Help to set up outlook 2010 with gmail

I've followed all the Gmail help instructions and am still unable to make a connection with Outlook 2010. Help needed

TIA.

It has established a network connection, search for my gmail server settings and then logged on to server

Error message "Problem connecting to server" an encrypted connection to your mail server is not available. Click next to attempt using an unencrypted connection.

Clicked next to search for my gmail server settings (unencrypted) and then logging on to server but received a further error message Problem Connecting to Server. It has established a network connection but seems unable to search for my gmail account server settings unencrypted.

Asked to verify settings ie my email address and to connect with one of three options: Connect using my LAN; TMobile UK (installed because of occasional network probs); connect using IE or 3rd party ...

There is then a tick box to manually configure server settings.

Also asked to retry

retried without success so ticked box to manually configure server settings and changed option to Microsoft Exchange or compatible service.

Microsoft Outlook didnt like that: A new Miscrosoft exchange account cannot be manually configured while Outlook is running. To add a manually configured account, ext Outlook. In control panel open Mail and then click E-mail accounts

Automatic settings often do not work. Go to control panel, user account and family safety (if windows 7) and double click the mail icon. Look at and change the existing profile and set it up manually that way.

On a separate note, there seem to be a few issues with Gmail and outlook at the moment, for some people, even with all the correct details it is rejecting the password. Different error than you are getting though.

Done all of the previous instructions and getting the same result :(

Help definitely appreciated.

TIA

Done it manually and these are the error messages:

Test account settings:

Some errors occurred while processing the tests. Review the list of errors below for more details etc.

1. Log onto incoming mail server (IMAP): The connection to the server failed.

2. Send test e-mail message: Cannot send the message. Verify the e-mail address in your account properties. The server responded: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. k6sm20802469wiy.7

Just seen a few other boxes that I need to amend before running another test.

:( test failed again - log onto incoming mail server (IMAP) and Send test e-mail message

Send test e-mail message: Cannot send the message. Verify the e-mail address in your account properties. The server responded: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. 6sm20862967wiz.1

If I've got two step verification set up will that make a difference?