Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Help with care assistant interview

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

14-06-2011, 18:20   #1
jordanjlb

Total Posts: 561
Hi Im going for a job interview for a care assistant post and was wondering if anyone had recently gone for a similar role and if they had any idea of what questions they might ask and how difficult the interview was. Thanks
_______
“My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for.”
14-06-2011, 18:34   #2
poppins

Total Posts: 9,835
[QUOTE=jordanjlb;7762613]Hi Im going for a job interview for a care assistant post and was wondering if anyone had recently gone for a similar role and if they had any idea of what questions they might ask and how difficult the interview was. Thanks[/QUOT

Wouldn't they give you a questionnaire form with the written test attached for you to fill out before giving you an interview ?
14-06-2011, 18:53   #3
jordanjlb

Havent been sent anything just a phone call to invite me to an interview, maybe they will ask me to fill out this form when I get there. Its just Ive been looking at examples of interview questions online but they all seem to be aimed at more professional jobs and arent relevent to care work. I just really wanted to know how tough the questions maybe and if anyone had recently had a care home interview.
_______
“My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for.”
14-06-2011, 18:59   #4
best sheff

Total Posts: 615
If application requires a photo, your avatar isn't stereotypical of a carer. Would go down the shirt and tie road.

On a positive note, hope goes well for you.
14-06-2011, 19:12   #5
denlin

Total Posts: 26,503
[QUOTE=poppins;7762669]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanjlb View Post
Hi Im going for a job interview for a care assistant post and was wondering if anyone had recently gone for a similar role and if they had any idea of what questions they might ask and how difficult the interview was. Thanks[/QUOT

Wouldn't they give you a questionnaire form with the written test attached for you to fill out before giving you an interview ?
Don't think OP mentioned written test, just seeking advice. The best thing is to pop down to jobcentre and ask if there is a local jobclub who can help
14-06-2011, 19:23   #6
Arguendo

Total Posts: 327
I’m presuming it's a private care home or company, you’re not going to be given a written aptitude test, your questions are going to be around you & why you want to work in the care industry or for this particular company, for example; Tell me about yourself, what if any type of care have you done before, what in your opinion do you believe are important aspects of care & interests you about the job.

They may (more than likely) give you a scenario, example; your working with a colleague who you believe to be rough or abrupt with a resident how would you handle the situation, or a resident is acting abnormally appears distressed, on talking to this resident you notice that their speech is slurred, again what action would you take. The scenario questions will depend very much on your experience, what they will be looking for is person who is passionate about the role, caring, emphatic & safe. Good luck.
14-06-2011, 19:28   #7
Chris_Sleeps

Total Posts: 9,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguendo View Post
your working with a colleague who you believe to be rough or abrupt with a resident how would you handle the situation
I'd pass him something harder to hit him with. A stick, maybe.

Quote:
or a resident is acting abnormally appears distressed, on talking to this resident you notice that their speech is slurred, again what action would you take.
I'd mock him and call him "Mr Dribble".

That is how I found work with Southern Cross.
_______
It appears to me that one defeats the fanatic precisely by not being a fanatic oneself, but on the contrary by using one's intelligence. - George Orwell
14-06-2011, 19:29   #8
soulgirlie

Total Posts: 117
They should ask you about Health and Safety maybe give you a scenario, ask for your understanding of personalisation (putting the person first). They may ask you what you know about safeguarding and dignity in care.
Concentrate on your good points and what qualities you have and basically sell yourself
14-06-2011, 19:34   #9
Arguendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Sleeps View Post
I'd pass him something harder to hit him with. A stick, maybe.

I'd mock him and call him "Mr Dribble".

That is how I found work with Southern Cross.

Now that doesn’t surprise me one bit knowing Southern Cross
14-06-2011, 19:37   #10
Arguendo

[QUOTE=Chris_Sleeps;7762942]QUOTE]

This is not the Chris I think it is? admin??
14-06-2011, 19:40   #11
denlin

Total Posts: 26,503
Quote:
I’m presuming it's a private care home or company, you’re not going to be given a written aptitude test, your questions are going to be around you & why you want to work in the care industry or for this particular company, for example; Tell me about yourself, what if any type of care have you done before, what in your opinion do you believe are important aspects of care & interests you about the job.

They may (more than likely) give you a scenario, example; your working with a colleague who you believe to be rough or abrupt with a resident how would you handle the situation, or a resident is acting abnormally appears distressed, on talking to this resident you notice that their speech is slurred, again what action would you take. The scenario questions will depend very much on your experience, what they will be looking for is person who is passionate about the role, caring, emphatic & safe. Good luck.
Excellent response with very sensible advice. You could always check out the place you're going to on internet so that if they ask if you know about them you will be able to answer yes and above all - be yourself - good luck
14-06-2011, 19:43   #12
poppins

Total Posts: 9,835
[QUOTE=denlin;7762860]
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppins View Post

Don't think OP mentioned written test, just seeking advice. The best thing is to pop down to jobcentre and ask if there is a local jobclub who can help

OP didn't mention it, I did because where I work a care worker has to take a written test with the application, then he/she gets a call back for an interview.
14-06-2011, 19:46   #13
Chris_Sleeps

Total Posts: 9,495
Quote:
This is not the Chris I think it is? admin??
Nah. I don't really work in this industry.
_______
It appears to me that one defeats the fanatic precisely by not being a fanatic oneself, but on the contrary by using one's intelligence. - George Orwell
14-06-2011, 20:04   #14
jordanjlb

Thanks for your replies everyone, I have done care work before but it was 14 years ago so wondering if the interview process had changed much. And no best sheff a photo of 2pac doesnt make you think of a carer
_______
14-06-2011, 20:11   #15
xfox3x

Total Posts: 1,453
I've interviewed for these type of jobs and as a qualified nurse I need to be sure that
1- you understand the limit of your capabilities and refer problems to senior staff. Sometimes a new perspective on a situation can save trauma on both sides.
2- you want to preserve the dignity of the people you care for. Many people are uncomfortable being given personal care by someone of the opposite sex. How would you deal with this if no-one else was available? Compromise...a quick wash today and someone they feel happy with doing a full wash tomorrow.
3- you have the strength of character to 'whistle-blow' if you see bad practice.
4- you have (or will quickly learn) the ability to prioritise your work load
5- after your induction period you will be able to work with minimal supervision
6- you are willing to undertake training and willing to pass your knowledge on to other staff.
I've given jobs to many people without any experience (we all have to start somewhere!)
and they have all turned out to be fantastic workers. They all brought something to the job that benefitted us all -e.g: an ex pharmacy worker who is a source of knowledge on routine medications.
Good luck...let us know how you get on!
14-06-2011, 20:21   #16
Mecky

Total Posts: 10,622
Would I would say is that employers are not bothered about you, they don't care what you want or what you like; that's just to judge your character. What they really want to know is what you can do for them and how much money you can generate for them.
_______
Conservatism is incompatible with democracy, prosperity, and civilization in general. It is a destructive system of inequality and prejudice that is founded on deception and has no place in the modern world. (Divide and conquer)
Reply To Topic