Govt. to urge firms to employ UK jobless rather than foreign workers

Iain Duncan Smith is set to urge British companies to choose to employ homegrown young unemployed rather than foreign nationals.

He is to warn that failure to do so would lead to British youngsters being lost to dependency and hopelessness.

Which begs the question - Why would a British company choose a foreigner over a British unemployed person? Given the National Minimum Wage it can't be that the foreign worker will work for 20p an hour so why aren't the young British unemployed being given a chance?

In some instances it’s cheaper to employ an experienced foreign worker than it is to train an inexperienced British worker.

In other instanced the foreign worker will work much harder than the young British workers, probably because life is too easy in the UK for our kids and doesn’t prepare them for a life of hard work.

Then we have an education system that drills in to our kids that they can achieve anything, nothing should be out of reach, then in their late teen’s reality kicks in and they realise the only job they are capable of doing is cleaning toilets, which is something life hasn’t prepared them for so they would rather be on benefits.

Iain Duncan Smith is set to urge British companies to choose to employ homegrown young unemployed rather than foreign nationals.

He is to warn that failure to do so would lead to British youngsters being lost to dependency and hopelessness.

Which begs the question - Why would a British company choose a foreigner over a British unemployed person? Given the National Minimum Wage it can't be that the foreign worker will work for 20p an hour so why aren't the young British unemployed being given a chance?

Its a good question. I believe much of a young person's work ethic starts in the home, and by the examples they see around them. If they are brought up in an environment where work/education isn't the norm, then its hardly surprising they just drift along on benefits.

People who have travelled a long way to find work (and often learnt a second language) have already demonstrated a level of keenness and ambition which must be attractive to employers. Their expectations may just be to find work then try and progress. As andikay suggests, some who are born and brought up here don't really want to do basic level jobs. If only they realised a foot in the door can often end up being much better than being out in the cold.

I think young British workers are given a chance, but a bigger supply of workers just means more competition for jobs, and reduces the probability of gaining employment for young British people.

What needs to be done - we need to get a grip on immigration. Labour really lost control but I can't see this government having done much about it so far, but the only real way that will happen is to exit the EU. If systems were good enough, the government should be able to turn immigration on and off like a tap to suit demand, and be selective about the workers we allow in.

Secondly is welfare reform - there should be no job that migrant workers do that we should not expect our own workers to do. For unskilled unemployed workers, if it's a choice between picking cabbages out of a field near Boston or welfare, they should be made to pick cabbages.

Jesus, Adolf must be clapping his hands in delight. A couple of years ago, people were saying employers should employ migrants to do the jobs that British people won't do so why has that all changed?

I'm here to tell you now, that migrants do not get paid less than their British counterparts; at least they don't unless they are sold into slavery or the employer is a crook. Most migrants in the UK work part-time as students shelf stacking or similar jobs, or they come to the UK on an interacompany transfer to carry out contractual work for their employer. Also, evidence suggests that migrants who set up businesses in the UK only employ other migrants

Let's face it, some people do not want to work but that is not to say that all the enemployed people do not want to work. You cannot force people to do something they don't want to, if you try you'd better bring out the gun. If I was forced to employ people who did want to work, it would probably ruin my business.

In some instances it’s cheaper to employ an experienced foreign worker than it is to train an inexperienced British worker.

In other instanced the foreign worker will work much harder than the young British workers, probably because life is too easy in the UK for our kids and doesn’t prepare them for a life of hard work.

Then we have an education system that drills in to our kids that they can achieve anything, nothing should be out of reach, then in their late teen’s reality kicks in and they realise the only job they are capable of doing is cleaning toilets, which is something life hasn’t prepared them for so they would rather be on benefits.

You're just stereotyping... I've seen as many lazy foreigners over here as I have British.

Horses for courses, if you want to be gobbed on, while walking along London Road, employ a Somali.

Which begs the question - Why would a British company choose a foreigner over a British unemployed person?

I imagine they will employe whoever applies for the job, I know someone who tried for 4 months to recruit housekeepers, the only people who applied were "foreigners"

You're just stereotyping... I've seen as many lazy foreigners over here as I have British.

No I’m not I’m saying there are different reasons why employers don’t employ young British workers and I’m not talking about every company or every young British and foreign worker.

Maybe you could contribute to the discussion by giving an opinion the OP.

Sorry it's a bit long Taxman I have shortened it down somewhat, without trying to lose clarity, but here’s one answer form the care industry perspective;

Many foreign nationals in my opinion work for legalised ‘gang masters’ who are no better than the illegal operated ones. I did some work for a private Health Company sometime back & most of the workers I came across, were foreign nationals from, India, Philippines, & various parts of Africa, the vast majority of jobs taken by the foreign nationals were unskilled so to speak, any skills needed were acquired whilst on the job supervised by a professional individual, it was basically care work.

Private health companies prefer foreign workers to that of employing UK workers; because it’s an incredibly cheap workforce. How it works is like this, a foreign national would reply to recruitment agencies advert in their own country offering educational visa’s & educational programme in the UK for any person wishing to work in the care industry, this would cost the applicant thousands. They are lured to the UK with the promise that during their training they would be paid; let’s say £4 per hour (I don’t know the exact figure), but compared to their home country it appears to be a hell of a lot of money. Once here the accommodation is normally supplied by the agency, they undertake their schooling which maybe two days per month, the rest of the time they are working in various homes up & down the country.

Whilst here they continue to pay the agency for accommodation & additional educational packages, always under the threat that if they do not pay, and then their visa is withdrawn. The private health company does not employ them; they have a contract with the agency to place X amount of ‘Students’ for X amount of hours per week, they come to work/learning environment, basically work their socks off, complete their educational work books at the end of the month. The private health company pays the agency for each student, the money paid falls well below the min wage threshold, but as far as the government is concerned these workers are students not workers, one big con, cheap workforce & agency making millions.

Interesting post Arguendo and it raises all sorts of welfare issues for the workers too. I thought we did away with slavery :confused:

Edited by mj.scuba

Interesting post Arguendo and it raises all sorts of welfare issues for the workers too. I though we did away with slavery :confused:

It’s government sanctioned slavery, many of the foreign nationals I’ve come across within the private care industry had rose tinted glasses when they first arrived, they don’t see they are doing anything wrong, and they are not; but it’s heartbreaking to watch as they realise its not all a bed of roses, they are worked incredibly hard, live in some appalling conditions, because they were conned, all foreign workers are not bad, they in my opinion are victims, who’s dreams of a better life has been abused, unlike others who come to this country they don’t claim benefits, they are not a financial drain on country, many I’ve come across are young early twenties, it’s shocking these agencies really need looking at.