View Full Version : Pop Up Tents? Are they good?

Saffy
08-08-2010, 19:56
Ok. They've been about for a while now so am sure a few of you will have one or at least have some experience of one .. I'm thinking of buying one (2 person) to replace my heftier tent as I have a disability that wont allow me to faff about like before.

Can anyone recommend a brand?

Thank you :)

mojo1
08-08-2010, 19:59
I haven't got one myself, but a lot of people I know swear by the Quecha ones from Decathlon. They seem spacious and watertight, but I'd go with a three man, just so you can store your stuff better.

Getting them back down can be tricky, til you've got the knack.

Becky B
08-08-2010, 20:08
Getting them back down provides campsite entertainment! Last time I camped I watched a fellow take 15 minutes with on/off help from others and still not get it down - the five of us had packed up, washed up, loaded the car in the meantime...

oldfox
08-08-2010, 20:32
go to dicathlon in town they have some great pop up tents. i got a 2 man pop up for 30 quid last year there they are all the same make. its done 3 festivals and took some hammer. just get them to show you how to get them down. its easy when you know how. it was called the queshua 2 man pop up tent.

smithy266
08-08-2010, 21:19
I have a 2 man pop-up. It is great for maybe one or two nights, but it gets a lot of condensation, and certainly is not 2 man. Although a doddle to put up, and despite what has been said in another post, a doddle to pack away, it is a big item to pack. 3 feet across, won't fit in my sports car, so I have to use the luggage rack. If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought a three man one. 2 man pop-up for sale!!

Mmrraww
08-08-2010, 23:20
Love my Quecha 2 man tent, although when we got it from Decathlon i saw the design/colour on the box that i wanted. However after opening it, the design was different.. no matter though it looks fine

Worst experience ive had is actually asking the bloke at decathlon if he has any '2-second erections'... Thats the name i'd heard them being called :hihi:

Steptoad
09-08-2010, 00:21
I've got a two man pop up, they're fantastic.
Getting them down is a nightmare though, fortunately there's a video of how to do it on you tube.

*_ash_*
09-08-2010, 01:54
I haven't got one myself, but a lot of people I know swear by the Quecha ones from Decathlon. They seem spacious and watertight, but I'd go with a three man, just so you can store your stuff better.

Getting them back down can be tricky, til you've got the knack.

my bold, agrees with mojo..

To add: I think with 2man tents (pop up or not), it really means one, unless it's a partner of yours, and you have nowt with you. Mine is two man, but would be a bit too cozy for 2 unless you are huggy friends, :hihi: (and you have little stuff) ...

Only takes a few of goes at putting them down to get the knack. (I required the help of youtube video to help me the first time). But, it is a piece of pi$$ when you grasp it.

I deffo recommend one Saffy. Much more time for cups of tea and laughing at others, who are strugglin' with complicated ones. ;)

-

However, you haven't said what it is for, and that makes a slight difference. If you are just popping to a festival as a one off or something, then a 2man would probably fit the bill, but if you are thinking of doing a few camps and that, then you want to make things more comfy, and go bigger. :)

The big 150 quid one at Decathlon is ace (2 bedroom one), but requires a few viewings of youtube films, and possible arguments with people who think they know better, before successfully completing the packing up. :suspect:;):hihi:

Admittedly, this one does either require 2 people to put down, or one person with a large 'wing' span. You mentioned a disability which could mean anything, but with the 2 man one, you don't need any strength (only the strength of patience first time or so :))

s.hawkins
09-08-2010, 10:40
Ok. They've been about for a while now so am sure a few of you will have one or at least have some experience of one .. I'm thinking of buying one (2 person) to replace my heftier tent as I have a disability that wont allow me to faff about like before.

Can anyone recommend a brand?

Thank you :)

they are unless its windy, they are tricky to pack takes practice.

Saffy
09-08-2010, 10:44
Many thanks for the replies. It' mainly for the odd night. My sister has a frame tent and just pottres off locally sometimes .. I said I would join her for a night .. I don't think my back would take more than one night in a tent. So ... one night use every now and again, that's all.

I'll have a nose at Decathlon .. thank you ...

alchresearch
09-08-2010, 11:37
The biggest problem is that they don't really pack up into something small, but a large flattish disc shape.

Saffy
09-08-2010, 11:52
I'll frisbee it home then ! :D Ach, there will be only me in the car so it can go in the back presumably.

Number Six
09-08-2010, 12:40
When we had out little car (Ka) the tent had to go on the back seat (decathlon 2 man).

It is only just big enough for a double blow up bed and a very narrow gap in the 'rounds' for a little toiletry bag and your shoes - but we just kept everything else in the car.

They can be a little tricky to get back down again - the first time we did it it was windy which didn't help, but it only takes me a few minutes now. It's quicker than packing up a 'normal' tent, but you do need to be quite agile and to have a bit of strength because you need to flex the poles.

I guess the bigger you get the tent the harder it is to fold it up again though.

Moosey
09-08-2010, 13:04
Another vote for the Quechua ones here.

Our 3 man just came back from Sonisphere festival with no problems at all. My mates took about 20 minutes to put their tents up. Ours was up in seconds, literally. Including all the ropes etc, about 5 mins maximum. Was fallen on twice and had no problems. Best 30 ever for a tent.

vwkittie
09-08-2010, 13:37
I'd never camp in a single skin tent again. Had to wear every single item of clothing I had to sleep in last time, SO cold :(

dorisbrown
09-08-2010, 19:04
can never get them back down

Darth Vader
18-08-2010, 22:50
A few years ago now, I was at Cayton Bay. My tent took quite a while to get up. A couple of hours later, despite the field being empty, some chavs pulled up in a flash little car and then decided to pitch right next to us. They had a new-fangled tent that had inflatable chambers, instead of pitching with poles, and they looked so smug when they'd got it up in about 10 mins. I was a bit peeved....

Anyway, another 10 mins or so later, when they came to light their bbq (too close to their tent!) and their bbq had spat at it, the tent went down even quicker than it had been erected! At first, I thought it was the sausages hissing. Sorry, but I had to laugh.

KTHFB
19-08-2010, 09:57
Another yes for the Quecha ones from me. I'd say if there are 2 of you though, get the 3 man tent as you can get your bags in there too with your clothes in, down the side of a double mattress. I got mine at a discount so spent arond 30 on it and it's been worth every penny.

They're not great to get back down (for me at least), and I haven't cracked it yet. Usually there's a nice male on hand to help though.

scoop
15-09-2010, 07:39
The big 150 quid one at Decathlon is ace (2 bedroom one), but requires a few viewings of youtube films, and possible arguments with people who think they know better, before successfully completing the packing up. :suspect:;):hihi:

Admittedly, this one does either require 2 people to put down, or one person with a large 'wing' span. You mentioned a disability which could mean anything, but with the 2 man one, you don't need any strength (only the strength of patience first time or so :))

I've got one of these (Quechua 4.2 Base seconds) I can put it up and down no problem, and I'm 5'4".

natnatt
15-09-2010, 11:18
We have the 4 man Quecha pop up tent bought from decathlon and its ace. My husband never has any problems putting it down. I must say we sit and watch everyone pack up in the morning which takes them hours and then our tent takes minutes!!! Its great
We also have the Quecha party pop up tent that we cook and dine in!!! lol
We survived a thunderstorm in our pop up tent with heavy wind and rain. We love our tents and they are great to store!!!

Agent Orange
15-09-2010, 11:32
I have a 3 man pop up. I have had it a while and it's ideal for short camping trips. Great value for money. The only issue is the packing and the space the damn thing takes up, but other than that, I would recommend one.

shazeroo
15-09-2010, 21:42
I've got one of these (Quechua 4.2 Base seconds) I can put it up and down no problem, and I'm 5'4".

im 5'5'' and can do it on my own, usually send husband and kids to check out amenities and leave me to set up 'home' and same again to pack away, no problems once you have done it once its easy.

There are 5 of us and we have loads of room best tent weve ever had!

Smack Jack
15-09-2010, 22:09
I have one of the little Declathon two man beauties. Putting it up is great but taking it back down a total mission. It doesnt help that inevitably I'm always hanging when taking one down but I swear stone sober you would have to be at least a maths whizz to work it out. Camping in it this weekend and expecting to freeze my ass off mind

megalithic
15-09-2010, 22:37
Personally i'd never use one, well ok at a push i would for one night and no more.
Huge packed size, suffer terrible condensation and a right bugger to strike down if your not used to doing it.
Give me a real tent any day. :)

scoop
16-09-2010, 10:30
I have one of the little Declathon two man beauties. Putting it up is great but taking it back down a total mission. It doesnt help that inevitably I'm always hanging when taking one down but I swear stone sober you would have to be at least a maths whizz to work it out. Camping in it this weekend and expecting to freeze my ass off mind

Funnily enough, I have the big 4.2 tent and also a 3 man vango pop up.

The big one is easier to fold down than the small one.

I vave a similar sized "proper" tent to the 4.2 and the 4.2 is definitley quicker and less of a faff to put away.

As others have said though, the pack size is a definite disadvantage, Though I did once famously fit all my camping gear including my quechua and three nephews into my micra for a week camping in whitby!

steelhead31
16-09-2010, 11:32
The decathlon / quechua pop ups are all double skinned, so dont suffer from the condensation problems like a lot of the other pop up tents... pack size is an issue.. The older models are much easier to put away than the newer ones...

nzo01
17-09-2010, 14:45
we love ours from decathlon. would recommend !

rad
17-09-2010, 17:40
Another vote for the Decathlon ones. Mine is 3-man and is great. I don't know that I'd want to use it for more than two or three nights in a row, but it's not that hard to put down... after about five attempts :hihi: