Your message here

James Neill Tools Summerfield Street

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

15-01-2007, 08:55   #61
eileent

Total Posts: 42
My mum worked there in the 1940's[during the war]
I can remember Winston Churchill visiting and I seemed to be the only one in our neighbourhood that didn't go to see him[silly me]
15-03-2007, 17:01   #62
NETTIEJ

Total Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagill View Post
I worked 'in the offices' from 1973 to 1984. And for the last 15 years have run one of the Neill companies based in Woodseats.
It is certainly a very different company today from when I started and changed radically after the acquisition of Spear and Jackson in the mid-80's.

There were ceratinly many family dynasties in my early days - I recall the Greatorexes, Wainwrights, Jessops. I was always told that this was encouraged by the owners.
The other aspect was the long service put in by many employees. There were plenty who only ever worked there. I recall two employees receiving 50-year service badges. Even today there are many who have put in 35+ years.
There was a history of the company published in 1989 to celebrate 100 years with anecdotes from long serving employees like Tommy Watkinson (toolroom), Edna Hatch (ETD), Ruth Jarman ('offices'), George Palfreyman (shipping), Joan Cross (warehouse).
I worked in Customer Services Department 1974/1978. Names I remember are Don Bates, Beatrice Nutton, Chris Barlow, Sally Lee. I remember quite a few others but can only remember their first names. Jack, Steve, Mary, Hilda Betty Oh and there was Eileen Howsden. So many years ago but great memories.
16-03-2007, 18:01   #63
Keelycam

Total Posts: 55
My mum used to work at Neils until around 1974 her name was Karen Senior (offices)
16-03-2007, 18:22   #64
NETTIEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keelycam View Post
My mum used to work at Neils until around 1974 her name was Karen Senior (offices)
It was 1974 when I started working there. I'm afraid I can't remember your mum's name. I have just remembered Jack's surname. He was called Jack Mallet.
17-03-2007, 19:39   #65
Yerman

Total Posts: 190
Keeleycam,

I remember your mother well. In fact, I worked with her. She was 'Miss James Neill' in 1974 (or thereabouts). Her sisters and mother also worked there.

Nettiej,

'Steve' may have been Steve Chaytors, 'Hilda' Hilda Eason and 'Betty' Betty Ledger. Others around at that time included Gerald Brown, Sue Brailey, Sharon Thorpe and Wendy Dawn.
17-03-2007, 21:39   #66
Keelycam

yerman,
yes she was Miss James Neil, Ive told her about this site she's gonna have a proper read of it when i see her monday. her mom an sisters did work there as well. small world isnt it.
18-03-2007, 06:00   #67
Yerman

Keelycam

There was recently a thread about Neill's Nymphs ladies football team. Your mother was a member of that team. She could probably recall the names of other members.
Sponsored Links
18-03-2007, 11:56   #68
Keelycam

cheers Yerman, i'll have a look for that.
20-03-2007, 20:32   #69
NETTIEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yerman View Post
Keeleycam,

I remember your mother well. In fact, I worked with her. She was 'Miss James Neill' in 1974 (or thereabouts). Her sisters and mother also worked there.

Nettiej,

'Steve' may have been Steve Chaytors, 'Hilda' Hilda Eason and 'Betty' Betty Ledger. Others around at that time included Gerald Brown, Sue Brailey, Sharon Thorpe and Wendy Dawn.
Great thanks I remember Gerald Brown he was the manager of Customer Services, and I remember Sue Brailey. I can see all their faces but cannot put names to them. I will have to get my wedding photographs out there is a group photo with all the girls on, maybe that will help me remember the names

Last edited by NETTIEJ; 22-06-2007 at 12:00.
09-04-2007, 05:40   #70
cdcreative

Total Posts: 29
Hi

I've been reading through people's posts on this thread and found them great! I am doing a bit of a history project about the place I work which is on Bernard Road. It's now called the Megacentre but it was formerly owned by Spear & Jackson until they were taken over by James Neill in the mid-80's.

I am trying to find out any information about the history of the building, who worked there, when it was closed, how many people worked there, what they manufactured etc...

In particular I am wanting any photos of either the outside of the building or the inside with people at work. I want to post an industrial archive section on our website and would really appreciate any help anyone could offer.

Kindest regards
09-04-2007, 10:41   #71
Questor

Total Posts: 6
Hiya Chuffinell, my Dad worked at Neills for as long as I can remember as a surface grinder. His name was George Wass and he was good mates with Mr Ardron. I remember him talking about him having a daughter who was "reyt beautiful" and was gooin in fodem beauty contests. We lived on Summerfield St and I used to sit on the chip-shop step on the corner of Parliament St waiting for him to come home from work when I was a nipper. He retired in 1976 and died in Feb 1979, I still miss him. Questor.
12-04-2007, 14:47   #72
chayt

Total Posts: 1
The steve was steve Chaytors I left james neill in1980 and moved around quite a bit. eventually ended up at Mastercraft tools (Spiralux) and the company was bought by Neills. Still around have been holiday rep for last 5years currently working in Tenerife.Lots of names I remember with lots of memories
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yerman View Post
Keeleycam,

Nettiej,

12-04-2007, 15:53   #73
NETTIEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayt View Post
The steve was steve Chaytors I left james neill in1980 and moved around quite a bit. eventually ended up at Mastercraft tools (Spiralux) and the company was bought by Neills. Still around have been holiday rep for last 5years currently working in Tenerife.Lots of names I remember with lots of memories
Hi Steve. Now I remember your surname. Its been a long time eh!. Dont know if you remember me. Im Jeanette Jessop. Sounds like you are enjoying your life. I started work at James Neills in 1974 and left in 1978 when I was expecting my first baby.
_______
As you slide down the bannisters of life may the splinters always face the right way!
12-04-2007, 16:47   #74
charlotte 2406

Total Posts: 78
anyone remember alan midgley he worked there in the 70,s someone must know
12-04-2007, 19:12   #75
S8 Blade

Total Posts: 1,684
Send a message via MSN to S8 Blade
My Grandad worked there a loooooooooooonnnggg time ago. He died in 1994 so shows how long ago it was. No idea what part of James Neill tools, or where abouts it was - just know he did a long service there and he had lots of "thank you for your service" type things - tankards and watches etc.

My nan still recieves a hamper at Xmas from James Neill tools, and they still send it despite her being in a home.

His name was Arthur Jessop, should anyone have worked there such a looooong time ago
_______
"You Can Lead A Horse To Water But A Pencil Must Be Lead" Laurel & Hardy - 'Brats' (1930)
16-04-2007, 06:42   #76
Yerman

Chayts

I can't send you a PM as you have not posted often enough.
You and I had many a bevvy together. Pitchfork phoned me out of the blue a couple of years ago and asked after your whereabouts. Rumour has it that Tothy is in Australia with his fellow convicts!
28-05-2007, 09:49   #77
hollypmi

Total Posts: 29
Yerman

Hi, this is Irene, over in Mallorca Found your posts by coincidence. Just been back to Sheffield for my sister in law's funeral (she posted under Scout as she was a Scout Leader), and was searching for some scout info, and came across your messages. I obviously know you, but not from your user name.

So sad to hear about Clive a while back. I always used to send him a birthday card every August, and a Xmas card to him and Sue, and when I came over I always used to meet up with him, George Hibberd and Christine Unwin for lunch one day.

Hope to hear back from you soon.
Irene x
31-05-2007, 12:48   #78
Yerman

Irene

I have sent you a PM.

Y
31-05-2007, 14:09   #79
drinkingman

Total Posts: 283
I remember George Hibberd very well. I worked at Handsworth and had many dealings with George (I was a shop steward). I always found him to be a really nice bloke. I remember Christine Unwin too.
06-06-2007, 15:38   #80
Beesa rider

Total Posts: 34
I worked at Neills from '67 to '75 as a technical apprentice (remember apprenticeships?) through to production Engineering.
Names from the memory in no particular order :-
Jed Bamforth, last seen with a huge beard, Ken Apthorpe (deceased I think) both from the Training Bay. Fellow trainees Carl Cato, David Hey, Phil Waddington, Ian Rowbotham.Liverpudlians from Whiteley Land and Neill Steve Downes and Les Morris,
Production Engineers, well some of them - Jeff Barden, Malcolm Haden, Terry Lockwood, Mick Sanderson, Alan Allcott, Dave Clowes, John Birchenough, Bill Martin (the rambler) Ian Wainright, Ian Hopwood, Grant Hayward, Bob Wainright, Pete Jakeman, Dave Brooks, Rod Managers Peter Vickers (deceased) Dave Pownell, John Brooks ................. oh there's bloomin' hundreds of names once you get going.

George Hibberd retired from the company about 5 years ago. Christine Unwin left when it moved from Handsworth to Atlas North about 9 years ago.
Reply To Topic