Lord Haw Haw (William Joyce)

Quick question regarding Lord Haw Haw (William Joyce).

Did he at any time live in Sheffield? Someone this weekend swore blind he lived in Crookes, I'd never heard this before and doubt it's true.

So, apart from promising to level the city, did Lord Haw Haw have any ties to Sheffield?

I know he was caught by a bloke called Lickerish who kept the Little John pub in Hathersage After the war.

My grandma used to say that her dad taught lord haw haw how to swim at glossop rd baths.

William Joyce was born in New York. As a child his family moved to Ireland, then at the age of 15 he and his family moved to London. Two weeks before the outbreak of WW2, he fled to Berlin, where he lived, working for the Nazi's until just before the end of the war.

He moved to Hamburg to avoid the allies, but was shot and wounded in the leg in a forested area near Flensburg. On being captured and returned to London,he was tried and executed for his crimes. There seems to be no reference to him having lived in Sheffield.

Quick question regarding Lord Haw Haw (William Joyce).

Did he at any time live in Sheffield? Someone this weekend swore blind he lived in Crookes, I'd never heard this before and doubt it's true.

So, apart from promising to level the city, did Lord Haw Haw have any ties to Sheffield?

So how come he got to swim up and down Glossop Road baths? Gaaiirmany calling, Gaaiirmany calling.

That was me doing my swimming lessons but I used to call myself lord or or which meant i could swim one length OR two OR none

Lord Haw Haw's real name was William Joyce. He was captured in March or April in 1945 in Northern Germany by British troops. I don't know what Regiment was involved in the capture but it might have been one of the Yorkshire Regiments which might explain a Sheffield connection. There are quite a few things which are shrouded in mystery. After we were bombed out in 1940, we went to live in Ashford near Bakewell. There was a woman there visiting the family living in a house known as the Rookery. It was Unity Mitford who was a well known Nazi sympathizer. She was supposed to be in prison. All the villages knew who she was, but you will find no mention of it anywhere in stuff you read.

Lord Haw Haw's real name was William Joyce. He was captured in March or April in 1945 in Northern Germany by British troops. I don't know what Regiment was involved in the capture but it might have been one of the Yorkshire Regiments which might explain a Sheffield connection. There are quite a few things which are shrouded in mystery. After we were bombed out in 1940, we went to live in Ashford near Bakewell. There was a woman there visiting the family living in a house known as the Rookery. It was Unity Mitford who was a well known Nazi sympathizer. She was supposed to be in prison. All the villages knew who she was, but you will find no mention of it anywhere in stuff you read.
Could it be she was visiting her sister Deborah Duchess of Devonshire?

Could it be she was visiting her sister Deborah Duchess of Devonshire?

I didn't know about the Duchess being her sister. I'm sure that this explains it. My original point being that things happen that the public is kept in the dark about. Thanks for providing a logical answer.

many years ago I new someone (a speaker from from speakers corner hyde park}who was in wandsworth prison the same time as william joyce.

who allways swore joyce was not a traitor but was a double agent who was betrayed:)

I didn't know about the Duchess being her sister. I'm sure that this explains it. My original point being that things happen that the public is kept in the dark about. Thanks for providing a logical answer.

Unity Mitford was not in prison, her sister Diana was.