Missing Signing Date with for JSA

Hello Forum,

I've posted here in the past and got some good unbiased advice. So here we go again.

I'm going to missing my signing day for Job Seekers Allowance. I won't be able to sign on due to having to go travel to Leeds to attend a funeral. My signing day is the 20th April and I will be away from the 19th until the 24th April. I called JSA for advice and they simply said if I'm not available to sign for reasons other than job interview or job related activity then I would lose my benefit.

However, I sure there must be situations where people have simply not been able to sign on for various reasons, (even because there abroad) and still not had there JSA withdrawn?

Your advice in this matter will be greatly appreciated....

Cheers

Carlton

P.S.

If I don't reply to your responses immediately I will as soon as I return from a job boot camp.

Hi, you can ask for a holiday form which will excuse you from signing on that day I think.

Tell them that you have a holiday in the UK. Don't, what ever you do, tell them you are going abroad. If you do they will sign you off and you'll have to go through the drama of re-registering.

I know it's not a holiday but it should be the easiest form of getting out of signing on.

Hey there, sorry for your troubles. It is so stressful when they lay this one on you at the JobCentre Plus. I was in a similar situation a year ago and often if you convince them that you are not taking the michael and in fact you have a legitimate reason for not attending then it will be fine. I think they have a default mode when they speak to and deal with all sign-onners as they expect wasters (which I don't agree with of course).

or get a job.

If he got a job he would still be in the same boat wouldnt he? :huh:

If he got a job he would still be in the same boat wouldnt he? :huh:

Employers would allow time off work for such matters. Alternatively you could use your annual leave/holiday days.

Would it not be better to just tell them hes away at a funeral on the signing day, rather than telling them its a 'holiday'? Don't they have 'compassionate' rules?

And 5 days is quite a while to be away when its only in Leeds.

Alternatively you can sign on at a jobcentre closer to where the funeral is.

For example I did a four week stint around Grimbsy/Cleethorpes/Skegness to raise money for Charity. One sign on day was in Skegness, and they sent the giro to the campsite office.

Second signing day was in Grimbsy and I had to pick up the giro.

So you could request to sign on at a jobcentre closer to where the funeral is.

Oh I forgot to add, you do have to state that you will still look for work in Leeds whilst your there.

Edited by Digsy

And 5 days is quite a while to be away when its only in Leeds.

I agree.

Unless the funeral actually takes place on the day you were to sign, couldn't you just commute?

I think the best thing to do is a holiday form...

I'm sure that under the JSA rules you are allowed time off due to bereavement, not sure for how long though so its best to get in touch with them first and ask.

Otherwise you could have up to 2 weeks in any 6 month period for sickness without having to get a doctors certificate. You notify them you are sick and cant sign on and they will send you a form to fill in (sort of self certification).

Hope that helps.

PS

Don't mention you are going on holiday or the will try and get you to sing off for that period which means you will lose benefit.

I'm sure they used to get funny about holidays. A. You shouldn't be able to afford a holiday and B. You won't be job seeking on holiday and therefore are not eligible to claim... Or is that just abroad?