Sheffield Forum
Your message here

How to get rid of wasps' nest?

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

21-07-2007, 12:55   #1
pennypie

Total Posts: 1,638
We appear to have a wasps nest above our front door. Anyone got any ideas as to how to get rid of it?
21-07-2007, 13:17   #2
ade1987

Total Posts: 528
i had the same problem a few month ago just go to b and q and look for their home brand nest spray its about 2.99 spray it tonight just before you got to bed and then again for a few nights during the week it works everytime.
21-07-2007, 13:19   #3
pennypie

What if they attack me when I go to spray it? There are about 30 of them flying in and out!!! Might have a look though this afternoon. Thank you.
21-07-2007, 13:28   #4
medusa
mostly here

Admin Team
Total Posts: 35,231
They're much less likely to be out and about late into the night (especially if it's a bit chilly or raining). If you're really worried about approaching the nest then there are companies that you can employ to do the job for you, but they can cost a bit.
_______
'There's nothing funnier than a Goth in a dodgem.'
21-07-2007, 13:35   #5
getphysical

Total Posts: 440
You can contact the council - environmental health I think. They will remove it or put you on to someone who can. There is a fee though.
21-07-2007, 13:43   #6
Dozy

Total Posts: 15,282
Yes, Council is your best bet. Although they charge, I think they're cheaper than commercial companies and you get a guarantee that if the little beggars aren't all cleared, they'll come back and spray it again.

Quite disconcerting seeing the workman though - he's all suited up in white with a hood and helmet, looks like something out of one of the sci fi films when there's a killer disease on the loose!!
21-07-2007, 13:45   #7
sex kitten

Total Posts: 48
I had a wasps nest and we used some powder we put it on late at night for three days and that got rid of them I got the powder from willkinsons it was about 4 pounds well worth it especially when the council charge you 30 pounds
21-07-2007, 14:05   #8
JoeP
A Regular Joe

Total Posts: 14,720
The main problem with all home application chemicals is delivering them properly.

If it's inside the wall, then you can have parts of the nest that won't get adequate coverage, so take care!

I hate the little beggars!
_______
"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - CG Jung
My homepage : http://www.joepritchard.me.uk
21-07-2007, 14:31   #9
xruthx

Total Posts: 2,148
had an absolutly massive one in the loft, thousands of em, bought some rent o kill foam from wilko and went armed with two cans and a speedy escape route, sprayed the main nest and it just disintigrated to nothin. you should a seen the little suckers, flapping about doing spazmodic dancing, killed em though! just make sure you get enough stuff cos i ran out half way through and absolutly s@@t my pants, had to run off n leave it a few days b4 i dared venture back but when i did they were dead
21-07-2007, 14:40   #10
depoix

Total Posts: 8,239
cheapest way ive ever done it was to make sure there wasnt anyone in the house,then i squirted a bottle of fairy washing up liquid in to the nest, they left within 15 minutes,dont know how it works,but it does
_______
i am not a number, i am a man, a person
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikynT...eature=related
21-07-2007, 19:13   #11
mort
BIKKIT !!!

Admin Team
Total Posts: 34,508
The only time I dealt with a wasps nest i used a gallon of petrol and a molotov cocktail. Not recommended for indoors though.
_______
Bringing chaos out of order
Time is a great healer. Unless it's a rash, then you're better off with ointment.
'Reality', sa molesworth 2, 'is so unspeakably sordid it make me shudder.'
21-07-2007, 19:30   #12
Antics^^

Total Posts: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennypie View Post
We appear to have a wasps nest above our front door. Anyone got any ideas as to how to get rid of it?
B&Q do a good foam which worked a treat, use in the morning or at night. (Don't where yellow lol!)
_______
Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings.
21-07-2007, 22:31   #13
holidayhutch

Total Posts: 1,022
I used to work in pest control for the local council many moons ago now and the best advice we gave to those who couldn;t afford to pay was to wai till dusk, get a can of wasp nest destroyer and spray the whole can just inside the entrance to the nest. As the workers go in and out they will get coated in it and take it back into the nest. The Queen feeds from them and it will kill her. Once the queen is dead the nest can no longer function so the rest of the nest will die away too.
_______
http://www.holidayhutches.com Small Animal Boarding, Pet Sitting and Dog Walking Service

http://www.animalmagicpetsupplies.co.uk Online Pet Store with FREE delivery in Sth Yorkshire
22-07-2007, 10:28   #14
Nigel Womersle

Total Posts: 1,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by sex kitten View Post
I had a wasps nest and we used some powder we put it on late at night for three days and that got rid of them I got the powder from willkinsons it was about 4 pounds well worth it especially when the council charge you 30 pounds
Two years ago, Sheffield City Council charged me 39.00 for treating a wasp nest. They didn't actually remove the nest, but sprayed powder in it. It did work though.
22-07-2007, 17:46   #15
UnkleBob

Total Posts: 899
where are you? i wouldn't mind the grubs for fishing, excellent bait...
_______
god, ghost, man, guru
22-07-2007, 18:47   #16
mikey1

Total Posts: 35
borrow my mother in law, one look at her face and they will fly into the nearest bonfire
22-07-2007, 18:53   #17
BorderReiver

Total Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1 View Post
borrow my mother in law, one look at her face and they will fly into the nearest bonfire
Like it
22-07-2007, 21:30   #18
mgblade

Total Posts: 511
had a nest years ago, got a bloke out to remove it. all he did was to spray some powder in and then came back to remove the nest some days later.
cost me 15, time after got some powder and did it myself!!!
didn't realise it was that simple..
31-07-2007, 12:14   #19
The_Boy_Hoy

Total Posts: 103
i think i have the same problem in the roof part of the attic dormer window, the last few mornings i've noticed loads and loads of wasps flying to and from there, so looks like i'll have to get someone out, i'm s**t scared of em after i was stung as a kid and theres no way i'm getting up ladders all the way to the attic!!
09-08-2007, 12:22   #20
pennypie

Just an update for anyone that may have a wasp nest to remove, I called the council and they charge 45, plus 20 for each additional nest (now I have two it will be 65 and that is quite expensive IMO), but Rentokil will remove them both for 45, so if you have any, I would use them!!!!
Reply To Topic