Sheffield Forum
Your message here

When should I start making my Xmas cake??

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

13-07-2011, 19:36   #1
ReginaldD

Total Posts: 1,952
Watched Delia last Christmas making her Christmas (booze) cake. Thought at the time I'd make one this year, was just looking on the bbcfood website and got the recipe http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/cr...tmascake_92907.

Just wondered when people start with making their cakes like above, she mentions as month before but I'm sure when watching her on TV she said she started it in October??
_______
"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you "
13-07-2011, 20:30   #2
not wanted

Total Posts: 2,004
Personally I would start now. Right now, not tomorrow. There is less than 6 months to go.
_______
This old world may never change
The way it's been
And all the ways of war
Can't change it back again
13-07-2011, 20:32   #3
VideoPro

Total Posts: 2,310
Much too late now. You should have started in May.
13-07-2011, 21:17   #4
cloudybay

Total Posts: 4,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaldD View Post
Watched Delia last Christmas making her Christmas (booze) cake. Thought at the time I'd make one this year, was just looking on the bbcfood website and got the recipe http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/cr...tmascake_92907.

Just wondered when people start with making their cakes like above, she mentions as month before but I'm sure when watching her on TV she said she started it in October??
http://www.priorygroup.com/Locations...th-London.aspx
_______
I hate discrimination, therefore I treat everyone with equal contempt.
13-07-2011, 22:34   #5
poppins

Total Posts: 9,833
Quote:
Sounds like a God awfull recipe
13-07-2011, 23:01   #6
lectrolove

Total Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppins View Post
Sounds like a God awfull recipe
It sounds like the one my Mum used to make actually, just a bit more extreme. She used to make hers around September or October.
13-07-2011, 23:17   #7
medusa
mostly here

Admin Team
Total Posts: 34,225
I usually have a weekend set aside in September or October when I make all my Christmas cakes and puddings for the year. Much of the Saturday is set aside for weighing, measuring and putting things in to soak in whatever they're soaking in (and making a dozen or so cake tin linings from baking parchment) and then the Sunday starts with turning the oven on and getting all the steamers on the go for doing all the puddings, which take 8 hours to cook.

Last year was quite a light year with only 7 cakes and 16 puddings, ranging from single portion puddings to 2lb puds to get into various bowls, basins and cake tins.

When the cakes are all cooked they go onto wire racks to cool and then they get injected with an assortment of alcoholic preservatives (I stop injecting them when it starts oozing out of the bottom of the cake ) and then they get rewrapped in fresh greaseproof paper and foil until they're ready for icing or having fruit and nut toppings a couple of weeks before Christmas.

Although I like the sort of boozy cake that you're thinking of making, and I have made this recipe at least 10 times, I found a lot of people who simply didn't like the texture of almost all fruit glued together with a bit of cake mixture so I stopped cooking it apart from as a present for the relatives that I know do like it. This is the one 'fruit cake' that I've made which doesn't need any sort of injecting because there's so little cake mixture with the fruit that there's little to absorb the alcohol.

Once you've bought all the booze this works out a seriously expensive cake BTW- although you have loads left over to drink or use in other things, the outlay to buy everything is really quite painful at the checkout.
_______
Insecurities are about as useful as putting the pin back in the grenade.

Sponsored Links
14-07-2011, 07:31   #8
spiritangel1

Total Posts: 1,628
I used the Delia receipe last year it was beautiful i made in oct and kept adding a bit of booze every week and kept it wrapped everyone said it was delicious so will deff use that again.I buy my fruit when its on offer like at Holland n Barrett its often 3 for 2 so it dosent cost all at once.
I have also been asked to make for others and they will pay me for them but to be honest i wouldnt have a clue what to charge but cant really afford to do them for nothing,any ideas anyone,i did toy with the idea for people to provide the stuff and just make a nominal charge for gas ect.

Last edited by spiritangel1; 14-07-2011 at 07:35. Reason: adding
14-07-2011, 14:28   #9
mrs grissom

Total Posts: 500
Always make my Christmas cake and Christmas Pud on the nearest Sunday to Bonfire night. In our house we call it Stir up Sunday and we all have a go at stirring the mixtures and making a wish.
_______
Here is a piece of paper and a pencil. Draw a picture of someone who gives a damn. If it doesn't look like me you have to leave.
14-07-2011, 14:40   #10
poppins

Total Posts: 9,833
Must be me then, I can't stand the smell of any booze in a dessert.
14-07-2011, 14:45   #11
Number Six
Account Closed

Total Posts: 4,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoPro View Post
Much too late now. You should have started in May.
I agree. Far too late now I've decided, so I'm going to buy a massive chocolate log instead. This has the other benefit of being nice to eat
14-07-2011, 14:48   #12
crookesey

Total Posts: 8,860
Good old Delia, I'll never forget her being nist as a pewt in the Norwich centre circle, shouting at the fans, she'd probably been on the cake, bless her.

Last edited by crookesey; 14-07-2011 at 14:51.
14-07-2011, 14:54   #13
iphonelover

Total Posts: 1,618
Fruit cake is rancid Delia is a weirdo and Xmas is miles away! Let's enjoy summer first
14-07-2011, 14:56   #14
curriechick

Total Posts: 27,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs grissom View Post
Always make my Christmas cake and Christmas Pud on the nearest Sunday to Bonfire night. In our house we call it Stir up Sunday and we all have a go at stirring the mixtures and making a wish.
I always make mine the Sunday after Bonfire Night as I am busy making parkin before that for Bonfire Night. When that is out of the way then it is time for the christmas cake.
14-07-2011, 19:00   #15
gnvqsos

Total Posts: 11,184
Quote:

I made mine on 21st June ,the equinox.
14-07-2011, 19:08   #16
Rich
DS,Xbox360 gamer

Total Posts: 29,497
Send a message via ICQ to Rich Send a message via MSN to Rich Send a message via Yahoo to Rich Send a message via Skype™ to Rich
I'll just buy one ready made from Tesco

Either that or Mum'll make one.
13-09-2011, 20:15   #17
LynneH

Total Posts: 29
Not made one for years but I always used to make mine in september. When it'd properly cooled I'd stick it in a tin and pour a tablespoon of brandy over it. Every week I'd take it out, turn it over and pour another table spoon of brandy over it. By the time its ready for icing you cant take the lid off without getting drunk from the vapours !!! Made me want to make one now !
Reply To Topic