Small Claims- How Much.

Can anyone tell me how it costs to put someone in the small claims court,and where do i go to do this..

You do a money claim online

you simply fill in your details, what you are claiming for, defendants details , they then get sent paper work and can log in online to defend claim if they wish, it then gets allocated to the DEFENDANTS local county court (if they contest it), if they do contest it then goes via the small claims track(depending on the amount etc)

Costs depend on how much you are claiming

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

You should really do a NBA (letter before action) giving them a certain time to pay etc

whats happened?

How much are you claiming for ?

Are they local or do they live some where else?

Even if you do get a judgement , they could just ignore it and you may find it hard/impossible to enforce,

Edited by Eckolad

In that case you are looking at £25

What you may find is the letter before action works, or if that doesnt you can send them a draft claim form which you can fill in and shows you are serious. You can download the manual claim form (N1)

i have already been in touch with trading standards,and they helped me draft a letter to the people that owe me money..They were given 7/14 days to reply..they havent replied so only option is small claims court.

In that case go for it !

Just keep an open mind as to wheather you will get your money back

Make sure you include the cost of making the claim in the total costs you seek

In that case go for it !

Just keep an open mind as to wheather you will get your money back

Make sure you include the cost of making the claim in the total costs you seek[/quote

Thanks for advice,dont want to be out of pocket as this car seller sold us a car with tax on it,and all of a sudden becomes voided because they prob bounced cheque to dvla..Im sure they do this on a regular basis just to sell their cars we are out of pocket and had to re tax our car through no fault of our own..Wouldnt like it to be done to anyone else they need to be told really.. :)

Is it a business?

If it is and it isn't a limited company make sure you all include all defendents at thier hone address

Edited by Eckolad

If they ignore the court order, and don`t pay they will get a County Court Judgement on their credit referance file.This is on a public register and therefore is not subject to data protection. They would have 1 month to pay what they owe you. After that its on their file for 6 years. As a business they would not want it, so you should stand a decent chance of getting your money back, so long as you are in the right.

If they ignore the court order, and don`t pay they will get a County Court Judgement on their credit referance file.This is on a public register and therefore is not subject to data protection. They would have 1 month to pay what they owe you. After that its on their file for 6 years. As a business they would not want it, so you should stand a decent chance of getting your money back, so long as you are in the right.

I disagree there

Lots of companies especially clampers and companies with not many assets or not bothered about their credit status will collect CCJ's like they are going out of fashion.

If however you Sue the Defendants on an individual business and not company and they own their own house etc it is much easier to enforce