Anyone else get ringing ears after nightclubs?

Does anyone else get ringing ears after nightclubs?

I am a bit worried because I have suddenly got ringing in my ears for the last week and usually I only get this after too loud nightclubs. And this is only in exceptionally loud ones, so only happens maybe once or twice a year.

It seems to be dyeing down, but I stayed away from nightclubs tonight in case it got worse again.

Loudish bars (but less loud than nightclubs) havent seem to had much effect tonight (in that the ringing hasnt got worse again) so maybe I am over-worrying here.

Anyone else get this problem? Should I just ignore it/see a doctor/start panicking?!

When I used to go raving to Helter Skelter several years back my ears were ringing for days. I'd come out of the event barely being able to hear anything.

I once went to Sundissential North one Sunday afternoon in Leeds and the speakers were unbelievably loud. I left the club and couldn't hear what people were saying. I stopped at a mate's house and his dad was talking to me as I walked in, but I couldn't hear him so I just had to nod and smile. He probably thought I was quite rude. Three years down the line though and I've not noticed any problems with my hearing.

Going to see a doctor won't help. It's a shocking amount of people who have hearing problems, it's not something people are aware of as much as they should be. I get slight Tinnitus in my ears, a slight ringing, more in my right than my left ear. Once you notice it it's hard to stop! I find it is worse after drinking too much for a few days but it is always there. I only notice it when in bed and it's silent, I never really notice it in the morning or at other times. It's annoying when trying to read beofre going to sleep! I used to go clubbing lots so guess that has something to do with it. A friend has a gardening / tree surgeon job and he gets it really badly. Be careful, it you want to go to loud clubs all the time then get some quality ear plugs, not the 3 quid ones from boots!! remember, once you have it it does not go away. As I said, I am lucky that it's pretty subtle and easy to ignore, my friend has a much stronger lower frequency noise which really gave him problems, it made him quite depressed and screwed with his sleep which has major effects on the rest of your life. Be careful, it aint worth it!!!

Originally posted by neeeeeeeeeek

Going to see a doctor won't help. It's a shocking amount of people who have hearing problems, it's not something people are aware of as much as they should be. I get slight Tinnitus in my ears, a slight ringing, more in my right than my left ear. Once you notice it it's hard to stop! I find it is worse after drinking too much for a few days but it is always there. I only notice it when in bed and it's silent, I never really notice it in the morning or at other times. It's annoying when trying to read beofre going to sleep! I used to go clubbing lots so guess that has something to do with it. A friend has a gardening / tree surgeon job and he gets it really badly. Be careful, it you want to go to loud clubs all the time then get some quality ear plugs, not the 3 quid ones from boots!! remember, once you have it it does not go away. As I said, I am lucky that it's pretty subtle and easy to ignore, my friend has a much stronger lower frequency noise which really gave him problems, it made him quite depressed and screwed with his sleep which has major effects on the rest of your life. Be careful, it aint worth it!!!

so where do you get quality ones from and how much do they cost?

yep, i'd agree with neeeeeeek (not sure how many e's), if this is happening regularly, then get a good quality pair of ear plugs, and don't feel daft about wearing them, you'd be surprised how many people do nowadays

The worse case I've ever experienced lasted over a week. I got really worried and depressed about it. The advice I was given at the time was, if it's started to die down then it will probably go away entirely. Not 100% sure about the logic there, but it did go away :)

I think you're doing the right thing by just staying clear of clubs for a while.

Although, from re-reading your post, it sounds like you haven't been anywhere especially loud. Did it just start up for no reason?

Mine happened after a Buzzcocks gig - I was stood right next to the speaker all night. Good gig though.

Search on the net, pro DJ's can get plugs that reduce the overall volume without impacting on any particular frequency, you don't loose the top or bottom end, just get a quieter sound. They may be expensive but what is your hearing worth? No on can see them anyway! I am sure you can get middle ground ones that are not too expensive but still offer some protection. Ringing ears after a gig now scares the s**t out of me in case it never goes away, and I don't suffer any where near as bad as most people with tinnitus. Honestly, check it out and get some, even cheap ones are better than nothing.

:)

Originally posted by tslogf74

Although, from re-reading your post, it sounds like you haven't been anywhere especially load. Did it just start up for no reason?

Mine happened after a Buzzcocks gig - I was stood right next to the speaker all night. Good gig though.

Well a few months ago I went to leadmill and had it as loon as I left the club (and it *is* loud in there!) and it lasted around 36 hours and was quite loud.

Then a week ago I got mlder ringing for no reason but it seems to be dying down,

As the post before my last one says, he got depressed after a week. imagine that constant ringing never going away.. It aint good!!

You see many tinnitus remedies on the internet, like diet pills they are preying on the hopeful but don't generally work!

I got depressed because I thought it might not go away - had I known it would disappear completely I could have lived with it.

I'm trying to strike a balance between cheering nightrider up and saying "yes, take more care in the future" :)