Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Ringtons Tea Delivery Man

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

18-01-2012, 13:26   #1
tasha_78_1

Total Posts: 523
I saw a Ringtons Tea Van delivering to a house near us the other dy. Brought back some memories. Didn`t know they were still around. My Mum used to have Ringtons when I was a girl in the late 50`s
18-01-2012, 15:11   #2
sharrovian

Total Posts: 327
A Ringtons man called at my house trying to get me to place an order only the other day but I didn't bother even though he was offering a box of biscuits as an incentive.
18-01-2012, 16:39   #3
PopT

Total Posts: 2,010
Great Tea. The Best!

PopT
18-01-2012, 16:41   #4
jelly belly

Total Posts: 223
you see a few knocking about,it is really quaint how he brings the tea in a basket.shame to left this tradition die out.
18-01-2012, 16:47   #5
smuffin

Total Posts: 59
Not only does the Rington's man bring tea every fortnight but he also brings biscuits, chocs and other lovely goodies. My husband bought me a teddy bear dressed as a delivery man last year from him Great
18-01-2012, 16:54   #6
neilwhit

Total Posts: 220
A teddy bear my missus has tea caddies,mugs ,teapots, and even bronzes of the horse and carts lol,its a good job it is nice tea,especially their extra-fresh which has a lovely caramel taste
18-01-2012, 17:30   #7
AuntieBiz

Total Posts: 381
Their tea is spot on, and the ginger biccies are lovely. I also think it's a great tradition. Apparently last year some of the Rington's Tea delivery chaps were the only people some elderly folk saw during the really bad weather, and apparently they went all out to get deliveries to snowbound folk. Good on em!
18-01-2012, 22:43   #8
Bethsmummy

Total Posts: 2,602
That was my dads first job in the mid sixties, I guess.
_______
Beth & Ellie. My big girl and my little miracle. My future
And now Joshua, My funny valentine 14/02/14
18-01-2012, 23:21   #9
julado
soup dragon

Total Posts: 5,262
Send a message via Skype™ to julado
One of their delivery vans used to deliver to me - I tried 3 varieties of their tea....awful...every one of them.

Suppose that's what I get for being a tea snob. I don't drink floor sweepings....never did, never will.
_______
A TRUE friend is someone who reaches for your hand....but touches your heart
A TRUE friend knows the song of your soul and will sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words

GOD is watching you...from a distance
19-01-2012, 03:57   #10
angrymumtwo

Total Posts: 173
There was a bit of a radio documentary on radio4 about Ringtons a couple of years ago, apparently they produce one of the teas for M&S
19-01-2012, 05:37   #11
Eli the Cat

Total Posts: 149
Mum has them deliver every fortnight. Choccy Mallows and orange tiffin too, - yeah. They have a website if you want to sign up for a delivery.
_______

Little Miss Curious. An eye for an eye will make the world blind. M Ghandi
19-01-2012, 16:17   #12
Cookingfat

Total Posts: 684
i live in chesterfield and we have a rigtons tea van comes round every week
19-01-2012, 16:58   #13
herbiegrass

Total Posts: 499
I love my Ringtons tea, best in the world.....
_______
PAUL DAY Countryside services
Trees pruned/felled..Hedges topped/trimmed. fencing.decking.paving.turfing.
free quotes and OAP discount
01909 519 675 / mobile 07909 743 488 www.pauldaycountryside.co.uk
19-01-2012, 19:21   #14
neilwhit

Total Posts: 220
is that darren
23-01-2012, 15:47   #15
smuffin

Total Posts: 59
I have a teapot and milk jug from around the forties has lovely pictures of grape vines, made by Melba ware with a ringtons stamp on the base.
Still love the tea
23-01-2012, 17:40   #16
tasha_78_1

Total Posts: 523
OOO yes smuffin, I do remember my Mum having a Ringtons teapot
25-01-2012, 12:05   #17
JACK HEWITT

Total Posts: 334
Send a message via AIM to JACK HEWITT
Anyone out there know the TRUE story of how Ringtons tea got started I drove for INGRAMS tea in the mid 60s and was told by the owner Ralph INGRAM that Mr Rington used to work for Ingrams but started up on his own taking a lot of Ingrams customers with him I don't quite know what year this took place but I was led to believe it could have been in the late 1800s there was quite a bit of rivalry between the two companies the drivers would get up to all sorts of misdemeanors if we came across each other on our rounds letting tyres down and that sort of thing I believe Ringtone depot was on Peter st Grimesthorpe and Ingrams was on Ecclesall rd in the 60s.
_______
IF YOUR BOB DUNT GIVE OUR BOB IS BOB BACK THEN OUR BOB WILL GIVE YOUR BOB A BOB IN EYE.
25-01-2012, 12:07   #18

Total Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha_78_1 View Post
I saw a Ringtons Tea Van delivering to a house near us the other dy. Brought back some memories. Didn`t know they were still around. My Mum used to have Ringtons when I was a girl in the late 50`s
My daughter used to have their tea,but everbody in their house was working so they would leave a packet on the back doorstep with the bill,eventually she stopped them the bill got a bit too much,she paid them up,but had plenty of tea,which she gave me the odd packet now and again it was certainly good tea. I rememer when a was a lot younger they had a warehouse on Ecclesall road and they delivered with a horse and trap type thing,which if you have one of their tea caddies there is a picture of one on it
26-01-2012, 06:40   #19
Pauline Bell

Total Posts: 76
Don't drink anything else. their coffee is good too I think it's good to try and keep old traditions going it's a pity the old corner shops have gone out of business, remember pierponts fruit shop on attercliffe common and the tripe shop? Banners money and Mum's cheques paid off weekly if they were lucky.
26-01-2012, 17:10   #20

Total Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauline Bell View Post
Don't drink anything else. their coffee is good too I think it's good to try and keep old traditions going it's a pity the old corner shops have gone out of business, remember pierponts fruit shop on attercliffe common and the tripe shop? Banners money and Mum's cheques paid off weekly if they were lucky.
Pierpoints fruit shop I do remember,I also did my courting round Attercliffe,ended up marrying a girl from Liverpool St,and remember shopping on the cliff with my then mother in law,Pierpoints was one of her favorite friut and veg, I went to Banners a lot of years ago with my own Mother,with the cheques as you said mainly for Witsontide clothes I also had a brother and sister, Banners was the first time I saw a escalator,memories momories
Reply To Topic