Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Simvastatin...Are you taking them?

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

14-03-2006, 08:07   #1
PaulTansley

Total Posts: 4,050
If you are taking these you will know there for lowering chorestrol.
This is the heart wonder drug that has been on the media today.
I am now taking this as my chorestrol was 6.9 which is high but not dangerously high according to the doc.
I am on a " mission " to get it below 4.0.
I have now been on them for 6 weeks and due another chorestrol check in April so I can't tell you how much these are working until then.
Is there anyone out there taking this and if so have they made aa difference to you.
14-03-2006, 08:11   #2
Internetowl
Forum Muppet

Total Posts: 3,316
6.9 is high mate. They are suggesting it should be under 4 according to the latest research. I presume you're on 'atorvastatin' or similar at the moment.

I am normally under 4 when its checked but I've been misbehaving recently so expect it to have risen this coming check up
14-03-2006, 09:04   #3
PaulTansley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internetowl
6.9 is high mate. They are suggesting it should be under 4 according to the latest research. I presume you're on 'atorvastatin' or similar at the moment.

I am normally under 4 when its checked but I've been misbehaving recently so expect it to have risen this coming check up
Nope i'm on the one I have mentioned.
Chorestrol is not all related to a bad diet.
I am /was and will be again very athletic and my chorestrol is due to family history or gene related.
My diet has always been good.
If your parents had high chorestrol then you should have yours checked.
The link is very high.
14-03-2006, 09:11   #4
depoix

Total Posts: 8,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycleracer
If you are taking these you will know there for lowering chorestrol.
This is the heart wonder drug that has been on the media today.
I am now taking this as my chorestrol was 6.9 which is high but not dangerously high according to the doc.
I am on a " mission " to get it below 4.0.
I have now been on them for 6 weeks and due another chorestrol check in April so I can't tell you how much these are working until then.
Is there anyone out there taking this and if so have they made aa difference to you.
i have been taking these in 40mg doses since last april along with a junior asprin each day,each check up i have shows that they have reduced my chorestrol levels, so keep taking them cycleracer and good luck.
_______
i am not a number, i am a man, a person
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikynT...eature=related
14-03-2006, 10:19   #5
shoeshine

Total Posts: 11,226
I am take Simvastatin, cycleracer, a dose of 20mg per day.

I was admitted to hospital, as an emergency in 2003, with Heart Arrhythmia and spent about 14 days having treatment. Throughout this period, I was wearing a constant heart-monitoring device with radio transmission to the Cardiac Centre a few corridors away from my bed in a general ward. Very scary!

I won't go into all the details here but after discharge, I was not prescribed Simvastatin. I was having problems with one of the drugs affecting the results of the Warfarin I was taking. I was readmitted for a further 10 days to wean me off the offending drug, which was replaced with Digoxin.

After an Angiogram, as an outpatient, I was given the Simvastatin, and take it daily, in addition to the Digoxin and the other concoctions of tablets.

I had a letter from my GP the other day, requiring me have a blood test to check my cholesterol levels. This is the first time in two years I had been asked for a check since early 2004.

Much later on I was told that at the time of the 2003 hospital episode I had a "Silent Heart Attack". I have never been informed of my cholesterol level at any time...I shall make sure I know it from now on!

I am so grateful to the Hospital Staff at Rotherham General, I can't praise them enough.

Now I can tell you although we have never met, and we have crossed swords on SF a couple of times, I was so very concerned upon hearing you were admitted to hospital with suspected heart problems.

The message sent to you through SF was one of genuine concern, and I am pleased your diagnosis was favourable.
14-03-2006, 13:32   #6
tinker

Total Posts: 285
wasn't the drug mentioned in the news not simvastatin , but rosuvastatin ? are these 2 drugs the same ?
14-03-2006, 13:35   #7
Internetowl
Forum Muppet

Total Posts: 3,316
it was - as for the condition , mine is down to my kidney condition and the fact I'm diabetic too and that the two different treatments for my conditions fight each other - so makes for some interesting days and nights
14-03-2006, 13:38   #8
Joanl
Potty Pensioner

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 12,427
I have been taking Simvastatin, 40mg, for a few years now following angioplasty in 1992ish. I go for blood/cholesterol checks every year and have just this morning phoned the surgery to get my last results. They came back normal so I'm told with no need to make an appointment to see the doc at the present time. Last year, I was 4.8, so I take it thats what was meant by normal, so I'm quite pleased about that.
The thing is, my mother died of heart disease, aged only 60. I shall be 64 next week...she never got the chance of surgery or statins prior to her death in 79 cos they probably didn't exist then, so they MUST be doing me some good and I did smoke for a while as well.
Good luck with yours.
_______
Wise people speak because they have something to say.
Fools speak because they have to say something.

--------------------------------------
Airshow 2014
14-03-2006, 13:40   #9
Joanl
Potty Pensioner

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 12,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker
wasn't the drug mentioned in the news not simvastatin , but rosuvastatin ? are these 2 drugs the same ?
I think "statins" are the family name as it were. Mine are actually Simvador but they are Simvastatins.
_______
Wise people speak because they have something to say.
Fools speak because they have to say something.

--------------------------------------
Airshow 2014
14-03-2006, 16:34   #10
Plain Talker
Happy Hijaabi

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 41,963
count me in the simavastin club... only on a 20 mg dose, at the mo, mind you....

high cholesterol with high blood pressure, and diabetic to boot.. my doc thinks I'm a stroke waiting to happen! (And prob'ly righly so!)

PT
_______
Muslim Women should not wear veils, says page 1 of The Sun...
For further information about The Sun's opinion of women, turn to page 3

"People can be taught how to HATE, people can be taught how to SPELL... But apparently, it's one or the other"
14-03-2006, 18:56   #11
teebee

Total Posts: 253
I am supposed to take simvastatin, but.... i never was very good at doing what i am told. I recently had to change doctors, and had to go to see the practise nurse, for a health check, she asked me what my familys medical history was like, i laughed at her and said, flick the switch on the kettle love, this could take a while.
15-03-2006, 06:12   #12
caramac55

Total Posts: 239
Yep, i'm a member of the Simvastatin club, I started on 40mg but as my cholestorel fell to about 4.5 my dosage was reduced to 20mg, one a day every day. So yes, they seem to be doing their job well.
15-03-2006, 08:52   #13
tinker

Total Posts: 285
does anyone get any side effects taking these simvastatin ? as i have been prescribed some of these 20 mg once a day , but i've not started taking them yet bit wary as i've heard they cause muscle weakness .
15-03-2006, 09:11   #14
PaulTansley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker
does anyone get any side effects taking these simvastatin ? as i have been prescribed some of these 20 mg once a day , but i've not started taking them yet bit wary as i've heard they cause muscle weakness .
I was told the same but I don't think I have experienced muscle weakness but having said that I am still recovering from the virus that attacked my heart muscles so its been the last thing on my mind.
I have very strong leg muscles as a cyclist but I have not got the chance to restart any training so I don't know if they are as strong as they were 5 weeks ago before I was taken into hospital.
I think I can deal with a little muscle weakness to be honest if the tablets do the job.
Thanks for the postings, very interesting comments.

Last edited by PaulTansley; 15-03-2006 at 09:13.
15-03-2006, 20:02   #15
Applegrim

Total Posts: 457
Yes I've been taking them about 4 years now, I had a stroke when I was 50 and I was originally taking asprin, but they started to upset my stomach so the doctor changed the asprin to Simvastatin, and I've never had any more trouble.
15-03-2006, 20:49   #16
pattricia
Miss Moneypenny

Total Posts: 74,468
My husband takes Simvastatin.Hes had to take them for 6 weeks.His cholestrol count was 7,which is very high.Hes just waiting for the results of his blood cholstrol test.Hes stopped taking them for the moment,because they used to upset his stomache,especially in bed at night & he did have diahorrea at one time.He took the 40mg dose,so when his blood test comes back he is going to ask the doc to reduce the dosage.The doctor says that high cholestrol can run in families.
16-03-2006, 06:44   #17
caramac55

Total Posts: 239
Iv'e been taking Simvastatin for about 5 months now, as I stated earlier in this thread, I started on 40mg, this was reduced to 20mg about a month ago. At no time have I had any side effects
27-03-2006, 12:43   #18
MrH

Total Posts: 962
Send a message via MSN to MrH
Once you are on these, are you on them forever or do you come off them once the cholesterol count comes down to an "acceptable level"?
_______
Still Lurking!
27-03-2006, 17:42   #19
Ms Macbeth
Baby boomer

Admin Team
Total Posts: 16,221
In answer to Mr H I think it depends on the cause of the high cholesterol. My husband has been taking statins for over 10 years due to an inherited condition, which resulted in a heart attack, followed by a bypass in 1996. Even on an almost fat free diet, his cholesterol levels were around 9. He takes 80mg Simvastatin and luckily has had no serious side effects. His cholesterol levels are fairly steady now around 5.

In some cases diet alone can lower cholesterol, but some conditions make this impossible - in these cases I would think statins would always be needed.
27-03-2006, 18:02   #20
shoeshine

Total Posts: 11,226
According to the news today, a new miracle drug, offering a long term solution to we Simvastin patients may be available in the not too distant future...........

A new Chloresterol Treatment
_______
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." - Einstein
Reply To Topic