DWP money owed to them

Would any one be able to clarify, if money is owed to the DWP from 13 years ago.Would this still have to be paid back even though you dont believe you owe it.I have been advised by the DWP they would not be able to take this to court as it is years old, but they would be able to send a debt collector and I would be blacklisted?.

I have been advised by the DWP they would not be able to take this to court as it is years old, but they would be able to send a debt collector and I would be blacklisted?.

That doesn't make sense. Why send a debt collector for a debt that's unenforeceable in court? And there's no such thing as a blacklist. A proven debt might affect your credit rating but that's not a blacklist.

Write to them. At the head of your letter write 'without prejudice' put these two words on any further communication that you have with them as it means that it cannot be used as evidence in court.

Ask them for documentation regarding the 'alleged' debt and the exact amount. Again the word 'alleged' is important as it means that you are not accepting any responsibility for the debt.

Once you have their proof you can then decide what action you choose to take.

If they have no evidence there is no problem.

If you accept the debt as yours and choose to repay it you can enter into an agreement and pay off so much a month according to your circumstances.

Do not be panicked or bullied by their letters that is what they are hoping for. Stay in communication with them but do it in writing or if you email send hard copy and if you are emailing again use the words 'alleged' and 'without prejudice'.

Legal bit can be found here....http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/58

Hope that helps.

Edited by Miss Creant

Would any one be able to clarify, if money is owed to the DWP from 13 years ago.Would this still have to be paid back even though you dont believe you owe it.I have been advised by the DWP they would not be able to take this to court as it is years old, but they would be able to send a debt collector and I would be blacklisted?.

I wouldnt pay it no way not after 13 years ago, sounds like they are trying to scare u into paying

I wouldnt pay it no way not after 13 years ago, sounds like they are trying to scare u into paying

Some debts can't be enforced after 6 years. The OP needs some debt advice to see if he can just refuse to pay.

thats what i told our lass ,more chance of knitting fog than getting 700 notes of us ,but iv'e heard owt owed after 6 years and they can't claim it back

thats what i told our lass ,more chance of knitting fog than getting 700 notes of us ,but iv'e heard owt owed after 6 years and they can't claim it back

That's not true of all debts though so google Sheffield Debt Advice and see if it can be recovered.

Do you have the name of the person who threatened to have your name put on a credit 'blacklist'?

If so, why not report that individual. For 'demanding money with menaces'?

I had a similar issue with the Inland Revenue a couple of weeks ago.

This year they sent me a self-assessment tax reminder for the first time ever.

I rang them to query it because I've never been self employed, had any dividends or bonuses or anything on their list which would qualify me to do a tax return (I've been working in the public sector since 2002) for a decade before.

They claimed it was for an outstanding tax bill from 2002 but wouldn't say any more, I *had* to register for the self assessment site. A waste of almost two hours on the phone.

After hearing that awful sidekick of Chris Evans Moira Stewart on the radio ads threatening penalties of £100 a day I thought I'd better comply.

It turns out I did owe money. £16. Why on earth that hasn't been done through PAYE all those years ago I've no idea.

Anyway, I paid it last week.

On Saturday I got a letter from the Inland Revenue - "as a result of you filing your tax return online you have paid too much tax. We will alter your tax code and send you a refund in April. The refund will be in the region of £32".

Edited by alchresearch

I had a similar issue with the Inland Revenue a couple of weeks ago.

This year they sent me a self-assessment tax reminder for the first time ever.

I rang them to query it because I've never been self employed, had any dividends or bonuses or anything on their list (I've been working in the public sector since 2002).

They claimed it was for an outstanding tax bill from 2002 but wouldn't say any more, I *had* to register for the self assessment site. A waste of almost two hours on the phone.

After hearing that awful sidekick of Chris Evans Moira Stewart on the radio ads threatening penalties of £100 a day I thought I'd better comply.

It turns out I did owe money. £16. Why on earth that hasn't been done through PAYE all those years ago I've no idea.

Anyway, I paid it last week.

On Saturday I got a letter from the Inland Revenue - "as a result of you filing your tax return online you have paid too much tax. We will alter your tax code and send you a refund in April. The refund will be in the region of £32".

Double your money :D

Write to them. At the head of your letter write 'without prejudice' put these two words on any further communication that you have with them as it means that it cannot be used as evidence in court.

Ask them for documentation regarding the 'alleged' debt and the exact amount. Again the word 'alleged' is important as it means that you are not accepting any responsibility for the debt.

Once you have their proof you can then decide what action you choose to take.

If they have no evidence there is no problem.

If you accept the debt as yours and choose to repay it you can enter into an agreement and pay off so much a month according to your circumstances.

Do not be panicked or bullied by their letters that is what they are hoping for. Stay in communication with them but do it in writing or if you email send hard copy and if you are emailing again use the words 'alleged' and 'without prejudice'.

Legal bit can be found here....http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/58

Hope that helps.

Thank you, this is really useful info. I did state in my conversation with them it was an alleged debt and I believed I did not owe this money.