St Hilda's due for imminent Demolition

Hi I am concerned that we are about to lose yet another great building. St Hilda's Parish Church on Windmill Lane in the Wincobank / Firth Park / Shiregreen area is due for imminent demolition. Owned by the Anglican Church the last services were held in 2007 and I guess due to dwindling numbers was closed. No other use has been found for this quite classic dominant red brick building which is without a doubt a stunning part of our local landscape. There are few buildings of note in this area and although I appreciate the Church may have no use for it. I do not understand why another use cannot be found in order to preserve a part of the local heritage. I have set up a website and petition (go petition). If you feel you would like to support halting the demolition of St Hilda's and support finding an alternative use please have a look at the site and show your support now. Time is of the essence. Once gone it is lost forever.Thank you HS59

It would help if you put a link up to the site

It would help if you put a link up to the site

hi i cant as i have not yet made 5 posts - so i tried to put clues in there instead sorry its (sthildas.webs.com)

what a shame we was all christend in that church.

and now signed good luck.

Edited by carol green

Hi I am concerned that we are about to lose yet another great building. St Hilda's Parish Church on Windmill Lane in the Wincobank / Firth Park / Shiregreen area is due for imminent demolition. Owned by the Anglican Church the last services were held in 2007 and I guess due to dwindling numbers was closed. No other use has been found for this quite classic dominant red brick building which is without a doubt a stunning part of our local landscape. There are few buildings of note in this area and although I appreciate the Church may have no use for it. I do not understand why another use cannot be found in order to preserve a part of the local heritage. I have set up a website and petition (go petition). If you feel you would like to support halting the demolition of St Hilda's and support finding an alternative use please have a look at the site and show your support now. Time is of the essence. Once gone it is lost forever.Thank you HS59

Sorry HS59 but from Firth Park the back of St Hilda's is stunningly ugly. When I first moved to FP I thought it was a factory. It is beautifully simple inside as I went to the odd service there. Haven't walked that way for a while so don't know what condition it's in. It was always a target for mindless vandalism and unless an immediate use could be found for it that could afford far better security think it would easily become a wreck.

Edited by dhs1
spelling

It's always a wrench when a familiar building disappears, but if no use has been found for it since 2007, and it is clearly attracting vandalism and appears to have suffered considerable water ingress, I suspect you would need to have a costed plan of works and a definite new purpose for the building to stop the demolition at this stage.

A proposal rather than a petition would be more effective if you want to save the building. How would you like to see the building used? Who would pay to make good the damage it has already suffered? Who would take over the responsibility for it?

It's always a wrench when a familiar building disappears, but if no use has been found for it since 2007, and it is clearly attracting vandalism and appears to have suffered considerable water ingress, I suspect you would need to have a costed plan of works and a definite new purpose for the building to stop the demolition at this stage.

A proposal rather than a petition would be more effective if you want to save the building. How would you like to see the building used? Who would pay to make good the damage it has already suffered? Who would take over the responsibility for it?

Hi I totally agree - however at this late stage the first step is to gather enough support from local people to show the Church Commission that there is genuine interest. For them to hang fire and give it a chance to gather momentum. I have no idea how hard those responsible have tried to find an alternative use - there has been no local consultation. I fact if it wasnt for a local historian who reads the occasional (slightly obscure) national church hertiage newsletter we would only know about it when the bulldozers arrive. We have known about this for a matter of weeks. Those involved so far are already working on putting together a proposal - gaining support from councillors and looking at the funding available from the Prince of Wales Trust / Heritage Trust etc. There are a number of important organisations behind this to inlcude the 20th Century Society, The Friends of Friendless Churches, The Heritage Society, The Victorian Society amoung others. All with a wealth of experience and advice to offer. There is no simple solution especially in this current economic climate - but even if a use is found to tide the building over for a number of years uintil funding is more readily avilable - it's so worth doing. There is no doubt that this building is worth saving - damage is superficial - the building was built to survive at least abother 100 years unlike many of the comtemporary newbuilds we have around us. Any support or advice would be invaluable. I also feel there is a certain belief that as the area isnt seen as afluent the opnion is we we dont appreicate what we have. In a more affluent area this building would not be being pulled down. Please get involved if you feel St Hilda's is worth saving.

Just signed the petition, it would be a shame to see it go, although we no longer live in the area I was christened there and my husband and I were married there a few (cough*) years ago.