Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Can you claim dla if you have depression?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Interest Groups > Disability & Carers Group

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
02-04-2011, 13:57   #1
mighty1
Registered User
mighty1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: i'll get to where i'am meant to be one day
Total Posts: 296
hi all. i've had depression on and off now for 20+ years. iam on esa at the meoment and just wonded if i could claim the low rate dla?.

thanks
_______
don't stop looking for love!!!
  Reply With Quote
03-04-2011, 16:16   #2
Ting~Tong
Account Closed
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Nah that be tellin
Total Posts: 1,026
try it see wat happens
  Reply With Quote
03-04-2011, 16:28   #3
medusa
mostly here
medusa's Avatar
 
Admin Team
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: in a recliner
Total Posts: 34,435
You can claim DLA with any condition which limits your ability to do basic tasks- it's not about the condition itself but how it affects your ability to do things that matter for DLA.

You lose nothing by asking for forms and filling them in, but please be aware that the forms for DLA are huge and you will probably need assistance filling them in to know what (specifically) the forms want you to comment upon for each bit of the form.

Severe mental health problems can indeed leave you unable to look after yourself in basic terms, so there would be no reason that you couldn't apply, but the only people who can tell you whether your particular issues meet any of the criteria for the care component of DLA are specialists who help with these sorts of forms and the DWP who adjudicate applications.
_______
It's time for the Homeless Christmas Shoe Box appeal to come around again.
Please like, please share, please donate- everybody can donate something, even if that's just a tin of beans, to someone who has nothing.
https://www.facebook.com/Homelessshoeboxappeal?fref=ts
  Reply With Quote
03-04-2011, 19:14   #4
duckweed
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: S 8
Total Posts: 2,026
I would say definitely yes but do get someone to help you fill in the form to make sure you miss nothing. Its based on a point system and you need to make sure you don't understate your problems or you may fail because they don't realise how severe your problems are.
  Reply With Quote
05-04-2011, 01:35   #5
jess.s
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Total Posts: 68
I don't think you could. My ex-husband tried to claim DLA for his paranoid schizophrenia and depression, I wrote the witness statement about how I had to help him with day to day tasks etc. but we got nothing.

Now living on his own, he receives incapacity benefit.

Last edited by jess.s; 05-04-2011 at 01:37. Reason: extra info
  Reply With Quote
05-04-2011, 01:40   #6
CHEZZFAYE
Registered User
CHEZZFAYE's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: s2
Total Posts: 3,464
i know 2 people at least that have and are still currently claiming, go for it the worst they can do is say no but apeal against it as you may just have filled the form in wrong
_______
dog socialization and walking group, all dogs welcome big or small please join the fb page https://www.facebook.com/groups/1466308176946800/
  Reply With Quote
05-04-2011, 02:25   #7
HeadingNorth
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Total Posts: 21,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess.s View Post
I don't think you could. My ex-husband tried to claim DLA for his paranoid schizophrenia and depression, I wrote the witness statement about how I had to help him with day to day tasks etc. but we got nothing.

Now living on his own, he receives incapacity benefit.
It is possible to be awarded DLA for mental conditions, including depression; but it's notoriously hard to prove that your condition seriously limits your ability to do everyday tasks.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
05-04-2011, 13:20   #8
duckweed
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: S 8
Total Posts: 2,026
I am not saying it will be easy but if it is having a major impact on your life and ability to work you are entitled.
  Reply With Quote
28-04-2011, 20:58   #9
xXMessedUpXx
Registered User
xXMessedUpXx's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: sheffield
Total Posts: 279
Send a message via AIM to xXMessedUpXx
I successfully claimed for depression (and bpd) first time round (and i know of 2 other people who get it for MH conditions), as someone else said its all based on care and mobility needs. I got help from CAB as i found i struggled to do the forms myself.
_______
"Life is like a beautiful melody only the lyrics are messed up"
Sheffield Hallam Grad 08[
  Reply With Quote
28-04-2011, 21:01   #10
dave_dave
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 1,295
How on earth can you claim for something you've been living with for 20+ years?
You would pretty much be saying "I've been living with it but have now realised I could get some money out of it so I'm giving it a go".
  Reply With Quote
29-04-2011, 17:32   #11
verydull
Registered User
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Total Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_dave View Post
How on earth can you claim for something you've been living with for 20+ years?
You would pretty much be saying "I've been living with it but have now realised I could get some money out of it so I'm giving it a go".
Because you can suddenly come to the realisation of how much it has affected you. It could have got worse, and or other circumstances could impact on the underlying problems...
  Reply With Quote
29-04-2011, 17:33   #12
dave_dave
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by verydull View Post
Because you can suddenly come to the realisation of how much it has affected you. It could have got worse, and or other circumstances could impact on the underlying problems...
So after 20 years you realise its affecting you and this just happens to be when you're unemployed? How strange.

I take back what I said anyway, I recently discovered people claim DLA for being fat.
  Reply With Quote
29-04-2011, 17:37   #13
teenyweeny
Registered User
teenyweeny's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Rotherham South Yorkshire
Total Posts: 1,854
Send a message via MSN to teenyweeny Send a message via Skype™ to teenyweeny
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty1 View Post
hi all. i've had depression on and off now for 20+ years. iam on esa at the meoment and just wonded if i could claim the low rate dla?.

thanks

yes you can.just make sure your doctor supplies all relevent info.i was on the middle rate previously but got knocked down to lower,as my condition is ongoing..good luck.
  Reply With Quote
29-04-2011, 17:39   #14
teenyweeny
Registered User
teenyweeny's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Rotherham South Yorkshire
Total Posts: 1,854
Send a message via MSN to teenyweeny Send a message via Skype™ to teenyweeny
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_dave View Post
So after 20 years you realise its affecting you and this just happens to be when you're unemployed? How strange.

I take back what I said anyway, I recently discovered people claim DLA for being fat.
mental health that is ongoing and affects your quality of life.. in the long term.im not really fat for your info.. just a person with a mental health problem.funny how the 2 are stigmatised.
  Reply With Quote
29-04-2011, 17:41   #15
dave_dave
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenyweeny View Post
mental health that is ongoing and affects your quality of life.. in the long term.im not really fat for your info.. just a person with a mental health problem.funny how the 2 are stigmatised.
I don't know how on earth you took my post to read that people with mental health problems are fat.

I was referring to people being able to claim for obesity.
  Reply With Quote
29-04-2011, 18:18   #16
verydull
Registered User
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Total Posts: 1,363
don't get me started on the recent tabloid slurs on obesity.... or alcholism etc.

as the poster said, on and off... perhaps with DLA they would be enabled to lift themselves out of depression.

DLA is an enabling benefit. Regardless of the source of the disablement the aim is to enable.
  Reply With Quote
29-04-2011, 18:24   #17
dave_dave
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by verydull View Post
don't get me started on the recent tabloid slurs on obesity.... or alcholism etc.

as the poster said, on and off... perhaps with DLA they would be enabled to lift themselves out of depression.

DLA is an enabling benefit. Regardless of the source of the disablement the aim is to enable.
I don't agree with this, I think being out of work is going to be a major factor in a persons continued depression.

I don't think enabling people to stay out of work longer would do anything other than increase their problems.

Why would DLA lift them out of depression?
  Reply With Quote
29-04-2011, 18:31   #18
verydull
Registered User
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Total Posts: 1,363
DLA is not an out of work benefit. It can enable someone to access work (for example by paying for taxis etc)

Also I agree with you re work, however, there are MANY other things that one can do with your time apart from being in work. I am in education and this gives me a focus and a reason to keep going.

Please don't confuse DLA with being an out of work benefit, or that work is the only solutiion to combating disability.

DLA can pay for all sorts of things..
  Reply With Quote
29-04-2011, 18:34   #19
dave_dave
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by verydull View Post
DLA is not an out of work benefit. It can enable someone to access work (for example by paying for taxis etc)

Also I agree with you re work, however, there are MANY other things that one can do with your time apart from being in work. I am in education and this gives me a focus and a reason to keep going.

Please don't confuse DLA with being an out of work benefit, or that work is the only solutiion to combating disability.

DLA can pay for all sorts of things..
I think you're confusing my comments on the OP with general assumption.
The OP IS out of work, that's what I am commenting on.
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:55.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2014 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2014