Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Paypal problems - how long does it take to get a refund?

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
16-08-2011, 20:23   #1
cuttsie
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Total Posts: 5,323
Does any one know what the situation is with repaymants through Pay Pal.
I am waiting for my money back after a deal on Ebay was cancelled but although the seller has authorised my reparmant Pay Pal have not put the money back into my account ,have they the right to hold on to my money for at least a week now , is there a way to get them looked into!
  Reply With Quote
16-08-2011, 20:24   #2
Rich
DS,Xbox360 gamer
Rich's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: S3 Netherthorpe (Stannington on weekends)
Total Posts: 29,498
Send a message via ICQ to Rich Send a message via MSN to Rich Send a message via Yahoo to Rich Send a message via Skype™ to Rich
Were you the buyer or seller on the deal? I know that Paypal tend to side with the buyer in disputes.
  Reply With Quote
16-08-2011, 20:24   #3
tonyp5467
Registered User
tonyp5467's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: in a house on s5
Total Posts: 1,908
you can speak direct to someone from paypal all the contact details are on the site
i recently had a similar problem and that took 10 days to be resolved
_______
natural slate reptile hides and fish breeding caves made to order pm me for further details or feel free to join my facebook group where theres loads more pics http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...763950734&ap=1
any unwanted tropical fish rehomed also any unwanted aquarium accessories collected
  Reply With Quote
16-08-2011, 20:25   #4
0742Sheff
Registered User
0742Sheff's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: On The Loose!
Total Posts: 5,580
My brother asked for his money back on an item about a week ago and they agreed but he is still waiting for the money to go in.
_______
Helping Hands Dog Rescue
Rain Rescue
Sheffield Dog Rescue
Rapid Cycling. Excellent mobile cycle repairs!
  Reply With Quote
16-08-2011, 20:30   #5
cuttsie
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Total Posts: 5,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Were you the buyer or seller on the deal? I know that Paypal tend to side with the buyer in disputes.
I was the buyer and paid cash after the seller had refunded my pay pal money ,but paypal are hanging on to this repaymant and leaving me in the red.
  Reply With Quote
16-08-2011, 20:31   #6
Leah-Lacie
Registered User
Leah-Lacie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Just a bit to the right of the left, S8
Total Posts: 9,587
If you paid by card, it can take a few days for it to go back on, as it usually does with a refund in a shop.

If you paid by bank transfer, it takes a few days for the payment to come out of your bank (between 3 and 7 days depending on the bank) and you won't get a refund until it has initially cleared from your account. Essentially, Paypal pay the seller and you repay Paypal in this case. Then, once its all gone through, you get the refund into PayPal, not the bank, and will have to transfer it back (another few days)
  Reply With Quote
16-08-2011, 20:32   #7
cuttsie
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Total Posts: 5,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp5467 View Post
you can speak direct to someone from paypal all the contact details are on the site
i recently had a similar problem and that took 10 days to be resolved
Cheers i have been told that this is there policy to hold on to other peoples money for days on end ,could earn them millions i suppose.
  Reply With Quote
16-08-2011, 20:34   #8
Leah-Lacie
Registered User
Leah-Lacie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Just a bit to the right of the left, S8
Total Posts: 9,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttsie View Post
Cheers i have been told that this is there policy to hold on to other peoples money for days on end ,could earn them millions i suppose.
Thats usually when people sell with PayPal, they have money on 'hold'. Not sure it happens with refunds. Contact them anyway if you're certain that they are holding it, and its nothing of the usual sort, like I posted above
  Reply With Quote
16-08-2011, 20:37   #9
cuttsie
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Total Posts: 5,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah-Lacie View Post
Thats usually when people sell with PayPal, they have money on 'hold'. Not sure it happens with refunds. Contact them anyway if you're certain that they are holding it, and its nothing of the usual sort, like I posted above
Thanks for your help.
  Reply With Quote
16-08-2011, 20:44   #10
Karis
Evil Overlord
Karis's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Limbo
Total Posts: 6,600
If you open a dispute, Paypal "hold" the money until the dispute is resolved. If the seller drags their heels, this can take around 10 days and in some cases more.

It's a sucky system that only benefits Paypal.
  Reply With Quote
16-08-2011, 20:48   #11
Leah-Lacie
Registered User
Leah-Lacie's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Just a bit to the right of the left, S8
Total Posts: 9,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karis View Post
If you open a dispute, Paypal "hold" the money until the dispute is resolved. If the seller drags their heels, this can take around 10 days and in some cases more.

It's a sucky system that only benefits Paypal.
Paypal do give the seller 10 days to respond, and if they don't respond, then you get a refund, same with eBay buyer protection.... However, OP has said the seller has already agreed to give the refund.
  Reply With Quote
16-08-2011, 20:52   #12
cuttsie
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Total Posts: 5,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karis View Post
If you open a dispute, Paypal "hold" the money until the dispute is resolved. If the seller drags their heels, this can take around 10 days and in some cases more.

It's a sucky system that only benefits Paypal.
You are right the seller gave me my money back so no problem, but paypal decide they will keep my money as long as they feel like it and meanwhile i am overdrawn , Bankers ! so is there an alterative way to pay on Ebay.
  Reply With Quote
16-08-2011, 22:13   #13
Karis
Evil Overlord
Karis's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Limbo
Total Posts: 6,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah-Lacie View Post
Paypal do give the seller 10 days to respond, and if they don't respond, then you get a refund, same with eBay buyer protection.... However, OP has said the seller has already agreed to give the refund.
Just because the seller has 'agreed' to give a refund does not mean they have actually processed the PayPal refund system.

If the buyer hasn't started a request it can drag on and on.

I have seen a few occasions when PayPal do hold the money for all sorts of reasons. Did they send you back an e-cheque?

Most common reasons for lack of repayment is if the seller refunds via a credit card or through their bank. It can take a week that way, which is what I try to avoid wherever possible.
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT. The time now is 23:56.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2014 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2014