Cigarette smoke coming into house from next door, what can I do?

Next door to our house is a flat. The guy that has just moved in smokes like a chimney and it comes into our bedroom. Is there anything I can do to stop it. Do I have any rights at all in regards to getting the landlord to sort it out? I am in the process of blocking up any gaps I can find but as soon as I fill one it comes in somewhere else.

It is really starting to annoy me and has started to go into my little girls room.

Shoot him - I'm sorry, not very helpful I know, but I know how you feel. I'm that person who really hates cigarette smoke and can smell it from a mile-off. If I'm in traffic on my way to work, I can smell it coming from the car in front of me! Having a small child (presumably) I imagine it is quite frustrating - You want to protect the health of your child at any cost.

is it tobbacco smoke? If it is then i doubt there is anything you can do(at least whilst you're legally allowed to smoke in your own home!)

I imagine the first thing to do would be to have a word with this man-most people are basically decent and im sure that if he knew how badly it is affecting you,he would want to sort something out?

I'd do this sooner rather than later as the better weather will be with us soon,which,of course,means open windows! x x

Go down to your local reptile shop and buy a tube of 100 black crickets, used to feed spiders and small reptiles.

Pour the tube through his letterbox in the middle of the night, and by the next day he'll not have much time to stop for a fag as he tries to sort out the 100 trimphones all over his flat.

They breed well too, and are hard to kill with pesticides.

Shoot him - I'm sorry, not very helpful I know, but I know how you feel. I'm that person who really hates cigarette smoke and can smell it from a mile-off. If I'm in traffic on my way to work, I can smell it coming from the car in front of me! Having a small child (presumably) I imagine it is quite frustrating - You want to protect the health of your child at any cost.

Sympathise entirely and agree with the above but as gnomi says, not much you can do legally.

He seems very grumpy. Is suppose having a polite word with him might be the best we can do.

Yeah i'd i've a polite word too...even if you suggest he keeps his windows open through the day!!!!!

If that doesnt work you could always get in touch with the Enviromental Health and ask for advise...If they cant advise at least you have tried...GOOD LUCK and i hope you get the problem solved especially for you little girl:thumbsup:

keep blocking up the holes in the meantime (invest in a silicone gun and several tubes), surely you shouldn't really have many 'holes' through into next doors flat anyway.

Try living on a desert island--------unless the smsll of ozone upsets you too ?

Our old house had the same problem in our bedroom. Like Cyclone said, a silicon gun and a few tubes of silicon does the job. No idea what to do when you want to open a window though :?

Hmmmm. Surely the fabric of the building is hislandlord's responsiblillity?

As has been pointed out already, he has every right to smoke in his own home (unless his contract says otherwise ;) ), so it's the responsibility of his landlord to ensure that the building he's renting out is sound?

Is there a chimney in your bedroom btw? sometimes the chimney is shared between 2 properties, and can cause some odd draughts even when supposedly bricked up.

turn your bedroom into a public place, then from next year he will have to stand outside lol