View Full Version : Should Ebuyer be reported for this?

Berberis
06-08-2010, 15:19
I was wondering id Ebuyer should be reported for their policy of removing all bad reviews of their products from their site. The likes of Amazon etal allow both positive and negative reviews of the products they stock or sell. However I know for a fact Ebuyer delete all negative reviews.

Is this playing by the rules and should they be forced to allow negative reviews or remove the functionality all together from their site. The current review system paints a false picture of their products.

HeadingNorth
06-08-2010, 15:21
Is there a way to tell how many people have not left good reviews? That in itself would be informative.

A lot of sites won't allow bad reviews because they open themselves up to libel charges if those reviews are unjustifable. Under English law, apparently, a company can sue the website that carries a malicious review, as well as, or instead of, the person who actually wrote it.

Berberis
06-08-2010, 15:24
Is there a way to tell how many people have not left good reviews? That in itself would be informative.

A lot of sites won't allow bad reviews because they open themselves up to libel charges if those reviews are unjustifable. Under English law, apparently, a company can sue the website that carries a malicious review, as well as, or instead of, the person who actually wrote it.

Not if they state on the site the reviews are not the option of ebuyer but that of the author. Argos have negative reviews on their site and their data servers are in the UK.

truman
I was wondering id Ebuyer should be reported for their policy of removing all bad reviews of their products from their site. The likes of Amazon etal allow both positive and negative reviews of the products they stock or sell. However I know for a fact Ebuyer delete all negative reviews.

Is this playing by the rules and should they be forced to allow negative reviews or remove the functionality all together from their site. The current review system paints a false picture of their products.

I suppose it's the same with film/book reviews..the promoters never show the bad ones....

Sheff Laser
I think if people want to leave bad reviews about ebuyer or a product they sell they would be better using an independent review site such as reviewcentre.com for this.

Alex C.
06-08-2010, 15:30
Not if they state on the site the reviews are not the option of ebuyer but that of the author. Argos have negative reviews on their site and their data servers are in the UK.

Are reviews instant or pre-moderated by ebuyer?

Berberis
06-08-2010, 15:35
Are reviews instant or pre-moderated by ebuyer?

The site states neither, but I know they are moderated by ebuyer and only positive reviews are published while negative reviews of any sort are deleted.

Beakerzoid
06-08-2010, 15:39
Do they remove negative reviews? If so, how come it took me only a couple of minutes to find some negatives on there (such as two for http://www.ebuyer.com/product/161328#reviews posted 28/8/2009 and 23/09/2009 towards the bottom of the page...so plenty of time to remove them)

Plenty more if you look around.

Alex C.
06-08-2010, 15:41
The site states neither, but I know they are moderated by ebuyer and only positive reviews are published while negative reviews of any sort are deleted.

If they pre-moderate (or post moderate after being submitted) them, then they assume legal responsibility for the comments made, regardless of their t's and c's. This may be why they do not publish the negative reviews.

Pincer Masons (http://www.out-law.com/page-7841#Moderatedsites)

Paul2412
06-08-2010, 15:44

Although probably unethical, I highly doubt its illegal or that they have broken any rules. At the end of the day, if they are being dishonest about the reviews left then just shop at Amazon instead.

I'm looking at putting in reviews on my website, but as someone earlier pointed out, it's ME who could get in trouble if someone wrote something about someone that is derogatory.

L00b
06-08-2010, 15:47

Is this playing by the rules and should they be forced to allow negative reviews or remove the functionality all together from their site. The current review system paints a false picture of their products.Reported to who, and what are these "rules" you refer to? Do they have any legal basis?

...didn't think so ;)

Berberis
06-08-2010, 15:55
Do they remove negative reviews? If so, how come it took me only a couple of minutes to find some negatives on there (such as two for http://www.ebuyer.com/product/161328#reviews posted 28/8/2009 and 23/09/2009 towards the bottom of the page...so plenty of time to remove them)

Plenty more if you look around.

Hmm, well I can say for sure I know they delete the bad reviews as I know one of the people who do it! I also know my own reviews of bad products have never appeared and they were purely objective reviews.

The odd few bad reviews seems to show some slip through the net. But that doesn't change the fact I know 100% that they employ people to delete bad reviews from their site.

Berberis
06-08-2010, 15:56
Although probably unethical, I highly doubt its illegal or that they have broken any rules. At the end of the day, if they are being dishonest about the reviews left then just shop at Amazon instead.

I'm looking at putting in reviews on my website, but as someone earlier pointed out, it's ME who could get in trouble if someone wrote something about someone that is derogatory.

No its not and that is highlighted by Argos having negative reviews on their site which is hosted in the UK.

Berberis
06-08-2010, 16:00
Reported to who, and what are these "rules" you refer to? Do they have any legal basis?

...didn't think so ;)

Department of trade and industry maybe or perhaps the Office of Fair Trading?

You could start with the trades description act or the sales of goods act maybe.

truman
06-08-2010, 16:01

You could start with the trades description act or the sales of goods act maybe.

As I said earlier why are reviews on there different to film/book reviews..you never seem to see a bad one on the book cover....

Magilla
06-08-2010, 16:05

Exactly the same as Overclockers.co.uk. One of the reasons I don't use them.

HeadingNorth
06-08-2010, 16:28

Neither of those would be interested unless the reviews that are visible, are either fraudulent, or written by the vendor himself.

There's no obligation for a website to publish reviews at all, and there's certainly no obligation to publish bad ones.

Berberis
06-08-2010, 16:35
As I said earlier why are reviews on there different to film/book reviews..you never seem to see a bad one on the book cover....

A book cover or DVD has only a limited amount of space, while the internet obvious does not. Also, reviews on books and DVD's are 99% of the time from reputable sources that can be substantiated. Reviews on a website come from the end user / other people who have the same product.

Removing bad reviews is both unethical, but more importantly is misleading to the customer.

truman
06-08-2010, 16:37
A book cover or DVD has only a limited amount of space, while the internet obvious does not. Also, reviews on books and DVD's are 99% of the time from reputable sources that can be substantiated. Reviews on a website come from the end user / other people who have the same product.

Removing bad reviews is both unethical, but more importantly is misleading to the customer.

So are saying that no bad reviews are ever given for books/films or that the producers/publishers decline to print them..? If the former then I don't believe it,if the latter then what is the difference between ebuyer and the film/book producers?

Berberis
06-08-2010, 16:38
Neither of those would be interested unless the reviews that are visible, are either fraudulent, or written by the vendor himself.

There's no obligation for a website to publish reviews at all, and there's certainly no obligation to publish bad ones.

It would be acceptable if Ebuyer removed all reviews, but to only publish the good ones is wrong in my opinion and is painting a very different picture to prospective consumers. In essence they are hiding information about their products.

truman
06-08-2010, 16:39
It would be acceptable if Ebuyer removed all reviews, but to only publish the good ones is wrong in my opinion and is painting a very different picture to prospective consumers. In essence they are hiding information about their products.

No,they're doing what every business does....highlighting the positives of their goods...

Berberis
06-08-2010, 16:40
So are saying that no bad reviews are ever given for books/films or that the producers/publishers decline to print them..? If the former then I don't believe it,if the latter then what is the difference between ebuyer and the film/book producers?

I suppose the only way to compare is if there is an official site for one Book/Film that takes reviews. I cant think of any personally, if you can please link it, but if there is not, I refer back to my original answer that Books and DVD's have limited space for reviews. While the likes of Ebuyer / Argos / Amazon do not, but only Ebuyer from that list filters its reviews.

Berberis
06-08-2010, 16:42
No,they're doing what every business does....highlighting the positives of their goods...

Every business? Amazon and Argos both publish negative reviews.

truman
06-08-2010, 16:45
Every business? Amazon and Argos both publish negative reviews.

Do Amazon actually sell or are they more of a "marketplace" these days?...genuine question....

Berberis
06-08-2010, 16:50
Do Amazon actually sell or are they more of a "marketplace" these days?...genuine question....

(I just checked) A product dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk has 19 1star reviews all the way up to 15 5star reviews.

So yes they do and they allow people to post whatever review they want, the same can be said for Argos and most other online retailers.

L00b
06-08-2010, 16:50
You could start with the trades description act or the sales of goods act maybe.Irrelevant. So...
Department of trade and industry maybe or perhaps the Office of Fair Trading?...wouldn't be interested in the least. Next option?
It would be acceptable if Ebuyer removed all reviews, but to only publish the good ones is wrong in my opinion and is painting a very different picture to prospective consumers.Your opinion is fair, for sure, but as already pointed out by HeadingNorth, there is no legislative framework in place about the matter.

So it would be acceptable to you (and many others I'm sure), but at the end of the day, you can only wish ...and eBuyer decides.
In essence they are hiding information about their products.Product information, for the vast majority of the products eBuyer sells, is all there on t'Interweb from many different sources, easily and freely available.

They are not hiding anything you can't find about one way or the other, save perhaps as to their quality of service (which can also be found about on sites not under the control of eBuyer). I can't comment about that, because the very few times I've bought from eBuyer, the product has been as described (as you'd expect it to, being branded and whatnot, whether bought from them, Amazon, Expansys or another) and delivery/service exactly as advertised.

IamChiChi
06-08-2010, 16:54

Your opinion doesn't matter. What matters is that they are not doing anything illegal. It's up to them whether or not to show the bad reviews.

melthebell
06-08-2010, 16:55
i always thought all the reviews on those type of sites were made up anyway? :suspect:

Berberis
06-08-2010, 17:04
Your opinion doesn't matter. What matters is that they are not doing anything illegal. It's up to them whether or not to show the bad reviews.

That was my point and the reason for this thread.

This wouldn't be the first time Ebuyer have been found to contradict UK laws. The Sheffield branch of the OFT for one year had more complaints about ebuyer then every other company combined.

I do not have a personal gripe with ebuyer. I still buy from them.

waggler
06-08-2010, 19:38
they should be prosecuted it is fraud

probedb
06-08-2010, 19:40

It's still their website, they are user submitted reviews, if they want to remove any user submitted content it's entirely within their rights to do so.

Why do you think it's illegal?

waggler, please explain exactly how this is fraud.

warrior8
06-08-2010, 19:47

Why do you think the Sale of Goods Act is relevant?! :confused:

Cyclone
06-08-2010, 19:56
Because there's no provision in it that says you must publish balanced reviews of a product...

HeadingNorth
06-08-2010, 20:09

There is no fraud. Nothing that's published is falsified, and they are not required to publish all reviews.

Karis
06-08-2010, 20:12
The trouble is: people leave negative reviews for all kinds of reasons. Sometimes, just because they can.

I agree that deleting negative reviews is bad, but if that's the case, don't buy from Ebuyer!

Old_Bloke
06-08-2010, 20:20

Would you care to explain how it is fraud? To be fraudulent eBuyer would have to be breaking at least one relevant law.

I'd agree that it's unethical, but I very much doubt it's illegal.