Please help, I could cry!! ( car problem only bought yesterday)

Bought this VW golf mk3 yesterday privately. Test drove it, everything was fine.

But today things aren't so rosy.... It takes about 10 attempts to get the car into reverse. I tried all the gears yesterday and everything was fine.

I am so angry, the seller must have known that.

As the car was bought privately, I know I have little comeback but surely I must be able to do something.

I pushed my budget to the limit and was sure that for that price it'd be ok. It has full service history and stacks of receipts of work carried out.

Help, please:cry:

Bought this VW golf mk3 yesterday privately. Test drove it, everything was fine.

But today things aren't so rosy.... It takes about 10 attempts to get the car into reverse. I tried all the gears yesterday and everything was fine.

I am so angry, the seller must have known that.

As the car was bought privately, I know I have little comeback but surely I must be able to do something.

I pushed my budget to the limit and was sure that for that price it'd be ok. It has full service history and stacks of receipts of work carried out.

Help, please:cry:

Diesel,

Sounds like your gear box is for a better word....knackered!

You should contact the seller and tell them whats happened. I'm guessing he or she knew but there is no harm in letting them know.

I presume it was a cash deal ?

Z

oh no bad luck

it was a cash deal

its a case of buyer beware,but i think if you contact the c a b they could advise you best,you see when you bought the car you bought a vehicle with 6 gears,the seller only supplied you with 5 so you may have a case, i worked for the c a b at pitsmoor many years ago and once got a woman her money back when she bought a fridge, she got it home and it wouldnt work, i argued that the shop had sold her an item that was not fit for use as intended,in fact they had sold her a box, she got her money back.......so give them a ring as soon as you can.....good luck

I know it is unfortunate but looking at it from the other aspect.

There is nothing worse when you have been as honest as possible when selling the car and the purchaser is happy but something happens to the car within the next couple of days which is out of your control and you knew nothing about it.

As advice for people selling a car always make a purchaser sign a "Sold as seen" receipt and make sure you both have a copy.

If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagon,

it could be the clutch rather than the gearbox. did you get it inspected before you bought it - the AA do a great job for a 100 sovs or so.

Might be worth checking through all the paperwork then if the car has had a new gear box fitted or any work has been done on the transmission side of things it may still be under guarantee.

I remember selling a car once and the following day the exhaust fell off, I felt really bad upon hearing about this and so paid for a new exhaust to be fitted.

I know it is unfortunate but looking at it from the other aspect.

There is nothing worse when you have been as honest as possible when selling the car and the purchaser is happy but something happens to the car within the next couple of days which is out of your control and you knew nothing about it.

As advice for people selling a car always make a purchaser sign a "Sold as seen" receipt and make sure you both have a copy.

Bit funny it went wrong the morning after I bought it though. Wouldn't you be suspicious?? I'm sure he must have known about it.