Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Local elections

Home > General > General Discussions

Topic Closed

01-05-2003, 16:36   #1
halevan

Total Posts: 1,399
Did you vote today? if not why not? every vote count's and every vote matter's, it doesn't matter who you voted for as long as you voted!

When there is only a forty percent turnout how can there be a fair representation of opinion to decide who rules us.

Should it be compulsory to vote? what would activate people to get out of their chair, or use the smart card we have all been given.

01-05-2003, 16:38   #2
Sidla

Total Posts: 2,758
I didn't vote because I'm away from my registered constituancy. I would have done otherwise.
_______
Even the nicest of guys have some nasty within 'em, you don't have to be backlit to be the villain. - Scroobius Pip

01-05-2003, 16:40   #3
Sidla

Quote:
Originally posted by "halevan"

Should it be compulsory to vote? what would activate people to get out of their chair, or use the smart card we have all been given.
No, because people who don't care shouldn't be forced to vote for someone. If they don't care then their opinion is worthless.
_______
Even the nicest of guys have some nasty within 'em, you don't have to be backlit to be the villain. - Scroobius Pip

01-05-2003, 16:57   #4
Tony Ruscoe
Bolton Boy

Total Posts: 582
i'm 23 - i didn't vote and never have.

the reason i've never voted is because i don't know enough about the parties to decide which would be best. from what i've seen, they all have their pros and cons.

some people say, "well find out about them then" - but i'm really not interested. whichever party gets in won't really change my life much. if i was in a "different group" (i.e. one that choosing a specific party would make a whole load of difference) then i might be bothered... until then, i'll let the rest of the population decide.

01-05-2003, 17:08   #5
chill

Total Posts: 335
I got a leaflet from the Tory candidate. It said things like "We want better schools, better roads" etc. as if they were hoping that Labour were going to distribute one saying "We want worse schools, and rubbish roads".
The vacuousness of it pretty much convinced me that they stood for absolutley nothing and would have no effect on my life. No one else even bothered canvessing my vote so who am I going to vote for?
No one, that's who.
Unless anyone here can change my mind before polling closes, I'd like to try the online voting thing.

02-05-2003, 15:44   #6
Internetowl
Forum Muppet

Total Posts: 3,316
we only got leaflets from the labour bod - so only voted lib dem...

M.

03-05-2003, 22:59   #7
Lickszz

Total Posts: 4,625
Has anyone heard about the scandal in Bradford in which Tories claim a ballot box was deliberately tampered with and accrording to Tories, votes altered. A Labour MP retained his seat in Bradford by a 178 vote margin.
_______
Little lost sometimes.

Sponsored Links
05-05-2003, 14:11   #8
Phanerothyme
Psychenaut

Total Posts: 15,776
I voted on the internet. And quick and easy it was too.

The thing about not voting is that you give up any right whatsoever to legitimately complain about your local council and the state of the city. Even if you spoil your ballot by scribbling obscenities, that will be counted. Any councillor elected with less votes than there were spoiled papers is going to look very weak.

In a world where very few people have the right to govern themselves in this (albeit limited) way, I think it is sad to see this right and responsibility squandered due to apathy and disinterest.

With turnout levels low, this is just the sort of opportunity required for local action groups and organisations to field their own candidates and get them elected.
_______
http://www.edl.me/ - click here for more information about the EDL. Then boogie.

05-05-2003, 18:44   #9
Lickszz

Total Posts: 4,625
Quote:
Originally posted by "Sidla"

I didn't vote because I'm away from my registered constituancy. I would have done otherwise.
Could you not have voted by post?
_______
Little lost sometimes.

06-05-2003, 15:17   #10
Sidla

Yeah I suppose so but I couldn't be arsed with the hassel.
_______

Topic Closed