Sheffield Forum

Hibbert Brothers-Can you help me please

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

26-02-2011, 20:03   #1
tally2

Total Posts: 14
I'm trying to discover if Hibbert Brothers are still trading in or around the city.
I bought a print from them some 30 years ago, by what I assume was a local artist(Louis Jennings).Sadly, the print of Victorian carol singers in a snowy Paradise Square,has faded badly over the years and I would love to replace it.Despite years of effort I have been unable to trace either the artist or the print itself on the internet.

On the edge of the picture is printed "Copyright Hibbert Brothers Sheffield"
I realise this is a long shot,but if Hibberts(or an associate company) are still trading,I may be able to obtain a copy via them.
Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by tally2; 26-02-2011 at 20:39. Reason: Misquoted artists name in error
01-03-2011, 07:13   #2
ibbo

Total Posts: 127
Theres a name to remember. Just to help, they were on a corner opposite the Town Hall and sold everything to do with painting or drawing of any sort. Did anyone work there or have any idea when it closed?
01-03-2011, 08:21   #3
Rivelin6

Total Posts: 2,822
It closed about 15 years ago I think. My mother's cousin married into the family and I had a friend who's mother worked there until my daughter was about 5ish. There is another thread on them on here if you do a search.
Looks like they moved to Derbyshire.
http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/show...light=hibberts

Last edited by Rivelin6; 01-03-2011 at 08:30.
25-10-2014, 01:49   #4
merabandwall

Total Posts: 2
I know Louise Jennings personally. How can I contact you? Do you want to leave me a number? Louise is now 95 years old.
25-10-2014, 08:13   #5
STUNMON

Total Posts: 436
Hibberts was my fathers favourite art shop. I believe it opened in the 1930s. It was such an important part of Sheffield, and much missed. Sadly it closed in 1999 due to the increased rates etc which has led to the state Sheffield City centre is in today.
Reply To Topic