Nursing Home assessment but rather have Care Home

My mum has been assessed as needing a nursing home as opposed to a Care/Residential Home. We do not agree with the decision and would like to put her in a care/residential home but have been told by the Social Services that we cannot and must not do this. We have found a lovely home that my mum herself wants to go in and the family all agree it would suit her needs perfectly, but we are up against a 'brick wall' and are at a loss to know what to do. Does anyone know the legalities of this and who to approach to get this changed? My mum does not suffer with dementia or mental illness. Just frail and elderly.

Also the Care/Residental Homes seem to provide a better service and higher standard than the nursing homes we have looked at!

If she really does not have any needs that would require nursing staff, (which don't only include dementia or mental illness, as being unable to walk well etc can also mean nursing staff will be required sooner rather than later) and you have the means to support her in a home that is happy to take her on, I guess it's your cash and you can do whatever you like with it!

If you are looking for the state to pay part or in full for her care, I guess that it's their money and they have a big say in how it is spent...

There are a great many nursing homes that provide a far higher standard of care than others - Why do you have to choose right now? The best ones have a wait list, and since your Mum isn't ill and doesn't require care in the sense of nursing support, she could perhaps live with you whilst you await a space on the list?

My mum has been assessed as needing a nursing home as opposed to a Care/Residential Home. We do not agree with the decision and would like to put her in a care/residential home but have been told by the Social Services that we cannot and must not do this. We have found a lovely home that my mum herself wants to go in and the family all agree it would suit her needs perfectly, but we are up against a 'brick wall' and are at a loss to know what to do. Does anyone know the legalities of this and who to approach to get this changed? My mum does not suffer with dementia or mental illness. Just frail and elderly.

Also the Care/Residental Homes seem to provide a better service and higher standard than the nursing homes we have looked at!

If she has been assessed as needing nursing home care, then that is what she will require. The staff have more qualifications in a nursing home.

I must agree with Pattricia, she is not going to get greatly better at her age. Best to make one single move now, rather than disrupt her again later.

I must agree with Pattricia, she is not going to get greatly better at her age. Best to make one single move now, rather than disrupt her again later.

There has to be a State Registered Nurse on duty at all times in a nursing home. I dont think this is required in a care home. This could make a lot of difference.

Also if she goes into a residential home and settles in there, and then needs even the smallest amount of nursing care, you will have to move her as residential homes don't provide nursing care.

It could cause a lot of distress for her to have to be moved at a future date.

My mother in law was assessed as needing future nursing care and because she wasn't funding herself entirely the council stipulated that she would have to go into a nursing home.

To be honest she hadn't been there very long before she suffered a stroke and needed the nursing care so it was probably just as well that it was allready on hand.

Good luck anyhow. I hope it all works out well for both your Mum and yourself. I know just how much of a harrowing experience all of this is.