View Full Version : See for miles from from Ringinglow / Hallam

Ousetunes
10-03-2005, 10:20
Before you all shout at me 'we've had this thread before' I ask for your patience.

In The Star a week or two back, there was a feature on what landmarks could be seen on a clear day from the Ringinglow / Hallam area of Sheffield. A farmer from Fulwood Head Farm, along with some Rotary Club members have built a stone plateau and on top there is a metal disc which describes what you can see and precisely where, should the weather be nice.

From the photograph in the now blue-binned paper, it looks like the pile of stones, or plateau, is situated around the Fulwood Lane area possibly near Fulwood Head Farm. The big question is, does anyone know exactly where it is? Is it a five minute walk from Fulwood Lane, higher up towards Ringinglow, or what?

This is a subject which continues to really interest me. The article stated that in perfect conditions you can see seven power stations, Lincoln Cathedral, Humber Bridge (sometimes without binoculars) and incredibly, York Minster.

cgksheff
10-03-2005, 10:41
Going by one of the photos on the Sheffield Rotary site (http://www.flexi-print.co.uk/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/millhouse/sheffieldrotary/news?searchstring=**SINGLEWEB**&seldisp=19) it looks like it is beside the road (Fulwood Lane).

Ousetunes
10-03-2005, 15:14
Thanks for the link - it gives me a pretty good idea as to its whereabouts.

cgksheff
10-03-2005, 16:17
I had a look this afternoon and it is on a triangle of grass at the junction with Greenhouse Lane (which is the first right after you come up out of Clough Hollow). I'll put a map up later.

cgksheff
10-03-2005, 21:43
OK, here is (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/cgksheff/Sheffield%20Forum/Rotaryviewfinderlocation01.jpg) a location map.

LoopyLou
10-03-2005, 21:45
Is that your doggie?? he/she's lovely:)

Jayne
10-03-2005, 22:29
i found that the other day when i ran up there. I also found lots of snow that got very deep and stopped my running!

Draggletail
11-03-2005, 00:39
Originally posted by cgksheff
OK, here is (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/cgksheff/Sheffield%20Forum/Rotaryviewfinderlocation01.jpg) a location map.
Thanks for the map cgk - I regularly take our dog up to the oxstones nearby, so I will call and have at the rotary site. Hadn't heard anything about it until now :thumbsup:

Ousetunes
11-03-2005, 09:52
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I have now found the exact location of this - plateau? - (just what DO we call it) and shall be spending many an hour up there come summer, or whenever we have a decent day's weather!

Greybeard
11-03-2005, 11:21
Originally posted by Ousetunes
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I have now found the exact location of this - plateau? - (just what DO we call it) and shall be spending many an hour up there come summer, or whenever we have a decent day's weather!

You will probably find the best time for long distance viewing is in the spring/autumn during the 2 hours before sunset for views to the north and east, and the 2 hours after sunrise for views to the south and west. In summer there is often a heat haze to spoil the view.

Good weather conditions help too, with the best visibility just after a cold front has gone through. Just my experience from living at a similar altitude to the Rotary Club site....we're on the 1200ft (360m) countour above Bradfield.

Power station cooling towers are useful markers and there's a map of them here....

http://www.electricity.org.uk/uk_map.html

Be interesting if you could do a follow-up with what you can see from there, - I suspect you'll need a good naval telescope to see York Minster :)

Ousetunes
11-03-2005, 11:28
I shall endeavour to keep anyone interested in this thread informed.

Only, as I now wait for good viewing weather, expect this thread to lie dormant for a month or two!

nick2
11-03-2005, 11:30
I went on a school trip to a power station once, it was the best school trip I ever went on, after the sewage works at Meadowhall, that was realy good.

Herbert
11-03-2005, 12:57
Nice thread-think i know where it is will have a looke this weekend. Cant believe this thread hasnt been hi-jacked by the anti hallam post code envy brigade stating their anger at not having a view post.;)

Modesty
11-03-2005, 13:23
Originally posted by Herbert
anti hallam post code envy brigade post.;)

That made me chuckle:P

Only 43 posts and you already know how this forum works.

Ousetunes
14-03-2005, 11:53
Right, yesterday I took myself and a pair of binoculars up to Fulwood Lane and had a good look to see what I could see (see, see).

Lincoln Cathedral is very easy to see, even without the binoculars. All you have to do is find Norton Water Tower and it's in line with that! The power stations are also obvious.

I'm not sure if I found Humber Bridge - I thought I had, just the tops of the towers visible. And I think I found another water tower just south of York on the A19.

What's amazing is how the weather affects the view. Suddenly, sunlight will make a particular area light up; next, something you spotted earlier disappears.

It's fabulous - I'll be back up there soon - minus the kids!

Dabbers
21-03-2005, 12:20
When I was a little boy, I remember Mr Wragg the verger, telling people that one could see the sea from the top of Fulwood church.

Nonsense, but quite sweet in a way. Perhaps in those days you could!

bendus2
17-08-2006, 21:43
Any body been up this year ?? I will definitely give it a try this weekend.

irenewilde
18-08-2006, 17:16
Any body been up this year ?? I will definitely give it a try this weekend.

Last week. We saw it for the first time, it's good fun. We wished we'd taken binoculars with us - make sure you do.

Alastair
01-09-2007, 13:45
Before you all shout at me 'we've had this thread before' I ask for your patience.

In The Star a week or two back, there was a feature on what landmarks could be seen on a clear day from the Ringinglow / Hallam area of Sheffield. A farmer from Fulwood Head Farm, along with some Rotary Club members have built a stone plateau and on top there is a metal disc which describes what you can see and precisely where, should the weather be nice.

From the photograph in the now blue-binned paper, it looks like the pile of stones, or plateau, is situated around the Fulwood Lane area possibly near Fulwood Head Farm. The big question is, does anyone know exactly where it is? Is it a five minute walk from Fulwood Lane, higher up towards Ringinglow, or what?

This is a subject which continues to really interest me. The article stated that in perfect conditions you can see seven power stations, Lincoln Cathedral, Humber Bridge (sometimes without binoculars) and incredibly, York Minster.

I was up there today and remembered to take my binoculars. It's such a clear day that Lincoln Cathedral is visible, even without the binoculars once I'd located it. That's 43 miles away.

I couldn't see the Humber Bridge (52 miles)

Ousetunes
01-09-2007, 14:51
I couldn't see the Humber Bridge (52 miles)

I've struggled to locate Humber Bridge yet my wife insists she's seen the tops of the towers.

Lincoln Cathedral is easily visible, even from Hallam School and without the binoculars. The furthest I can see is the White Horse at Kilburn - that's some distance away!

What I'm surprised I can't locate is York Minster and the M62 flyover near Howden, on the way to Goole.

Longcol
01-09-2007, 15:13
I've struggled to locate Humber Bridge yet my wife insists she's seen the tops of the towers.

Lincoln Cathedral is easily visible, even from Hallam School and without the binoculars. The furthest I can see is the White Horse at Kilburn - that's some distance away!

What I'm surprised I can't locate is York Minster and the M62 flyover near Howden, on the way to Goole.

Perhaps it's because Lincoln Cathedral is on top of a hill whereas the York Minister, M62 Flyover & Humber Bridge all start pretty much at sea level - plus York and the bridge are a fair bit further from Sheffield than Lincoln.

snout
16-12-2008, 14:40
anybody seen York Minister or the Humber Bridge yet? I thought I could see the tops of Humber Bridge last week but it might have been wishful thinking.

Ousetunes
16-12-2008, 14:47
You've revived an old thread here!

The White Horse at Kilburn, which is further than York is visible and when the light allows, I'm fairly sure Humber Bridge is visible. In fact, I think you can see the latter from the Sportsman pub at Hallam (albeit, the tops of the towers).

I wonder if York Minster lies too low to be seen?

Maybe I should invest in some decent binoculars and set aside a good hour to nail precisely what can and cannot be seen from up here.

JenC
16-12-2008, 15:27

Well, as far as I'm aware on a clear day you can see York Minster from Lincoln Cathedral (correct me if I'm wrong), so in theory it should be able to be seen from Sheffield, shouldn't it?

six45ive
16-12-2008, 15:30
You've revived an old thread here!

The White Horse at Kilburn, which is further than York is visible and when the light allows, I'm fairly sure Humber Bridge is visible. In fact, I think you can see the latter from the Sportsman pub at Hallam (albeit, the tops of the towers).

Maybe I should invest in some decent binoculars and set aside a good hour to nail precisely what can and cannot be seen from up here.

These photos are taken from the site of your original post although it was a little hazy on the summer's day I took it but you can still see the power stations in the distance. Click on the photo to view large.
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/12809720
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/12809466

Playpen
16-12-2008, 15:42
Anyone got a working link for the Power Station map on the first page?

Would like to know which is which next time I'm walking the dog up around Edgemount.

Ousetunes
16-12-2008, 15:59
Thanks for the pictures six45ive.

I wonder if the power station in the top picture is Drax?

In the Yorkshire region, you can see (from left to right) Ferrybridge (8 cooling towers), Eggborough (also 8 cooling towers although from our vantage point possibly only 4 are visible with the other 4 hidden behind them) and then Drax (two circular clusters of 4 cooling towers).

These power stations are approximately 4 miles apart from each other. They lie just the other side of the M62 (well, Eggborough and Drax do).

Playpen
16-12-2008, 16:30
Thanks Ousetunes, but last time I was out there I'm sure I saw 6 or so power stations (or at least clusters of cooling towers), presumably with the last 3 further south. The most southerly ones I can sometimes see on my drive to/from work on the Owler Bar/Stony Ridge road.

metalman
16-12-2008, 17:59
This thread (http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=240526) tells you all you need to know about the power stations you can see.

Sadly though the pictures seem to have been taken away now.

six45ive
16-12-2008, 18:13
Thanks for the pictures six45ive.

I wonder if the power station in the top picture is Drax?

Yes I agree.
I think Drax is much further north. I think it's probably Ferrybridge but I'm not certain.

SV500
16-12-2008, 21:29
everytime i go over grenoside i have a look for the cooling towers on the horizon,
from the emley moor tx,turn to the right .. ferrybridge .. eggbrough .. drax (both sort of next to each other) barnby dun,
turn futher to the right .. west burton .. cottom .. upper marnham (iirc)

i know from google earth where the humber bridge should be .. but ive yet to see it even on a good day (maybe im not shure what it looks like ?)

JJ..

vinceb
17-12-2008, 12:27
Yes I agree.
I think Drax is much further north. I think it's probably Ferrybridge but I'm not certain.

Ferrybridge has eight towers (according to wikipedia) but I'm pretty sure I can see eleven distinctly in the photo, and the layout matches the two circles of six towers at Drax.

Vince

Yog Sothoth
17-12-2008, 12:38
When me and The White Rose were courting, I used to go sit in the field at the top of the hill near my home in Pudsey (near Leeds), and I could see Emley Moor TV mast. She used to be able to see it from Ringinglow too. It was the only thing we could both see at the same time. Kind of romantic, I thought.

HallamGirl
17-12-2008, 13:28
Anyone got a working link for the Power Station map on the first page?

Would like to know which is which next time I'm walking the dog up around Edgemount.

It's not the best map I've ever seen, but at least this link http://www.ukqaa.org.uk/PowerStation.html shows where the power stations are.

Very interesting thread - I only live a few mins away from this location but had never heard of it before, or the ability to see so far in good conditions. Like other posters, I will enjoy walking up there with a pair of binoculars next year when there is good visibility (and it's a bit warmer !!).

FORE
18-03-2012, 11:06
Your contributions are interesting. Im off now to view those visible from Hillsborough golf course when approaching the 8th green :)

AndrewC
18-03-2012, 13:03
I know this is an old thread bumped by the poster above, but since it's back now, I'm pretty confident me and my friends did manage to spot York Minster last summer; another group there at the time agreed with us. It was only really a hazy York-Minster coloured blob! albeit in just the right direction.

We couldn't see the Humber Bridge..

HeadingNorth
18-03-2012, 13:16
Well, as far as I'm aware on a clear day you can see York Minster from Lincoln Cathedral (correct me if I'm wrong), so in theory it should be able to be seen from Sheffield, shouldn't it?

As a geometric problem in theory, that doesn't necessarily follow. If the top of Lincoln Cathedral is higher than the standpoint in Ringinglow, then York Minster would be visible from the former but not the latter.

In the real world, I don't know which of the two is the higher point. The hill on which Lincoln Cathedral is built is not nearly as high as Ringinglow; but it's a tall building.

mike142sl
18-03-2012, 19:02
As a geometric problem in theory, that doesn't necessarily follow. If the top of Lincoln Cathedral is higher than the standpoint in Ringinglow, then York Minster would be visible from the former but not the latter.

In the real world, I don't know which of the two is the higher point. The hill on which Lincoln Cathedral is built is not nearly as high as Ringinglow; but it's a tall building.The top of Lincoln Cathedral is 148m above sea level (the height you can get to to look out towards York will be quite a few metres lower of course) The best view of all this area from Ringinglowe is from Rud Hill which is 425m ASL, although if you are just sitting in the car the lay bye is 414m ASL, so a good 260m higher than Lincoln Cathedral (Which incidentally you can also see from Rud Hill).

Runningman
19-03-2012, 22:04
Where exactly is Rud Hill please ?

Ousetunes
19-03-2012, 22:09
Off Fulwood Lane which runs from the roundhouse at Ringinglow down towards Redmires.

You will see a gate and a path which leads up to some green box which I think is owned by Yorkshire Water. Travelling towards Redmires it is on your left right at the very end just before a hairpin bend.

There is a large private gateway prior to this, leading to a farm.

Hope this helps!

FORE
19-03-2012, 22:43
These photos are taken from the site of your original post although it was a little hazy on the summer's day I took it but you can still see the power stations in the distance. Click on the photo to view large.
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/12809720
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/12809466

I would also say the single one (720 pic) is drax. If you look at the foreground, it is lined up past that monument or whatever at rawmarsh and to the right is Kepples. Ferrybridge is more to the north, whereas drax is NE.

The second picture I believe shows West Burton at Gainsboro' and Cottam to the right, both on the Trent.

Runningman
20-03-2012, 08:36
Good morning and thanks for your reply

Will make an effort to go up there when the weather appears favourable for looking east.

Off Fulwood Lane which runs from the roundhouse at Ringinglow down towards Redmires.

You will see a gate and a path which leads up to some green box which I think is owned by Yorkshire Water. Travelling towards Redmires it is on your left right at the very end just before a hairpin bend.

There is a large private gateway prior to this, leading to a farm.

Hope this helps!

DUFFEMS
20-03-2012, 08:39
Good morning and thanks for your reply

Will make an effort to go up there when the weather appears favourable for looking east.

You need a cold clear day rather than a warm day because the heat haze blocks out the clarity.

sheffield654
20-03-2012, 09:07
You need a cold clear day rather than a warm day because the heat haze blocks out the clarity.

You need a day like today.

mike142sl
20-03-2012, 10:17

You can park here (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=sheffield&hl=en&ll=53.345927,-1.58996&spn=0.001636,0.003449&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=13.283564,28.256836&hnear=Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.345967,-1.59045&panoid=4_wvepwTIugX0ujhSTpcBg&cbp=12,333.86,,0,7)and take the gate on the left. Rudd Hill is the horizon and there are remains of some small building on the summit. The path from here can get a bit muddy though.

The other alternative is the path that Ousetunes has suggested here (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=sheffield&hl=en&ll=53.35728,-1.585094&spn=0.003298,0.006899&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=13.283564,28.256836&hnear=Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.35728,-1.585094&panoid=_NpaMTf1pUMzr9hsXRCD5w&cbp=12,259.41,,0,3.64)
Hope these links work?

Ousetunes
20-03-2012, 11:01
Just returned from a walk up Rud Hill.

The fields are very firm, proof of the recent lack of rain. I only wore trainers but otherwise boots are a must-have!

I took the old binoculars but it's simply too hazy this morning for decent view spotting. Humber Bridge was very difficult to make out although I believe I did manage to find it. Just two very distant, hazy 'sticks'!

Lincoln Cathedral, usually easy to find with the naked eye proved even more difficult.

But the light can change so rapidly and all of a sudden these land marks can appear. A return on a clear evening is required.

actionman
20-03-2012, 16:31
i know you can get a good view from the top of delf rd/ kirk edge rd area and along mortimer rd. i know you can see loads of power stations and emily moor mast quite easily. does any expert on this area know what else is on the horizon?? :thumbsup:

mike142sl
21-03-2012, 09:38
i know you can get a good view from the top of delf rd/ kirk edge rd area and along mortimer rd. i know you can see loads of power stations and emily moor mast quite easily. does any expert on this area know what else is on the horizon?? :thumbsup::hihi: Think you mean Emley Moor?

Oingo
31-07-2012, 21:59
York Minister is indeed visible from up around Ringinglow.

Last night we saw Emley Moor Tower, the top of the two towers of the Humber Bridge (plus cables) and Lincoln Cathedral from the Rotary Club Vantage Point. We also saw the middle (lantern) tower of York Minster but not the two end towers or the main lower structure owing to their being restricted visibility - structures in the way - between the vantage point and York.

From a little way away, near Ringinglow, we saw the top of the Chimney at Kegworth and York Minster with both lantern tower and end towers (plus some of the main structure) visible. This was after many years of speculating as to where it actually was in relation to where we were! York Minster is a difficult one to locate. It was viewing York Minster from here that made us sure that what we saw from the Rotary Club Vantage Point is indeed York Minster.

All are visible using 10x binoculars, but we had the benefit of a 30X scope too which helped to 100% confirmed that we were looking at York Minster.

wednesday1
31-07-2012, 22:02
On a clear day a few years ago, I managed to discern the Eiffel Tower, difficuilt to see much further than this though.

Ousetunes
31-07-2012, 23:15
Oingo - Next time you plan on going up Ringinglow with the old binoculars, I'd truly appreciate it if you PM'd me and allow me to join you for ten minutes.

I would love to be able to see York Minster from up (t)here.

Any joy on the M62 at Goole?

Oingo
01-08-2012, 08:40
Hi Ousetunes, will do. Might not be for a little while. Will PM you my number when I have made 5 posts.

I have a few photos of York Minster taken using the telescope and my blackberry! They cam out reasonably well. Will try and link them here at some point.

I haven't seen the M62 at Goole - sounds like a challenge! I read somewhere that you might be able to see the Kilburn White Horse but thing you would have to be pretty far east in Sheffield to see that - and it is a huge distance away (70 miles) so I am really unsure if it would be visible.

Colin Foster
01-08-2012, 16:45
You can only see six power stations now, since High Marnham (the southernmost one) was demolished a couple of weeks ago. Soon there'll only be five when the finish demolishing Thorpe Marsh - two of the six towers have gone this year already.

Colin Foster
01-08-2012, 16:47
From a little way away, near Ringinglow, we saw the top of the Chimney at Kegworth

Is that Ratcliffe on Soar?

GodStar
01-08-2012, 16:59
On a clear day a few years ago, I managed to discern the Eiffel Tower, difficuilt to see much further than this though.

:hihi: of course, you are joking- the Eiffel Tower is to the south, not over and beyond the humber bridge. What you may have seen was the flag that Hilary planted in the north pole

shanes teeth
01-08-2012, 17:24

I saw the moon from up there one night.I think.

Oingo
17-06-2013, 21:58
Dear all,

Please find attached the images of York Minster, taken last year from Ringinglow road by my Father and me using a bird spotting scope and my Blackberry. You can see it with binoculars. It can also be seen from in front of the Ridge flats, Redmires Road - but you need to look carefully and the aspect isn't quite what it is in these images. Enjoy.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3515079

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3515062 - enhanced

boyfriday
17-06-2013, 22:11
Dear all,

Please find attached the images of York Minster, taken last year from Ringinglow road by my Father and me using a bird spotting scope and my Blackberry. You can see it with binoculars. It can also be seen from in front of the Ridge flats, Redmires Road - but you need to look carefully and the aspect isn't quite what it is in these images. Enjoy.

York Minster? That's Ousetunes shed! :hihi:

allwednesday
17-06-2013, 23:43
York Minster? That's Ousetunes shed! :hihi:

I've been to the viewing table many times over the last few years I know Lincoln cathedral is on the brass plaque but can't remember seeing Yorkminster on there
I will go up on a clear frosty day and take another look! I really enjoy the fresh air up there too.

John_S6
18-06-2013, 00:24

The fella with the emu?

Phanerothyme
18-06-2013, 00:25
Dear all,

Fantastic home brew solution - :thumbsup:

Oingo
18-06-2013, 09:01
Hi Allwednesday. You can only just see one edge of the Minster from the viewing table. It is not really worth trying. The Minster is just visible just behind a cooling tower from there. Better to Ringinglow Road nr. the top of Hangram Lane (good) or outside Ridge Flats on Redmires Road (not quite as good - but has been done - but be prepared to look like a bit of a berk stading with telescope outside some flats while folk drive by!). If viewed from out front of Ridge Flats the aspect will be different and the Minster will not look as it does in the picture in relation to Ferrybridge.

Ousetunes
18-06-2013, 10:26
Dear all,

I am so grateful!

Magnificent pictures and now I know it's a physical possibility, I will return to Ringinglow (or top of Sandygate Road) with enthusiasm brimming!

boyfriday
18-06-2013, 11:16
I've been to the viewing table many times over the last few years I know Lincoln cathedral is on the brass plaque but can't remember seeing Yorkminster on there
I will go up on a clear frosty day and take another look! I really enjoy the fresh air up there too.

By the time I get to the viewing table I'm usually too exhausted to see anything!

One building that has interested me over the years is a large white building NE from the viewing table, it looks quite sinister like a government building..it's probably Makro!

allwednesday
18-06-2013, 20:32
By the time I get to the viewing table I'm usually too exhausted to see anything!

One building that has interested me over the years is a large white building NE from the viewing table, it looks quite sinister like a government building..it's probably Makro!

I believe that is Scunthorpe steel works.

Oingo
11-08-2013, 15:18
Today might be a decent day to view the Minster, although it might be a bit too hazy to the north. Lincoln should be visible.

allwednesday
11-08-2013, 19:59
Will get up in the near future it's best to go up on a frosty day when the sky's are crystal clear a lot of haze around at this time of year.

Oingo
11-08-2013, 20:14
If viewed from outside The Ridge Flats, Lodge Moor, you look just to the left of the easternmost cooling tower of Ferrybridge (the power station which is furthest west visible). Half of the Minster fills the gap between the two easternmost cooling towers. It was visible today (745pm) with 10x binoculars from the top of The Ridge. Good hunting!

Colin Foster
11-08-2013, 20:22
If viewed from outside The Ridge Flats, Lodge Moor, you look just to the left of the easternmost cooling tower of Ferrybridge (the power station which is furthest west visible). Half of the Minster fills the gap between the two easternmost cooling towers. It was visible today (745pm) with 10x binoculars from the top of The Ridge. Good hunting!

I went up to Fulwood Lane earlier. I could see something tall way in the distance right above the transmitter at Crosspool. It was very faint and too hazy to see clearly at that distance, but checking Google Earth suggests it could well have been the Humber bridge. Don't know if anyone has seen that before up there.

As mentioned, the best time for long distance viewing is a sunny, frosty day in December. The landscape far away always seems to be lit up better when the sun is low.

allwednesday
11-08-2013, 20:23

Well done that sounds good I have taken note cheers.

Oingo
12-08-2013, 09:00
I went up to Fulwood Lane earlier. I could see something tall way in the distance right above the transmitter at Crosspool. It was very faint and too hazy to see clearly at that distance, but checking Google Earth suggests it could well have been the Humber bridge. Don't know if anyone has seen that before up there.

As mentioned, the best time for long distance viewing is a sunny, frosty day in December. The landscape far away always seems to be lit up better when the sun is low.

Can't quite remember exactly where the Humber Bridge is in relation to our skyline but have seen it many times: you can see the two masts poking up above the horizon, and on a good day you can see the tops of the cables. Visible with binoculars and also without (masts only) if you have sharp eyes.

Mecky
12-08-2013, 11:58
Dear all,

I'm failing to see how that can be York Minster to be honest, due to hills around Sheffield and such, but I pretty much agree it's relatively flat land past Rotherham heading towards the North Sea. Might Take my telescope up there one day and have a butchers

butlers
12-08-2013, 13:44
York Minster?
With the cooling towers in the pic, could it not. Be Selby Abbey? The direction is nigh on exactly theYork bearing.

---------- Post added 12-08-2013 at 14:03 ----------

On clear days the dock cranes at Goole are visable. by eye from Woodhead Road, above grenoside.Its about 1000hft, with grreat line of sight,east and north

Oingo
12-08-2013, 14:41
Hi Mecky,

Butlers might be right - Selby Abbey maybe? I will look into it.

In terms of my thoughts on it being York Minster:
1. Match: Look at a picture of the Minster, plus the aspect from the south.
2. Match: Range and bearing make total sense, as does exact position in relation to Ferrybridge. If you would like to check yourself: take a look on google earth, plot the location (top of Hangram Lane) against York Minster using the "show ruler" function.
3. There are no other massive structures at that approximate range that look similar to York Minster - OTHER THAN SELBY ABBEY - THanks Butlers - Will look into this as tehre is a chance it could be... Watch this space.

Hills around Sheffield don't impede upon this view, as shown in the photograph.

---------- Post added 12-08-2013 at 14:51 ----------

York Minster?
With the cooling towers in the pic, could it not. Be Selby Abbey? The direction is nigh on exactly theYork bearing.

---------- Post added 12-08-2013 at 14:03 ----------

On clear days the dock cranes at Goole are visable. by eye from Woodhead Road, above grenoside.Its about 1000hft, with grreat line of sight,east and north

Yes worth looking at, especially as Eggborough would block Selby as Ferrybridge does York Minster. Will look at this. Thanks

Phanerothyme
12-08-2013, 14:59
Yep, the next place as high as Sheffield, going east, is the Urals.

Oingo
12-08-2013, 15:06
Thanks for your interest, I uploaded another photograph as for a second there I wondered whether maybe this was Selby Abbey and perhaps we had snapped it though the towers of Eggborough.

Please to report that the picture is indeed the Minster. I have a zoomed out image of more of the power station and can see two tall towers (which Ferrybridge has but Eggborough doesn't - only has one). THe image can be seen here.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3595524

Next item to hunt is Selby Abbey! :hihi:

butlers
12-08-2013, 15:21
On. a closer look the minsters two towers are a lot blocky,so. you are right.

Oingo
12-08-2013, 16:03
Regarding dock cranes at Goole, that would be quite a feat. Would love to see them. I heard a rumour at the weekend that, in years long gone by, the masts of tall ships on the Humber could be seen from Grenoside.

Sounds like it might have been a possibility if the masts were very tall.

satman2222
12-08-2013, 21:45
Absolutely spectacular views to the East and to the South across Sheffield from the top of Holly House Lane (http://goo.gl/maps/sSWbF)at Grenoside. Walk to the top of the lane and look back for the East view, or climb over the gate/stile on the right and walk about 30 yards for the South view. Also you can see the Stanedge pole to the North West.

allwednesday
12-08-2013, 21:57
Can't quite remember exactly where the Humber Bridge is in relation to our skyline but have seen it many times: you can see the two masts poking up above the horizon, and on a good day you can see the tops of the cables. Visible with binoculars and also without (masts only) if you have sharp eyes.

Yes me too seen the Humber bridge many times i think it says on the viewing table the bridge is 51 miles away

Dick
12-08-2013, 22:01
Dear all,

Sorry, but that doesn't look like York Minster to me!

Tyranna
12-08-2013, 22:22
Sorry, but that doesn't look like York Minster to me!

This is an astonishing view! Something like 50 miles telephotoed to nothing. are yousure it might not be Wakefield Cathedral; that also has similar towers and shape?

butlers
12-08-2013, 22:27
No power station between sheff n wakefield, so not wakefield.

mike142sl
13-08-2013, 13:34
Wakefield Cathedral has a spire!
Selby Abbey has mini spires on each corner of the main tower.

Looking at the pictures you can also see Moors behind (which must be N York Moors) you wouldn't if it were Selby or Wakefield.

Mecky
13-08-2013, 13:48
It's definately not York Minster because the cooling towers at the front and their size in relation to what is claimed to be York Minister at the rear, looks to be around a distance of 1/2 to 1 mile in distance. Also I would expect the curvature of the Earth to come into play at some point and despite the hills around Sheffield I suspect they are not high enough to offset the difference

butlers
13-08-2013, 15:39
Couple of things..
I,d make stanage pole. somewhat south of Holly House.
Theres also a topograph at the hairpin bend. On jawbone hill...obs. west facing.
I believe. If you stand at the tideline and are average height,the distance to horizon is about3and a half miles.
Once whilst staying on n.wales coast at about 600ft, on a day of exceptional visability...could see isle. Of man very clearly indeed.Thats about 75miles.Granted its an island not. a building.
I wonder with a decent telescope from greno,what the possible furthest built object might be sighted.
Top of holly house lane used to go bySt Helllena,by locals..and an old tale wasyou could see blackpool tower from there..

---------- Post added 13-08-2013 at 15:49 ----------

Hooked now...
It seems the longest uk one is Merrick,in galloway to Snowdons summit. a whopping 144miles.

Hopman
13-08-2013, 21:06
The distance to the horizon in miles is approximately the square root of the height in feet above sea level.

megalithic
13-08-2013, 21:13
The Snowdon range can be seen from Kinder Scout.

mike142sl
13-08-2013, 21:27
It's definately not York Minster because the cooling towers at the front and their size in relation to what is claimed to be York Minister at the rear, looks to be around a distance of 1/2 to 1 mile in distance. Also I would expect the curvature of the Earth to come into play at some point and despite the hills around Sheffield I suspect they are not high enough to offset the differenceMight look like a couple of miles but that's the effect of a zoom lense. IMBW but think standing on a beach the horizon is 21 miles away. This increases somewhat as you increase in height.

Selby Abbey will be just to the left of Eggborough from the same viewpoint.

Location of York Minster is N 53° 57.717 W 001° 04.917

Oingo
14-08-2013, 13:15
Might look like a couple of miles but that's the effect of a zoom lense. IMBW but think standing on a beach the horizon is 21 miles away. This increases somewhat as you increase in height.

Selby Abbey will be just to the left of Eggborough from the same viewpoint.

Location of York Minster is N 53° 57.717 W 001° 04.917

Hi Mecky,

1. Issue of size of cooling tower and Minster in relation. York Minster is about 20 miles from Ferrybridge, not 1 - 1 1/2 miles. As Mike says, when looking through a telescope into the distance, landscape features appear to be much closer together than they would without a telescope in terms of distance from the viewer.

Also, I took the photographs in the evening - you can see the sun light shining on the eastern faces. Within the space of about 30 minutes the width of the cooling tower increased noticeably.

I would have found this odd had I not read this a few weeks earlier: http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/gallery/alps/wendelstein.html and seen what 12 minutes can do. This is known as Refraction and was impressive. The size/width of the cooling tower is therefore innaccurate as relative measure over this distance at this time of the day.

2. Curvature of the earth - at 230 feet the curvature is easily overcome for the upper half of the structure.

3. Dick: "Sorry, but that doesn't look like York Minster to me!". William Turner might disagree (painting aspect is from the north). http://www.william-turner.org/On-the-River-Ouse,-with-a-view-of-York-Minster-in-the-distance.jpg

It looks exactly like York Minster. Also http://www.1st-art-gallery.com/thumbnail/176459/1/Cattle-In-Water-Meadows-With-York-Minster-In-The-Distance.jpg.
I am sure there are other photos of the correct aspect.

PS love this site: http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/panoramas.html

mike142sl
14-08-2013, 13:38
Ey up, so York Minster is actually behind the cooling tower, but we can see it as a result of refraction ;) just like a sunset.

Oingo
02-12-2013, 10:19
Hi Mike,

No, York Minster isn’t behind the cooling tower in the previous photographs and is not visible because of refraction. It is in plain and direct line of sight on those images.

An update: I ambled up to outside The Ridge (S10) yesterday and took a look northwards. Using an Iphone held against the eyepiece of 10x binoculars (rather wobbly!) I captured the attached. York Minster was lit up beautifully in the afternoon sun as can be seen between the two right-hand cooling towers. Note – these picture are taken from a different viewpoint to those previously taken, hence the Minster shows up in between (rather than to the right of) the cooling towers.

Between the Minster’s Lantern Tower and the west towers you can see land in the background which must be 60-70 miles distant from the viewpoint.

Hoping that you enjoy these.

1st picture: not enhanced. http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3764016

2nd picture: Same image but with increased contrast and lighting enhanced. No other tinkerage carried out. http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3764031

slick rick73
02-12-2013, 10:51
Hi Mike,

No, York Minster isn’t behind the cooling tower in the previous photographs and is not visible because of refraction. It is in plain and direct line of sight on those images.

An update: I ambled up to outside The Ridge (S10) yesterday and took a look northwards. Using an Iphone held against the eyepiece of 10x binoculars (rather wobbly!) I captured the attached. York Minster was lit up beautifully in the afternoon sun as can be seen between the two right-hand cooling towers. Note – these picture are taken from a different viewpoint to those previously taken, hence the Minster shows up in between (rather than to the right of) the cooling towers.

Between the Minster’s Lantern Tower and the west towers you can see land in the background which must be 60-70 miles distant from the viewpoint.

Hoping that you enjoy these.

1st picture: not enhanced. http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3764016

2nd picture: Same image but with increased contrast and lighting enhanced. No other tinkerage carried out. http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3764031

We were up there at that time yesterday. Some sight the 3 power stations letting off steam. Reminded me of the Iraqi oil wells!

actionman
02-12-2013, 13:44
I bet you can see it from onesmoor rd on kirk edge area just up from high bradfield.. I can always see a few power stations and emely moor tv mast.

carosio
02-12-2013, 13:49
There are also some features highlighted to the right of the pylon (post 92).

Oingo
02-12-2013, 15:21
Yes was commenting to a friend yesterday that Oneacre and Onesmoor would be excellent viewing points.

I think that the feature lit up to the right might be Monks Cross shopping centre plus attached industrial estate, a few miles north of the Minster. This is just to the right in terms of viewpoint, and at about the same distance give or take. It would make sense as there is no other large none green blot that is as wide and would light up so well.

If you look carefully between the towers on the Minster you can see land behind the Minster. I think that this is likely to be the Howardian Hills some 57 miles from the viewpoint (at a point just beyond and to the left of Ganthorpe). They are about 80-100m ASL at the point we are looking, compared to York Minster Lantern Tower's 25m ASL+ 60m = 85m ASL tower so would tally. I don't think that we are looking as far as the North York Moors around Pickering (or more precisely would be the village of Stape and surrounds as is in an absolute direct line). Hills near Stape reach up to 264m ASL but I think are too far distant (approx 73 miles) to be the observed land. Also, on the basis of Earth's curvature (6 feet drop per 9 miles) the North York Moors would, if visible, appear far higher than the Minster from the viewpoint.

cornwall1039
22-02-2015, 14:23
Hi, I go to Ringinglow often as I have found it to be one of my favourite places been so high up. There is a compass point at Ringinglow saying what is what in which direction. Keadby power station needs to be added to the viewing point between the Humber bridge and Scunthorpe steel works sign! As I come from near Scunthorpe I know a few more places that I have recognise from Ringinglow. Its such a wonderful location and I love it.

allwednesday
22-02-2015, 19:41
It's good on a clear frosty winters day if your lucky you can see the Humber bridge without the aid of binoculars 52 miles away.

Beauchiefs
22-02-2015, 19:42
Dear all,

Just come across your photos, amazing, how did you take them combining the scope and blackberry?

Mecky
22-02-2015, 19:44
Hi, I go to Ringinglow often as I have found it to be one of my favourite places been so high up. There is a compass point at Ringinglow saying what is what in which direction. Keadby power station needs to be added to the viewing point between the Humber bridge and Scunthorpe steel works sign! As I come from near Scunthorpe I know a few more places that I have recognise from Ringinglow. Its such a wonderful location and I love it.

Well, it's great to get up there with a decent set of binoculars correctly collimated but I still say some of the claims are inaccurate. BTW did anyone see the conjunction of Mars and Venus last night?

daniel3982
23-02-2015, 00:41
Can you not see Lincoln Cathedral since it sits on a hill in a flat landscape?

Colin Foster
23-02-2015, 01:39
Can you not see Lincoln Cathedral since it sits on a hill in a flat landscape?

You most definitely can

strewf
23-02-2015, 01:41
Just did a quick search and found this, if it is of interest
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=humber+bridge+viewed+from+sheffield&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zYTqVNCDKIntUsfrgcAG&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=655#imgdii=_&imgrc=PG3bkWXsnEYfVM%253A%3B5wrn784G7bQiVM%3Bhttps %253A%252F%252Ffarm6.staticflickr.com%252F5559%252 F14891434523_1b5aecf7d2.jpg%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252F www.flickr.com%252Fphotos%252Fvks5%252F14891434523 %252F%3B1024%3B683

supersonic
23-02-2015, 06:01
Some great pictures there, and that is definitely York Minster you can see. A quick look on google earth confirms it, just use the ruler tool and draw a line from the view point to the minster. Depending on where you are located in Sheffield, Ferrybridge is in direct line of site. From Woodhead Road at Grenoside the Minster is slightly to the left of Ferrybridge.

cornwall1039
23-02-2015, 22:18
I know the Emley Moor transmitter can be seen from Ringinglow, but I wonder if the Belmont transmitter has ever been spotted in the Lincolnshire Wolds between Louth and Market Rasen! That will be the next challenging sight seeing from Ringinglow.

FORE
23-02-2015, 22:37
Ringinglow is very good, but if you want a GOOD view in most directions, think about a walk up to BACK TOR, on Derwent edge.

Went once and was amazed!
Went again and despite forecasts there was low cloud.
Went Saturday and it snowed! As on the previous occasion about 300yds down it cleared up!

Well worth it but remember boots, grub and appropriate clothing. Suggest allowing about 4 hours.

Annie Bynnol
23-02-2015, 22:37
I know the Emley Moor transmitter can be seen from Ringinglow, but I wonder if the Belmont transmitter has ever been spotted in the Lincolnshire Wolds between Louth and Market Rasen! That will be the next challenging sight seeing from Ringinglow.

Regularly on any clear night
From Lydgate Lane it is easily visible amongst or just south of the twin towers of West Burton power station. When very clear the Aircraft recognition lights are visible to the naked eye.

supersonic
24-02-2015, 01:51
I imagine Bilsdale transmitter can be seen too on a good day.

Here is a pic I took from the top of Grenoside a few years ago:
http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp87/supersonic525/IMG_633505901057794_zpswngpplc3.jpeg

Press the magnifier for a clearer not compressed image.

Can see Hoober stand, Hoober observatory, and distantly the now demolished cooling towers at Thorpe Marsh.

Colin Foster
24-02-2015, 02:25
I imagine Bilsdale transmitter can be seen too on a good day.

That would have to be a very good day. It's a relatively thin structure and is over 70 miles away. No, I'd be very surprised if I ever saw that, even though in good weather I can watch BBC North East and ITV Tyne Tees from it.

There was a very, very clear evening in late June last year. I went up to Ringinglow and was blown away, I honestly don't think I will ever see it any better than that. You could see for miles and miles, it was incredible. It was just a pity there was only about 2 hours of daylight left, otherwise I would happily have spent all day up there. Right in the distance I could see a large hill range which I have never seen from there before. I wasn't sure if it was the Yorkshire Wolds or the North York Moors. Either way they were some distance off.

supersonic
24-02-2015, 02:48
I've seen the same hills too, I think it is the edge if the NYM, I'll have to check google earth again.

The aircraft warning lights certainly make spotting the towers easier at night! I can often pick up Bilsdale too, incredible really as am only 70m above sea level at Ecclesfield, no line of site, wrong aerial group, pointing the wrong way!

---------- Post added 24-02-2015 at 03:44 ----------

I had a look at Google Earth and some old pictures of mine, and you can see both range of hills, depending on your bearing. From my vantage point at Woodhead road, Grenoside (about 300m asl), looking towards Drax and Eggborough, the hills behind are the wolds:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130759616@N02/16444439799/

Can only just be made out on this hazy day. Looking towards Ferrybridge, the hills behind are the NYM (as seen through the cooling towers):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130759616@N02/16604268416/

On this pic, if you zoom in, you can make out the Minster bell tower just to the left of the towers:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130759616@N02/16008098044/

Thorpe Marsh looking out towards Hull. You can clearly see the hills behind, I think Humber Bridge is lost amongst the wind turbines in the foreground:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130759616@N02/16008061844/

And West Burton. Not good enough to see Lincoln on this day:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130759616@N02/16444441139/

cornwall1039
25-02-2015, 21:04
I do like the picture of Thorpe Marsh, the Humber bridge is to the right on your photograph. I am pretty sure you have got hill plantation near Burton Upon Stather in the middle of your photograph.

supersonic
26-02-2015, 02:37
Think I might have to get back up on a cold day and take some more! These were mostly on a summer bike ride, so was a lot of heat haze. I wonder if possible to pick anything out at Hull?

cornwall1039
26-02-2015, 14:35
I will have another look possibly on Saturday weather permitting to try and see Lincoln Cathedral. I spotted Scunthorpe steel works last week which is above Sheffield tallest building St Paul's Tower.

Eater Sundae
26-02-2015, 15:44
Just a thought. Aren't there any mapping tools that allow you to create a section through the sightline between 2 points to show the topography between, where you are viewing from and what you are hoping to see. I've used such as Gmaps pedometer in the past to create cycle routes and it gives you all the ups and downs of your route. You can also input straight line routes which would be the sightline. It would then show you whether or not the land between rises enough to block out the view. There may be other software which would include for the curvature of the earth.

Does anyone know if there is any suitable software available?

cornwall1039
26-02-2015, 15:53
There is a direction sign at top of Fulwood lane, it says Lincoln cathedral is on 43 miles. In these pictures which took last Saturday with a little help using my binoculars you will see the Humber Bridge taken from Fulwood Lane, and Keadby power station taken from top of Houndkirk road. Also from Houndkirk Road Scunthorpe steel works is spotted.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131626405@N08/

Colin Foster
26-02-2015, 16:38
I've never managed to see the Humber Bridge yet, even when it was really clear. That's me not knowing where exactly to look though, I'm sure it can be seen. Lincoln Cathedral I think is fairly easy to spot, it's on a ridge if I remember rightly and York Minster is almost directly behind Ferrybridge.

supersonic
27-02-2015, 08:26
Some great pics there, will have to take my binoculars up. My photos were taken with an old Fuji s1500 with 10x zoom lenses.

This is a great little tool for calculating line of sight, and shows terrain profiles corrected for curvature:

http://www.megalithia.com/elect/terrain.html

cornwall1039
08-03-2015, 12:36
I went to Ringinglow yesterday as it was a clear day, sadly the sun has a bit more power in it now so its getting a little bit more hazy. When I went I couldn't see as far compared to when I have been in all the snow and a couple of weeks back.

Dales
29-06-2015, 16:39
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone has been up here recently to take in the view?
I haven't unfortunately but i'm going to take my other half to see it as soon as we get chance.

Colin Foster
29-06-2015, 18:56
Last Sunday evening it was very clear in the East and I could see the Belmont transmitter and that's nearly 60 miles away. You could see well into Lincolnshire.

allwednesday
29-06-2015, 19:01
Yes I'm a regular visitor the best views are usually in the winter months on a frosty day.

supersonic
22-07-2015, 00:07
Went up to Grenoside (Greno Knoll radio mast) today and could clearly see the Humber Bridge and York Minster - though not so easy to photo! This was best I could do of the bridge:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130759616@N02/19710762448/in/dateposted-public/

carosio
22-07-2015, 09:32
What magnification did you use, and could you see it with standard binoculars?

supersonic
22-07-2015, 12:49
I was using 10x50 binoculars, was an easy spot once you knew the direction. I took the pic with my phone camera through the binoculars!

senwar
22-07-2015, 16:55
Went up to Grenoside (Greno Knoll radio mast) today and could clearly see the Humber Bridge and York Minster - though not so easy to photo! This was best I could do of the bridge:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130759616@N02/19710762448/in/dateposted-public/

We're moving to Green Moor and someone who lives there told us on a clear day you can see the Humber Bridge. I didn't think it was possible! Now I believe it!

supersonic
22-07-2015, 17:10
It's even higher up there, some lovely views, great place to cycle. You'll easily see the York Minster when the sun shines on it, and the N York moors behind it. On a very clear day you can also see the white horse at Kilburn.

cookingfat50
23-07-2015, 20:42
you can see even farter if you stand on the hill at herdings were the twin multi stories are and even better view if you wait till someone comes out or goes in. then go to the top floor and see the panoramic view of most of Sheffield. see into Derbyshire, and the other windows see the north side leading to parson cross, swing round and you get meadow hall to Rotherham, and Doncaster getting in is quite easy just a bit of patience ,

carosio
24-07-2015, 09:10
I was thinking the same thing as I drove past these flats the other day.

Many years ago I visited the top floor of one to repair a tv and the occupier mentioned that in high winds the water in the toilet bowl moves about.

senwar
24-07-2015, 10:04
It's even higher up there, some lovely views, great place to cycle. You'll easily see the York Minster when the sun shines on it, and the N York moors behind it. On a very clear day you can also see the white horse at Kilburn.

Can't wait to get up and have a look! Thanks

Sheffvlad
24-07-2015, 10:07
you can see even farter if you stand on the hill at herdings were the twin multi stories are and even better view if you wait till someone comes out or goes in. then go to the top floor and see the panoramic view of most of Sheffield. see into Derbyshire, and the other windows see the north side leading to parson cross, swing round and you get meadow hall to Rotherham, and Doncaster getting in is quite easy just a bit of patience ,

Top typo! :hihi:

supersonic
24-05-2016, 17:39
Was pretty clear today, I managed to get a hazy picture of the White Horse at Kilburn:

https://flic.kr/p/HjScW1

I could see the Bilsdale transmitter too, but too faint to image. Still, 54 and 64 miles respectively!

Could see York Minster well too in the sun:

https://flic.kr/p/HttkgM

stormvixen
24-05-2016, 19:58
This is awesome... I'm totally going to have to get up there with my camera and tripod...
How accessible is this? I have to walk with a crutch now, but can still manage reasonable terrain...

Detetcive
24-05-2016, 20:01
Was pretty clear today, I managed to get a hazy picture of the White Horse at Kilburn:

https://flic.kr/p/HjScW1

I could see the Bilsdale transmitter too, but too faint to image. Still, 54 and 64 miles respectively!

Could see York Minster well too in the sun:

https://flic.kr/p/HttkgM

Wow - brilliant stuff. Nice one

Runningman
24-05-2016, 22:54
This is awesome... I'm totally going to have to get up there with my camera and tripod...
How accessible is this? I have to walk with a crutch now, but can still manage reasonable terrain...

Travel out of the city to Ringinglow, turn right past the Roundhouse. The road dips and turns to the right, then rises to where the stone plinth is on your right. Park sensibly on the road side, should be able with crutches to walk across the grass to the plinth.

supersonic
24-05-2016, 23:59
Thank you for the kind comments! I've only got very basic viewing equipment (10 x 50 binocs, and as my tripod broke I had to balance them on my bike and take the photos through an eyepiece with my phone!). Woodhead Road just north of Grenoside offers a fantastic view from north to east:

https://flic.kr/p/HnWgyz

Also from today a fuzzy Humber bridge:

https://flic.kr/p/Gyw7Bt

The power station is Ferrybridge, and the white buildings beyond are the Designer outlet at Fulford, York:

https://flic.kr/p/HnWbcH

From today too, Lincoln Cathedral (centre, can make out the main tower, but the other two smaller ones appear merged):

https://flic.kr/p/GywcFB

And Emley Moor and I believe on the horizon Buckden Pike and Great Whernside in the Dales:

https://flic.kr/p/HnZ46n

You need luck with the light, atmospherics and contrast, but I am sure with better equipment you could get much clearer than this. But you need to know where to look ;-).

alchresearch
25-05-2016, 09:48
I don't think its about the picture quality, more the "wow" factor of being able to see so far.

Dales
09-06-2017, 15:49
I was just wondering if anyone has been up here recently?
I went late last summer, but the weather conditions were poor and it was quite hazy.

DerbyTup
09-06-2017, 23:54
Why not visit Cottam Power Station in Lincolnshire and see if you can see Ringinglow from there? It's a far better view than the other way round!

makapaka
10-06-2017, 10:47
I don't think its about the picture quality, more the "wow" factor of being able to see so far.

I worked at ferrybridge and on a Friday night used to call in the sportsman at redmires in the summer for a pint on way home.

Always amazed me how id driven 30-40 miles for best part of an hour and then could sit looking at work from round the corner from home!

bassett one
10-06-2017, 10:48
the hills of Sheffield help us to have great views across the city from the outskirts.

ALAN 58
10-06-2017, 11:34
Roger Daltrey could see for miles and mlies and miles. If i remember rightly.

Dales
10-06-2017, 13:20
Why not visit Cottam Power Station in Lincolnshire and see if you can see Ringinglow from there? It's a far better view than the other way round!

That sounds a lovely day out! :hihi: