POLL - Heart Of The City -

COMMUNITY PARTICIPATION IS IMPORTANT WHEN CONDUCTING LARGE SCALE REGENERATION  

28 members have voted

1. 1. COMMUNITY PARTICIPATION IS IMPORTANT WHEN CONDUCTING LARGE SCALE REGENERATION

Do you think that community participation in regeneration schemes such as Sheffield's Heart of the City is important?

I was going to click on the poll but couldn't be bothered!

Comunity participation is absolutely essential when undertaking regeneration projects.

Who else is going to cough up the 41m of public funding to pay for these schemes?

if it was up to the public we would have some great plans for the city centre but no one willing to stump up the funds to pay for it

It's the tax payers money which goes towards these projects so they should have the option to have their say.

Are those the same taxpayers that whinge and moan when the plans are announced, chain themselves to the railings when work starts (like they did when work started on the Peace Gardens) and, when the work is actually finished, say "ooh, its quite good really!"

There are so many naysayers in Sheffield, I would be worried that any regeneration scheme with any imagination and vision would be trodden on before it even got off the drawing board. Look at the thread about the banana shaped glass office block proposed for the bottom of the Wicker, for example.

I have no objection to plans to regenerate parts of this city to make it the pearl of the North that I think it is.

This is a great city and has much to offer, anything to reinforce that draw can only be a good thing. What people should realise is that schemes such as this are although funded by our taxes and that they have a stake in the process - chaining themselves to railings is not the way forward. Try looking at things with a little vision and forward thinking, it might be better than you think.

Regeneration comes at a cost, some of the marvellous old buildings that make up the city centre must be sacrificed but more effort should be made towards preserving these buildings even if its purpose has changed. People have to put up with years of disruption for the sake of the building works and the landscaping of the land. However, the benefits outweigh the sacrifices - the final results of regeneration brings jobs, prestige, increased property value and a whole host of other reasons.

Are those the same taxpayers that whinge and moan when the plans are announced, chain themselves to the railings when work starts (like they did when work started on the Peace Gardens) and, when the work is actually finished, say "ooh, its quite good really!"

There are so many naysayers in Sheffield, I would be worried that any regeneration scheme with any imagination and vision would be trodden on before it even got off the drawing board. Look at the thread about the banana shaped glass office block proposed for the bottom of the Wicker, for example.

exactly ! couldnt word it better myself !

People always go on about sheffield city council like its the enemy or something, theres only one enemy sheffield has and it pricks like the ones you mentioned lol

Its essential and to those who have disagreed, would they mind telling us why?

I did (see above) :)