Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Can you get sacked for comments on facebook?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Business & Employment

Reply To Topic

13-02-2011, 13:27   #21
rubydazzler

Total Posts: 20,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyofborg View Post
no its not, a comment in a pub is to a handfull of people who will forget it, a comment on facebook can be seen by millions and will exist forever.
Even if you have all the privacy settings to the max? And even if you delete it having thought better of it? Your so-called friends would really have to have it in for you to give your boss their password so s/he could see your comment or do a screen grab?

People who aren't your friends, you can only see their name and possibly a profile pic not their statuses.

ETA: having read further I see I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Last edited by rubydazzler; 13-02-2011 at 13:32.
13-02-2011, 13:30   #22
HeadingNorth

Total Posts: 21,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by indizine View Post
I think that's what Karis meant by 'its not the same' - because it can rarely be proven whereas anything in writing by the author, can be.
If so, then fair enough; but people seem to be suggesting that the cases that do become public shouldn't be acted upon, since if people had their settings sufficiently harsh, they would not have become public.

That's clearly silly. There have been cases of people being fired for "something they said in a pub" - usually because they didn't know who was sitting at the next table and couldn't help but hear them. Bringing your employer into disrepute is always a dismissable offence (subject to appropriate disciplinary rules); whether anyone finds out about it only decides whether it is acted upon - not whether it deserved to be.
13-02-2011, 13:54   #23
indizine

Total Posts: 4,090
Send a message via Skype™ to indizine
Yes, if you repeat anything to anyone, there is always a chance it could backfire on you. People havea habit of telling someone else 'in confidence' then that person tells another 'in confidence'....until the chain breaks down and it gets out and back to the person (or company in this case) being talked about, either verbally or written. Safest bet is never to repeat anything except those closest to you and never write it down anywhere. However, you canot dismiss someone for being a whistleblower ie if the employee tells someone they suspect the employer is doing something they shouldn't be, such as a criminal offence. Of course, you'd need to have your facts evidenced first!
_______
Joomla and Wordpress Website Design | Ecommerce Website Design

Contact Us TODAY!
13-02-2011, 14:08   #24
Karis
Evil Overlord

Total Posts: 6,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadingNorth View Post
Theoretically, it is exactly the same. Theoretically, you can be fired for bringing your company into disrepute during a pub conversation - it's just harder to prove that you did. On Facebook, it's very easy to prove.
No. It's NOT the same. There's a massive difference between saying you are bored and putting a company in disrepute.

Either way, talking about work where pretty much anyone can read it is never a good idea.

I would never say anything negative about work online - you might as well have a target sign on your back!
_______
www.candymonster.co.uk - unique horror themed chocolates - coming soon!
www.bathbliss.co.uk - for the best in luxury bath products

Last edited by Karis; 13-02-2011 at 14:11.
13-02-2011, 14:54   #25
indizine

Total Posts: 4,090
Send a message via Skype™ to indizine
Right, you mean saying you are bored and saying something that brings disrepute is different, not the fact it is verbal or written.

Well its irrelevant either way under 12 months employment as you can be dismissed for either on the grounds of just being 'unsuitable'. However after that time, the employer would have to justify to a tribunal what is 'disrepute' as being bored is how they feel about the work they do, its not saying anything bad about the company. A dismissal has to have good grounds. I doubt that an emplyer could say to a tribunal that they read that an employee was bored in their job, so they sacked them after working there 3 years, and get away with it.
_______
Joomla and Wordpress Website Design | Ecommerce Website Design

Contact Us TODAY!
13-02-2011, 15:15   #26
Karis
Evil Overlord

No, I was saying: don't slag off your employer. Ever. Online.

Any employer looking for an excuse to get rid of someone would use any excuse, being bored or something worse.

In terms of severity, though, its light years between a one off bored comment and a slagging off.
_______
13-02-2011, 20:35   #27
ricgem2002

Total Posts: 6,507
remember these sayings "loose talk costs lives" and " walls have ears"
Sponsored Links
13-02-2011, 22:56   #28
staninoodle

Total Posts: 1,944
A lass on my facebook slammed the carehome she worked in,not content,she went on to slate her elderly residents too,the rubbish she spouted was truely awfull.
Im pretty sure it made the star, and was big news,around 6 or 8 months ago,needless to say,she left her position,and created a new facebook Id
_______
Not often im right,but iv never been wrong!
2015 and we will have the ashes back!
14-02-2011, 08:56   #29
HeadingNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karis View Post
No. It's NOT the same. There's a massive difference between saying you are bored and putting a company in disrepute.
That is not what I was talking about, so why are you pretending to disagree with me?
14-02-2011, 09:05   #30
Karis
Evil Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadingNorth View Post
That is not what I was talking about, so why are you pretending to disagree with me?
Edit: Waste of time posting anything when people react and take things to extremes like this...

/sigh
_______

Last edited by Karis; 14-02-2011 at 09:09.
14-02-2011, 12:04   #31
TJC1

Total Posts: 3,179
I agree making comments about your employer on facebook could be a sackable offence. The grey area is if you send a private message to a friend on facebook and somehow it got into the public domain- I think you could have a case for not being sacked then.

Either way, its rather silly to discuss your worklife in negative ways with anyone on facebook, it should be used as a social forum, not a place to air your grievances- face to face with someone trusted or talk to your employer are the best channels IMO.

Last edited by TJC1; 14-02-2011 at 12:07. Reason: ...
14-02-2011, 14:48   #32
decaff

Total Posts: 779
If you're simply saying stuff like "roll on 5pm" or "roll on the weekend" etc then it's a bit harsh to sack someone and there would probably be a case at a tribunal.

However, if you're making specific reference to disliking your job, or not liking your boss etc then yes it seems perfectly fair and reasonable for your company to sack you.
_______
You are not a gangster so please pull up your pants
16-02-2011, 18:32   #33
SJB53

Total Posts: 6
I think so, you have to really try and keep your work and social life separate - unfortunately social networking makes this harder - you should activate all the privacy settings on your facebook account so only friends can see them. This should stop your employers coming across them?
21-02-2011, 02:43   #34
pencil skirt

Total Posts: 36
Completely agree with karis and understand your frustration.......sitting in a pub and slagging off your boss/company to friends is nothing like writing it as your status on facebook where potentially 300 or so 'friends' can see it!
21-02-2011, 21:19   #35
natashajayne

Total Posts: 11
I have a few examples of this: A friend of mine got rejected from a job because of photos on facebook. Another got a disciplinary for making digs about there work place on facebook and another frend of mine has to monitor her facebook as she works within the NHS and gets constant checks on photos status's and comments - Its rediculous really... I see it as an invasion of privacy but then on the other hand if you dont want people to see it dont post it.

I can see both sides of the argument but I kind of feel if in work you do your job well then ur personal life out of work shouldnt effect your working life unless you work with children etc
21-02-2011, 21:30   #36
HeadingNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil skirt View Post
Completely agree with karis and understand your frustration.......sitting in a pub and slagging off your boss/company to friends is nothing like writing it as your status on facebook where potentially 300 or so 'friends' can see it!
Actually it is exactly the same thing; it's bringing your employer into disrepute. Whether or not other people find out about it does not remotely affect the nature of the offence. That only affects whether you're likely to get away with it, not that you have done wrong.
22-02-2011, 21:49   #37
the_bloke

Total Posts: 846
If your contract has clauses about social networking and what you can't say about either your job, colleagues or the copmany you work for, and/or the contract has clauses about lowering the image of the company or bringing the company into disrepute.. then yes.

If it doesn't and you are sacked regardless, then you have grounds to take it to a tribunal tbh.
06-03-2011, 22:21   #38
Fina 16

Total Posts: 26
Its all about confidentiality
Reply To Topic