The Barrow Boy's Pub?

I have today been in the The Barrow Boy's Pub that used to be on Shude Hill under Commercial Street.

Strange little place,I understand it shut in the 1980's and was popular with skinheads, however can't find out when it was built? its history? or find any pictures inside or out (apart from what it looks like now)

Just interested that's all :loopy:

I understand it was built as part of the road when commercial street was built as that part of the road as a bridge overy Pond St. Part of the arch I beleive was used at one one for the old rag and tag markets for storeage , hence the name barrow boys *.

It was a a nice little put with its bare brick walls and flag stone floor - ps I wasnt a skin head - just thought I would make that clear.

*Barrow boys appears to be a local name given to market trader lads who were used to take goods mainly fruit and veg into the market on barrows

I understand it was built as part of the road when commercial street was built as that part of the road as a bridge overy Pond St. Part of the arch I beleive was used at one one for the old rag and tag markets for storeage , hence the name barrow boys *.

It was a a nice little put with its bare brick walls and flag stone floor - ps I wasnt a skin head - just thought I would make that clear.

*Barrow boys appears to be a local name given to market trader lads who were used to take goods mainly fruit and veg into the market on barrows

Barrow slagging if I remember rightly.

I have today been in the The Barrow Boy's Pub that used to be on Shude Hill under Commercial Street.

Strange little place,I understand it shut in the 1980's and was popular with skinheads, however can't find out when it was built? its history? or find any pictures inside or out (apart from what it looks like now)

Very popular with the miners during the 1984/5 strike.

Didn't know it was open again must pop in.

Has it reopened then ? I used to love it in there probably around 1986, it had a real old feel to the place, if it is open again I bet I'll get goosebumps when I walk in :)

Blimey I remember drinking in there in my teens, was full of some salt of the earth folk, I used to go in for a few when going to the market, when we had a bit of pride in our market before Meadowhall and the likes sucked the life out of it.

Remember spending a lot of time drinking before and after a few court appearances also, especially nice when I wasn't expecting to have the opportunity to.

i think theres a thread about the barrow boys in history & expats section, i'll have a look & see if i can find it

Is this pub the Norfolk Arms? That was near Rebels...

No. ...........................

Les Vickers was the person who opened it up and later Steve Baxendale had it before it closed.