother david rogerson was born in 1943 and went to carbrook school. He, my other brother Keith and me all were unfortunate enough to be in miss deakins class. I got a smack on my first day for missing a letter out of my name. I wouldn't have minded but there are many people even now, have trouble spelling Jacqueline!! She was horrid and it's such a shame as every time I go through Attercliffe and see the school, all I remember is getting smacked. My older brother Keith escaped out of a window once while in her class. She had locked him in there for leaving a tap running in the toilets!!! I wonder what the authorities would make of that now. Miss Carr and Miss Middleton were lovely though.
hi i remember david i was born 1944 but my point is miss deakin was evil i was terrified of her as was most of us i think if she was around now they would lock her up and through the key away i ran home on my first day cos she was going to smack me i can t remember why but i do know because of her my school days were spoilt because i never trusted any of the teachers i don t remember miss middleton but i remember miss carr and do agree she was ok

_chocolate_
20-12-2006, 19:54
yes i use to live three doors away the other doctor was dr taylor. one of them use to have a poodle with him

{QUOTE =Peter} I know Dr Botros very well, he was a very good doctor, many were treated successfuly and was liked by many, his colleague in the practice was Dr Tailor, there were many articles written about him and his family in the local newspaper. He married Florence Carter and had three children, the elder Dr Sophie Botros is a well known Proffessor in London University the second daughter in London I do not know much about her and a boy John is a Barrister. Dr Labib Botros lived in 32 Cavendish Rd before he passed away 1975. He came from a high caliber family, his grand father was governor of a state in Egypt. His father was the Solicitor general for the Egyptian Government 1936, he lived in Sheffield since 1918 where he studied Medicine in Sheffield University. He was really bright and intelligent when he invested his income wisely, which made him a successful businessman as well, besides he was kind and generous in helping many financially.

_chocolate_
20-12-2006, 20:05
Anyone know about John Botros, he was a barrister who lived and worked in Sheffield around 1970- 1975.??

marypoppins
20-12-2006, 21:53
{QUOTE =Peter} I know Dr Botros very well, he was a very good doctor, many were treated successfuly and was liked by many, his colleague in the practice was Dr Tailor, there were many articles written about him and his family in the local newspaper. He married Florence Carter and had three children, the elder Dr Sophie Botros is a well known Proffessor in London University the second daughter in London I do not know much about her and a boy John is a Barrister. Dr Labib Botros lived in 32 Cavendish Rd before he passed away 1975. He came from a high caliber family, his grand father was governor of a state in Egypt. His father was the Solicitor general for the Egyptian Government 1936, he lived in Sheffield since 1918 where he studied Medicine in Sheffield University. He was really bright and intelligent when he invested his income wisely, which made him a successful businessman as well, besides he was kind and generous in helping many financially.

I allways found him nice even though i was only very young he use to give me injections in the butt each day. He always stayed for tea with mum and dad we lived in the same yard as his practice. very nice to hear a bit of his history something mum and dad may have known they were quite frendly with him too. they were Betty and David Beresford from cartonville fisheries.

Enfield
20-12-2006, 22:35
hi enfield i think i can recall you and pat playing football behind the staniforth arms pub you was a decent goalie and pat a very skillfull player good old days

Hi steve1953,Are you the one with the double shuffle followed by a fierce shot on goal , which if I did manage to save, it would sting my hands for
the next 5 minutes. Also did you used to dee jay at the Robin Hood on
the Cliffe in the early seventies?

steve1953
20-12-2006, 23:25
Hi steve1953,Are you the one with the double shuffle followed by a fierce shot on goal , which if I did manage to save, it would sting my hands for
the next 5 minutes. Also did you used to dee jay at the Robin Hood on
the Cliffe in the early seventies?
no i did not dee jay but went to the robin and staniforth and travellers on cliffe when swanny was landlord i dont know about the double shuffle enfield but i could not do it now thats for sure

PAT THE CHEF
24-12-2006, 03:53

Hi Dave B.
good to hear from you after all these years.I remember those nights on the town well,actually I remember the beginnings of those night but not too many of the ends of those nights ,by the time we got to the Daisy I was usally (I believe the term was) popped up t' knockers.
I remember going down to london and staying with you overnight,one time,I was on my way back to Jersey.Ileft Jersey in 1985 to work in Bermuda,still here ,met my wife here ,she's from London I usually try to get back to U.K. every year or so.Will be back in January and will take in the Sunderland game(towards the end of January).
Do you still keep in touch with anyone from that time?I saw Dave C about five years ago ,still as daft as a brush.
Anyway Dave good to hear from you,all the best for the holiday season ,drop us a line sometime

regards Pat

Edwards_clan
28-12-2006, 13:12
Hi All

Does anyone here remember Cyril Edwards c1930+. He was an electrician and used to fix everyones telly's and fridges etc. He married Joan Hinchliffe in 1939 at St Albans Church, Darnall. They lived on Coleridge Road, Ripon Street and Arras Street, before leaving Sheffield in 1956.
Joan's Dad George Hinchliffe, had a chip shop on Attercliffe common about 1920.

vipguy
31-12-2006, 04:57
I remember John Botros very well. In the late 70's whilst still at school I had a part-time job at Uncle Sam's Chuck Wagon, Ecclesall Road, of which John was the proprietor. At that time is was an extremely busy and affluent concern and in many respects a long way ahead of it's time in terms of the fast food business.

John Botros was a tall and in some ways charismatic figure who was well presented with a moustache. I usually saw him in pinstripe suits (a typical trait of someone in the legal profession). The car he drove at the time was the famous "Citroen DS" in black. He was married to a very attractive blonde lady called "Kate" who I saw on a few occasions. They had a daughter called "Holly" and I heard they lived in Holmesfield (or was it Dronfield?)

John Botros himself was quite a likeable and honest person but unfortunately was subject to the ravages of drink. He was also a womaniser and had many adulterous affairs - some of them to the waitresses at the establishment he owned. My father did extensive work for him in the 70's which included work at the restaurant which included a train that circled the eating area. It is still there today and I often smile when I go in aware that my dad was the "creator" so to speak!

One of the investors in the 70's was Dave Allen (not the comedian!) the man who then ran Josephines and numerous gaming establishments. For some reason the partnership seemed to fade away although I never found out why.

I do know that Botros himself was a keen footballer and seemed to keep himself in good shape. Whilst at an interview for a legal post in Sheffield some years ago I heard that John Botros was the legal adviser to "Frank Warren" the boxing promoter and was there on the night of the almost fatal attack on Warren's life.

It has been stated that John Botros was a barrister. At the time I knew him I believed he was a Solicitor unless his status in the legal profession since then had been elevated. I have heard he currently resides in London or Oxon.

*_ash_*
01-01-2007, 04:37
(Forgive me for not reading all of the 53 pages in this thread)

I got 'a wander up the cliffe' and 'another..' for Christmas to add to my enormous collection of old Sheffield books.

What a great read, it seems almost unimaginal now how Attercliffe could have been so densely(sp) populated quite so recently.(to someone of my age)

ash

(excuse my seemingly pointless post, but I may forget about it, and want to read it all, and posting subscribes me to the thread to remind me)