Sheffield Forum

Service station open xmas day

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

12-12-2011, 23:21   #1
captain80-84

Total Posts: 61
i cant believe that the service station on wordsworth avenue has been told they must open xmas day, i was glad to sign the petition for them to boycott this, as how many people would use it on this day, we can easily fill up before... let these people spend the day with there families for godsake.
13-12-2011, 00:52   #2
ECCOnoob

Total Posts: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain80-84 View Post
i cant believe that the service station on wordsworth avenue has been told they must open xmas day, i was glad to sign the petition for them to boycott this, as how many people would use it on this day, we can easily fill up before... let these people spend the day with there families for godsake.
Errm not everyone is going to be spending a day with their families. Some people by choice or force will be out and about driving around as usual.

Taxi drivers? Shift workers? Xmas day retail, hotel and leisure workers? Drivers commencing or ending long journies to and from their families?

Even perhaps Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Athiests just going about their usual business?? The world does not stop for everyone on Christmas day you know. Some people DO have to travel about even on Turkey Dinner day?
13-12-2011, 02:12   #3
captain80-84

Total Posts: 61
As you have quite rightly pointed out hindus,jews, muslims and athiests dont celebrate xmas, so a driver out on the road who may indeed find him/herself short on fuel may google a servive station which is open xmas day which is run by one of these groups stated above, now is that just me thinking logically and using my common sense or should everyone who drives whatever type of road vehicle possess? so really this service station inparticular does not need to open xmas day! and as for the comment the world does not stop for xmas, just to let you know i work in a hospital(it is my career choice and im happy with it) looking after very sick people and as a matter of fact i myself worked xmas day last year 07.00 til 19.30 so dont tell me about the world stopping for xmas thankfully im off this xmas to spend with my family but alas am working the night shift on new years eve. What will you be doing new years eve..... do i really need to guess.
13-12-2011, 07:33   #4
Donkey lover

Total Posts: 500
Quote:
As you have quite rightly pointed out hindus,jews, muslims and athiests dont celebrate xmas, so a driver out on the road who may indeed find him/herself short on fuel may google a servive station which is open xmas day which is run by one of these groups stated above, now is that just me thinking logically and using my common sense or should everyone who drives whatever type of road vehicle possess? so really this service station inparticular does not need to open xmas day! and as for the comment the world does not stop for xmas, just to let you know i work in a hospital(it is my career choice and im happy with it) looking after very sick people and as a matter of fact i myself worked xmas day last year 07.00 til 19.30 so dont tell me about the world stopping for xmas thankfully im off this xmas to spend with my family but alas am working the night shift on new years eve. What will you be doing new years eve..... do i really need to guess.
I'd quite happily sign a petition to force the hospitals to close Xmas day.

People in the service industry really shouldn't be surprised to be expected to offer that service 365. Sorry love but you really have no arguement.
13-12-2011, 07:34   #5
Tess
The game.

Total Posts: 8,060
Can they not just arrange for someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas to cover....?
_______
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, with a body thoroughly used up and totally worn out, screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride!"
13-12-2011, 08:06   #6
foxydebs

Total Posts: 2,604
Send a message via MSN to foxydebs
yes some people may not celebrate christmas or be visiting relatives like us, but i guess its too much to ask to expect them to fill up the day before or a couple of days before. There are too many people nowadays that are selfish and walk round in a bubble unaware of other people.
13-12-2011, 08:17   #7
Donkey lover

Total Posts: 500
Ah, the beauty of forward planning. Doesn't always work out like that though does it?

Let's say that on Xmas day I get a call that a close relative is in hospital at the other end of the country. Expecting to be able to fill up would make me selfish in your world.

I win.
Sponsored Links
13-12-2011, 08:43   #8
auto98uk
Lost the Game

Total Posts: 10,857
What good is filling up beforehand if the distance you have to go and come back from means you are going to have to fill up? I travelled to London and back on christmans day a couple of years ago, not sure how I would have managed it without a garage being open.
_______
Hail Pacifica
13-12-2011, 09:49   #9
spooferman

Total Posts: 2,516
Quote:
could this be classed as advertising
13-12-2011, 12:37   #10
richkent

Total Posts: 220
Presumably the staff there have an employment contract which states their working hours/days and holiday entitlement. If it states that they have to work bank holidays then they can't complain. If it doesn't then they can't be made to work that day.
13-12-2011, 13:07   #11
ratter71

Total Posts: 865
We have to fill up with diesel daily, including xmas day, new years day etc. Not really an option to fill up before hand.
_______
My sig has been stolen!

Last edited by ratter71; 13-12-2011 at 14:13. Reason: i got pedantic about my own spelling
13-12-2011, 13:19   #12
Grandad.Malky

Total Posts: 18,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter71 View Post
We have to fill up with diesel daily, including xmas day, new years day ect. Not really an option to fill up before hand.
You must do a lot of miles if you cant go one day without filling ………. But that’s not the point, many of these petrol stations are convenience stores and there is always a demand for those.
_______
Q: What is conservatism? A: Conservatism is the domination of society by an aristocracy
13-12-2011, 13:58   #13
Gazza58

Total Posts: 10,834
Im guessing the staff will get paid double time,so they should ask for volunteers first.
_______
Lest We Forget 1914-1918.
13-12-2011, 17:14   #14
big_g

Total Posts: 1,599
Unfortunately, many outlets are now open on Christmas day.

I have used a petrol station on Christmas day before - had a chat with the person behind the counter who said he had had quite a few customers.

Our local 'corner' shop is also open - a Spar.

Whilst I'm not working this Christmas day, I have done in the past. I'd much prefer not to but it comes with the job.

Do you know if the people at the Wordsworth Avenue filling station are getting paid extra?
13-12-2011, 17:20   #15
CeeCee

Total Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandad.Malky View Post
You must do a lot of miles if you cant go one day without filling ………. But that’s not the point, many of these petrol stations are convenience stores and there is always a demand for those.
They are probably a taxi driver bus driver etc aren't they so its not unusual to need to fill up more often
13-12-2011, 17:26   #16
Shemma

Total Posts: 9
The problem with working Christmas day is that people are made to work who don't have a choice, such as waitresses. Usually people who would rather spend the day with their families would get sacked if they refused to come in. I understand services such as hospitals etc should be open but if one shop opens, over the years all of them will. It's about competitive business.
13-12-2011, 17:33   #17
alchresearch

Total Posts: 25,407
Send a message via Yahoo to alchresearch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemma View Post
The problem with working Christmas day is that people are made to work who don't have a choice, such as waitresses. Usually people who would rather spend the day with their families would get sacked if they refused to come in. I understand services such as hospitals etc should be open but if one shop opens, over the years all of them will. It's about competitive business.
The staff I've spoken to about Xmas love the triple or quadruple time they get, as well as tips.

I have sympathy for any real Christians who are forced to work on the holiest of days (or is that Easter Sunday?), but for many its just a family get together and pig out while watching the TV, there's nothing more religious about that than a regular Sunday.

With regards to the OP and petrol stations, the guys who tirelessly man these 24x7 are usually Asian so I imagine Jesus's birthday doesn't mean that much to them.

Yes, I'm sad that the religious meaning of Xmas is pretty much dead now, but so is the notion of a white Christian church-going Britain, you can't have it both ways.
13-12-2011, 17:48   #18
Chez2

Total Posts: 3,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto98uk View Post
What good is filling up beforehand if the distance you have to go and come back from means you are going to have to fill up? I travelled to London and back on christmans day a couple of years ago, not sure how I would have managed it without a garage being open.
Crikey! What car do you drive? My car has a 2.2L engine and does around 500 miles on a full tank. I must admit I never run mine empty though. When I used to drive 200 -300 miles a day I twice went into a motorway service station and found they had run out of diesel!

Can't garages use pay at the pump without someone being in the kiosk?
13-12-2011, 17:51   #19
ratter71

Total Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez2 View Post

Can't garages use pay at the pump without someone being in the kiosk?
Because they would loose £££££ from fleet divers
_______
My sig has been stolen!
13-12-2011, 17:55   #20
swfc4life96

Total Posts: 130
when i went to scotland earlier this year i went to a asda filling station although it was a pay at pump only no kiosk what so ever
Reply To Topic