View Full Version : Hillsborough Boys Club

broncolives
10-12-2005, 18:50
Does anyone remember this once famous sporting academy.
Boxing champions, pro footbllers, table tennis champs and the list goes on.
Captain Stanley Royle overseeing every aspect of the place.
What famous names do you remember from days long ago?

Freebird
20-01-2006, 23:40
I Used To Go To The HBC When I Was A Kid In The Early-Mid 80's.

Had A Few Games For The Footy Team And Played In Some Tournaments With Some Foreign Teams In It.

I Used To Go There A Lot Because Of The Different Thngs You Could Do.Snooker,Pool,Table Tennis,Boxing,Air Rifle Shooting,Etc.It Was Really Handy For Something To Do For The Local Lads.

Trevor Lemm? Was In Charge When I Used To Go,And I Can Always Remember Having To Pay Your 25p Subs Each Week.

As I Still Live Local To It,I See How Decrepid It Is Now And Could Do With Some Cash Spending On The Building.Maybe If Some Benefactor Would Donate Some Money,It Could One Day Be Made Into The Benefit To The Community It Once Was.Think It Kept A Lot Of Young Lads Out Of Trouble In Those Days.Happy Days.:clap:

Saying That,It Still Is Open (To Some Extent) As I Think They Hold Wrestling Events There.

babyboom
06-04-2006, 21:34
My late uncle Dennis Struggles used to help out there, it was in the 60's or 70's I think. I have a photo somewhere.
I have a couple of photo's of Mr and Mrs Toyal, it looks like a retirement, he is holding a big clock! If anyone would like to see it pm me and I'll email it to you.

geoffusa
26-08-2008, 19:39
I remember Capt. Stanley Royal. It used to be 6 old pence a week. Ted Goddard used to train the footballers. There were some very good players came through the club. Anyone remember in the 60's there ? Albert and Horold Wilcoxson, the late Keith Nicholson who used to manage the under 16 team. Robin Lee, Dave Travis, Robbie Brookfield, John Stanbra, all very good young players.

CHAIRBOY
26-08-2008, 20:09
I remember Capt. Stanley Royal. It used to be 6 old pence a week. Ted Goddard used to train the footballers. There were some very good players came through the club. Anyone remember in the 60's there ? Albert and Horold Wilcoxson, the late Keith Nicholson who used to manage the under 16 team. Robin Lee, Dave Travis, Robbie Brookfield, John Stanbra, all very good young players.

Hi Geoff, A couple of names there I knew; Ted Goddard, sadly no longer with us, who was head of Physiotherapy at the old Lodge Moor Hospital and Harold Wilcockson who was a full-back for the Owls. I played cricket with Harold and to keep it on topic - was Andy Burgin an Hillsborough Boys' Club lad? I played cricket with him too and both Andy and Harold were difficult to keep up with, especially when running a '3'?
Just thought of another possible - Graham Birks? Wilcockson, Burgin and Birks - all played at full-back for SWFC.

geoffusa
27-08-2008, 00:47
Hi CB
Yes Andy was at HBC. He was a very nice lad but grew away from us as he he got more famous. Unfortunately, Johnny Morrisey of Everton didn't read the script and absolutely roasted him on a drenched Hillsborough one night and Andy never really recovered. Harold Wilcockson was a good full back with Doncaster. I think Wednesday swapped him plus cash with my mate ( AND BEST MAN) Ian Branfoot. Ian phoned me a few weeks ago and he is fine. I worked with Ian at Lincoln City before he moved to Southampton. He's had a good career and is a damned good coach.
Back to Harold. His brother Albert, a center forward was a better player, although Harold would never admit that.
Another good HBC player was Keith Godwin ("Sailor" - as he worked for the admiralty) a no nonsense fullback who also played youth football for the Owls.Mick Parsons also took no prisoners. I am sorry to hear about Ted, he seemed indistructable, but alas none of us are.
Regards CB
Geoff

geoffusa
27-08-2008, 00:50
Hi Geoff, A couple of names there I knew; Ted Goddard, sadly no longer with us, who was head of Physiotherapy at the old Lodge Moor Hospital and Harold Wilcockson who was a full-back for the Owls. I played cricket with Harold and to keep it on topic - was Andy Burgin an Hillsborough Boys' Club lad? I played cricket with him too and both Andy and Harold were difficult to keep up with, especially when running a '3'?
Just thought of another possible - Graham Birks? Wilcockson, Burgin and Birks - all played at full-back for SWFC.

Graham Birks was a really nice guy. A left back. He used to take time to talk to us Juniors which was appreciated.

geoffusa
27-08-2008, 00:52
My late uncle Dennis Struggles used to help out there, it was in the 60's or 70's I think. I have a photo somewhere.
I have a couple of photo's of Mr and Mrs Toyal, it looks like a retirement, he is holding a big clock! If anyone would like to see it pm me and I'll email it to you.

Did Dennis have a knickname - Happy - for obvious reasons

CHAIRBOY
27-08-2008, 07:00
Hi CB
Yes Andy was at HBC. He was a very nice lad but grew away from us as he he got more famous. Unfortunately, Johnny Morrisey of Everton didn't read the script and absolutely roasted him on a drenched Hillsborough one night and Andy never really recovered.
Regards CB
Geoff

13 January '65. Wednesday were knocked out of the FA Cup in a replay at Hillsborough 3-0 by Everton. Andy had played in the first match at Goodison in the 2-2 draw.
Three days after that cup replay, Andy made his one league appearance and that was at Anfield, Liverpool winning 4-2 and that was that!

geoffusa
27-08-2008, 12:20
13 January '65. Wednesday were knocked out of the FA Cup in a replay at Hillsborough 3-0 by Everton. Andy had played in the first match at Goodison in the 2-2 draw.
Three days after that cup replay, Andy made his one league appearance and that was at Anfield, Liverpool winning 4-2 and that was that!

Did Andy go to Halifax Town or somewhere like that ?

CHAIRBOY
27-08-2008, 12:36
Did Andy go to Halifax Town or somewhere like that ?

Not sure. When he left Hillsborough in 1967, he joined Rotherham. The last I read of him - in a Keith Farnsworth book - he was a caretaker at a private school in Blackburn. He went to school at Langsett Road.

broncolives
27-08-2008, 16:56
Well well Geoffusa. I remember you playing football for the club. You weren't a bad player yourself if not up to Harold and co.
I wonder if you guy's remember that if you had a scrape Capt Stan would get the pair of you in the boxing ring for a round or two. That was real disciline.
I never in all the years i went there heard anyone give him any lip. Do you remember his dalmation dog Spangles.
Happy days and yes the subs were sixpence. (2.5p)

geoffusa
27-08-2008, 20:57
Well well Geoffusa. I remember you playing football for the club. You weren't a bad player yourself if not up to Harold and co.
I wonder if you guy's remember that if you had a scrape Capt Stan would get the pair of you in the boxing ring for a round or two. That was real disciline.
I never in all the years i went there heard anyone give him any lip. Do you remember his dalmation dog Spangles.
Happy days and yes the subs were sixpence. (2.5p)

I was never put in the ring. However, Capt Royal used to always tell the stories of him on the wing for City. Manchester, I think, although maybe not the first team. Do you remember his Wife, a lovely lady. They used to live at the very top of the building. Unfortunately, I don't remember his dog. I do remember all the under 16 football team travelling to matches in Keith Nicholsons's Carpet van. Good man, Keith who died far too young.
Who else do you remember from the club?
Geoff

broncolives
28-08-2008, 16:32
Henry Hall coached the boxers. A really quiet guy from wisewood way coached the second team(football). Dennis (happy) Strugles helped with the swimming and always watched the football first team.
I was there from 1959-67ish.
Mrs Royle travelled to manchester each day to work. Capt Stan played app 60 games for Man City as an amatuer (first team he said). Their son was a comedy actor who was on TV a lot.

geoffusa
28-08-2008, 18:30
I remember Henry well. Also his son Dave, who played for Wednesday Juniors.
I replied to Babyboomer regarding Dennis Struggles to see if it was "Happy". She is sending me a photo. Good man Happy, he used to follow us on all the matches and was a right laugh. I didn't realise Capt Royal's son was on TV.
Stan was obviously too busy telling us about his City exploits. Bless him.
I remember Tevor Lemm later. I was connected to Lincoln City at the time and we arranged to use HBC as a Nursery club for us. We nurtured some good players through the ranks. Such as Wayne Biggins, Stuart Hibberd,Phil Turner and more, all went on to play pro at various clubs after we sold them on from Lincoln. We also had a similar set up in Sunderland which produced the likes of Mick Harford and Mick Smith. The former going on to play for England. All from very humble beginnings.
Please PM me if you want to.
Regards
Geoff

babyboom
28-08-2008, 20:26
I've found some photos, will load them onto photobucket then post some links shortly.
Incidentally we knew my uncle as Uncle Happy, not Uncle Dennis :-) There are a few.

babyboom
28-08-2008, 20:50
I have managed to upload the pics, I hope they will bring back fond memories to some of you. Also included are the ones with Mr & Mrs Royale.

Happy in 2003 - http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff256/Earthmotherj/DennisStrugglesApril2003.jpg

Mr and Mrs Royale - http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff256/Earthmotherj/MrMrsRoyaleattheBoysClub.jpg
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff256/Earthmotherj/MrMrsRoyalewithBCmembers.jpg
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff256/Earthmotherj/MrMrsRoyalewithBoysClubmembers.jpg

Happy with Football team
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff256/Earthmotherj/DennisStruggleswiththeBoysClubteam.jpg
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff256/Earthmotherj/DennisStruggleswithunknownfootballe.jpg
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff256/Earthmotherj/DennisStruggleswithfootballersa.jpg
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff256/Earthmotherj/DennisStrugglesbackrightwithHillsbo.jpg
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff256/Earthmotherj/DennisStruggles-YouthChallengeCupWi.jpg

Happy with Swimmers
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff256/Earthmotherj/DennisStruggleswithswimmers.jpg

babyboom
28-08-2008, 20:54
I forgot to mention that my uncle has 2 memorial benches one is at the bradfield side of dam flask and another one is in the walled garden in Hillsborough Park (Dennis Struggles)

broncolives
28-08-2008, 21:24
Although I don't know many people in the pics they still brought back loads of memories. Thanks for sharing them.

geoffusa
29-08-2008, 00:37
Although I don't know many people in the pics they still brought back loads of memories. Thanks for sharing them.

Thanks a lot for the photos BB.
I recognise some of the players, particularly on the last one. Jack Bramall standing far right. A Centre Half of the old tradition. The guy next to him I think was called Albert and very quick. The guy in the dark top I'm not sure of. He looks like a young Keith Nicholson but would need that confirming.Uncle Happy looks smart as usual
Geoff

geoffusa
29-08-2008, 00:42
Hi CB
Yes Andy was at HBC. He was a very nice lad but grew away from us as he he got more famous. Unfortunately, Johnny Morrisey of Everton didn't read the script and absolutely roasted him on a drenched Hillsborough one night and Andy never really recovered. Harold Wilcockson was a good full back with Doncaster. I think Wednesday swapped him plus cash with my mate ( AND BEST MAN) Ian Branfoot. Ian phoned me a few weeks ago and he is fine. I worked with Ian at Lincoln City before he moved to Southampton. He's had a good career and is a damned good coach.
Back to Harold. His brother Albert, a center forward was a better player, although Harold would never admit that.
Another good HBC player was Keith Godwin ("Sailor" - as he worked for the admiralty) a no nonsense fullback who also played youth football for the Owls.Mick Parsons also took no prisoners. I am sorry to hear about Ted, he seemed indistructable, but alas none of us are.
Regards CB
Geoff
Sorry CB, Harold Wilcockson's brother was Allen not Albert! Pilot error

geoffusa
29-08-2008, 00:59
Henry Hall coached the boxers. A really quiet guy from wisewood way coached the second team(football). Dennis (happy) Strugles helped with the swimming and always watched the football first team.
Mrs Royle travelled to manchester each day to work. Capt Stan played app 60 games for Man City as an amatuer (first team he said). Their son was a comedy actor who was on TV a lot.

The 4th picture from babyboomer. The guy right at the back in the middle. Was he the guy from Wisewood who managed the 2nd team? I really recognise him but can't remember his name
Geoff

broncolives
29-08-2008, 15:08
Yes that was the guy who ran the second team. His name was Jack Vessey and we played up on Wadsley Common while the first team played at Owlerton stadium

Fiat500
31-08-2008, 13:33
[QUOTE=babyboom;3978294]I have managed to upload the pics, I hope they will bring back fond memories to some of you. Also included are the ones with Mr & Mrs Royale.QUOTE]

Really pleased to see my father in law, Jack Coyle, on one of the photos and also with his wife Gladys on another. Sadly neither of them are with us anymore.

babyboom
01-09-2008, 12:38
I will amend the name on my photos, I thought they were called Royale. Please feel free to copy any of the images, I am glad they have meaning to other people as well.

jjbarnesfan
01-09-2008, 13:23
[QUOTE=babyboom;3978294]I have managed to upload the pics, I hope they will bring back fond memories to some of you. Also included are the ones with Mr & Mrs Royale.QUOTE]

Really pleased to see my father in law, Jack Coyle, on one of the photos and also with his wife Gladys on another. Sadly neither of them are with us anymore.

At one time the different boys and youth clubs used to have games nights and play different sports .
If I recall correctly the Lemm brothers ; not sure if their names were Keith and Trevor dedicated a lot of time to running HBC.
I would have been one of the away team.
I do remember three HBC footballers as I played for the same Sheffield Boys Club team.

Jimmy Moore, Gary Moore and maybe one of your relatives Pete Coyle. All decent footballers and good lads.

geoffusa
01-09-2008, 14:43
Yes that was the guy who ran the second team. His name was Jack Vessey and we played up on Wadsley Common while the first team played at Owlerton stadium

Yes, that's the name. Nice guy Jack and all the players liked him I remember.

Geoff

geoffusa
01-09-2008, 14:46
[QUOTE=Fiat500;3988430]

At one time the different boys and youth clubs used to have games nights and play different sports .
If I recall correctly the Lemm brothers ; not sure if their names were Keith and Trevor dedicated a lot of time to running HBC.
I would have been one of the away team.
I do remember three HBC footballers as I played for the same Sheffield Boys Club team.

Jimmy Moore, Gary Moore and maybe one of your relatives Pete Coyle. All decent footballers and good lads.

Which year Sheffield Boys?

Fiat500
01-09-2008, 17:35
A bit confused with this last reply. this was what was originally posted by me:

[Really pleased to see my father in law, Jack Coyle, on one of the photos and also with his wife Gladys on another. Sadly neither of them are with us anymore.]

I don't know much about the boys club apart from knowing Jack Coyle attending regularly from before the war. Both him and his wife are pictured centre and towards the back of one of the photos, on the other photo Jack Coyle is second from right at the back.

demeer
01-09-2008, 19:30
Was there once a bloke called Martin Guthery in chage of HBC

geoffusa
02-09-2008, 01:46
Was there once a bloke called Martin Guthery in chage of HBC

That name doesn't ring a bell to me

broncolives
02-09-2008, 19:11
I believe he was the guy who ran the club after trevor Lemm. he may have been the one who oversaw the change from a boys club to youth club.Some would say it was downhill from there.

Sweatshopboy
05-09-2008, 00:12
Did Brenden ingle train at HBC? I recall in the late fifties a Irish lad either a professional or a top amateur training alone at the club but I cant remember the name. We were all in awe of him because he was a light year ahead of us lot.

dexesgirl
11-09-2008, 16:07
I remember HBC in the 60's. Me and my friend Denise used to stand outside and watch the boys go in and out of the club. There was nothing like it for us girls and we had little else to do until we started to go into town to the clubs. We were really envious of the boys. We were good friends with Jimmy Moore and Pete Coyle.

bazmcc
12-09-2008, 20:50
In the Mid 50's to early 60's I was a member of the Boys club.My father George McCabe used to play for the club inthe 30's/. along with Henry Hall,at football. At that time they were well known as a Boxing Club,and many reached a very high standard. The Boxing team also playd at a good standard at football.My father would take myself and Glynn Morris to Hillsborough baths on a Friday night.Mr Day would teach us to swim,and Happy was there to help.There was an Old Boys Association,formed in the 50's.Mr and Mrs Royle,were very well respected,by everone.They had a son,who went to work with Brian Rix, on the London stage, in the Rix Farces,and thier daughter Carol,was also an actress,in London.She performed at the Lyceum,Sheffield.I worked with Kieth Godwin,he had a twin brother.Another old boy was Chris Rabjohn,who played for Rotherham.We palled on with a lad called Skelley [Skelton] and would go across the road from the club to buy sasperalla,a fruit drink.It is wonderfull to see the old photo's of Happy,and Mr and Mrs Royle,and ofcoarse Ted Goddard a very good gymnast.At that time Fred Morris would help with football and cricket teams

geoffusa
13-09-2008, 14:47
Hi Baz
I remember attending HBC as I think a 12 or 13 year old when you were there. Also with Glynn Morris and others, we used to play the "Wembley" board game after going in the gym. I remember my first night when my Dad took me and we met Capt Royal. He joked that the subs were 6 pounds and quickly reverted to 6 old pence when he saw my face drop.
I have known your Dad from that age, through Wednesday Juniors, and indeed with Derek's "Allstar" charity football matches when we all travelled around to play games. Do you recall travelling to Luton or have I got that wrong? I would be in my early 30's then and I haven't come into contact with your Dad for probably 30 years now. Unfortunately, my Dad is no longer here. I do hope George is still around.
I spoke to Ralph O'Donnell the other day and he asked me whether Kevin McCabe at Seffield Utd was any relation to George. Maybe you can advise me on that Baz.
Look forward to your reply
Geoff

dexesgirl
16-09-2008, 18:57
Fabulous fabulous photos BB, thanks

bazmcc
18-09-2008, 19:53
Hi geoffusa, Yes i remember going to Luton with the Dooley Alstars.It was a fund raising avent for the Luton Rotary Club,Eric Morcombe,was there,as he was a director of Luton Town.I cannot remember the All stars team,but we all went by coach. Ralf O'donell,was understudy to Peter Swan at SWFC, and lived on Hastilar Close Richmond. His garden backed onto Richmond Park,I think he was a member of the bowling club which my dad started in the 50's. George passed away in 2001,and was still working forSUFC until he was 75years old.SUFC rearly looked after him and my mum Madge regards Baz

geoffusa
25-09-2008, 03:57
A bit confused with this last reply. this was what was originally posted by me:

[Really pleased to see my father in law, Jack Coyle, on one of the photos and also with his wife Gladys on another. Sadly neither of them are with us anymore.]

I don't know much about the boys club apart from knowing Jack Coyle attending regularly from before the war. Both him and his wife are pictured centre and towards the back of one of the photos, on the other photo Jack Coyle is second from right at the back.

Sorry Fiat, I thought you said Sheffield Boys. It's an age thing
Geoff

Redfyre
05-10-2008, 13:14
Re the old HBC, I used to go there in the early 1950s with a lad called Terry Cain. We walked from the Macro Street-Woodside area several evenings every week, and we loved it there. All very friendly, and Stanley Royle was a terrific guy, as was Ted Goddard. There was a big well-made chap who was a sort of helper, and he was good with the lads. Henry Hall was one of the most famous ex HBC lads, and I have a feeling that Dennis Woodhead, once of Wednesday, was a former member. I met up with Stanley Royle again in about 1965, and he hadn't changed. He was a well known boxing referee in his heyday, and he also played football for Man City as an amateur. In fact, I think he made his debut for Man City in a game at Bramall Lane long before the second world war! A true gentleman.
Re postings by GeoffUSA, and his reference to Ian Branfoot. Ian, of course, came from the North East, being brought by Alan Brown in the mid 1960s, and he was (still is, of course) a big pal of Sam Ellis and Jack Whitham. I knew Ian well, but recently lost contact after he moved house and he forgot to let me have his new address. Ian, of course, never had any links with Hillsborough Boys Club, but he was typical of the sort of sportsman Stanley Royle wanted HBC to produce.

geoffusa
05-10-2008, 21:29
Yes, Capt Royal and Ted were great figures in the local community and very well respected. I can't recall Terry Cain. Maybe he was a little before my time at HBC.
Ian Branfoot phoned me a few months ago completely out of the blue. He's back up north now and keeping well.

Redfyre
06-10-2008, 13:20
No, you'll not remember Terry Cain. I'm talking about 1952 or 1953, and, in any event, Terry didn't remain a member of HBC for long. He was a product of the same Woodside school that Howard Wilkinson attended a few years later, although my friendship with Terry began when we were together at Burngreave.
The Hillsborough Boys Club was a long walk away from where we lived, but we knew the club had a tremendous reputation, and I was always glad that I met Stanley Royle.

Elshadai
16-11-2008, 19:46
hey hey all,
The HBC is still running but under gone a name change and big time make over....its holdin an open day on 27.11.08. @ 19:00 to 21:00 now known as 'The 393 Club' but will soon be changing its name back to The Hillsborough Boys & Girls Club, it would be great to see you guyz down there, check out wots been done to the place, perhaps if you used to attend 'back in the day' and you now have yer own kids, send 'em on down....
For those who dont know the address , its 393 Langsett Rd.....
A new room is being opened on the night, history of the club and user groups, and info for those of you who might consider volunteering at the Club!!

thanks for reading my shamlessly cheap plug!! take it easy peeps ; )

Peno
12-01-2009, 17:32
In the Mid 50's to early 60's I was a member of the Boys club.My father George McCabe used to play for the club inthe 30's/. along with Henry Hall,at football. At that time they were well known as a Boxing Club,and many reached a very high standard. The Boxing team also playd at a good standard at football.My father would take myself and Glynn Morris to Hillsborough baths on a Friday night.Mr Day would teach us to swim,and Happy was there to help.There was an Old Boys Association,formed in the 50's.Mr and Mrs Royle,were very well respected,by everone.They had a son,who went to work with Brian Rix, on the London stage, in the Rix Farces,and thier daughter Carol,was also an actress,in London.She performed at the Lyceum,Sheffield.I worked with Kieth Godwin,he had a twin brother.Another old boy was Chris Rabjohn,who played for Rotherham.We palled on with a lad called Skelley [Skelton] and would go across the road from the club to buy sasperalla,a fruit drink.It is wonderfull to see the old photo's of Happy,and Mr and Mrs Royle,and ofcoarse Ted Goddard a very good gymnast.At that time Fred Morris would help with football and cricket teams
I have recently found H B site and it is great to hear about the good old times.
I am surprised no one has mentioned Geoff Worth who I believe was instrumental in devoloping the Sheffield Junior Sunday league what an achievment. I trained at Sheffield Wednesday 1960,s with Geoff he went on to become a member of the Derby County back room staff in the eatly 70;s
We both served our time well at HBC playing in all the teams and visiting Germany with Yorkshire Boys Clubs it would be great to hear from any lads around our time I remember George very well and of course you Barry all good lads at HBC. Can any one help I used to walk up to the common with a lad who worked as a auto electrician on West Bar cannot remember his name as most of the lads he was from Walkley. Henry Hall,s son,s Keith and Steve are very big friends to my family Keith is with me now reminicsing about his Dad and the lads we knew Regards to you all how lucky we were to have the club.
Peno.

Redfyre
12-01-2009, 18:25

I remember George McCabe very well, both in his refereeing days and later when he served Sheff Wed and then Sheff United. He was a good guy. Back in the mid to late 60s and into the early 70s, I travelled with George to matches --I esp recall going to a Birmingham-Spurs FA Cup tie, and being in the dressing room with George after the match. There were a number of local refs in that phase who were very easy to get along with.
It was a coincidence that George and I had had links with HBC at different times. My time, as I have noted before, was around 1951-3. I do remember seeing, albeit briefly, Henry Hall at the club, though I never spoke to him until some years later. However, I have fond memories of how helpful Ted Goddard was to everyone who went to the club. And, of course, Stanley Royle was a true gentleman --and what he did for HBC deserves to be remembered and recorded for posterity.

CHAIRBOY
12-01-2009, 19:44
Sorry it's not directly HBC related but must concur with Redfyre's view on George McCabe - a goalkeeper I think - and on the staff at SWFC when my dad was there.
It was usually Frank Travers behind the lens as George gave the thumbs-down in the Telegraph photo to a frozen pitch and match-off at Hillsborough!
I once went to Feethams by train to watch a Darlington-Arsenal cup-tie, when Lol Morgan was Darlo's manager and I shared the journey back with George - home in no time! I also remember his son Barrington from serious autograph-hunting days.
Ted Goddard, I met at Lodge Moor Hospital when working there during two summer vacations.

geoffusa
13-01-2009, 00:33
I have recently found H B site and it is great to hear about the good old times.
I am surprised no one has mentioned Geoff Worth who I believe was instrumental in devoloping the Sheffield Junior Sunday league what an achievment. I trained at Sheffield Wednesday 1960,s with Geoff he went on to become a member of the Derby County back room staff in the eatly 70;s
We both served our time well at HBC playing in all the teams and visiting Germany with Yorkshire Boys Clubs it would be great to hear from any lads around our time I remember George very well and of course you Barry all good lads at HBC. Can any one help I used to walk up to the common with a lad who worked as a auto electrician on West Bar cannot remember his name as most of the lads he was from Walkley. Henry Hall,s son,s Keith and Steve are very big friends to my family Keith is with me now reminicsing about his Dad and the lads we knew Regards to you all how lucky we were to have the club.
Peno.
Hi John ( I presume it is John) I remember going to Germany very well. Dave Travis, Robin Lee and all. I also remember getting substituted pretty early in one game for making a big German squeal a little and it apparently wasn't what was required. Just a little left overs from their visit to England earlier. Still, all was forgotten after as we all moved in for the Octoberfest celebrations. Hatmut was one of the home team and you called him "Hat" I don't think went down too well although they were wonderful hosts. HBC provided a lot of the players and had a great reputation.
Geoff W

Redfyre
13-01-2009, 13:56
Sorry it's not directly HBC related but must concur with Redfyre's view on George McCabe - a goalkeeper I think - and on the staff at SWFC when my dad was there.
It was usually Frank Travers behind the lens as George gave the thumbs-down in the Telegraph photo to a frozen pitch and match-off at Hillsborough!
I once went to Feethams by train to watch a Darlington-Arsenal cup-tie, when Lol Morgan was Darlo's manager and I shared the journey back with George - home in no time! I also remember his son Barrington from serious autograph-hunting days.
Ted Goddard, I met at Lodge Moor Hospital when working there during two summer vacations.

Hi, Chairboy. Again, not HBC related, really, but your mention of Frank Travers prompts memories of going on jobs with big Frank. He was a great guy, and a terrific photographer, but sometimes his enthusiasm got the better of him. I recall sometime around 1967, when Jimmy Hagan was manager at West Brom, Frank and I went down to Lilleshall to talk to Jimmy, whose Albion side were due to play in League Cup final. I was trying to interview Jimmy, but could hardly get a word in edgeways as Frank kept recalling incidents from Hagan's days at Bramall Lane! But, oh, they were good days.
By the way, Lol Morgan, I believe, is now connected with Rotherham Golf Club.

Peno
13-01-2009, 14:14
Hi Geoff did not realise you were the Geoff I knew from HBC. From your postings you seem to know more about the club than me. I am a year or so older so I assume you stayed at the club a little longer than I did. After the German trip I more or less finished at the club. The team moved from Wadsley Common down to The Stadium just when I left. I played a few games for Hallam but fluid on the knee put an end to that. Up to a few years ago I often used to bump into Happy, Ted, and Jack Vessey in Hillsborough Precinct. Just before Ted passed away I was looking for my wife Ted approached me. I said I've lost my wife Ted he put his arm round me and said how sorry he was, no Ted I mean she is in one of the shops. His concern was typical of Ted we had a laugh. I thought of going back to Lippstadt perhaps one day I still have some old memorabillia of that trip Regards John

geoffusa
13-01-2009, 15:25
Hi Geoff did not realise you were the Geoff I knew from HBC. From your postings you seem to know more about the club than me. I am a year or so older so I assume you stayed at the club a little longer than I did. After the German trip I more or less finished at the club. The team moved from Wadsley Common down to The Stadium just when I left. I played a few games for Hallam but fluid on the knee put an end to that. Up to a few years ago I often used to bump into Happy, Ted, and Jack Vessey in Hillsborough Precinct. Just before Ted passed away I was looking for my wife Ted approached me. I said I've lost my wife Ted he put his arm round me and said how sorry he was, no Ted I mean she is in one of the shops. His concern was typical of Ted we had a laugh. I thought of going back to Lippstadt perhaps one day I still have some old memorabillia of that trip Regards John
Hi John.
Lippstadt, what good memories. Do you remember Hatmut and the young German guy who drove us around in his Dad's Merc. The tour was typical of the reason the likes of HBC was all about. We made good friends both throughout the UK as well as abroad. Maybe more of that would go down well in this day and age. Going back to Ted Goddard. His stomach crunches while hanging from the wall bars are not missed however!!

shane39
14-01-2009, 14:10
Does anyone remember this once famous sporting academy.
Boxing champions, pro footbllers, table tennis champs and the list goes on.
Captain Stanley Royle overseeing every aspect of the place.
What famous names do you remember from days long ago?

Around 1980 i was playing football for Hillsbro Athletic against Hillsbro Celtic.After the match we used the Boys club changing rooms and also had a look round at the facilities.
When i got home i told my younger brother,(who was 8 years old)about the boxing down there.A week or so later an older friend started to take him down for the boxing,(I think the trainer may have been called Ray Gillett)
This was the start of my brothers boxing career,going through the amateurs.Fighting for South-Yorkshire,England,then turning pro.
Area title followed,then Commonwealth,British,European and finally World-title.
Have you guessed yet??
Clinton Woods.

Peno
14-01-2009, 14:33
Hi Shane

How good to know that Clinton had some connection with HBC. Can you believe my Daughter is engaged to Richie Wenton The first Super Bantamweight Lonsdale Belt Holder. He has asked to be remembered to Clinton. Thanks again for your interest in HBC it produced top men like Clinton.

shane39
14-01-2009, 14:47
Hi Shane

How good to know that Clinton had some connection with HBC. Can you believe my Daughter is engaged to Richie Wenton The first Super Bantamweight Lonsdale Belt Holder. He has asked to be remembered to Clinton. Thanks again for your interest in HBC it produced top men like Clinton.

Will do mate!no problem.
:thumbsup:

geoffusa
20-01-2009, 01:55
Hi John.
I remember playing in a game on Wadsley Common and yes we did move down to Owlerton Stadium. Maybe that was the start of the mollicoddled footballer. I used to flit between Wednesday Juniors and HBC sometimes on the same day would you believe. Capt Royle used to give me stick for doing this but whats a lad supposed to do ? I remember us getting hammered by Club 62 ( or 63) in a cup tie with HBC at the Stadium. We thought we were the bees knees with quite a few of Wednesday lads in our team. They had the likes of Jeff Young who I had had a few run ins with and they really pulled us down a peg or two. Do you remember that John, or was that after your time?
Geoff

Peno
20-01-2009, 12:28
Hi Geoff How I remember Wadsley Common I would walk up from Leppings Lane and then play on that dreadfull pitch. Club 62 were a strong side with the likes of Mick Viney and a very old friend of mine Michael Wright a towering centre half and of course became Vice Chaireman of Sheffield Wednesday. Funny you mention Capt. Royal and him complaining about you and Wednesday juniors. I had the chance to play with Wednesday Northern Intermediate side but Capt. Royal assured me he had big ideas for me if I stayed with him at HBC convincing me that I would only get the odd game with Wednesday. I think the cup game with 62 may have been after my time. Good to hear from you Geoff. Regards John

geoffusa
24-01-2009, 20:46
Hi Geoff How I remember Wadsley Common I would walk up from Leppings Lane and then play on that dreadfull pitch. Club 62 were a strong side with the likes of Mick Viney and a very old friend of mine Michael Wright a towering centre half and of course became Vice Chaireman of Sheffield Wednesday. Funny you mention Capt. Royal and him complaining about you and Wednesday juniors. I had the chance to play with Wednesday Northern Intermediate side but Capt. Royal assured me he had big ideas for me if I stayed with him at HBC convincing me that I would only get the odd game with Wednesday. I think the cup game with 62 may have been after my time. Good to hear from you Geoff. Regards John

Does anyone remember John Bennion, a center forward before Peno and Keith Nicholson who used to transport the u16 team I think,
in the back of his Carpet Fitting Transit. The seats were rolls of carpet and you had a problem if he stopped quickly. Unfortunately, Keith passed away some time ago far too young . What a good guy he was and a great laugh.
Geoff

broncolives
26-01-2009, 18:39
I remember John Bennion we were in the same class at Walkley School.
A good centre forward not big and bulky but tall and lean with good ball skills.
Saw him a few years ago at a school reunion

geoffusa
27-01-2009, 13:39
I remember John Bennion we were in the same class at Walkley School.
A good centre forward not big and bulky but tall and lean with good ball skills.
Saw him a few years ago at a school reunion

That's him Bronco

kenny.gray
28-01-2009, 22:59
hi.shane.uncle ken.calling i was wanderjng if any one would mention clinton.i once played in agame against h.b.c.for woodbourn.y.cin the sheffield int.md.lgu..we scored first but lost 25-1.they had players fromweds under 18.most of us were 16.hope you are well

bassplayer
29-01-2009, 13:14
Around 1980 i was playing football for Hillsbro Athletic against Hillsbro Celtic.After the match we used the Boys club changing rooms and also had a look round at the facilities.
When i got home i told my younger brother,(who was 8 years old)about the boxing down there.A week or so later an older friend started to take him down for the boxing,(I think the trainer may have been called Ray Gillett)
This was the start of my brothers boxing career,going through the amateurs.Fighting for South-Yorkshire,England,then turning pro.
Area title followed,then Commonwealth,British,European and finally World-title.
Have you guessed yet??
Clinton Woods.
I used to live up the road from the HBC on Hammerton Road.., but my father would not let me go down to it. Being of West Indian background in the late 60's early 70's he would say that we "Played enough at school"..how ignorant was that!!!!!!..
I would have loved to go but would not dare disobey him or...well I probably would not be here today ..so I had to settle with Explorers and Pathfinders which I still thoroughly enjoyed.
Everytime I pass by the old HBC, I still feel a twinge of unfulfillment about not ever going there.......and speaking of Clinton woods, I drove past him in his sponsered Audi A4.......nice ride...

geoffusa
14-02-2009, 19:30

Does anyone remember Jack Bramhall (Bramall), a tall no nonsence centre half for HBC. I seem to remember there being a framed photo at the club with him being in the same England Youth set up as Bobby Moore. Does anyone else recall that ?

ldgtel
20-08-2009, 09:54

I went to school with Derek Royal (De La Salle College)and he was great in the gym. It was during the war and he used to show off to the barrage balloon girls who were stationed on the football field by bending 6" nails.

poppins
13-06-2010, 19:04

Fiat...Jack & Gladys Coyle were my relatives, I was at Jacks funeral a few years back, that was the last time I saw Aunty Gladys, Graham gave me a ride home that night :o :D

You must be married to my cousin Phillip.

bullerboY
13-06-2010, 21:46
I used to sponsor hillsboro boys football team in 1980 when arthur lewis had an involment with them,I also looked after Happy Struggles cars in the sixties when I worked for Waldot service station,a real nice guy.

darell
05-07-2010, 08:04

Hi peno, Darell Cobb, here I've only just found this site but have already be in touch with Geoff regarding Dave Travis&Robin Lee re:HBC. I might have played in the same HBC/ Hallam sides as you 66/67? I played right half (midfield today)a mate of mine Jonh Lawson played right back and Dougie Mcmillan (ex wednesday) was manager.Regards Daz

Peno
07-07-2010, 11:58
Hi Darrel
Good to hear from you. I left the club about a season after the lads you mention joined. I was a member from about the age of 10 to the age of 18 along with Geoff Worth who was my mate at the club when we were kids. I do remember the lads you mention. I believe Dave Travis was captain of the side a very nice player indeed. Names I remember are Sandy Glossop Ian Gretton we won a Sheffeld five a side tournament out at Woodhouse. Sorry if you read this Geoff but you did not make that side. Anyhow nice to hear from you Darrel are you the same Darrel Cobb who's dad worked with mine at Jessop Saville I knew your dad.

geoffusa
07-07-2010, 15:03
Hi John
Yes I did read that. No problem, I've been left out of quite a few sides in my time. You must have had some damn good players though !!!

Peno
07-07-2010, 16:07
Hi Geoff
Just winding you up think you were two years younger than the others more your age than ability. Nice to know you have not changed after 50 odd years. Cheers.

geoffusa
07-07-2010, 20:57
Hi Geoff
Just winding you up think you were two years younger than the others more your age than ability. Nice to know you have not changed after 50 odd years. Cheers.

Ok John, you're let off. D

geoffusa
07-07-2010, 21:00
Do you remember the Yorkshire Boy's Clubs tour of Germany? If my memory serves me well, we set off the day after the 1996 World Cup Final and were greeted very well by our German hosts even though we had just beaten them at Wembley.

Peno
07-07-2010, 23:16
Hi Geoff
I left home on the Saturday evening of the 1966 World Cup Final and met up on the Barnsley bus at Ecclesfield Church, we changed at Barnsley and caught a bus from Barnsley to I think Mappelwell YMCA where we stayed the night. I still have a photograph of us at Mappelwell somewhere. No parents with cars to transport us. We were picked up the next morning by the Cudworth Lads who were our coach drivers. Driven to Leeds to pick up their contingent, then driven around Don & Dearne passing through Doncaster about 11 am 16 hours from Sheffield to Doncaster this must be a record. We slept on the coach at the port of Ostend some lads only young (17/18) got lost in the red light area till the early hours. They came back smiling though. Then at day break we set off for Lippstadt. Do I remember thats another story, but the unfortunate thing was in the first knock about I started with what was a long knee injury and was told no football in Germany. Happy memories Geoff thanks to HBC.

geoffusa
08-07-2010, 01:01
Hi Geoff
I left home on the Saturday evening of the 1966 World Cup Final and met up on the Barnsley bus at Ecclesfield Church, we changed at Barnsley and caught a bus from Barnsley to I think Mappelwell YMCA where we stayed the night. I still have a photograph of us at Mappelwell somewhere. No parents with cars to transport us. We were picked up the next morning by the Cudworth Lads who were our coach drivers. Driven to Leeds to pick up their contingent, then driven around Don & Dearne passing through Doncaster about 11 am 16 hours from Sheffield to Doncaster this must be a record. We slept on the coach at the port of Ostend some lads only young (17/18) got lost in the red light area till the early hours. They came back smiling though. Then at day break we set off for Lippstadt. Do I remember thats another story, but the unfortunate thing was in the first knock about I started with what was a long knee injury and was told no football in Germany. Happy memories Geoff thanks to HBC.

I remember the younger coach driver starting to go down the wrong carraigeway on the autobahn. It was a laugh at 17 altough I'm not so sure whether we would laugh now. If you remember we had played the German touring team sometime before at the Niagra ground and I had abit of a set to with their left winger ( Hatmood ). To my surprise he was waiting for me at Dussledourf when we arrived and had arranged for me to stay with him and his family at his house. It would be nice to trace him again.
Was it not the October beer festival for the whole of the 2 weeks we were there?

Peno
08-07-2010, 07:35
Geoff I believe the Germans called it their annual Shooting Fest. A good excuse for a booze up. I certainly joined in no complaints about that. The delicious taste of those frankfurters has stayed with me all my life.

darell
08-07-2010, 13:36
Hi Darrel
Good to hear from you. I left the club about a season after the lads you mention joined. I was a member from about the age of 10 to the age of 18 along with Geoff Worth who was my mate at the club when we were kids. I do remember the lads you mention. I believe Dave Travis was captain of the side a very nice player indeed. Names I remember are Sandy Glossop Ian Gretton we won a Sheffeld five a side tournament out at Woodhouse. Sorry if you read this Geoff but you did not make that side. Anyhow nice to hear from you Darrel are you the same Darrel Cobb who's dad worked with mine at Jessop Saville I knew your dad.

Yes , the same.Dad did work in Jessop's for a few years 12+hours a day,(the good old days).You might also know my brother,Brian.I'm now wandering how you knew my dad?I trained with Geoff,Sandy,Ian&DaveTravis at HBC.Ted Goddard was in charge,did he recieve any recognition, for all the fantastic work he did?(one of the best).Regards Daz.

Peno
08-07-2010, 14:53
Hi Darell
Your Dad stood near me and my Dad on the Kop at Hillsborough in the 1950's as they worked together we would have a chat. I did not know Brian that well. I think you could be a couple of years younger than me and thats how I missed you at HBC.

darell
13-07-2010, 13:19
Hi Darell
Your Dad stood near me and my Dad on the Kop at Hillsborough in the 1950's as they worked together we would have a chat. I did not know Brian that well. I think you could be a couple of years younger than me and thats how I missed you at HBC.

Hi Peno,I went to Hillsborough a few times ,I would be passed to the front for a better view & then passed back at the end of the game.Dad worked at Hillsborough for nearly 40years,at the Leppings Lane end,(North stand) he was paid for watching which wasn't bad.

keith0202
27-07-2010, 16:51
I played some table tennis in the early to mid-seventies and HBC was certainly one of the hotbeds for that particular sport. If I remember rightly it used to host county level fixtures, maybe even higher?

Soosie
29-07-2010, 19:48
Hi I remember Stan Royle as he was my sisters God Father. He was a lovely man, really cared for all the young boys in the club and was an inspiration to them all

c00per
29-09-2012, 12:37
Hi guys,please bear with me I'm new to these forums and message posting etc., I've probably got this one wrong but anyway here goes, does any one remember Albert Priest, he used to box at HBC in the early fifties and he got to one of the yorkshire finals but sadly came second. Any information would be appreciated.

geoffusa
30-09-2012, 00:41
Hi guys,please bear with me I'm new to these forums and message posting etc., I've probably got this one wrong but anyway here goes, does any one remember Albert Priest, he used to box at HBC in the early fifties and he got to one of the yorkshire finals but sadly came second. Any information would be appreciated.

Sorry Cooper, the boxers were a bit too hard for us footballers, so we stayed out of their way. Apart from Ted Goddard and Henry Hall who were real Gents.

c00per
30-09-2012, 11:39
thanks geoffusa, for the quick response, maybe somebody else may remember him.

rcarnell
23-11-2016, 20:34
Geoff Worth ...how are you Richard (Trevor) Carnell I recall you from Woodland View Chappel and some parties we had...I also played footy for HBC and was with the Owls Intermeidate side do you recall Hughie SWIFT one of the two managers and the lad from Sunderland Derek Oliver...? I though you would end up marrying Jill Marriott? LOL...do you recall the big lad sometimes played mid field think his name was STONE...? I scored a goal from 20 yards and Stoney nicknamed me Cannonball Carnell ha ha!

jwilliams
30-12-2016, 15:02
My dad played for Hbc and Portsmouth fc
I played for many years
Saturday and Sunday