Sheffield Forum

Female Sterilisation reversal on NHS

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

11-03-2006, 23:02   #1
md1pts

Total Posts: 93
hi there, has anyone on here either had or knows anyone who has had a female Sterilisation reversal on NHS, i have read that thi sis possible but according to my sisters GP it can not be done, if anyone knows of it been done on the NHS and is happy to provide me with some details of where and when it was done i can pass them on to my sister and hopefully it might help her to get hers done.

thanks
12-03-2006, 01:53   #2
medusa
mostly here

Admin Team
Total Posts: 34,517
As far as I understand it, there are very few areas where this is available on the NHS, because the overall success rate for the operation (as in, the pregnancy rate after reversal) is phenomenally low and the cost of the operation is unfeasably high for the expected return.

It's one thing saying that it's possible, another completely performing it successfully enough to convince NICE that it's effective enough for the NHS to pay for it.
_______
It's time for the Homeless Christmas Shoe Box appeal to come around again.
Please like, please share, please donate- everybody can donate something, even if that's just a tin of beans, to someone who has nothing.
https://www.facebook.com/Homelessshoeboxappeal?fref=ts
12-03-2006, 09:42   #3
md1pts

thanks for your reply, i am really looking for people who have had this procedure done on the NHS i think my sister knows the rate of how good the operation will work but if i can just find one or two people who have had it done on the NHS then it gives her something to fight with.

thanks anyway
12-03-2006, 10:00   #4
Jan39

Total Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by md1pts
hi there, has anyone on here either had or knows anyone who has had a female Sterilisation reversal on NHS, i have read that thi sis possible but according to my sisters GP it can not be done, if anyone knows of it been done on the NHS and is happy to provide me with some details of where and when it was done i can pass them on to my sister and hopefully it might help her to get hers done.

thanks
Some one I know had a reversal done over twenty years ago, after tragically losing one of her children, she was pregnant three months after the operation, and had no problems. I also know a person who had the reversal about two years ago, and it has not worked for her so far. the one done twenty+ years ago was done in Sheffield on the NHS
_______
try to keep positive,
Always look for the silver lining

Last edited by Jan39; 12-03-2006 at 13:50.
12-03-2006, 10:35   #5
md1pts

thanks so much for your reply it is really helpful anyone else who can help it would be great, thanks again

paul
12-03-2006, 11:06   #6
richt100

Total Posts: 62
I'm afraid that the reversal is not possible on the NHS (I used to work in the Jessop). When a lady wishes to be sterilised she should be told implicitly that it is not available, very sorry.
12-03-2006, 11:28   #7
Jan39

Total Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by richt100
I'm afraid that the reversal is not possible on the NHS (I used to work in the Jessop). When a lady wishes to be sterilised she should be told implicitly that it is not available, very sorry.
doesn't a person's reason for requesting a reversal come into it these day's, I can understand every one not being suitable.
_______
try to keep positive,
Always look for the silver lining
12-03-2006, 11:51   #8
taylor1

Total Posts: 114
Hi,
I have friend who is waiting for a referal from her doctor for a reversal as well.
Surely the NHS can't say no to everyone who wants this operation, I have spoken to quite a few women throughout the uk who have had reversals done through the nhs, so it is far from impossible, just quite rare!
Many women have good reasons for wanting this operation, many have lost children, some were in abusive relationships and a couple of women I have spoken to had diagnosed mental illnesses such as depression and post traumatic stress disorders!! In my opinion such circumstances should be taken into consideration. I know of women in Barnsley, Rotherham, Leeds, Birmingham and as far up as Scotland that have all had this done through the Nhs, so please tell your sister not to give up, the chances may be slim but there IS a chance!!
good luck
12-03-2006, 21:42   #9
md1pts

come on people of sheffield someone must know someone who has had this done all these people on here. i need your help asap

cheers
12-03-2006, 21:55   #10
mistyraven

Total Posts: 2,210
Send a message via MSN to mistyraven
A friend of mine had this done and had two children and yes on the nh. she also had her boobs done on nh that was about five years ago.
_______
'Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.'
13-03-2006, 06:01   #11
md1pts

hi thanks for your reply do you know where she had it done which area or hospital am much info would be really helpful.

thanks
13-03-2006, 07:58   #12
willman
WYSIWYG

Total Posts: 18,160
Send a message via ICQ to willman Send a message via MSN to willman
why not try going private,they dont care about anything if you can pay (usually).
13-03-2006, 20:57   #13
md1pts

if she was able to pay for it private she would but it would cost around 3,000 so it is not possible that way. Hopefully someone out there must be able to help with some information

cheers
13-03-2006, 21:20   #14
mistyraven

Total Posts: 2,210
Send a message via MSN to mistyraven
md1pts I have pmd you .
_______
'Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.'
14-03-2006, 20:14   #15
md1pts

anyone else out there with any info can you get back asap

thanks
16-03-2006, 09:26   #16
md1pts

come on everyone there must be someone out there that has either had this done or knows someone who has, get back to me asap. PM me if that is easier for you.

cheers
16-03-2006, 09:51   #17
spud

Total Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by md1pts
if she was able to pay for it private she would but it would cost around 3,000 so it is not possible that way. Hopefully someone out there must be able to help with some information

cheers

Not possible for you to find Three grand. Christ how are you going to afford to bring up a child... dont tell me let me guess
16-03-2006, 19:07   #18
taylor1

Total Posts: 114
Tut, Tut, Tut,
Spud you sound a little single minded there
You wouldn't be assuming that everyone who is unable to raise that sort of money are benefit scroungers would you???? Maybe have a child and let the state pay for it???
My friend is also waiting on a referral for this operation on the nhs, she has a husband that works very hard and they do not claim a penny in benefits, and still are unable to get that kind of money together!!!!!!
Many women have gone on to have children after a reversal paid for by the NHS, why don't you go to the "mothers 35+" website and ask them who pays for their children!!!!!!
16-03-2006, 20:23   #19
spud

Total Posts: 278
I hate the words benefit scroungers.

If your friend cannot find three grand then I still don't understand how they can afford to have a child and then support it for 18+ years and I don't see why the tax payers should pay for the reversal. If there so intent on having children why not try fostering
16-03-2006, 20:35   #20
StarSparkle
Still Sparkling

Total Posts: 11,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by spud
I hate the words benefit scroungers.

If your friend cannot find three grand then I still don't understand how they can afford to have a child and then support it for 18+ years and I don't see why the tax payers should pay for the reversal. If there so intent on having children why not try fostering
Perhaps you'd like to tell us here on the Forum how you would raise three thousand pounds so quickly/effortlessly then?

And fostering is hardly the same as having your own children. Your insensitivity takes my breath away.

StarSparkle
Reply To Topic