View Full Version : Where to put the crimean war memorial

Wardsbitter
01-05-2010, 14:17
The Crimean [have I spelt that correctly ? ] War Memorial is currently homeless as well in several parts- has anyone any suggestions as to where it should be relocated in the city centre?

dink
01-05-2010, 14:19
why not outside the town hall? or on barker pool?

duckweed
01-05-2010, 14:30
It used to be at the foot of the Moor. Maybe it should go back there.

Wardsbitter
01-05-2010, 14:34
Well Dink its a bit big and could clash with the war memorial in Barkers Pool. It could fit in well where the fountain was at the top of Fargate. Pity we can't put it near the contemporay Bethel Sunday School in Cambridge Street[dueto come down for Sevenstone]. Anyone got any ideas? Its on Picture Sheffield- any one know how to post an image of it?

dink
01-05-2010, 14:44
would it fit next to the town hall? set back behind the bus stops behind maplins?

Its a shame alot of these memorials are hiden like the one in fitzalan square that alot of people dont get to see.

Wardsbitter
01-05-2010, 14:54
Hi Dink and Duckweed,

The memorial's been about Duckwood- wasn't it at Moorhead at some stage?

As for Fitzallan Square the statue of King Ted is usually crowned with plastic bottles and spikes to keep the pigeons at bay. Like Hartshead with that awful piece of public art. the square is basically unused except for marauding skate boaders. I've have to have a look at Maplins-Cheers Dink.

Snook
01-05-2010, 14:57
I think it would be good right in the middle of St Mary's roundabout.

hard2miss
01-05-2010, 15:00
Stick it on top of that big stupid eye sore of a building they built so we can all see it.

duckweed
01-05-2010, 17:55
Seem to remember reading that there was a couple of Crimean cannons with it. Are they with monument?

Greybeard
01-05-2010, 18:24
I remember it at Moorhead when I were a lad, then it went to the Botanical gardens - minus the column.

Has the old lass been evicted again ?

Perhaps they could sandblast her and stick her in the new Tudor square.

Wardsbitter
01-05-2010, 19:21
Hi Duckweed,

Believe cannons went for scrap in WW2 ! They kept a Russian cannon, maybe another in Retford.Still there but not the one's from Sheffield.

duckweed
01-05-2010, 19:24
Pity we could have put the cannon outside the town hall

karl101
01-05-2010, 19:43
Is this it? http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/zoom.pl?picture=http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/s00202.jpg

Put it in Weston Park

K.

Wardsbitter
01-05-2010, 19:54
Cheers Karl101,

Thats it-the top bit looks like a young Queen Victoria but is supposed to represent Victory and was in the Botanical Gardens. The col-I think- is in several pieces in Upperthorpe while there's a bit missing that the Council sold but don't remember who to !

Hillsborough Barracks is a thought but it should stay in the city centre.

dink
01-05-2010, 20:00
Could i ask where that picture was taken? if anyone can identify it? maybe it could go back there if it is possible.

Wardsbitter
01-05-2010, 20:10
Hi Dink,

That's Moorhead - roughly where the electrical store is now- God what do they call it !

Newton Chambers used but it got flattened in the Blitz.

karl101
01-05-2010, 21:37
Cheers Karl101,

Thats it-the top bit looks like a young Queen Victoria but is supposed to represent Victory and was in the Botanical Gardens. The col-I think- is in several pieces in Upperthorpe while there's a bit missing that the Council sold but don't remember who to !.

I remember the statue in the Botanical Gardens, before they replaced it with that rubbish fountain. It was in a sorry state of repair, I recall a missing hand. I live in Upperthorpe, I've not seen any column shaped lumps of stone, but then, I've not been looking.

K.

duckweed
01-05-2010, 21:41
If you look on this site you will see loads of the monument in its original situation

http://www.picturesheffield.com/database.html

Wardsbitter
01-05-2010, 22:01
it was in Hammond Street playground - is that Upperthorpe? I'll go and look for it if anyone can give me directions.

bus man
01-05-2010, 22:17
Could i ask where that picture was taken? if anyone can identify it? maybe it could go back there if it is possible.

The photo is looking up pinsonte street towards the peace gardens/ town hall.

The church in the back ground is where the peace gardens is now .

To take a modern image of this phot you would have to stand at he top of the moor pedestrain area with debenhams to your left behind you , furnival gate is in front of you and redgates (!) is to your right

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/TRAMMANN/?action=view&current=7000642.jpg

the modern image is taken to the left of the origional the memorail would be in the middle of the white building to our right behind the bus

Wardsbitter
01-05-2010, 22:21
Anyone know where Hammond Street is? Thats where the cut up bites of the col are.

karl101
01-05-2010, 22:51
Hammond Street on Google Maps: http://tinyurl.com/29dx2oe I don't recall seeing any strange stones. Perhaps they're part of the shrubbery?

K.

Wardsbitter
01-05-2010, 23:01
Karl,

You are a gent-many thanks- my information is from a book dated 1997-I will investigate and report back. May be they have gone to that great Council store 'from whose dark bourne no traveller returns.

Cheers

hitman2010
02-05-2010, 00:17
no one cares anymore and thats a sad siuation,

Wardsbitter
02-05-2010, 00:23
Some of us do hitman [you aren't really are you?].That's been borne out by several thtreads on the Forum today.

All the best

Wards Bitter [or it was- you didn't smell it before you supped it]

hard2miss
02-05-2010, 01:19
I saw it say that they are in some council storage somewhere (the columns), its was in a book about Sheffield or in the Museum I can't remember. I sure they still have all the parts anyhow to put it back up.

Wardsbitter
02-05-2010, 01:25
Thanks hard 2 miss. Will make enquiries

Good Night All - And So To Bed As Mr Pepys Said

purdyamos
02-05-2010, 01:38
I must say I was really disappointed when they replaced its positioning in the Botanical Gardens with that thing that looks like it should have an assortment of tea cakes arranged on it. There is a trend with heritage projects to fix old plans in aspic and never change them, but I thought the Crimean monument looked just right where she ended up at that spot.

I think Endcliffe Park was the dumping ground for several old monuments, with a bit of organization it would be quite good to have a dedicated monument ground where people could see the various works gathered, like a sculpture park.

Though I think any roundabout, as suggested, is as good a place as any for a piece of historic and artistic interest. Perhaps they'd think it too distracting.

Wardsbitter
02-05-2010, 02:02
Well I can't sleep Purdyamos- I know what you say. Problem is that so much of the contemporary surroundings for these momuments have gone for various reasons that what survives is difficult to place appropriately,

RichJay
02-05-2010, 08:22
There are some more photos here...

http://public-art.shu.ac.uk/sheffield/lan49im.html

antuk
02-05-2010, 10:47
really think it should be put back in its original place...a very grand looking monument.

lazarus
02-05-2010, 11:15
It used to be at the foot of the Moor. Maybe it should go back there.

It was at Moorhead not Moorfoot Just in between where Debenhams and Stone the Crows are now. Why not site it on Fargate when The Wheel has gone.

Wardsbitter
02-05-2010, 11:28
morning all,

Thanks for some great photos and helpful comments. Good to know so many forum folk care.

Come on Wednesday !

Greybeard
02-05-2010, 12:54
Come on Wednesday !

Not 'til Wednesday ?....are you having an extended Bank Holiday weekend ? :D

algy
02-05-2010, 15:39
Seem to remember reading that there was a couple of Crimean cannons with it. Are they with monument?

They weren't from the Crimea, they were the Town Guns belonging to the Sheffield Volunteers. They were put in store at Endcliffe Hall for years, but I believe they are now at Kelham Island.

teal
03-05-2010, 19:07
the Botanical Gardens would have been a much better placve for it. It looked good there.

Captain_Scarlet
03-05-2010, 20:10
Hi Dink,

That's Moorhead - roughly where the electrical store is now- God what do they call it !

Newton Chambers used but it got flattened in the Blitz.Newton Chambers was destroyed by the Council in the 1960s. After the column and statue were moved there was a transport information booth.
There are photos of the original Sheffield trams with Newton Chambers in situ.really think it should be put back in its original place...a very grand looking monument.I agree, back on Moorhead and knock down McD and Nelson House.