Who is suitable to give me a job reference

iv been offered a full time job . they are wanting two references but they cannot get hold of the people i put down. would it be ok for me to put down my former staff collegeus but they wernt managers ... i was the assistant manager there ??? many thanks

I think you usually have to have your last employer but I have used a colleague before as my second reference after my original second referee failed to respond in time.

they cant get hold of the last two employers...i just feel a bit stuck

Give them a character reference. Someone that knows you personally but is not related.

iv been offered a full time job . they are wanting two references but they cannot get hold of the people i put down. would it be ok for me to put down my former staff collegeus but they wernt managers ... i was the assistant manager there ??? many thanks

Your former employers may have a policy about who can and who can't write references, so your colleagues who weren't managers may only be allowed to write a character reference.

Just get one of your mates to do it, (one that is trust worthy and can tell a good yarn). Make up some plausible but impressive things to say, make up a job title that is far more impressive than they've actually got, usually involving the word manager. Director of communications is always a good one (secretary).

If you've got the job, it's you they are interested in, references are just to check that the stranger coming on board is not a crazed maniac, and that they won't 'go postal' murdering the rest of the office in a frenzied attack when the photocopier breaks down.

I would say being creative with the truth and able to think fast on your feet, utilising all means at your disposal for a desired outcome are highly prized skills in business today and any potential employer will appreciate this. :thumbsup:

Until they discover the hoax and you are summarily dismissed.

They won't if it's done well. :hihi:

btw. To the O/P, disregard my comments above.

Seriously, I'm sure putting your former colleagues down as references will be fine.

All the best.

If all else fails, I actually would do similar to what Tuffty said. Perhaps even just write it myself after giving them another email address that goes straight to me anyway. Definitely last resort though.

Why dont you get hold of the people? Shows initiative and may win you brownie points.

Does the company have an HR department? If so contact them, they should be able to give you a reference even if it is just a basic one to confirm you worked there and what your job title was. Most companies are fine with this.