Wearing liberty bodices in the 1950s

Can you remember liberty bodices for girls, short trousers for boys, and what you wore to school in the 1950s?

Edited by GOLDEN OLDIE

Can you remember liberty bodices for girls, short trousers for boys, and what you wore to school in the 1950s?

Liberty bodices had squashy rubber buttons.

The buttons on the liberty bodice took forever to fasten, I was glad when my mum decided I was too old to wear them.

Short trousers nearly down to the knees. Long grey woolly socks that turn over at the top with a couple of coloured stripes. Home knitted ill fitting jumpers Small caps with great big peaks Elastic snake belts . A bit like the hovis advert really.

Short trousers with braces, socks that rarely stayed up, and a black blazer with little burnt dots on the sleeves, created by focusing sunlight through a "burning glass" (magnifying lens). In contrast with today's school regulations, the pockets would contain, amongst many other things, a knife for sharpening pencils, and we'd be in trouble if we had no knife.

My grandkids are fascinated by the blue marks under the skin of my knees caused by coming off my bike and ploughing up the gravel regularly I took the skin off the back my thumb more than once using a catapult My mum once bought me some crepe soled shoes and I wore them out in one night playing football on the street.

If you had crepe sole shoes if you wore them enough did you notice that they became bigger than the shoe.

If you had crepe sole shoes if you wore them enough did you notice that they became bigger than the shoe.

That's true and, didn't you trip up a lot in crepe soles, we used to call them "chuck you" shoes.

Short trousers nearly down to the knees. Long grey woolly socks that turn over at the top with a couple of coloured stripes. Home knitted ill fitting jumpers Small caps with great big peaks Elastic snake belts . A bit like the hovis advert really.

How about the home made knitted socks, then darned with one of wooden mushrooms .:hihi:

@ Poppins I had a pair of those football boots that came right round past your ankles with leather studs. Those along with the leather caseballs particularly when they were old and soggy and wet gave you legs like pit props . Made us a bit tougher than these ballet dancers kicking balloons around today.

Bicycle stocking they called them long stockings and your underpants didn't have elastic around the top they had loops you put your bracers through..

The first trousers I remember that where made for a belt and not bracers, in the American style, were called slacks....

Edited by grinder

ihated having to wear a liberty bodice