Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Secondary catchment areas map?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

17-11-2011, 15:01   #1
Hessian32

Total Posts: 41
I'm looking into moving house quite shortly and need the new house to be in a decent catchment area. I'm finding it very difficult to search on rightmove etc as I can't find any information to show how the catchment area borders lie.

So far all I can come up with is going to the council website here and checking each house one by one (it doesn't work half the time anyway).

https://eduplugins.sheffield.gov.uk/...atchments.aspx

Does anyone know a better way? For example catchment area maps?

Thanks in advance.
17-11-2011, 19:11   #2
gnvqsos

Total Posts: 11,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hessian32 View Post
I'm looking into moving house quite shortly and need the new house to be in a decent catchment area. I'm finding it very difficult to search on rightmove etc as I can't find any information to show how the catchment area borders lie.

So far all I can come up with is going to the council website here and checking each house one by one (it doesn't work half the time anyway).

https://eduplugins.sheffield.gov.uk/...atchments.aspx

Does anyone know a better way? For example catchment area maps?

Thanks in advance.
I think you will find the areas are fluid and will alter from time to time.Why not claim that you are moving to say Whirlowdale Road and phone the local schoold to detrmine whether they will accept you-employ a little subtefuge/deceit.
17-11-2011, 21:58   #3
LUVSHEFFIELD

Total Posts: 92
I'm not entirely sure that living in the catchment area is a gaurantee that you will obtain a place at your desired school. The criteria often changes. It would be prudent to check with the Local Authority.
17-11-2011, 22:28   #4
jgharston

Total Posts: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnvqsos View Post
I think you will find the areas are fluid and will alter from time to time.
They're very definitely not fluid or changed from time to time, as there's always uproar when the council stubbonly refuses to change catchment areas.

The map here shows Sheffield's catchment areas, you have to select each cluster to show the individual maps, and unfortunately, they are outline maps. I can dig through my old council papers and see if I can find my propery catchment street map.
_______
Jonathan Harston is no longer a member of Sheffield City Council and any statement he makes is entirely his own opinion.
17-11-2011, 22:32   #5
Frazer1974

Total Posts: 673
It rather depends what you regard as being important when looking for a school.

For example, I would rather cut off one of my fingers than have my children go to some of the stuck-up schools in S10!
_______
Is it Hammer time yet?
17-11-2011, 22:41   #6
sibon
Attraction

Total Posts: 15,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazer1974 View Post
It rather depends what you regard as being important when looking for a school.

For example, I would rather cut off one of my fingers than have my children go to some of the stuck-up schools in S10!
There are considerably more people who would give you a digit, or a limb to get their kids into those schools.

Maybe you should start a website to swap appendages.
_______
These are dangerous amusements
18-11-2011, 12:44   #7
gnvqsos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgharston View Post
They're very definitely not fluid or changed from time to time, as there's always uproar when the council stubbonly refuses to change catchment areas.

The map here shows Sheffield's catchment areas, you have to select each cluster to show the individual maps, and unfortunately, they are outline maps. I can dig through my old council papers and see if I can find my propery catchment street map.
How do they respond to demographic shifts and to the fact that many schools are oversubscribed even if they only take those in their catchment.
18-11-2011, 12:47   #8
gnvqsos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgharston View Post

The maps are based on feeder schools but make no clear reference ro agiven street or postcode making them a bit nebulous for those on the margins.What about city centre residents?
18-11-2011, 14:20   #9
scousemouse

Total Posts: 1,558
I don't think where you live counts anymore for schools in the area. Silverdale I think, ships kids in from across the city. I know someone who lives in the Beauchief area, Abbey Lane would be the nearest school yet her son has to go to Bradway. She has a car, but it would be a nightmare to get there if she didn't drive
28-11-2011, 15:52   #10
Hessian32

Total Posts: 41
Thank you jgharston, that is really helpful. Even though they are outline maps it is easy enough to search rightmove by primary school. I will be bookmarking that page!
28-11-2011, 16:36   #11
Dizzyblonde

Total Posts: 1,541
The only thing to bear in mind is that since 2004 some of the schools are no longer open. In Cluster I for example Abbeydale Grange secondary is no longer open, so the feeder schools would now feed somewhere else. There have been a few other changes, but I dont know them all to list.
_______
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom too?" (Douglas Adams)
29-11-2011, 04:41   #12
rapido

Total Posts: 448
I would have thought that you'd be able to get this information from the council?
29-11-2011, 05:46   #13
DerbyTup

Total Posts: 2,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousemouse View Post
I don't think where you live counts anymore for schools in the area. Silverdale I think, ships kids in from across the city. I know someone who lives in the Beauchief area, Abbey Lane would be the nearest school yet her son has to go to Bradway. She has a car, but it would be a nightmare to get there if she didn't drive
That's not true scousemouse, but I understand why some people might think that.

The first priority is given to children who are in care. The second priority is catchment area. The third, having a sibling at the same school. Proximity to school is also important and whether you can walk/drive there. There are others, but this is how it is arrived at, so "catchment area" is still very important.

With the closure of some schools, like Abbeydale Grange, the pupils from there had to be sent somewhere so a number of schools take their share. There are a fair number of kids from more deprived areas that are bused around the city to various schools as well.

The OP on here would do well to decide which 2 or 3 schools he/she most favours. If we are talking about state schools rather than private ones there are maybe 4 or 5 very good ones in the city. They all offer something slightly different as well. Some are good for music/drama/arts, some are good for maths/sciences etc.

If you aren't already in the catchment area it could be a very expensive exercise to move house. The better schools tend to be in the more expensive areas of the city. It depends what importance you place on it?

School league tables don't tell the full story but children are very influenced by their peer group more than their teachers or parents. So, if your kid is going to a rough school in a run-down area, even if they are very bright, they've got less of a chance of doing well than if they are educated somewhere else.

There are exceptions of course - and many of them. But if you can afford it then choosing a good school will give your kid a better chance of a good start in life and catchment area is VERY important.
29-11-2011, 06:34   #14
growup

Total Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousemouse View Post
My understanding of the catchment areas in sheffield are they are like triangles coming, so some people may live quite a distance from a school but still be in the catchment area. I was told this was to give everyone a chance of getting into some of the 'better' schools in the city and not purely because people can afford to live in a certain area.
02-12-2011, 20:36   #15
sugarcandie

Total Posts: 197
Think you'll all find with the introduction of our new academies all previous rules/regs are out thewindow and if your child is "good enough" and has a supporting family the school/academy might accept them
03-12-2011, 07:21   #16
rachgee

Total Posts: 194
There is a tool on the Sheffield council website that you type in a road name / postcode and it will tell you the catchment area schools ( both primary and secondary).

Be mindful of the advice above, your not guaranteed a place evening catchment areas (although secondary are a little bit better than junior).
I would also read the schools ofsted report, as there are a wide variety of schools offering different things.
03-12-2011, 07:24   #17
BHRemovals

Total Posts: 1,171
you also need to be a pushy parent being in a catchment area dont always mean you will get a school of your choice
_______
Broomhill Removals - Man and Van, Sheffield to anywhere in the UK - 0114 266 0829

Visit our website www.broomhillremovals.com
03-12-2011, 11:57   #18
Ickle Ed

Total Posts: 145
Catholic schools also have different catchment areas. Notre Dame and All Saints cover half the city each. Both are outstanding schools.
Catholic Primary schools aslo have larger catchment areas than most other primaries. The council will also be able to give you advice on these.
Reply To Topic