Sheffield Forum
Your message here

7 seater, Small engine??

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

09-01-2011, 12:35   #1
girlredifine

Total Posts: 793
Just a quick question, are there any nice looking 7 seater cars with small engines???? we need a 7 seater for our brood but my oh insurance is sky high on anything over a 1.2 we are obviosly willing to pay abit more but are desperate to find something in our price range!

thanks for looking
09-01-2011, 14:00   #2
Plain Talker
Happy Hijaabi

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 42,452
Just a bit of a warning... a 1.2 engine may be too underpowered for a people carrier type, girlred... especially for a 7-seater.

And the straining of the engine will do it no good for wear and tear, nor for petrol consumption.
_______
Muslim Women should not wear veils, says page 1 of The Sun...
For further information about The Sun's opinion of women, turn to page 3

"People can be taught how to HATE, people can be taught how to SPELL... But apparently, it's one or the other"
09-01-2011, 14:26   #3
the_rudeboy
ruder than you

Total Posts: 9,620
Send a message via MSN to the_rudeboy
Think you'll be looking at a 1.6 minimum. As PT says, much less would be underpowered. I think the Zafira and Grand Scenic come in a 1.6 variant.
_______
TOP TIP: Recreate your very own version of the Hungry Hippo’s game by going along to a Weight Watchers meeting and emptying a box of Maltesers on the floor.
09-01-2011, 14:52   #4
clownaround

Total Posts: 509
Zafira do a 1.6 petrol and a 1.9 deisel. I would choose the latter.
09-01-2011, 15:09   #5
danny11

Total Posts: 1,112
Grand scenic 1.5dci
13-01-2012, 23:30   #6
xsport

Total Posts: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny11 View Post
Grand scenic 1.5dci
Yep grand scenic 1.5dci. My friend has one of these and even though its only a small engine, it is still quite powerful and very nippy.
_______
NOT ON THIS FORUM ANYMORE.
14-01-2012, 14:11   #7
big_g

Total Posts: 1,599
If I recall correctly, the VW Touran now comes in a 1.2 format.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/?ccd_cus...ines/overview/
Sponsored Links
14-01-2012, 14:21   #8
MrMoran

Total Posts: 3,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlredifine View Post
Just a quick question, are there any nice looking 7 seater cars with small engines???? we need a 7 seater for our brood but my oh insurance is sky high on anything over a 1.2 we are obviosly willing to pay abit more but are desperate to find something in our price range!

thanks for looking
1.6 with 1.4 being the very minimum for a 7 seater. Otherwise as PT says it wont have enough power to do the job and will cause more wear and tear on the engine.
I have a 1.6 7 seater Scenic and when it has 7 in the car you can tell its not liking it very much.
14-01-2012, 14:41   #9
Plain Talker
Happy Hijaabi

Forum Helper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Talker View Post
Just a bit of a warning... a 1.2 engine may be too underpowered for a people carrier type, girlred... especially for a 7-seater.

And the straining of the engine will do it no good for wear and tear, nor for petrol consumption.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoran View Post
1.6 with 1.4 being the very minimum for a 7 seater. Otherwise as PT says it wont have enough power to do the job and will cause more wear and tear on the engine.
I have a 1.6 7 seater Scenic and when it has 7 in the car you can tell its not liking it very much.
My ex had a Fiat ("Fix It Again Tomorrow) Doblo, with a 1200 engine, and it was woefully bad. So underpowered it strained all the time, and it drank petrol like there was no tomorrow, it was thirsty as heck.
_______

"People can be taught how to HATE, people can be taught how to SPELL... But apparently, it's one or the other"
15-01-2012, 09:43   #10
intruder 600

Total Posts: 546
we have a citroen synergie 1.9 td,7 seater,good for kids and all the rear seats come out,turning it into a van,very handy,good on fuel,the insurance on this is cheaper than some cars we looked at,we did have a scenic,but found it under powered,had to boot it when full,using more petrol,,
15-01-2012, 09:45   #11
MrMoran

Total Posts: 3,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Talker View Post
My ex had a Fiat ("Fix It Again Tomorrow) Doblo, with a 1200 engine, and it was woefully bad. So underpowered it strained all the time, and it drank petrol like there was no tomorrow, it was thirsty as heck.

Never heard them called that before.
15-01-2012, 10:06   #12
Plain Talker
Happy Hijaabi

Forum Helper
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoran View Post

Never heard them called that before.
It certainly was true with that particular vehicle. It was one of those "Friday afternoon/ Monday morning" cars. (also known as a lemon).

There was a diaphragm in the fuel pump that kept perishing with monotonous regularity, resulting in fuel leaks, there was a gearbox issue, and goodness knows how many other faults. It was a wheeled trash-can. Strangely enough, my Bro-in-law had the 2.0l diesel version of the Doblo, and that one was a banging vehicle, it performed fantastically, not a jot of bother, no power issues, never leaked. Totally the opposite of the one ex had.
_______

15-01-2012, 10:33   #13
MrSmith

Total Posts: 8,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlredifine View Post

thanks for looking
Here’s a cheap to run 8 seater
15-01-2012, 11:01   #14
Tomm06

Total Posts: 1,756
My dad has a 1.9 turbo diesel Scenic (X reg) and that has been fine for him, I don't think he's had one issue so far apart from the EGR Valve clogging. I forget the exactlys, but I know he pays I think...£60 a month for it insurance wise. The engine seems to pull okay, and it seems pretty good fuel wise. Doesn't have 7 seats, but I'd say it's a decent engine if they're still using it in the newer ones.
15-01-2012, 12:06   #15
Resident

Total Posts: 3,899
As others have said, a small engine in a 7-seater will be a false economy. Even the 1.6 engined ones that I've driven (Zafira & Galaxy) seemed to struggle at times.

What you'd save on the insurance you'd be paying in maintainence and fuel because you'd be gunning it to get it moving.

With a 7-seater personally I'd go for nothing less than a 1.9TDi. It's extra cost on the insurance sure, but you will most likely make good savings on the fuel bill.
_______
As a child I had an imaginary friend, then I grew up and stopped going to church.
15-01-2012, 15:26   #16
Miss_S_83

Total Posts: 3,895
We had a 1.6 Zafira (petrol)... had to get rid- engine too small and gulped fuel like it was going out of fashion.
_______
I am female.
Reply To Topic