Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Bents green school memories

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

03-05-2011, 12:35   #1
Ms Golightly

Total Posts: 1
I'm currently a teacher at Bents Green and was wondering if anyone could give me their memories of the school from the past so that the kids can contrast their experiences with others. Ta
03-05-2011, 13:22   #2
DUFFEMS

Total Posts: 6,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Golightly View Post
I'm currently a teacher at Bents Green and was wondering if anyone could give me their memories of the school from the past so that the kids can contrast their experiences with others. Ta
Has the newly built school opened today?
26-05-2012, 01:19   #3
starchaser

Total Posts: 7
I went to bents green school from 1967 to 1978 it was the best time for the school. The sun always seemed to shine the teachers were kind. I remember on a thursday afternoons going for a walk up the road to the round house touching it and walking back to school. Then the summer camp bridlington that was fun. And their are many more. The kids never left with any fancy exams but they left with much more than that they left with hope.
26-05-2012, 18:12   #4
deej

Total Posts: 63
My brother used to go, he was a boarder i think it was about 83 when he left. He used to go back & see staff, so they set him on in the kitchens (he always loved cooking), they sent him to college on day release. He loved it at Bents Green.
29-05-2012, 16:29   #5
starchaser

Who remembers the dentist on Leopold street Sheffield in the 1970,s. I will never forget sitting in the waiting room with about 8 other kids. When he came out Mr Copestake dressed from head to toe in green. then one by one the kids were took in and sat in the dentists chair then all you could hear was the screams

Last edited by starchaser; 29-05-2012 at 16:33.
29-05-2012, 19:56   #6
alfred rd

Total Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Golightly View Post
i went to Bents Green school or Bents Green Open Air School as knew it. I went around 1947/48. I seem to remember teacher called Miss Inch. We had to have a sleep in the afternoon, we slept on strechers which was stacked in the flat roof class rooms. Some where in early summer, we had an open day where parents came and we put on a display, while I was there I took part in a Maypole dance. alfred rd
30-05-2012, 15:33   #7
PaulTansley

Total Posts: 4,042
My Son is currently at Bents Green and is a wonderfull school, all kids have some kinda Autism not sure if thats always been the case.
30-05-2012, 16:30   #8
Plain Talker
Happy Hijaabi

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 41,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTansley View Post
My Son is currently at Bents Green and is a wonderfull school, all kids have some kinda Autism not sure if thats always been the case.
No, it wasn't the case, back in the 70s when my sister went there. (Although, funnily enough, my sister's diagnosis was Autism!) There were a range of disabilities, from physical disabilities (of varying kinds from spina bifida to cerebral palsy) there were kids with epilepsy, and many with all kinds of learning disability.

Bents Green was a wonderful school, and Mr Bailey, the headmaster, at the time my sister was there, was a wonderful chap.

My sister came on in leaps and bounds, with her learning disabilities, thanks to BGS.
_______
Muslim Women should not wear veils, says page 1 of The Sun...
For further information about The Sun's opinion of women, turn to page 3

"People can be taught how to HATE, people can be taught how to SPELL... But apparently, it's one or the other"
30-05-2012, 16:34   #9
Plain Talker
Happy Hijaabi

Forum Helper
Quote:
Originally Posted by starchaser View Post
Who remembers the dentist on Leopold street Sheffield in the 1970,s. I will never forget sitting in the waiting room with about 8 other kids. When he came out Mr Copestake dressed from head to toe in green. then one by one the kids were took in and sat in the dentists chair then all you could hear was the screams
Copestake had a reputation for being a real so-and-so. I remember my mother going ballistic about him doing some work (extractions) on my sister's teeth, without my mother's authorisation.

We had our own, family dentist who took care of our teeth, and Copestake had no business doing anything to my sister's teeth, not even an examination, never mind the extractions, (!!)
_______

"People can be taught how to HATE, people can be taught how to SPELL... But apparently, it's one or the other"
31-05-2012, 13:15   #10
mike-s

Total Posts: 616
There are a lot of threads on here about BGS but I always like to hear about the place. I attended from 1966 - 1974 and Mr Bailey was wonderful. I bought a pub in the Peak district in the late 80s and it was'nt until five years later I heard that Mr Bailey had died, but the sad thing was he only lived about ten minutes from my pub and I did'nt know. His wife and daughter Fiona are still there (quite eccentric!). I am still in touch with Mrs Seddon who has not been in the best of health recently.
31-05-2012, 13:20   #11
teeny

Total Posts: 5,991
Send a message via MSN to teeny Send a message via Yahoo to teeny
one of my charges went to bents green , he was autistic, he did very well and enjoyed school life there , he didn't like the saturday club !!! because he wanted to go to Crich to ride on the trams !
31-05-2012, 19:02   #12
Plain Talker
Happy Hijaabi

Forum Helper
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-s View Post
There are a lot of threads on here about BGS but I always like to hear about the place. I attended from 1966 - 1974 and Mr Bailey was wonderful. I bought a pub in the Peak district in the late 80s and it was'nt until five years later I heard that Mr Bailey had died, but the sad thing was he only lived about ten minutes from my pub and I did'nt know. His wife and daughter Fiona are still there (quite eccentric!). I am still in touch with Mrs Seddon who has not been in the best of health recently.
He wasn't my headmaster, but I knew him, being associated with BGS, through my sister's attendance there. He was, certainly, the loveliest chap you could meet, and he has my eternal admiration and respect for how he, and his "regime" helped "our-kid" come on so tremendously well there.

I was so very proud of our-kid, as in the last year of school, she got presented with a "progress prize" for her achievements.

She knew nothing about the prize beforehand:- she thought Mum and I had simply come to hear her singing in the school choir. The look of amazement on her face when her name was announced as the winner was priceless. *sniffles proudly at the memory*
_______

01-06-2012, 14:30   #13
margey

Total Posts: 11
my mom went to bents green open air school when she was about 12 think it would be about 1934 she was there because she was a sickly child . must have done her some good as she will be 90 next month
04-06-2012, 10:44   #14
starchaser

Does anyone remember Neil Robertson of bents green school Sheffield . He was there in the late 60,s to the mid 70,s.

Last edited by starchaser; 07-06-2012 at 17:21. Reason: NEEDED TO FINNISH PROPERLEY
04-06-2012, 16:37   #15
Plain Talker
Happy Hijaabi

Forum Helper
Quote:
Originally Posted by margey View Post
my mom went to bents green open air school when she was about 12 think it would be about 1934 she was there because she was a sickly child . must have done her some good as she will be 90 next month
Bents Green was so far out into the beautiful countryside and fresh air, that the children benefited greatly from being away from the smog and pollution of the city. A lot of "delicate" children went there in its early years.
_______

04-06-2012, 18:13   #16
mrcarp

Total Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred rd View Post
i went to Bents Green school or Bents Green Open Air School as knew it. I went around 1947/48. I seem to remember teacher called Miss Inch. We had to have a sleep in the afternoon, we slept on strechers which was stacked in the flat roof class rooms. Some where in early summer, we had an open day where parents came and we put on a display, while I was there I took part in a Maypole dance. alfred rd
Alfred rd you must have been there around the time my mum went.She was sent there as she was a delicate child but often talks of the afternoon naps on the strechers in the open air.she is 73yrs old now..
06-06-2012, 17:45   #17
Pam-G

Total Posts: 3
I attended Bents Green Open Air School, as it was then known, between 1960and 1966. I was both a resident and a daily attender at different times. My memories are of many happy times, a very easy going lifestyle, plenty of fresh air, long walks to Forge Dam and the Round house. I never quite made it there before the return journey, due to my slow pace of walking, Teachers of the time were Mr Bailey, Mr Vardy, Mrs Jones, Mr Orgill, Miss Jubb, Miss Dodd, and Mr Slater who was a teacher for the partially sighted children. My one regret is that I didnt get as good an education as I could have in a normal school, but I later studied and trained in catering, brought up my family, ran a sewing business for over 20 years, and finally retrained as a pre school keyworker untill finally retiring recently. So after some consideration I think Bents Green worked for me!
06-06-2012, 17:52   #18
Pam-G

Total Posts: 3
I attended Bents Green Open Air School, as it was then known, between 1960and 1966. I was both a resident and a daily attender at different times. My memories are of many happy times, a very easy going lifestyle, plenty of fresh air, long walks to Forge Dam and the Round house. I never quite made it there before the return journey, due to my slow pace of walking, Teachers of the time were Mr Bailey, Mr Vardy, Mrs Jones, Mr Orgill, Miss Jubb, Miss Dodd, and Mr Slater who was a teacher for the partially sighted children. My one regret is that I didnt get as good an education as I could have in a normal school, but I later studied and trained in catering, brought up my family, ran a sewing business for over 20 years, and finally retrained as a pre school keyworker untill finally retiring recently. So after some consideration I think Bents Green worked for me!
09-06-2012, 18:43   #19
mike-s

Total Posts: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by starchaser View Post
Does anyone remember Neil Robertson of bents green school Sheffield . He was there in the late 60,s to the mid 70,s.
I definitely remember the name but bringing faces to mind is difficult now! We could do with some old photos of the people that are regularly mentioned, that would be interesting!
09-06-2012, 19:16   #20
DUFFEMS

Total Posts: 6,476
Did you know that the newly-built Bents Green School has an open day Tuesday 16th. June 11:00-3:00.
Reply To Topic