View Full Version : Reports to RSPCA from neighbour

samantha22
19-03-2008, 22:41
Could anyone tell me the best way to deal with my neighbour. He keeps reporting me to the RSPCA because my dogs bark whilst im at work. The logs live in a purpose built dog kennel with a run and have fresh water daily. When i spoke with RSPCA previously they said the dogs are in great condition.

Any ways of dealing with this person as they are the nuisance neighbour!! I dont think he has anything better to do!

eeejay174
19-03-2008, 22:43
post a copy of the rspca report through his door with a gold star

Heyesey
19-03-2008, 22:46
How is he causing you any nuisance?

....the RSPCA might complain about him, if he keeps wasting their time with malicious reports. Alternatively, if his problem is actually noise, rather than the dogs' welfare, he might try the council; but unless your dogs' barking is excessively loud and/or continuous, that won't cause you any trouble either. And if they are, then it should.

cgksheff
19-03-2008, 22:46
Is really a problem to have an RSPCA visit occasionally?

How frequently has it actually happened?

My experience is that the RSPCA will never tell you who has made the complaint.

Old_Bloke
19-03-2008, 22:48
No offence, but if I had to put up with your dogs barking all day I'd be ****ed off too. Why should your neighbour have to put up with the noise?

tinkabel
19-03-2008, 23:00
No offence, but if I had to put up with your dogs barking all day I'd be ****ed off too. Why should your neighbour have to put up with the noise?

Yep i agree, i had to put up with it all last year and to say it peed me off is an understatement, thankfully the owners have rehoused the dog with someone i know who is looking after him like a king! It's not the dogs at fault, its the owners unfortunately, then again if the dogs are barking for a reason then i don't see the problem. Do they have toys and things to keep them amused? Do they get walked regularly or are they bored?

Leadhammer
19-03-2008, 23:39

What utter rubbish animals are somewhat like children they see something through the window and want to investigate.

you both say if not in your post or between the lines that the owners are to blame again i say utter rubbish, i live on massonetts with countless amounts of children barely young enough to be out on there own, i turn this around if some kid that is causing a public nuisence is causing your dog to become noisy who real falt is it the parents or the dog owners.

tbh this type of thread realy gets my goat as you all think your little darlings cause no problems to others but if set the otherway round like this its the dog owners that get the blame.

Grow UP.

Googleberry
19-03-2008, 23:39
Could anyone tell me the best way to deal with my neighbour. He keeps reporting me to the RSPCA because my dogs bark whilst im at work. The logs live in a purpose built dog kennel with a run and have fresh water daily. When i spoke with RSPCA previously they said the dogs are in great condition.

Any ways of dealing with this person as they are the nuisance neighbour!! I dont think he has anything better to do!
How appallingly selfish, inconsiderate and antisocial of you! What are the dogs for if they have to spend all day in a kennel? Do you keep them there just to annoy your neighbour? You are probably making all your neighbours' lives Hell! :loopy:

Googleberry
19-03-2008, 23:42
One further thing: Why not hang a few dozen wind-chimes outside too? And every morning at 03:00hrs, you could go outside and bang a large gong for good measure! Glad you don't live near me! (You should be too!)

barclay
19-03-2008, 23:51
Ive been woken up every morning this week at 8.00 by a neighbours dog barking whilst she is on the school run.

If it happens tomorrow im on the phone to the council.

PS I have a dog and i make sure she is quiet.

Heyesey
20-03-2008, 00:02

That does rather depend on whether they are barking all day or not. It might be only occasional; some people take great umbrage at perfectly reasonable background noise.

If it is all day, then his complaint would be valid, but the RSPCA would be the wrong people to whom to take it.

Joey
20-03-2008, 00:04
It could be worse - you could have a neighbour like mine who has 3 dogs he keeps outside all the time that bark from 2 in the morning till I set off for work at 8. But added to that he now has a cockerel which starts crowing at about 6. No I don't live in the country, I live on a housing estate. Selfish selfish people! :rant:

Old_Bloke
20-03-2008, 00:08
What utter rubbish animals are somewhat like children they see something through the window and want to investigate.

you both say if not in your post or between the lines that the owners are to blame again i say utter rubbish, i live on massonetts with countless amounts of children barely young enough to be out on there own, i turn this around if some kid that is causing a public nuisence is causing your dog to become noisy who real falt is it the parents or the dog owners.

tbh this type of thread realy gets my goat as you all think your little darlings cause no problems to others but if set the otherway round like this its the dog owners that get the blame.

Grow UP.

Did you actually read the original post? The owner stated that she has a purpose built kennel with a run. Quite what that has to do with errant children running around blocks of maisonettes is beyond me.

If the dogs aren't capable of being left alone all day because they get bored or, as you suggest, they see things they want to investigate, then it's up to the owner to take responsibility and accept that it's not appropriate to keep dogs in that situation. It's called having a bit of respect for your neighbours.

And for what it's worth, I don't have any "little darlings", but if I did, they'd be well behaved. Don't tar everybody with the same brush - it's not that hard to bring children up well if the parents give a damn. You can see evidence of this if you look around instead of just focusing on those families where the parents don't care.

Old_Bloke
20-03-2008, 00:09
That does rather depend on whether they are barking all day or not. It might be only occasional; some people take great umbrage at perfectly reasonable background noise.

If it is all day, then his complaint would be valid, but the RSPCA would be the wrong people to whom to take it.

Agreed - it's not realistic to expect them to be quiet all day.

SYorksDeano
20-03-2008, 00:13
If the dogs aren't capable of being left alone all day because they get bored

Wish my dog would get bored...............I look in my back garden and think she is digging the new channel tunnel link.

Which is quite funny cos if YOU bury anything she is not bothered..........my socks are!!!!!!!!

pennypie
20-03-2008, 00:37
My my!!! What a reaction, dogs bark - end of. The dog is obviously well looked after, and it gets bored during the day, so what. At least its not the middle of the night, and at least it is looked after in the evenings, like the majority of other dogs, unless they are owned by some lucky so and so who for whatever reason doesn't work. Most people are out and about during the day anyway, apart from the few working shifts and if you do then buy some earplugs.

purdyamos
20-03-2008, 00:41
...Most people are out and about during the day anyway...

...She typed wistfully... :D

pennypie
20-03-2008, 00:47

I would just like to point out that I had a three hour nap this afternoon!!!! Heaven!!!!:hihi::hihi:

lolliew
20-03-2008, 07:39
to the OP. I live next door to a dog that literally barks all day (the wind blows it barks, you open the curtains it barks, you look at it - do you get the picture?).

My daughter aged 8 suffers from migraines and everytime she has one and needs the sleep the dog barks and keeps her awake - how is this ok?

I have complained to the owners who have the same attitude as you. I have called the RSPCA who again say that all he needs by law is shelter and water and food.

Why should i have to put up with thier selfishness which completely affects my life so that they can have a dog?

I am going to start to phone them everytime i cant stand it any longer and hopefully they will get the message that i have had enough.

puddinburner
20-03-2008, 07:50
It could be worse - you could have a neighbour like mine who has 3 dogs he keeps outside all the time that bark from 2 in the morning till I set off for work at 8. But added to that he now has a cockerel which starts crowing at about 6. No I don't live in the country, I live on a housing estate. Selfish selfish people! :rant:

:oI thought there was some sort of law which say's you can't keep a cockrel in a housing estate garden, I would get in touch with council over this. As for dogs barking....unfortunately, that's what thay do!!!! especially if left alone all day, it's they're way of trying to contact the rest of the pack...which is you, but your at work. Bark, howl how annoying! The dogs may be in great condition but they only do whats natural and you can't stop them barking.

We had same prob with a bloke two doors down he went to work the dogs started barking and howling, we got double glazing which solved the problem.

Unfortunately, the RSPCA have a duty to investigate every report just in case an animals suffering but they do not have much power when it comes to noise, this would be a local authority issue, poss police for disturbing peace etc.

I've always said I would find my dog a damn good home, if ever I had to leave her for more than a couple of hours each day.
As I feel it's unfair on the dog if you have to leave them all day and she did'nt get her daily hours walk, cos I was too knackered to be bothered.

boyfriday
20-03-2008, 08:04

..your time will come Purdy! :D :D

Twiglet
20-03-2008, 08:38
to the OP. I live next door to a dog that literally barks all day (the wind blows it barks, you open the curtains it barks, you look at it - do you get the picture?).

My daughter aged 8 suffers from migraines and everytime she has one and needs the sleep the dog barks and keeps her awake - how is this ok?

I have complained to the owners who have the same attitude as you. I have called the RSPCA who again say that all he needs by law is shelter and water and food.

Why should i have to put up with thier selfishness which completely affects my life so that they can have a dog?

I am going to start to phone them everytime i cant stand it any longer and hopefully they will get the message that i have had enough.

You need to phone the council not the RSPCA. The dog isn't being mistreated, but it's causing a noise nuisance which comes under environmental health. They'll probably ask you to keep a noise diary and/or bring out some recording equipment (if they have any available :rolleyes:).

lolliew
20-03-2008, 08:41
You need to phone the council not the RSPCA. The dog isn't being mistreated, but it's causing a noise nuisance which comes under environmental health. They'll probably ask you to keep a noise diary and/or bring out some recording equipment (if they have any available :rolleyes:).

i have done - and so are a few other neighbours its just a case of waiting - but when the kids are ill or i even want to use my garden it is a real problem :rant:

thanks for the advice x

stewpot54
20-03-2008, 08:48
Your dog YOUR responsibility.Can you give me one good reason why other people have to listen to your dog barking non stop all day/and thats what they do.
I have had to put up with the same racket day in and day out.I would love to open my windows or sit out in my garden and the only way I get a bit of peace is using earplugs.Why should I have to do that just because you choose to have a dog/yes you go out to work all day and dont give a damn about the aggro the dog causes.
I bet you would soon be on the phone to the police if your neighbours played loud music nonstop.
I think dog owners are incredibly selfish and get so angry if any one dares criticise.
One of my neighbour's has just started barking and that will go on ALL DAY.
The enviromental health are totally useless.They appease you by asking you to fill in a diary.I have written out more diaries than Samuel Pepys and still nothing ever gets done.

willman
20-03-2008, 08:58
Could we just bear in mind that the op has asked for "advice" not verbal abuse.

Mathom
20-03-2008, 09:01
What's all this tripe about "dogs bark, get over it"? You can TRAIN a dog you know! Mind you, the kind of people who don't give a damn about whether their dog is barking while they're out probably also don't give a damn if the dog is correctly trained. My parents had a rescue dog and even he was able to be trained - he only barked if anyone came to the door. If a dog is barking otherwise he is poorly trained.

Tess
20-03-2008, 09:22
My dog goes mental when the postie comes, but the rest of the time hes fast asleep on one of the beds. If the dogs are actually that loud, is there no way you could put them inside the house so it will be a bit quieter for neighbours?

pinklady
20-03-2008, 09:36
Could you imagine living next door to constant 'woof woof woof woof woof', It'd drive me to distraction

stewpot54
20-03-2008, 09:37

Advice?Get rid of the dog unless you can take it to work.Problem solved!!!!

shazzamattazza
20-03-2008, 09:41
where I lived before the neighbours next door had a dog that barked, didn't bother us as we were out in the day, but the other neighbours decided to report it.
When nothing happened they kept giving the dog bits of meat, only the owner didn't know it had laxatives in it, apparently they got rid of the dog not long after because it was making a mess in the house.
Whilst I didn't and still don't agree with what they did it was a means to an end. Apparently where it was rehomed it had people around it all the time and never barked as much.
Basically do not have a dog if you cannot give it the attention it deserves.

waldershelf
20-03-2008, 09:44

The answer is very simple, get rid of the dog! You will get no more visits from the RSPCA, you will no longer p*ss off your neighbours and your poor neglected dog wont be left on its own for hours on end pining for its pack (you) thats abandoned it.

Miss_S_83
20-03-2008, 10:02
How is he causing you any nuisance?

....the RSPCA might complain about him, if he keeps wasting their time with malicious reports. Alternatively, if his problem is actually noise, rather than the dogs' welfare, he might try the council; but unless your dogs' barking is excessively loud and/or continuous, that won't cause you any trouble either. And if they are, then it should.

I should imagine he is quite a nuisance, would you like someone constantly reporting you, causing you stress/ inconveneince for no good reason?

Miss_S_83
20-03-2008, 10:02
The answer is very simple, get rid of the dog! You will get no more visits from the RSPCA, you will no longer p*ss off your neighbours and your poor neglected dog wont be left on its own for hours on end pining for its pack (you) thats abandoned it.

So she should give up her well-cared for dog as she has to go and earn a living?!

Heyesey
20-03-2008, 10:03
So she should give up her well-cared for dog as she has to go and earn a living?!

A dog which is left alone all day is not well-cared-for. Dogs require company.

Heyesey
20-03-2008, 10:03
I should imagine he is quite a nuisance, would you like someone constantly reporting you, causing you stress/ inconveneince for no good reason?

Me being reported does not cause me stress and inconvenience, unless the reports are justified and the authorities come after me on them.

lyndix
20-03-2008, 10:06

I personally wouldn`t keep my pet outdoors, but different people have different views on this.
But if I was in this situation I would be trying to find out why the dog is barking. He must be barking for a reason, bored, lonely, hungry, hyper, excited, prowlers? Theres always a reason. Dogs rarely bark for no reason.
On the other side of the fence, if I had neighbours with a dog that was kept outside and barked all day, I wouldn`t be happy but I also wouldn`t report them to anybody, I`d go round and speak to them about it and give them chance to find out why the dogs unsettled.

Miss_S_83
20-03-2008, 10:06
Me being reported does not cause me stress and inconvenience, unless the reports are justified and the authorities come after me on them.

Well I am sorry but it would p*ss me right off, if I knew I was doing no wrong.

I agree it can be annoying to listen to it, but it's hardly justified reporting her to the RSPCA.

wolfstalin
20-03-2008, 10:07

I think Willman the advice would be to get rid of the dogs, I'm sorry my previous post was too subtle a message.

wolfstalin
20-03-2008, 10:16
My dog goes mental when the postie comes, but the rest of the time hes fast asleep on one of the beds. If the dogs are actually that loud, is there no way you could put them inside the house so it will be a bit quieter for neighbours?

There's been studies done on why dogs worldwide go for posties and as I remember its something to do with the vast number of human scents they carry around.

Years ago I had a dog that would do back-flips to try to get at any postie, but would either ignore everyone else or try to give then a bath.

So I'd say that I wouldn't criticize anyone who's dog barked at the postman but I have to agree with other posters here that these dogs are clearly untrained and the owner if really wanting to accept advice should not try to blame her neighbor for complaining about unacceptable behaviored and train her dogs properly in the first place.

c jade
20-03-2008, 10:30

Can we do that with the kids as well then :lol:

Don_Kiddick
20-03-2008, 10:31

Advice: Get Victoria Stillwell (http://www.victoriastilwell.com/press/c4chat.htm) in & get the dog trained.

It won't take a couple of days then you, your neighbour and most importantly, your dog will be happy.

Continuous barking is not a sign of boredom - it's unhappiness at your abscence.

The dog is suffering psychologically. Unfortunately the RSPCA don't take this into account.

Train the dog - you know it makes sense! :thumbsup:

WhiteHawk
20-03-2008, 10:41
Firstly, if I had to put up with a dog barking all day I would not be happy at all. Not really a lot that can be done about it unfortunately though.

Secondly, all those who are saying you shouldn't leave your dogs alone all day, I don't agree with that at all. What you're basically saying there is, if you work, you shouldn't have a dog :huh:

My 2 dogs are kept in the house all day and they are left alone all day, every day. My Mum insists on leaving the radio on all day, I don't understand that one myself.......

Just because everyone in the house works doesn't mean we shouldn't be allowed to have dogs.

samantha22
20-03-2008, 13:27

Poor neglected dog!!! Before you state a load of crap could you pelase get your facts right as i said i had dog-S!!!!!

samantha22
20-03-2008, 13:37
Right ok, thank you to those who have given me good advise , but to those who have said get rid of the dogs- you can shove your advice. The dogs are not mistreated, are you telling me that the only people that can keep dogs are the people that do not work all day. So would it be better then if i stayed at home all day, claimed all the bebefits that i could and be a scrounger all my life. And im sorry but for the saddos that keep a diary when the dog barks or keeps a tape running so you can hear the dog barking i think you are very very sad and you really do need to get out more. What is best for the dogs, stuck in the house, having to hold there wee. or out in the fresh air in a very expensive dog kennel with a house and a run and fresh water and food. i think some of the people on here need to grow up, and get there facts right before they speak. For everyone that has said get rid of the poor neglected dog - there is 2 dogs!!! And for everyone that has said the dogs are barking allday, they are not - they bark when dogs bark at them i.e. the person who has complained, his dog barks , so that makes my dog bark. I think he is deaf when his dog barks and he can only hear mine. He doesnt work, stays at home all day and doesnt have anything better to do! The dogs maybe bored during the day but they have dog toys and they have each other- they have walks in the morning and they have time, attention and walks at night time. I dont use my dogs as guard dogs, they arent just toys that you can throw away they are living things. I cant believe that people can jsut state " get rid of them" . If you dont have anything good to say then dont say it at all, keep all the crap to yourselves.

samantha22
20-03-2008, 13:40
Advice?Get rid of the dog unless you can take it to work.Problem solved!!!!

In what work place can you take your dog to work, for god sake what a load of crap

samantha22
20-03-2008, 13:42
A dog which is left alone all day is not well-cared-for. Dogs require company.

And you have no right to say my dog is not well cared for, i bet my dog has better meals and more baths than you do, i dont know whow you have the right to say someones dog is not cared for when you have not even seen it

Mrs H Solo
20-03-2008, 13:43

I'm with you on this one mate! I have had to put up with neighbours with noisy and messy dogs and it's extremely annoying.

Tess
20-03-2008, 13:52
In what work place can you take your dog to work, for god sake what a load of crap

Sad but true - my dog use to go to work with my dad and hes a solicitor with quite a posh office. he even made the website!

http://www.tofields.co.uk/barney.htm

He took him because if he didnt he would have had to get rid of him because he would have been in the house 9am-7.30pm by himself. My dad even managed to find time to walk him during his lunch break.

only problem with that is that the secretaries liked him too much and now hes a fat dog!

lolliew
20-03-2008, 14:16
You came on here and asked for advice from the forum on how to stop getting visits from the rspca and how to stop your neighbour reporting you.

The best advice is either see your neighbour and explain that you need to work and that the dogs are cared for and does he have any suggestions for you. You never know if he is concerned enough about your dogs to report them he might have a good suggestion.

OR

Find some way to stop them barking all the time as this is what he is reporting you for.

And i am no saddo that keeps a diary on dog barking - i am a parent that finds it very difficult to understand why someone lets thier dog bark all day and cause problems for other people and does not give a s***e and then has the nerve to say that someone else has the problem.

You would be the first to complain if he caused you noise nuisance through the night and told you to buy ear plugs.

waddy
20-03-2008, 14:18
Have you had any other complaints from other neighbours?.Do they really bark all day? doubt it !!!I have a dog also but I only do a few hours work mornings but he is inside usually asleep when I get in.He does bark when he hears the door and if he sees a cat through the french doors this drives him nuts:hihi:I live in a semi and both my neighbours have dogs don't hear the next doors dog but the house not joined ,their dog constantly yaps and the other neighbours have reported them.He went round to have a word and was met with abuse.good luck.

sherakapod
20-03-2008, 14:20
could you manage to pay for a dog walker whilst you are out?
then if they need some exercise, or are just bored they can have the chance of a break in their day. I know htere are a few on this forum who professionally care for dogs whilst the owner is at work.
kind regards

sue

irenewilde
20-03-2008, 14:20
The dogs are not mistreated, are you telling me that the only people that can keep dogs are the people that do not work all day. And for everyone that has said the dogs are barking allday, they are not - they bark when dogs bark at them i.e. the person who has complained, his dog barks , so that makes my dog bark. I think he is deaf when his dog barks and he can only hear mine. He doesnt work, stays at home all day and doesnt have anything better to do!

Can I ask how you know they're not barking all day if you're not there? As others have said he needs to get on to the 'noise' people at the council, not the RSPCA & maybe you'll find out if there's a genuine problem. In all fairness dogs barking can be very, very annoying. There's a dog in the next garden to us which barks incessantly every time they let it out. Occasionally they will shout at it to shut up but it doesn't make any difference. And yes, we have double glazing - it doesn't help.

waddy
20-03-2008, 14:35
could you manage to pay for a dog walker whilst you are out?
then if they need some exercise, or are just bored they can have the chance of a break in their day. I know htere are a few on this forum who professionally care for dogs whilst the owner is at work.
kind regards

sueGreat idea!!

Mod_Man
20-03-2008, 14:42
Have you been to see the neighbour to ask how bad he considers the problem to be? You seem pretty arrogant about a problem you seem to be causing. I would at least try having a word with the neighbour and seeing if you can't find some happy medium. To just claim he is harassing you is wrong, how do you know what your dog gets up to, you're at work aren't you.

undz
20-03-2008, 15:05
I must say I don't agree with the Original poster at all. I'd be doing my nut if a dog was barking all day when she was at work. How inconsiderate... Oh HE'S A NUISUINCE neighbour? Look at yourself first mate :P

undz
20-03-2008, 15:07
So glad I don't live next to you...

Witham
20-03-2008, 15:50
It seems to me that some people own a multitude of dogs for the single purpose of eliciting complaints from neighbours. For myself I can't imagine what function is served by having dogs running around your yard. The whole phenomenon is a mystery to me. Dogs are animals and will behave as such, and that pretty much exhausts what any rational man can say about them.

Many dog owners are stupified by the fact that many people are not as enamoured of dogs are they are. Some people - such as myself - look at a dog and see nothing but a creature of appalling stupidity and abject uselessness.

The fact that these animals also seem happy to bark endlessly merely throws a further spotlight upon their utter imbecility.

foxforcefive
20-03-2008, 16:11

It might be a good idea to speak with your neighbour to establish how often the dogs are barking, i'd ask other neighbours as well to get a realistic answer.
If they are barking all the time there are gadgets you can buy to stop them constantly barking.
If it's just a case of barking when disturbed, ie by a cat, postman, visitor, other dogs barking, you may be able to get someone from the RSPCA to explain to your neightbour that this is normal behaviour.
Have you ever thought that your neighbour may be genuinely concerned for the dogs welfare?
It really would be the best thing if you could sort this out amicably.

stewpot54
20-03-2008, 16:32
Right ok, thank you to those who have given me good advise , but to those who have said get rid of the dogs- you can shove your advice. The dogs are not mistreated, are you telling me that the only people that can keep dogs are the people that do not work all day. So would it be better then if i stayed at home all day, claimed all the bebefits that i could and be a scrounger all my life. And im sorry but for the saddos that keep a diary when the dog barks or keeps a tape running so you can hear the dog barking i think you are very very sad and you really do need to get out more. What is best for the dogs, stuck in the house, having to hold there wee. or out in the fresh air in a very expensive dog kennel with a house and a run and fresh water and food. i think some of the people on here need to grow up, and get there facts right before they speak. For everyone that has said get rid of the poor neglected dog - there is 2 dogs!!! And for everyone that has said the dogs are barking allday, they are not - they bark when dogs bark at them i.e. the person who has complained, his dog barks , so that makes my dog bark. I think he is deaf when his dog barks and he can only hear mine. He doesnt work, stays at home all day and doesnt have anything better to do! The dogs maybe bored during the day but they have dog toys and they have each other- they have walks in the morning and they have time, attention and walks at night time. I dont use my dogs as guard dogs, they arent just toys that you can throw away they are living things. I cant believe that people can jsut state " get rid of them" . If you dont have anything good to say then dont say it at all, keep all the crap to yourselves.

So if we dont agree with you we are all sad b........s OBVIOUSLY it.s all about you and your dogS/never mind the neighbour who has the right to peace in her/his own home.
I thought you were at work all day so how come you know when the dogs bark.What the hell have they cotributed that their needs come before a tax paying householder.
What advice did you expect/serve an ASBO on the neighbour.Why dont you move house and take your noisy dogs with you.

willman
20-03-2008, 16:35
As this has descended to abuse of the op again i'll close it at this point.